PDA

View Full Version : Help! i nedd ideas for a villain.

Pamela
2010-06-25, 04:26 PM
Hello everyone, I am new in the DM think but I just finish an adventure :D

but I'm having problems with ideas, the latest adventure the players defeted a Necromancer, later they discover that he was working for an evil overlord.

Since they alredy deal if a Magic user.

I want the overlord to be more melee, but can not imagine what class he'll be.:smallconfused:

any ideas?:smallfrown:

I want something like Shao Kahn from Mortal Kombat, but darker and more evil, not a pure Warrior like him...

Doc Roc
2010-06-25, 04:34 PM
Human, Clay Half-Golem [MMII]
Taint is hilarious. Did I mention hilarious? Check it out, heroes of horror.
Adjudicate it from your own perspective, but I'm sure he gets these feats as-or-before he needs them from taint, leveling, and flaws.
Great Fortitude, Combat Casting, Divine Metamagic(Persist), Persist
Power attack, cleave, intimidating rage, destructive rage

5 Dread Necromancer
3 Ur Priest
7 Geomancer
1 Rage Mage
4 levels of frenzied Berserker

Even as a clay half-golem, he can actually still self-buff thanks to the fact that his magic\spell immunity only stops spells as per the golem of his type. In other words, personal range buffs don't have SR, and thus he can cast things like Divine Power on himself without issue. Despite his casty-flavor, his big thing is brutally beating on whatever walks too close.

Some key notes:
Villains need at least sixth level spells if the players are of that level or higher. Ideally, they should have command structures below them that are difficult to co-opt. This means access to spells that cover divination.

BBEGs are a bad plan:
Simply put, the D&D combat system does not lend itself well to fights against a single opponent. An explanation of why can be found in the third post, but be prepared for some gamist analysis.

subject42
2010-06-25, 04:50 PM
Look in Tome of Magic, if you have access to it, and study the Binder.

While they're kind of magical, they make phenomenal melee characters.

Pamela
2010-06-25, 04:54 PM
half-golem? WTF? never herad of this race before, ever, i dint know golens have the ability of have children O_o

Besides he is too magical

necromancer and geomancer ...

I think I forgot to mentions that the campaign is D & D

Shademan
2010-06-25, 04:55 PM
nonono, a half golem is a humanoid that have golem parts forged unto him.
try a half golem (mm2) crusader (tome of battle)

edit: tho' some supplemental books DO give the stats for...erotic golems

Pamela
2010-06-25, 05:01 PM
nonono, a half golem is a humanoid that have golem parts forged unto him.
try a half golem (mm2) crusader (tome of battle)

edit: tho' some supplemental books DO give the stats for...erotic golems

ahh makes sense now, but well is and odd consep, can we have a more normal race? and a more unic class.

and eww that was disgusting x_x, and even so erotic golem are esters sinse they are costructs and are made for Lust and not for reproduction, also they dont have genes... so stop have this ideas

Shademan
2010-06-25, 05:10 PM
never! I'm a perv. thats how I roll!

hm, ok. have a gnome unarmed swordsage. nothing will make the party weep harder than having their buttocks handed to them by a 5 feet tall little bugger of pure whoopass. unarmed at that!

Or... Half-dragon rogue/barbarian. with some tiefling guards, offcourse

heck, ANYTHING from this thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74654&page=43

Pamela
2010-06-25, 05:13 PM
never! I'm a perv. thats how I roll!

hm, ok. have a gnome unarmed swordsage. nothing will make the party weep harder than having their buttocks handed to them by a 5 feet tall little bugger of pure whoopass. unarmed at that!

Or... Half-dragon rogue/barbarian. with some tiefling guards, offcourse

-_- are make fun of me? a GNOME???

what part of the EVIL OVERLORD you dont get it?

Rogue and Barbarian? they are like oposite classes

and a Overlord nerver sneck atack :S

i quit is better i think by my self.....:smallannoyed:

Shademan
2010-06-25, 05:16 PM
hm. true. gnomes arent exactly majestic.
and if it is a very LAWFUL overlord I can see that sneak attacks might be off-putting.
just roll with crusader. they are heavily armed and armourerd and hit hard (and harder as they take damage).
or go fighter/cleric/blackguard or somesuch.
still suggest half-dragon.

Endarire
2010-06-25, 05:16 PM
Classes are groups of related skill sets. A class doesn't define who you are; instead, it tells you what you can do well.

gallagher
2010-06-25, 05:21 PM
how about a Water Orc Half Minotaur swordsage? He will be a beast with all that extra strength, which will make the 3/4 BAB much easier to swallow. if you make it the unarmed swordsage variant, he will be a large creature punching things to death. have him use setting sun and shadowblade primarily, with a little desert wind or tiger claw mixed in for good results

Doc Roc
Half-golem is important because it offers a wide set of immunities. Namely, huge resistances to physical damage, and a near-complete invulnerability when it comes to incoming magic. For a serious BBEG, you're gonna need some way to mitigate these threats, and thus reduce the net debt when it comes to the action economy.

And yes, that's all from D&D. Is this 3.5 or 4.0?

Pamela
hm. true. gnomes arent exactly majestic.
and if it is a very LAWFUL overlord I can see that sneak attacks might be off-putting.
just roll with crusader. they are heavily armed and armourerd and hit hard (and harder as they take damage).
or go fighter/cleric/blackguard or somesuch.
still suggest half-dragon.

He is not LAWFUL he just dont use this tatics, he kick your ass in front of you because he is a Badass..

you know like Shao Kahn from Mortal Kombat
or the overlord from the Overlord game.

i wish we have Dark paladins... dark knigths or something like that...

Shademan
2010-06-25, 05:23 PM
well we Do have the paladin of tyranny or the paladin of slaughter. but I forget what books they are from

Pamela
2010-06-25, 05:23 PM
can i make a Half-golem monotaur? sword sage is little too magic is not?

tell me a Powerfull mellee Prestige class

Doc Roc
2010-06-25, 05:24 PM
Swordsage is as magic as you want it to be. A crusader will work just fine, given what it sounds like your playgroup's optimization level is.

The Glyphstone
2010-06-25, 05:24 PM
We've got Blackguards. Unearthed Arcana has the Paladins of Slaughter and Tyranny.

There's several good Paladin homebrews for variant alignment Paladins. I like the Faxadin myself.

Crusaders from ToB are sorta-paladinish without the code of conduct.

Half-Golem can be any creature with limbs, since the process of becoming a half-golem involves you chopping off your arm and grafting on a golem arm in its place.

Pamela
2010-06-25, 05:25 PM
Swordsage is as magic as you want it to be. A crusader will work just fine, given what it sounds like your playgroup's optimization level is.

A crusader dont have to be good?:smalleek:

Doc Roc
2010-06-25, 05:26 PM

Nope! They can be any non-neutral alignment at all. That was a major element in their design, and one of the reasons why they're so well loved. They Just Work.

The Glyphstone
2010-06-25, 05:26 PM
Crusaders can't be Neutral. Anything else goes.

Opinions vary on if this means anything except True Neutral, or only extremes (LE, CE, CG, LG).

EDIT: You sneak-edited, you ninja.

Pamela
2010-06-25, 05:27 PM
Nice so thats it a crusader perfect, just one more question, wich book he is?

Complete Adventure or compete divine?

The Glyphstone
2010-06-25, 05:28 PM
neither. Crusaders are in Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords (AKA The Book of Melee Not Sucking).

Pamela
2010-06-25, 05:30 PM
Thank you so much :D

gallagher
2010-06-25, 05:31 PM
not at all! actually, a devoted spirit focused Half-golem Half-minotaur water orc would be quite devastating. thicket of blades with a spike chain or something would be rather cruel, as you cant five foot step within 20 feet of him, and he will have like +16 strength (+4 from water orc, +4 from Half-Minotaur, +8 from Large Size)

Corporate M
2010-06-25, 05:31 PM
half-golem? WTF? never herad of this race before, ever, i dint know golens have the ability of have children O_o
I think it was intended to mean more like a cyborg. (Think Darth Vader or General Grevious) But the fluff of golems having children would be hillarious. Or perhaps they need to mature as in My Life As a Teenage Robot.

Also, you're the DM, couldn't you just homebrew what you want your big bad to look like? I mean sourcebooks help, but the great thing about D&D is push comes to shove, you can make it up as you go along.

Shademan
2010-06-25, 05:32 PM
and they are also as magical as you want. really, it's how you describe their abilities.
If a crusader uses "Mountain hammer strike" you can say it like:
"The overlord takes a low, powerfull stance and with a mighty and horrifying warcy he brings his large barbed sword into a wide, powerful arc, shattering any defense in its way"
to
"The overlord's eyes spew red smoke as he gathers the unholy energies of the undermountains to his fell weapon. he swings his blade wich frothes with molten rock, which your armour can do little to stop"
or whatever

The Glyphstone
2010-06-25, 05:38 PM
odd example, because Mountain Hammer is actually non-magical by default. It's only the Desert Wind and Shadow Hand maneuvers that are Supernatural attacks.

Shademan
2010-06-25, 05:43 PM
screw the rules, I have money

I dont even remember what mountain hammer does. I just remember using it last time I played :/

Doc Roc
2010-06-25, 05:52 PM
screw the rules, I have money

I dont even remember what mountain hammer does. I just remember using it last time I played :/

I doubt you could afford my rates. :)
And I AM the law.

Shademan
2010-06-25, 05:53 PM
well I never said it was MUCH money...

Pamela
2010-06-25, 05:55 PM
and they are also as magical as you want. really, it's how you describe their abilities.
If a crusader uses "Mountain hammer strike" you can say it like:
"The overlord takes a low, powerfull stance and with a mighty and horrifying warcy he brings his large barbed sword into a wide, powerful arc, shattering any defense in its way"
to
"The overlord's eyes spew red smoke as he gathers the unholy energies of the undermountains to his fell weapon. he swings his blade wich frothes with molten rock, which your armour can do little to stop"
or whatever

i dont want to use too much magic in this one because in the last one they face a Necromancer and we have 4 Magic user in the party so i want to change a little

Shademan
2010-06-25, 05:58 PM
then you just go all out martial.

Pamela
2010-06-25, 05:59 PM
You bet!

thats the plan..:smallwink:

Shademan
2010-06-25, 06:00 PM
so, are you thinking evil greatsword, malicious axe or wicked mace/flail?

Merk
2010-06-25, 06:03 PM
BBEGs are a bad plan:
Simply put, the D&D combat system does not lend itself well to fights against a single opponent. An explanation of why can be found in the third post, but be prepared for some gamist analysis.

True this. If you really want to run a big fight against a single opponent though, this is what's helped me in the past:

1) Loads and loads and loads of HP. The "final boss" of my campaign had something like 4,000 HP (against a level 15 party), nearly 5x that of the Tarrasque. The party defeated him in less than two minutes.

2) A way to get multiple turns in a round.

3) High defenses WRT the following: fortitude saves, will saves, tripping, grappling.

That's not nearly all of the resources necessary (you'll need more things the more magic you're fighting against) but it's a start, and it's hard to put together by taking existing rules for NPC or monster creation.

Shademan
2010-06-25, 06:05 PM
have the big bad face the adventurers alongside his two most trusted officers

Pamela
2010-06-25, 06:06 PM
so, are you thinking evil greatsword, malicious axe or wicked mace/flail?

Malicious axe, for shure, not make you more evil and Badass them a Axe full of human blood.

have the big bad face the adventurers alongside his two most trusted officers
Im know they aredy kill his Necromancer and royal mage, now they will have to face his chapion a Brutal Berseker and the royal adviser a War and chaos cleric.

Pamela
2010-06-25, 06:11 PM
Now all i have to do is read a lot about it, the history is a little cliche but im just starting at the DM....:smallsmile:

Thanks again for the help:smallcool:

Shademan
2010-06-26, 07:14 AM
wow. I actually contribitued for once instead of just throwing out obscure references and ineffectual innuendos... my life is so full now!