PDA

View Full Version : Happy Midsummer!

Asta Kask
2010-06-25, 06:05 AM
Anyways, Happy Midsummer!

This is the true national day of Sweden, when we celebrate like no other day of the year. It's also the festival that proved the most difficult for the church to subvert - they tried calling it St John's Day, but it never really caught on. It's a fertility festival and always has been. Lots of drinking, lots of dancing and lots of... other fertility-related activities.

Serpentine
2010-06-25, 06:07 AM
>puts on snuggly hoodie, Big Green Coat, scarf and gloves in preparation for the long, cold, dark 4km 9pm walk home<

*grumblegrumblegrumbleWHYIOUGHTAgrumblemumblegrouc h*

Teddy
2010-06-25, 06:14 AM
Woot, midsummer! I'm currently sitting in the middle of nowhere and was almost drenched by a short but intensive downpour. Well, I plan on sticking my nose out of the door soon, and start exploring the surroundings before lunch.

Asta Kask
2010-06-25, 06:40 AM
>puts on snuggly hoodie, Big Green Coat, scarf and gloves in preparation for the long, cold, dark 4km 9pm walk home<

Say Hello to the drop bears from me... :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2010-06-25, 08:55 AM
OI POSSUM! SOME NERD FROM THE 'NET SAYS G'DAY!

I saw a possum on my way home. Our possums > your opossums.

Eadin
2010-06-25, 08:59 AM
Yay for parties and lots of drinking!
Can I come?:smallbiggrin:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-25, 09:08 AM
*points and laughs at the entire southern Hemisphere*

:smallbiggrin:

Jokasti
2010-06-25, 09:16 AM
Wasn't midsummer on the 21st? :smallconfused:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-25, 09:17 AM
Wasn't midsummer on the 21st? :smallconfused:
Svedes have a delayed reaction maybe.

Vargtass
2010-06-25, 09:31 AM
Summer solstice and Swedish Midsummer do not coincide, strangely enough. I think it is in order to ensure that the celebrations are always on a Friday, which intervenes less with work. So we celebrate on the first Friday after June 20.

@ Asta: Även i Holland är vi några tappra själar som kommer att dansa Små Grodorna ikväll!

(translation: Some brave expatriate Swedes will dance the Little Frogs dance tonight, also in Holland!)

Happy Midsummer indeed!

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-25, 09:34 AM
Summer solstice and Swedish Midsummer do not coincide, strangely enough. I think it is in order to ensure that the celebrations are always on a Friday, which intervenes less with work. So we celebrate on the first Friday after June 20.
In America we delay it for 2 weeks and called it Independence Day. It's odd how even when totally unrelated we have a holiday next to nearly every solstice-based day.

Weimann
2010-06-25, 09:41 AM
Hooray! Swedish Midsummer! :D

I work all damn day! :D

At least the sun is shining.

Eadin
2010-06-25, 09:48 AM
In America we delay it for 2 weeks and called it Independence Day. It's odd how even when totally unrelated we have a holiday next to nearly every solstice-based day.

Most holidays are based on pagan feasts , like All Saint's day is the day after Halloween or Samhain , a Celtic Harvest Festival that also has some elements of a festival to honor the dead...
Christmas around the day of the winter solstice, when the pagans celebrated Yule

Serpentine
2010-06-25, 09:52 AM

:smallbiggrin:http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/funny-dog-pictures-sad-face.jpg
Meaniepants :smallfrown:

Syka
2010-06-25, 09:56 AM
Hey Serp, we should pair up. Spend April-September in the Northern Hemisphere and October-March in the Southern. :smallbiggrin:

*mutters about how unsure she is she'll survive her first northern winter in a year and a half...*

UnChosenOne
2010-06-25, 10:02 AM
Ah, this time of year already? Well, greetings from your old possession Swedes and happy midsummer for you too.

Castaras
2010-06-25, 11:14 AM
Silly peoples, midsummer's day was on the 21st.

Keep up don't you? :smallbiggrin:

Teddy
2010-06-25, 11:36 AM
Silly peoples, midsummer's day was on the 21st.

Keep up don't you? :smallbiggrin:

Since the summer usually starts somwhere in the middle/end of May, and ends at the beginning of September, I'd say that the true midsummer should be somewhere in the middle of July. :smalltongue:

Dallas-Dakota
2010-06-25, 11:39 AM
Wrong, look at the sun, looks at the days.

21st is the longest day of the year, which is midsummer.

As for me, well I celebrated it the 19th at the Midsummerfair over here in The Netherlands, with lots of mead, good friends and cute girls.:smallcool:

Blue Ghost
2010-06-25, 11:42 AM
Doesn't the summer solstice mark the beginning of summer? :smallconfused:

Teddy
2010-06-25, 11:46 AM
Wrong, look at the sun, looks at the days.

21st is the longest day of the year, which is midsummer.

Midsummer implies the middle of the summer, right? So, either the summer starts somewhere in the middle of April, or ends in middle/late July. Or, you just cut some slack on the naming conventions and leave it at that.

Eadin
2010-06-25, 12:03 PM
As for me, well I celebrated it the 19th at the Midsummerfair over here in The Netherlands, with lots of mead, good friends and cute girls.:smallcool:

I so wanted to go to the Midsummerfair!
Damn you netherlands and your expensive train tickets!
Also : Damn you Belgium for not having those kinds of festivals!

CWater
2010-06-25, 12:33 PM
Happy Midsummer! :smallbiggrin: We celebrate it here in Finland too! In Finnish it's called juhannus*.

(*Not a literal translation, that one would be keskikesä.)

Nameless
2010-06-25, 12:43 PM

I would kill for some cold right now. :smallannoyed:

Asta Kask
2010-06-25, 05:05 PM
Yay for parties and lots of drinking!
Can I come?:smallbiggrin:

Women are always welcome. Fertility festival, remember? :smallbiggrin:

d13
2010-06-25, 05:11 PM

You will burn.

And I'll make sure of that o_ó

Orzel
2010-06-25, 05:58 PM
Hooray for Heat and Sun.

I celebrate Midsummer on the June 26th in the Orzellandi Calender because that's when my friend's mom turns on the grill.

Technically It's the "First Day in the Summer my stomach gets full midway".

*totally didn't get add that to the calender*

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-25, 10:35 PM
You will burn.

And I'll make sure of that o_ó
Already am, but I put on some sun screen before it got too bad. Beach and stuff, y'know.

:belkar:

Asta Kask
2010-06-26, 09:51 AM
OI POSSUM! SOME NERD FROM THE 'NET SAYS G'DAY!

I saw a possum on my way home. Our possums > your opossums.

http://www.kadaitcha.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/dropbear1.jpg

Actual picture of a drop bear eating.