PDA

View Full Version : The Kingdom Of Baron In Faerun

ArlEammon
2010-06-25, 04:48 PM
I"m more familiar with Toril than I am with the Avatar world. This time, I've copy/pasted most of the Avatar post I made and made some revisions.

The Kingdom Of Baron. . .An interesting land in the world of Toril. A land of innovation, yet of peculariarity . . A land of magic, and yet of a special kind. The Kingdom of Baron possesses a Royal Gaurd, Squadrons of Dark Knights, Lancers who can leap high into the air while armored and heavily armed with ease, called Dragoons, and Wizards of both the white and black variety who can destroy with their magic or heal, respectively. But their most powerful asset is their mighty airships, engineered by the great Cid Highwind.

1)Kingdom of Baron with all their assets, including Golbez and his cronies, and monster soldiers.
2)Kingdom of Baron without their assets, other than Dark Knights, Dragoons, Wizards, Soldiers and Royal Guards

hamishspence
2010-06-25, 05:01 PM
Airships in Faerun are somewhat rare (Halruaa is the only place that normally uses them- though a few Halruaan skyships have found their way into other hands.

That said, the Border Kingdoms is basically a zone full of small kingdoms established by adventurers (and frequently those kingdoms get taken over)- a bit like the Western Continent in OoTS.

Maybe there would be a good place to set the Kingdom of Baron- less risk of it getting in the way of official Faerunian kingdoms?

ArlEammon
2010-06-25, 05:03 PM
Airships in Faerun are somewhat rare (Halruaa is the only place that normally uses them- though a few Halruaan skyships have found their way into other hands.

That said, the Border Kingdoms is basically a zone full of small kingdoms established by adventurers (and frequently those kingdoms get taken over)- a bit like the Western Continent in OoTS.

Maybe there would be a good place to set the Kingdom of Baron- less risk of it getting in the way of official Faerunian kingdoms?

That's always a problem with D&D verses: Where to place the opposing faction. Maybe baron could be on an island?

hamishspence
2010-06-25, 05:16 PM
I picked an island for my first homebrew Faerun town- the Icepeak, just a little southwest of Icewind Dale. It was a whaling town- basically a Faerunian Nantucket or New Bedford.

You could pick somewhere "off the edge of the map" like just east and south of the Raurin desert on the farthermost right of the Faerun map, but not part of Kara-tur or Zakhara (which aren't described in 3rd ed, but were described in 2nd ed.

Or even go round the world and put it on the Maztican continent, or one of the other small continents far away from Faerun.

There are lots of ways to incorporate things.

Taking an existing Faerun nation, and doing "your version" of it with the Kingdom of Baron rules, can work too- Halruua, or Nimbral (which is an island, with knights on flying horses).

ArlEammon
2010-06-25, 05:19 PM
I picked an island for my first homebrew Faerun town- the Icepeak, just a little southwest of Icewind Dale. It was a whaling town- basically a Faerunian Nantucket or New Bedford.

You could pick somewhere "off the edge of the map" like just east and south of the Raurin desert on the farthermost right of the Faerun map, but not part of Kara-tur or Zakhara (which aren't described in 3rd ed, but were described in 2nd ed.

Or even go round the world and put it on the Maztican continent, or one of the other small continents far away from Faerun.

There are lots of ways to incorporate things.

Taking an existing Faerun nation, and doing "your version" of it with the Kingdom of Baron rules, can work too- Halruua, or Nimbral (which is an island, with knights on flying horses).

I think I might do that, one of these days. THanks.

On the subject though, of how powerful the Kingdom of Baron is in Toril? Just how powerful is it?

hamishspence
2010-06-25, 05:25 PM
Might depend what level the Baron wizards translate to, and how many of them there are.

Some Faerun kingdoms have hundreds of wizards and dozens of high-level ones (Zhentil Keep, Thay, Shade, Halruua)- all are major figures on the world scene. If Baron's wizards are few by comparison, and only moderate level at most, Baron will probably be a small-time player- more like Cormyr.

ArlEammon
2010-06-25, 05:27 PM
Might depend what level the Baron wizards translate to, and how many of them there are.

Some Faerun kingdoms have hundreds of wizards and dozens of high-level ones (Zhentil Keep, Thay, Shade, Halruua)- all are major figures on the world scene. If Baron's wizards are few by comparison, and only moderate level at most, Baron will probably be a small-time player- more like Cormyr.

Yet, Baron has monsters, Royal Gaurds, Dark Knigths and Dragoons in addition to their airships. I think they'd be more than a small time player like Cormyr. True about the wizards though.

hamishspence
2010-06-25, 05:32 PM
Maybe Zhentil Keep scale (the Keep has a lot of monsters at its disposal- beholders, nagas, etc, as well as armies with some blackguard members)

Places like Zhentil Keep and Thay exert a lot of influence via trade, as well as their martial and magical might.

Some places (like Waterdeep or Aglarond) tend to have more just monstrous cavalry, than assortments of powerful monsters.

ArlEammon
2010-06-25, 05:33 PM
That's interesting. Although I'd be interested in seeing Elminster in a group of 5 fighting the 4 Elemental Fiends.

hamishspence
2010-06-25, 05:51 PM
Are they Avatar's equivalent of the 4 "Princes of Elemental Evil" in D&D?

ArlEammon
2010-06-25, 05:56 PM
Are they Avatar's equivalent of the 4 "Princes of Elemental Evil" in D&D?

Oh no. This is Final Fantasy IV's version. Kingdom of Baron is from FFIV.

hamishspence
2010-06-25, 06:04 PM
Ah, right- KoB is from FFIV, you tried it import it into the Avatar world, now you're trying to import it into Faerun?

Either way: what are the elemental fiends like? The Princes of Elemental Evil (as statted in Dragon) are mostly Large unique elementals, with a range of spell-like abilities and the Evil subtype, who have been around since almost the dawn of time.

ArlEammon
2010-06-25, 06:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxQYsgmsEuM

Here's the battle against all 4.

hamishspence
2010-06-25, 06:11 PM
I was thinking more their history, level of power compared to D&D entities, personality, and so on.

I don't know anything about FFIV.

ArlEammon
2010-06-25, 06:14 PM
I was thinking more their history, level of power compared to D&D entities, personality, and so on.

I don't know anything about FFIV.

D&D Elemental Fiends are probably like 1 Divine Rank, if that. Probably more like a 0 Divine Rank.As for their history, all we know is that they serve Golbez. Golbez, who took over the throne of Baron from the King, is a sorcerer who can command lightning at will, withstand the Meteo spell, and regenerates from being blown up, leaving only his hand left. Golbez has mind control magic (although he himself is mind controlled) and can summon a shadow dragon to eat his enemies.

hamishspence
2010-06-25, 06:19 PM
Divine ranks are one of those things that tends to be optional at the archfiend/archomental level. You can choose to leave archfiends as having no ranks, not even 0, or you can choose to give them a few ranks.

As it stands, the Archomental Princes of Elemental Evil have no ranks (but are quite powerful- typically just above CR 20.

Golbez sounds like he'd be quite powerful in D&D terms.

ArlEammon
2010-06-25, 07:12 PM
Golbez sounds like he'd be quite powerful in D&D terms.

Most probably. In addition, depending on if I"m feeling snarky, Golbez might have the Giant of Babil, which is powerful enough to fight an army of tanks and a fleet of airships on it's own.

NeoRetribution
2010-06-30, 06:30 AM
Pollendina. Cid Pollendina and Kain...Kain Highwind.

As for the giant of Bab-Il, I would rather see a throw-down between Golbez's pet dragon Shadow and Bahamut of Red Moon. Rydia's Mist Dragon could be the alternate if Bahamut had other plans.

EDIT: I thought better of my post and decided to add more. In Final Fantasy IV, Baron is the most powerful nation on the planet. They fielded five airships at once, in the beginning, of which Cecil was commodore.

Now...think of a submarine dock. It takes hundreds of men to clean, care, and stock a submarine. It takes more men to provide for all of the above logistically. It also takes cadres of wizards to perform substantial feats, though that is arguable between different settings.

I find it...difficult to think that ten wizards and a handful of flying sailors supported so many airships, their weapons, their bomb payloads, and all of the sheer equipment necessary to constitute all of the above.

ArlEammon
2010-06-30, 09:39 AM
Pollendina. Cid Pollendina and Kain...Kain Highwind.

As for the giant of Bab-Il, I would rather see a throw-down between Golbez's pet dragon Shadow and Bahamut of Red Moon. Rydia's Mist Dragon could be the alternate if Bahamut had other plans.

EDIT: I thought better of my post and decided to add more. In Final Fantasy IV, Baron is the most powerful nation on the planet. They fielded five airships at once, in the beginning, of which Cecil was commodore.

Now...think of a submarine dock. It takes hundreds of men to clean, care, and stock a submarine. It takes more men to provide for all of the above logistically. It also takes cadres of wizards to perform substantial feats, though that is arguable between different settings.

I find it...difficult to think that ten wizards and a handful of flying sailors supported so many airships, their weapons, their bomb payloads, and all of the sheer equipment necessary to constitute all of the above.

It's clear that in RPGs, single sprites representing people are sometimes representatives of many more people.

Mando Knight
2010-06-30, 11:32 AM
D&D Elemental Fiends are probably like 1 Divine Rank, if that. Probably more like a 0 Divine Rank.As for their history, all we know is that they serve Golbez. Golbez, who took over the throne of Baron from the King, is a sorcerer who can command lightning at will, withstand the Meteo spell, and regenerates from being blown up, leaving only his hand left. Golbez has mind control magic (although he himself is mind controlled) and can summon a shadow dragon to eat his enemies.

The Four Fiends are probably 0 or - Divine Rank, since they are fully subservient to Zeromus and are beaten by Cecil and his group... twice each. Golbez is powerful as well, yes, but you fight him long before Zeromus, which is the only one that I'd really assign a Divine Rank to.