PDA

View Full Version : Name the Classes in the Brunchroom Brawl!

Zwums
2010-06-25, 09:21 AM
I'm guessing:

4 Fighters: Roy, Enor, and 2 guards (Who may be other classes, or an npc class, can't really be sure here)
1 Ranger: The Belkster
1 Rogue, Rogue mix: Ganji
1 Monk: Man with ponytail
1 Mindblade?: Chick with mindblades?

.... and the Eldritch guy whose class completely escapes me at the moment.

Forget any!?

Morty
2010-06-25, 09:23 AM
The woman with "mindblades" is most likely a Soulknife, a psionic class. The "Eldrith guy" is a warlock from the Complete Arcane sourcebook.

Zwums
2010-06-25, 09:24 AM
The woman with "mindblades" is most likely a Soulknife, a psionic class. The "Eldrith guy" is a warlock from the Complete Arcane sourcebook.

Soulknife, mindblade, my brain isn't quite at full capacity this morning :P

derfenrirwolv
2010-06-25, 09:48 AM
The Psylock? :smallamused:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-25, 10:27 AM
I thought the chic with the fire-blades was some kind of fancy arcane-prestige thing. How do you know shes psionic? :smallconfused:

JonestheSpy
2010-06-25, 11:07 AM
I thought the chic with the fire-blades was some kind of fancy arcane-prestige thing. How do you know shes psionic? :smallconfused:

Because summoning energy-like blades out of nothing is the defining trait of a soulknife.

Yeah, she might be something else, but in that case those folks who look like guards might be commoners coming back from a costume party, and the monk might be a rogue with Improved Unarmed Strike.

factotum
2010-06-25, 12:04 PM
Belkar is a Ranger/Barbarian, not just a Ranger...just sayin'. :smallsmile:

TheFallenOne
2010-06-25, 01:19 PM
Those two guards are definitely not on the smart side. I mean, if some guy just casually flings a large half-dragon through my table my first reaction would definitely NOT be to tackle him :smallbiggrin:

Ancalagon
2010-06-25, 01:21 PM
Those two guards are definitely not on the smart side. I mean, if some guy just casually flings a large half-dragon through my table my first reaction would definitely NOT be to tackle him :smallbiggrin:

You say that now. But wait until your armour, which got just out of polishing...

Jokasti
2010-06-25, 01:32 PM
Dry cleaning, I think.

I'm guessing:

4 Fighters: Roy, Enor, and 2 guards (Who may be other classes, or an npc class, can't really be sure here)
1 Ranger: The Belkster
1 Rogue, Rogue mix: Ganji
1 Monk: Man with ponytail

Forget any!?

Yes, the bartender is an epic level wizard. Only one of those could impress Belkar's taste buds.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-25, 01:45 PM
Dry cleaning, I think.

Yes, the bartender is an epic level wizard. Only one of those could impress Belkar's taste buds.

I think it's more likely he has a lot of ranks in craft tasty drinks and took that for skill focus. Otherwise he could end the brunchroom bar with one spell.

the eldritch guy is a Warlock, the guy with the ponytail is probably a Monk, the girl with mindblades is a soulknife, the two guards are fighters (Or maybe warriors) Enor is a fighter and I'm not sure about Gannji.

Zwums
2010-06-25, 02:30 PM
Just wondering, in the panel where Roy throws Enor, where is his sword?

suszterpatt
2010-06-25, 02:45 PM
Just wondering, in the panel where Roy throws Enor, where is his sword?In a demiplane where greatswords mounted on adventurers' back go while they're throwing half-ogre half-dragons onto a table.

I'm sure if someone goes back through the archives they'll find it has been foreshadowed.

Zerg Cookie
2010-06-25, 02:48 PM
The chick you say is psionic doesn't have any psionic tatoos.
Did we ever see a psionic in this comic without tatoos?

Volthawk
2010-06-25, 02:56 PM

Well, IIRC, we've only ever seen two psions beforehand. The Blue and the Psion Who Could. Not really enough to base assumptions about a whole system of classes on.

John Cribati
2010-06-25, 03:01 PM

Who says the tattoo has to be on her face?

Bongos
2010-06-25, 03:11 PM

I guess we might be seeing one now?

SPoD
2010-06-25, 08:43 PM
Who says the tattoo has to be on her face?

Right, she could have a psionic tramp stamp.

Thanatosia
2010-06-25, 11:19 PM
In a demiplane where greatswords mounted on adventurers' back go while they're throwing half-ogre half-dragons onto a table.

I'm sure if someone goes back through the archives they'll find it has been foreshadowed.
It's called Hammerspace (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Hammerspace).

Secris
2010-06-26, 04:07 AM
As a guy with only the most basic D&D knowledge plus stuff I've picked up here, I'm left wondering what else a Soulknife can do. Y'all stated she's a psionicist, so what's the difference between a Soulknife and your average, run-of-the-mill psion besides the knives? I assume there is some sort of advantage to being a regular psion over a Soulknife.

Volthawk
2010-06-26, 04:08 AM
As a guy with only the most basic D&D knowledge plus stuff I've picked up here, I'm left wondering what else a Soulknife can do. Y'all stated she's a psionicist, so what's the difference between a Soulknife and your average, run-of-the-mill psion besides the knives? I assume there is some sort of advantage to being a regular psion over a Soulknife.

Here's the class. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/soulknife.htm)

JonestheSpy
2010-06-26, 02:33 PM

Actually, even though the stereotype has become psionic=inked, in most game illustrations it's only the Psion who's all tatooed. Soulknives, Wilders, and Psychic Warriors are almost always depicted without them, and where the illustration might be interpreted as showing a tatoo, it's no where near as obvious as on the Psions.

Nitpicky I know, but I find it an interesting case of common perception clashing with reality.

Nimrod's Son
2010-06-26, 11:11 PM
Well, IIRC, we've only ever seen two psions beforehand. The Blue and the Psion Who Could. Not really enough to base assumptions about a whole system of classes on.
The blue didn't have any visible tattoos. The only psion with tattoos that we've seen is the Little Psion That Could. And he's fictional. :smallwink:

PallElendro
2010-06-26, 11:29 PM

I think its the Warlock, from 4th Edition.

Dr.Epic
2010-06-27, 12:14 AM

Well let's look at the facts:

-She wields a pair glowing swords. Light swords even, and one could also go as far as to call them sabers.
-They're in a bar.
-If she severs anyone's hands or arms then I'd say she's a Jedi.

Ancalagon
2010-06-27, 02:17 AM
It's called Hammerspace (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Hammerspace).

Given Roy and the Trouser Titan, wouldn't the Trouser Space be more appropiate?

Nave Senrag
2010-06-28, 09:02 PM

That sounds like the section of Roy's closet where he hangs his pants

kpenguin
2010-06-28, 09:25 PM

The hammer is his Titan.

Nave Senrag
2010-06-28, 09:43 PM
The hammer is his Titan.

I always thought that the hammer was his fists. :biggrin:

Optimystik
2010-06-28, 10:02 PM
Soulknives are just barely psionic to begin with, so I'd say any tattoos to distinguish them stylistically as such aren't needed.

Also, the Blue had no tattoos and he was definitely a psion, so it isn't even a requirement for them.

Erts
2010-06-28, 10:15 PM
Actually, we do see a psion besides just the little psion that could and the blue, Roy interviews one in On The Origins of PCs.
Speeking of which, what does it mean when the energy is red? Pink is arcane, but what does red mean?
Other example is here. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0639.html)

RndmNumGen
2010-06-28, 11:11 PM
Pink is not arcane, pink is V's special color. Each caster has their own(Tsukiko's arcane spells are dark blue, for example, and that bandit chick was purple).

Southern Cross
2010-06-28, 11:32 PM
Interestingly enough,the only D20 class I know that requires tattoos is the rune lord prestige class from Arcana Evolved.

hamishspence
2010-06-29, 02:48 AM
Red Wizard of Thay in DMG requires the Tattoo Magic feat to enter.

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-04, 08:13 AM
Actually, we do see a psion besides just the little psion that could and the blue, Roy interviews one in On The Origins of PCs.
I'd say that IS the Little Psion That Could. Their appearance is identical.

hamishspence
2010-07-04, 01:23 PM
All the tattoos seem to match up in shape. The staff is a bit lumpier in Origin (was perfectly straight in the Little Psion that Could scene- but that might be changing art quality.

SaintRidley
2010-07-04, 02:50 PM
Interestingly enough,the only D20 class I know that requires tattoos is the rune lord prestige class from Arcana Evolved.

Tattooed Monk gives them as class features.

For those not in the know, the Psion can manifest psionic powers (similar to a wizard's spells in purpose and function) while a Soulknife can't. Instead they can make mindblades.

Rowsen
2010-07-05, 05:16 AM

But...he says his class as he attacks Roy...

Swordpriest
2010-07-05, 08:52 AM
But...he says his class as he attacks Roy...

Yep, there's no doubt that he's a warlock and the dame is a soulknife. And the ponytail guy is a monk, probably.