PDA

View Full Version : I want to make a player base class similar to a Gleaner.

realbombchu
2010-06-25, 05:41 PM
Yes, I know that would be a Druid, but I don't want to play a Druid. I was wondering if anyone had made the Gleaner into a player base class or if anyone had made something similar. Thanks a lot.

Tavar
2010-06-25, 05:41 PM
Yes, I know that would be a Druid, but I don't want to play a Druid. I was wondering if anyone had made the Gleaner into a player base class or if anyone had made something similar. Thanks a lot.

So....what abilities do you want it to have?

Ranos
2010-06-25, 05:43 PM
You mean this ? (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/gk7uKJeF296jRcx1NJw.html)

Connington
2010-06-25, 05:44 PM
So, I'm assuming you like the flavor of being the local nature man, keeping the village prosperous, or something like that? Play a druid, get the spells Keith Baker invented for the Gleaner along with Druidic utility spells, and maybe trade out some class abilities. There, you're done.

Prime32
2010-06-25, 05:54 PM
What about a mystic ranger? (ranger variant which delays combat styles in exchange for a better spell progression going from 0th to 5th level) Combine with Sword of the Arcane Order and some stuff from the same book and it can be pretty cool.

Or savage bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantSavageBard) , though it's kind of meh.

Heliomance
2010-06-25, 05:58 PM
What's a Gleaner?

Prime32
2010-06-25, 05:59 PM
What's a Gleaner?It's been linked to already, and is also the first link on the Gaming section of the sidebar.

realbombchu
2010-06-25, 06:01 PM
So....what abilities do you want it to have?

That's an excellent question! Um, I'm not really sure. I was hoping something would come to me if I saw other people's ideas. I'll give it a think.

kamikasei
2010-06-25, 06:17 PM
So you want a PC class version of an NPC class version of an existing PC class, but not that class.

Try a nature-themed (cloistered) cleric?

Rothen
2010-06-25, 06:29 PM
Try a nature-themed (cloistered) cleric?

This sounds like a good idea. Take one of the many ACFs to swap out Turn Undead for something that fits your theme better, and voila - heck, I think you could swap out Turning for pretty much any class feature, since a cleric gives up a lot of power by giving it up.

Snake-Aes
2010-06-25, 06:40 PM
Thats the thing...gleaners are to druids what magewrits are to wizards...
Gleaner = pick a druid, remove most class features, give some farmer tools.
Really, a Druid 7 does most of what a Gleaner 20 does. Plus the usual druid stuff.

HunterOfJello
2010-06-25, 06:51 PM
Use the Urban variants for a Druid who lives in a small or large city. Check out the Cityscape web enhancement at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a .

You can replace:

Animal Companion with Urban Companion
Nature Sense with Urban Sense
Ride with Tumble
Knowledge (nature) with Knowledge (local)
Survival with Sense Motive
Resist nature’s lure with Iron Constitution (Strong stomach feat & +2 vs. disease)
Wild Shape with City-Shape (or one of the many replacements that exist)

You would remove many of the abilities that associate druids with living in the wilds with ones that are more relevant with a druid-type who lives in a small community or city and takes care of people as well as the animals in those areas.

(You might also negotiate with your DM to get an alternate spontaneous casting spell series to replace Summon Nature's Ally. Perhaps an improved version of the Spontaneous Rejuvenation class feature that fast heals players for the average value of that level's cure wound spell. If a cure light wounds would be 1d8+5, then it could fast heal 1hp per round for 9 rounds.)

~~

A nature based Cleric could also work.

~~

There's an Urban Druid base class in the Dragon Compendium that you might want to check out as well. I haven't looked at the class properly, but it might hold promise.

realbombchu
2010-06-25, 10:38 PM
Thanks for some good ideas so far. I realize that refusing to play a druid in this case is kinda dumb, but I kinda think there's a hole in the game where a nature based spontaneous caster should be. Besides the Spirit Shaman, I mean.

What is a cloistered cleric? Where can I find it?

PersonMan
2010-06-25, 10:40 PM
Thanks for some good ideas so far. I realize that refusing to play a druid in this case is kinda dumb, but I kinda think there's a hole in the game where a nature based spontaneous caster should be. Besides the Spirit Shaman, I mean.

UA variant. It should be in the SRDs.

Search for variant classes should find it.

Kylarra
2010-06-25, 10:45 PM

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm might help.