PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Multiclassing and Skill Points

Scorpions__
2010-06-25, 04:43 PM
If you multiclass, when you level up can you only buy ranks in your class skills on a 1:1 ratio in the skills that the class you're levelling in have granted you?

eg. Rogue 5/Barbarian 2 gains a level and decides to go up in Barbarian, does that mean that he can't put the skill points he gained from Barbarian into say, Use Magic Device (since that's a rogue class skill.)?

DM[F]R

senrath
2010-06-25, 04:46 PM
He can put the points into UMD, but it costs 2 points per rank, same as a cross-class skill. However, since it was a class skill for at least one of his classes, the maximum is the same as a class skill.

AustontheGreat1
2010-06-25, 04:47 PM
I believe that the barbarian skills are you class skills for that level, yes. Buying a rank in use magic device would cost you 2 skill points as per the normal cross class skill penalty. Thats just how I interpreted it, you should wait for someone more experienced to chime in. I just hate to see honest questions go unanswered.

Edit: Ninja'd :smallfrown:

Doug Lampert
2010-06-25, 04:51 PM
If you multiclass, when you level up can you only buy ranks in your class skills on a 1:1 ratio in the skills that the class you're levelling in have granted you?

Correct.

eg. Rogue 5/Barbarian 2 gains a level and decides to go up in Barbarian, does that mean that he can't put the skill points he gained from Barbarian into say, Use Magic Device (since that's a rogue class skill.)?

Technically he CAN put the Barbarian gained skill points into UMD, he just needs to spend them at 2:1 so it's not worth it unless you are desperate for a higher UMD and/or aren't planning to take anymore Rogue levels.

But his maximum ranks in UMD is total HD + 3 ranks regardless of where the HD come from since he has at least one level that UMD is a class skill for. So he CAN spend the skill points if he really wants to.

Edit: Double Ninja'd

huttj509
2010-06-25, 04:52 PM
Aye, max ranks are level+3 if it's a class skill for ANY of your classes. (Level+3)/2 if it's cross-class for all.

Skill points to gain a rank are based on the class you currently took a level in, and whether the skill is cross-class or not for that particular class.

Kinda kludgy, but if you go level by level it works.

BLiZme.2
2010-06-25, 11:29 PM
Can I get a rules quote on that? I though max ranks was the same as what you would get if you put 4 points in the skill at lv1 and 1 in it there after and the character sheet slot was just convenience for single last characters and for universally matching skills for all your classes.

lsfreak
2010-06-25, 11:40 PM
Can I get a rules quote on that? I though max ranks was the same as what you would get if you put 4 points in the skill at lv1 and 1 in it there after and the character sheet slot was just convenience for single last characters and for universally matching skills for all your classes.

The maximum rank in a class skill is the character’s level + 3. If it’s a cross-class skill, the maximum rank is half of that number (do not round up or down).

Regardless of whether a skill is purchased as a class skill or a cross-class skill, if it is a class skill for any of your classes, your maximum rank equals your total character level + 3.
Found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/skillsSummary.htm).

2xMachina
2010-06-26, 01:26 AM
Rouge 3/Barb 2. On lvl up, +1Barb level...
I thought you could put max 6 points into UMD as class skill, then invest 3 more points as Cross Class, regardless where the skillpoints came from.

Or am I wrong?

Keld Denar
2010-06-26, 01:30 AM
You are wrong. Only when you take a given class are the skills considered class skills. It doesn't matter what has come before as far as buying ranks goes. Only for max ranks available.

Curmudgeon
2010-06-26, 01:30 AM
You're not wrong for Rogue 3/Barbarian 3 for being able to make that investment, but you'll end up with 7½ skill ranks total. You would need to spend 6 skill points as a Barbarian to get 3 more skill ranks in Use Magic Device.