PDA

View Full Version : Construct templates and races?

Morph Bark
2010-06-25, 07:01 AM
I am looking to make a new character for use in my next campaign, and I thought I'd like to have it be a construct. There are tons of books available though (but no 3rd-party or Dragon stuff) and I know there aren't many construct templates... where can I find construct templates (preferably good ones)? I'd prefer them to be LA+1 or LA+2, but I don't mind them higher.

Otherwise, are there any viable race choices with no racial HD other than warforged and its derivatives?

Source references would be much thanked.

EDIT: LA+0, if those even exist, would be even more appreciated. :smallbiggrin:

Runestar
2010-06-25, 07:05 AM
Maug from fiend folio is the only one I am aware of. Steep at 2 racial HD and +3LA, but boasts excellent stats. If you throw on the incarnate template (savage species), you have a very strong PC at ECL3.

hamishspence
2010-06-25, 07:05 AM
the Bogun in MM2 might qualify as a construct with minimal Hit Dice.

Morph Bark
2010-06-25, 07:09 AM
the Bogun in MM2 might qualify as a construct with minimal Hit Dice.

While I have the MMII, I am AFB right now, so I don't suppose you could tell me how many HD a Bogun has? I know what it is and wouldn't be as much interested in playing a thing like that, but I can always tweak the fluff and appearance anyway.

Optimystik
2010-06-25, 07:12 AM
Bogun has 2HD. It is tiny, ugly as sin, and made of vegetable matter to serve a druid.

...yes, it's a druid-created construct, as contradictory as that seems.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm2_gallery/88268_620_9.jpg

hamishspence
2010-06-25, 07:18 AM
I think MM3 has a few others- such as plant sculptures.

Optimystik
2010-06-25, 07:19 AM
I think MM3 has a few others- such as plant sculptures.

MM3 is Eberron, so I'd expect some deviations from formula there.

I'm not really that irked about it, it just seems a bit hypocritical.

hamishspence
2010-06-25, 07:24 AM
MM3 is everything- but does have Eberron (and Faerun) sidebars for many of the monsters. Some don't have an Eberron sidebar though.

I'm not sure why "druid constructs" might be hypocritical though.

Think of it as summoning a spirit into a lot of natural material.

Morph Bark
2010-06-25, 07:25 AM
It is tiny, ugly as sin, and made of vegetable matter to serve a druid.

Exactly why I'd want to re-flavour it some and change its appearance.

MMIII isn't Eberron-only, though it has fluff for many monsters to put them into the setting, or into Faerun.

Hm... back on track, I've read about stuff like elder eidolon, ice beast and dustform recently and was told those are also construct templates. Is that true? If so, what source are they from?

hamishspence
2010-06-25, 07:27 AM
Eider Eidolon- Lords of Madness
Ice Beast- Frostburn
Dustform- Sandstorm

Runestar
2010-06-25, 07:48 AM
Do they have listed ECLs? Otherwise, they might not be viable as PCs.

Eldan
2010-06-25, 07:50 AM
Maybe a bit obvious and not what you want, but what about Warforged? They are LA +0 living constructs, after all. Not full constructs, but the flavour and half the abilities are there.

Optimystik
2010-06-25, 07:52 AM
I'm not sure why "druid constructs" might be hypocritical though.

Think of it as summoning a spirit into a lot of natural material.

So as long as the automaton is made of twigs and berries, it doesn't count?

It's a double-standard. Metal occurs naturally too, and golems are powered by nature spirits (elementals.) So yes, I do consider it hypocritical. Either the class should hate all constructs, or none of them.

hamishspence
2010-06-25, 07:58 AM
Where's it say in the PHB that druids "hate constructs"

We know that they can't wear much metal armour, and wield metal weapons, but there's nothing stopping them owning it, or even working it.

Druids are famous for disliking aberrations and undead, in the novels, more than constructs.

Morph Bark
2010-06-25, 07:59 AM
Maybe a bit obvious and not what you want, but what about Warforged? They are LA +0 living constructs, after all. Not full constructs, but the flavour and half the abilities are there.

Heh, check the first post. Mentioned warforged. I'm trying to look for other options if they're available, so warforged (or scouts or psiforged) are currently put as my last option.

Eider Eidolon- Lords of Madness
Ice Beast- Frostburn
Dustform- Sandstorm

Hm, interesting. I donīt suppose Stormwrack, the third of the "environmental" books, also has a construct template? Or Libris Mortis perhaps? (Or an undead template for constructs/living constructs... that would be awesome.)

hamishspence
2010-06-25, 08:01 AM
Not that I can recall- for Stormwrack.

Effigy template in Complete Arcane is another good construct template for creatures.

If you wanted to homebrew a water-themed construct template, maybe call it Coral Creation, and theme it a bit, using one of the existing templates as a baseline.

Prime32
2010-06-25, 08:43 AM
So as long as the automaton is made of twigs and berries, it doesn't count?

It's a double-standard. Metal occurs naturally too, and golems are powered by nature spirits (elementals.) So yes, I do consider it hypocritical. Either the class should hate all constructs, or none of them.Boguns seem to resemble shikigami, powered by the spirits inherent in their unworked materials.

Greenish
2010-06-25, 08:47 AM
We know that they can't wear much metal armour, and wield metal weapons, but there's nothing stopping them owning it, or even working it.They can't wear any metal armour (unless they worship Mielikki), but they can wield whatever they want.

Person_Man
2010-06-25, 10:34 AM
Volodni get the plant type (Unapproachable East, pg 81) and only cost +2 LA. (You also get half damage from piercing weapons and a few minor perks). You could always just re-fluff it to be a construct. Constructs get a more immunities (disease, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, energy drain, massive damage, most Fort Saves) but lack a Constitution score (and thus tend to have mediocre or poor hit points. So you'd probably be better off as a plant anyway.

Volthawk
2010-06-25, 10:55 AM
In Magic of Incarnum, there's Soulfused Construct, which (I think), makes any construct playable for +1 LA.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-25, 11:13 AM
...No one has mentioned warforged? Really? Or even the variety of warforged like warforged scouts?

Volthawk
2010-06-25, 11:15 AM
...No one has mentioned warforged? Really?

Yes they have. Twice.

Otherwise, are there any viable race choices with no racial HD other than warforged and its derivatives?

hamishspence
2010-06-25, 11:15 AM
The OP said "other than warforged" in the first post.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-25, 11:17 AM
Oh. Well, then, there's the Xen'Drik warforged in Secrets of Xen'Drik. They're full constructs.

Volthawk
2010-06-25, 11:19 AM
Oh. Well, then, there's the Xen'Drik warforged in Secrets of Xen'Drik. They're full constructs.

If you mean Quorcraft (the only other Warforged there is the Scorpion), it also has no Intelligence.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-25, 11:21 AM
If you mean Quorcraft (the only other Warforged there is the Scorpion), it also has no Intelligence.

...which the template you quoted earlier should solve nicely.

hamishspence
2010-06-25, 11:22 AM
It's a template that can only be applied to Warforged (Quorcraft Warforged template)

That said, there's quite a lot of full-construct Warforged out there (Titan, Scorpion, Kraken, Raptor)

The original question was about low-level constructs that might be playable as PCs, without too many racial hit dice or too high a LA.

EDIT: Also, the template says Quorcraft Warforged "as a construct, have no Intelligence score"

So applying Quorcraft Warforged (Int -) to a Warforged Scorpion (Int 4) arguably causes it to become Int -.

arguskos
2010-06-25, 11:25 AM
There are the Golmoids, from Dragon #317. They are created creatures forged from by gnomes as servitors. They are not explicitly constructs, but it's not unreasonable to call them living constructs (they type didn't exist when they were made). They're not very good, but they exist out there for you (+2 Str/Con, -4 Dex, -2 Int; medium, 30 ft land speed; +2 NA, +2 all craft checks, +4 saves vs enchantments, LA +1).

It'd be reasonable to ask your DM to change about the race somewhat, but they're an alternative.

The Golmoids are the big robo-looking fellows.
http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/mist-bound/c07db88d7cff39bb2aa46370f7415e7f.jpg
http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/mist-bound/900fe437cc8f7609f1e6abf9c3f121d3.jpg

hamishspence
2010-06-25, 11:31 AM
Dragon #341 has a whole bunch of low HD constructs.

These could be given intelligence (and the Living Construct type) via the Soulfused Construct template in Magic of Incarnum.

However- that template says "LA: As the base creature +1" so it's not clear if this would work with creatures that are LA -, rather than LA 0 or higher.

Volthawk
2010-06-25, 11:33 AM
However- that template says "LA: As the base creature +1" so it's not clear if this would work with creatures that are LA -, rather than LA 0 or higher.

That's why I said 'I think' when mentioning it. Thing is, it only works on constructs with no intelligence, which always have LA -.

hamishspence
2010-06-25, 11:36 AM
That would probably justify making it work.

Nimblewright in MM2 is one of the few constructs with moderate Intelligence (10). Might have a bit too much in the way of Hit Dice though.

Volthawk
2010-06-25, 11:38 AM
That would probably justify making it work.

Nimblewright in MM2 is one of the few constructs with moderate Intelligence (10). Might have a bit too much in the way of Hit Dice though.

Yeah, they have 10 HD and 6 LA.

hamishspence
2010-06-25, 11:41 AM
The 3.5 update also nerfed their Critical range somewhat (from being 12-20, to being 15-20)

Still unusually good.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-25, 11:52 AM
It's a template that can only be applied to Warforged (Quorcraft Warforged template)

That said, there's quite a lot of full-construct Warforged out there (Titan, Scorpion, Kraken, Raptor)

The original question was about low-level constructs that might be playable as PCs, without too many racial hit dice or too high a LA.

EDIT: Also, the template says Quorcraft Warforged "as a construct, have no Intelligence score"

So applying Quorcraft Warforged (Int -) to a Warforged Scorpion (Int 4) arguably causes it to become Int -.

Not what I'm talking about.

Soulfused Quorcraft Warforged.

hamishspence
2010-06-25, 11:56 AM
Is this a way to get a very low LA- using Quorcraft to turn the Warforged (raptor, titan, scorpion, or steel kraken) into a Int -, LA - creature, then Soulfused to give it back Intelligence, and LA +1?

EDIT: I've checked and none of those four have an LA anyway.

BLiZme.2
2010-06-25, 02:00 PM
You could use the spell awaken construct in spell compendium and savage species I think there is some other stuff in savage species but I to am away from books and my memory is a little fogy on this.

Morph Bark
2010-06-26, 04:00 AM
By the way, does an LA -- template basically count as LA+0 in all this, if you add another template that makes the creature a viable player option again (like Soulfused apparently)?

If not, what LA would befit Quorcraft, Effigy creature, Ice Beast and Elder Eidolon?

Runestar
2010-06-26, 05:08 AM
LA "-" does not mean LA+0, it just mean that said creature is deemed not suitable as a PC race. It can certainly have a LA greater than +0.

Morph Bark
2010-06-26, 11:27 AM
LA "-" does not mean LA+0, it just mean that said creature is deemed not suitable as a PC race.

I know, but they never take into account that other templates could make them into suitable PC choices again. It's one of my few beefs with all things templates, as I love templates overall.

sofawall
2010-06-26, 11:45 AM
-+1 is still -.

Morph Bark
2010-06-26, 12:31 PM
-+1 is still -.

Then how come the Incarnate Construct template can make LA-less constructs into viable PC options?