PDA

View Full Version : Brawl in the Playground

Zevox
2010-06-25, 07:50 PM
So, we recently had a thread discussing Ike's relative power level in Brawl that lead to a challenge to some online games by the OP's friend. Though that hasn't actually happened yet, since I volunteered for it I've been playing Brawl a bit so I won't be too rusty when it does, including against one of the posters here once, so I've sort of rekindled my love for the game at the moment.

So, this is a general Brawl thread. Talk about the game, find other playgrounders interested in some wifi matches, etc.

Guess a good place to start is talking about the characters. Personally, I main Lucas, which kind of surprised me since I never liked Ness in the original or Melee, but I found him to be my favorite in Brawl nonetheless, and have actually come to like Ness as well since. Secondaries are Ness, Falco, and Dedede, though I'm probably best as Falco (perhaps even better than I am as Lucas... never been quite sure, but I still call Lucas my main since he's my favorite).

I play a bunch of other characters as well though. If I'm not forgetting anyone, the full list would be: Mario, Toon Link, Wolf, Lucario, Marth, Ike, Zero Suit Samus, Pit, Metaknight, R.O.B., and Sonic. Of them I'm probably best with Zero Suit Samus or Toon Link. Some I'm actually not good as at all, but play just because I like them anyway, such as Sonic. And I still can't adjust to Marth in Brawl. I mained him in Melee, but... for some reason I just can't get a feel for him in Brawl like I did in Melee. It's not as bad as it was when they changed my main in the original, Captain Falcon, almost completely in Melee (I basically can't play him anymore), but I'm still just not very good at or comfortable with Marth anymore.

I've also tried at various times to learn Fox, Samus, Zelda, and Snake, but never got good enough with them or enjoyed playing as them enough to add them to my regular character rotation.

Anyway, my online info is:

Profile name: Zmobi
Friend Code: 4897-5645-8972
Available: Most of the time for now, due to my current job supplying me with only a dismal number of work hours per week. Just post here or PM me, and I'll usually be happy to play.

Zevox

arguskos
2010-06-25, 07:58 PM
I'm one of those nerds that plays R.O.B.. Now, I'm not very good (like, "I still play bots" level of not very good), but I like him. He's pretty much my main character at this point. He's got my favorite Final Smash too. :smallbiggrin:

Yes, I'm terribad, but I have fun dammit!

Raroy
2010-06-25, 07:59 PM
Name: Raroy
Code:3866 7870 0455

I can be on anytime, really.

I main lucario, he is pretty much the only character I use. I also won the gitp brawl tournament a while back, not that it was significant or anything :smallcool:.

Mirrinus
2010-06-25, 08:04 PM
I don't play often, as I don't have a Wii, but I do play with my friends occassionally when we get together. My main would probably be Zelda (no, not Shiek, I mean Zelda), because I'm weird like that. Other characters that I enjoy using are Pit, Yoshi, and Dedede. However, this was usually a moot point, as my old housemates and I used to have the habit of setting everything to Random. Random characters, random stages, etc. It kept every single game fresh and different, and forced us to adapt to every single character and world. It was actually immensely fun, and became our preferred mode of play.

Zovc
2010-06-25, 08:09 PM
Anyone else play brawl mods?

Smiling Knight
2010-06-25, 08:13 PM
I use Kirby, Toon Link, Luigi, Ness, DK, Captain Falcon, Marth, Ike, Olimar... basically I go through streaks of playing characters and then switching around. I'll post my friend code later. I'd love to see how I do against people other than my usual group of friends. Generally after lunch and late afternoons are when I'm available.

Zevox
2010-06-25, 08:15 PM
Nah. I don't really see the appeal, and honestly don't know how you get/use them anyway.

Zevox

The Blackbird
2010-06-25, 08:17 PM
I like Lucas, but I almost always pick random to try to be balanced and to almost always have a change of pace each game.:smallsmile:

...Except when the game gives me the same person like, every other game. (Usually Ice Climbers then that happens)

Deth Muncher
2010-06-25, 08:19 PM

I have a friend who plays Brawl+. I dislike it.

Superglucose
2010-06-25, 08:33 PM
I play competitively as Snape, and I play Falco/Snake. In Brawl+ I play Sheik because, well, man it's fun.

If any of you are in Norcal I'd like to invite you to UCD Monthlies, periodic tournaments run by the UCD Smash Crew. I'm technically not a member, but I go to all of the functions. Smashfests every friday during the school year!

Zovc
2010-06-25, 08:34 PM
Nah. I don't really see the appeal, and honestly don't know how you get/use them anyway.

Zevox

If you're interested (you don't seem to be), I can point you in the right direction.

I have a friend who plays Brawl+. I dislike it.

I like Brawl+ less than I like Brawl. I like BalancedBrawl and Brawl- more than Brawl. :)

If you ask me, Brawl+ is for pouty Melee fans who should just keep playing Melee, and don't get me started on Project M, as much as I respect their ambition. (I acknowledge that Brawl+ is not trying to recreate Melee, but essentially every "fix" they've applied makes the game closer to it regardless.)

Geno9999
2010-06-25, 08:42 PM
I recently downloaded "Balanced Brawl (http://balancedbrawl.net/)", but my younger bro plays that more often.

I'll post my FCs later, but my favorite characters are: Mario, Toon Link, Luigi, and Wolf.

tonberrian
2010-06-25, 08:43 PM
I play competitively as Snape

Snape? Serverus Snape? :smalltongue:

I usually play as Marth, but I'm reasonable with Pit, ZS Samus, Peach, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Sheik. I also used to be decent with Zelda, but that time seems to have passed.

Friend Code is 2579-0644-1780 under the name "tnbrn".

Partof1
2010-06-25, 08:44 PM
I like Link, Ike, Wolf, Pkm Trainer, and Zero Suit Samus.

Link is an old favourite of mine, from way back on the N64, Wolf is a nice, heavier version of Fox and Falco, who offers the oomoh they're missing. Ike replaces Marth from Melee, as this time around, they gave him a stickpin to take to a gun fight, and however fast he may be, he needs more power. Samus, I play like I used to play Marth. And pokemon trainer is just fun. I think I like Squirtle the best.

KBF
2010-06-25, 08:47 PM

Zevox

The appeal is basically a different/better game, and you use them by loading them onto an SD card and sticking it in your Wii, then going to the Stage Editor. You can't keep any custom stages, though, if you do it that way.

I played a bit of Brawl+ and Balanced Brawl before my disk died a slow and painful death from excessive scratches. I liked Marth in normal Brawl, Kirby in Brawl+, and both of those plus Mario in Balanced Brawl. Good times.

Superglucose
2010-06-25, 08:48 PM
Snape? Serverus Snape? :smalltongue:
Professor Snape is my full handle.

Here's me getting schooled by my friend's Jiggz. I kick his ZSS' ass these days. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blzwQlNkSFQ)

Zovc
2010-06-25, 08:53 PM
I play as Diddy Kong in regular Brawl, but I main as Pit in Brawl-.

KBF
2010-06-25, 08:56 PM
If you ask me, Brawl+ is for pouty Melee fans who should just keep playing Melee, and don't get me started on Project M, as much as I respect their ambition. (I acknowledge that Brawl+ is not trying to recreate Melee, but essentially every "fix" they've applied makes the game closer to it regardless.)

Ooh, can I reply to this?

Why is making the game closer to it's two predecessors a bad thing? Why should they/we NOT make a better/true smash game?

Zevox
2010-06-25, 08:58 PM
If you're interested (you don't seem to be), I can point you in the right direction.
Nah. As I said, don't really see the appeal. Well, outside of eliminating random tripping, anyway, but all the modding I've heard of does more than that.

Anyway, I'm interested in some games right now, if anyone else wants to play.

Zevox

Raroy
2010-06-25, 09:04 PM

Why is making the game closer to it's two predecessors a bad thing?
Some people simply prefer Brawl to melee and 64. Such as myself. Doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. However, games should evolve in their squeals. I feel that brawl is simply a better game then melee.

Why should they/we NOT make a better/true smash game?
Better and true? Seems like you prefer the predecessors yourself. From a certain point of view, trying to turn a new game into an old game seems like a waste of time when you can just play the old game.

Edit: I'll play with you zevox

Zevox
2010-06-25, 09:07 PM
From a certain point of view, trying to turn a new game into an old game seems like a waste of time when you can just play the old game.
I agree, but in fairness, Brawl does one advantage those who prefer Melee or 64 may want: online play.

Edit: I'll play with you zevox
All right then. I'll be on momentarily.

Zevox

Zovc
2010-06-25, 09:18 PM

Why is making the game closer to it's two predecessors a bad thing? Why should they/we NOT make a better/true smash game?

Well, I'm not protesting, I'm merely stating my opinion. What constitutes a "better" or "true" smash game is far too open to interpretation to be used seriously, though, isn't it?

To be honest, I like almost every change to the formula made in Brawl with the exception of random tripping. That doesn't mean definitely that Brawl > Melee, that just means I think "Brawl > Melee, and random tripping is annoying."

Even if every competitive Smash player thought Melee > Brawl, that still wouldn't make Melee a better game--that group can hail it as a better game all they want, but it's still just a different game.

Of course, this post is mostly just addressing semantics.

My stance is: "If you like Melee, why waste the time? Play Melee."

Superglucose
2010-06-25, 09:20 PM

That's where you lose me. You can try to make a game you think is better, great, but your definition of "true smash game" is NO MORE LEGITIMATE than anyone who prefers brawl. Get off your high horse and you'll get more converts than patornizing them.

KBF
2010-06-25, 09:28 PM
See, the first half of what you said does not match the second half. I agree with the first half, Brawl can be a more enjoyable game than Melee. There is room for differing outlooks, opinion and taste. It's important to note that Brawl and the other Smash games were essentially made for different audiences.

Where it breaks down is where you say that other people should just play Melee instead of playing the game they really want to play, which I disagree with.

EDIT: And I should defend my allegation of a true smash game by saying I played 64 this weekend, then some Melee, and the most important thing in those games were taking advantage of stun and comboing, which is gone from Brawl. So Brawl is a different experience, which I don't enjoy quite as much. That's all. I like Brawl otherwise.

Superglucose
2010-06-25, 09:31 PM
No. The most important aspect of Smash has been and always will be reading your opponent.

SparkMandriller
2010-06-25, 09:31 PM
That's where you lose me. You can try to make a game you think is better, great, but your definition of "true smash game" is NO MORE LEGITIMATE than anyone who prefers brawl. Get off your high horse and you'll get more converts than patornizing them.

Where did this high horse patronising stuff come from? KBF's not acting like that at all.

Superglucose
2010-06-25, 09:33 PM
Except talking about how Brawl isn't a "true" smash game. As I said, that's where he lost me.

KBF
2010-06-25, 09:39 PM
Except talking about how Brawl isn't a "true" smash game. As I said, that's where he lost me.

I meant less of a true smash experience, I apologize. It just plays exceedingly different from every other game in the series. If Brawl were the translated Super Mario 2, which is too extreme an example I know and I'm sorry, I wouldn't see the problem in modifying the game so that you can jump on Goombas. I'd think it was a neat edit, and if I enjoyed Super Mario 2 more than 1 or 3 or the real 2, but I enjoyed goomba stomping, I'd probably use it. Then I could have the best of both worlds.

Brawl+ restores what I liked about the rest of the series.

SparkMandriller
2010-06-25, 09:42 PM

And? It's not like he suggested there was anything wrong with playing it. Is it against the rules to not think of Brawl as a true successor to the older games?

You gotta stop looking for offence where there's none intended, dude.

Zovc
2010-06-25, 09:44 PM
EDIT: And I should defend my allegation of a true smash game by saying I played 64 this weekend, then some Melee, and the most important thing in those games were taking advantage of stun and comboing, which is gone from Brawl. So Brawl is a different experience, which I don't enjoy quite as much. That's all. I like Brawl otherwise.

I don't know if it's different, but it certainly seems so: In Brawl- it feels much harder to escape combos than I remember it being in Brawl. Then again, Brawl- has taken a lot from Brawl+'s book, mostly diverging from it with its 'balance' adjustments to characters. Brawl- is just fun to play with friend casually because of how 'broken' each character is. If I were to try to play competitively, I think BalancedBrawl is the version I would choose.

(Allow me to put to light my lack of higher-level 'education' as far as almost any fighting game is concerned. I can play with fighting game junkies and put up a good fight, but generally any person who breaks a fighting game down into a theory can beat me--I tend to break fighting games down into a 'feeling'. :P)

Geno9999
2010-06-25, 10:05 PM
I pretty much have a "If you want Melee-like controls/physics/etc., play Melee" stance on Brawl vs. Melee argument. I can see how Brawl could use some adjustments (like taking out tripping... DAMN YOU SAKURAIIIIIIIIII!!!!!! *Dedede laughs*) Which I hope that will be done for the next Smash Bros.

To change topic, who did you want to appear in Smash Bros.? Geno was my wanted brawler, but with Square-Enix owning the rights and all...:smallfrown:
However, playing as Mega Man or Zero would be cool too... or maybe...

NINTENDO VS. CAPCOM!!!... we can dream, right?

Raroy
2010-06-25, 10:24 PM
Good games Zevox. I don't remember being that bad at brawl. I guess I'm just weak to your certain play style.

That certain play style being better than your opponent. The most cheesy and unforgivable of them all!

Zevox
2010-06-25, 10:43 PM
Good games Zevox. I don't remember being that bad at brawl. I guess I'm just weak to your certain play style.

That certain play style being better than your opponent. The most cheesy and unforgivable of them all!
I don't think I'm necessarily better than you, or at least not by much when you're playing Lucario, actually. The lag in those games, particularly input lag, was fairly bad, and it may simply have been messing you up more than it was me. I know it really screwed with me bad in the fight where I used Metaknight - when I can't even get a short-hop fair off after a d-throw with him, something is up.

Still, good games indeed. I was actually quite surprised I beat your Lucario as Sonic - as I said in the first post, I don't actually think I'm all that good as Sonic (you saw how hard it was for me to land a killing blow as him - you were at what, over 200% when I made that last kill?), and you were certainly good as Lucario. Probably just a product of that recovery you missed early on, which was likely a lag thing.

...I must admit I was laughing at your Captain Falcon though. Falcon Kicking your way right off the stage all those times was funny, and I loved using Pit's Mirror Shield against those.

To change topic, who did you want to appear in Smash Bros.?
Oh boy, that can of worms already? Well, personally, the characters I was most hoping for in Brawl that didn't make it were Krystal (from Star Fox), Isaac (from Golden Sun), Mega Man, Lyn (from Fire Emblem), and Midna (from Zelda).

Assuming third-party characters stay in the next Smash Bros., I'd bet on Mega Man being in it. Unless they decide 3 characters is sufficient for Star Fox, I'd also expect Krystal. The others though I may just be out of luck on. Depends on how popular the new Golden Sun is for Isaac I guess, and on whether its new main character proves particularly popular among the fans if the game itself does well enough. Maybe if Midna comes back in another Zelda game she could be possible, but if not I expect her chance has passed. And Lyn... well, maybe if no real "new" (i.e. non-remake) Fire Emblem gets made between now and then she might stand a chance, but otherwise I'd doubt it.

Zevox

Superglucose
2010-06-25, 10:53 PM
Geno.

And I want Snake and Sonic shown the ******* door. If there's anything I hate about Brawl (and there's not much... it's a slower paced game which I appreciate, and it is mostly about reading your opponent rather than knowing what the combos are, which is why I don't like games like Street Fighter as much) it's that: two characters are in it that were never in a nintendo game. And yeah, I know, I know, there was some MGS spinoff to put Snake in it, whatever. That's like saying Master Chief should get in because there was the Mario/Halo crossover fan game.

That being said, I love playing as Snake... as much as I don't think he should be in the game, I do enjoy using him :smallbiggrin: Grenades are like the ultimate fun ever.

Zevox
2010-06-25, 11:05 PM
two characters are in it that were never in a nintendo game.
Er, the original Metal Gear was on the NES, a remake of the first Metal Gear Solid was on the Gamecube, and basically every Sonic game since Sega stopped making their own systems have been on Nintendo systems, many of the exclusively so. Hell, with things like Sonic Mega Collection and the ports of the Dreamcast Sonic games on the Gamecube, we're probably not far from having every Sonic game ever available on Nintendo systems by now.

Zevox

KBF
2010-06-25, 11:06 PM
Metal Gear started on Nintendo, jeez. Sonic moved to Nintendo consoles a long time ago, and has a long, long history with Nintendo.

The creator of Brawl wasn't even with Nintendo when he made the game. The game's slow departure from strictly character's nearly directly associated with Nintendo is actually kinda appropriate.

Superglucose
2010-06-25, 11:10 PM
I'm just saying I dont' like it.

And Metal Gear was a port to the NES, not an original nintendo game. It's not a big deal, who I feel should or shouldn't be in brawl is kind of a moot point. I just wish it was pure nintendo. Sonic and Snake aren't nintendo characters... and yeah, they've appeared in games on the Nintendo... I just, it doesn't feel right to me is all. Snake is a Sony character, the vast bulk of his games are exclusively Playstation titles. Sonic hasn't had a decent game since the death of the Dreamcast (if not earlier) and to me, he's a Sega character.

It may be appropriate, but it's a step I don't like.

Zevox
2010-06-25, 11:11 PM
Metal Gear started on Nintendo, jeez.
Actually, it technically started on a computer gaming system called the MSX2. Quickly got ported to the NES, though.

Sonic hasn't had a decent game since the death of the Dreamcast (if not earlier)
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.

Zevox

Dienekes
2010-06-25, 11:15 PM
Who cares where a character came from so long as they're fun to play and fit? And considering the eclectic style of SSB franchise everyone could probably fit except Master Chief and his ilk.

My only complaints on the game are really random as hell tripping, and Ganondorf. What have they done to my precious Ganondorf?

Still fun game, though I do slightly prefer Melee.

Zevox
2010-06-25, 11:21 PM
My only complaints on the game are really random as hell tripping, and Ganondorf. What have they done to my precious Ganondorf?
Yeah, I still can't believe that he was left almost unchanged as a clone of Captain Falcon. They found time to do some partial de-cloning on Falco and Toon Link, almost fully differentiated Wolf and Lucas from Fox and Ness (everything sans the specials), but couldn't find time to give Ganondorf moves that fit his character? Really?

Zevox

Bucky
2010-06-25, 11:22 PM
How can we have a Brawl thread here without mentioning our own Dairun Cate's masterpiece (http://www.youtube.com/user/DairunCates#g/c/AC87885918ABD016)?

Mando Knight
2010-06-25, 11:27 PM
The creator of Brawl wasn't even with Nintendo when he made the game.

He kinda was, after a fashion. Sora, Ltd. was founded on Nintendo's yen. Plus, the company has a grand total of two employees (Sakurai and someone else) and only two games to its name... both having Pit as a playable character, and the second isn't released yet.

Yeah, I still can't believe that he was left almost unchanged as a clone of Captain Falcon. They found time to do some partial de-cloning on Falco and Toon Link, almost fully differentiated Wolf and Lucas from Fox and Ness (everything sans the specials), but couldn't find time to give Ganondorf moves that fit his character? Really? Ganondorf's completely different from Captain Falcon. He's super-slow and on the off-chance he actually manages to get a hit without being interrupted, he's ridiculously powerful.:smalltongue:

Dienekes
2010-06-25, 11:28 PM
Yeah, I still can't believe that he was left almost unchanged as a clone of Captain Falcon. They found time to do some partial de-cloning on Falco and Toon Link, almost fully differentiated Wolf and Lucas from Fox and Ness (everything sans the specials), but couldn't find time to give Ganondorf moves that fit his character? Really?

Agreed, I'd be ok if they made some sweeping changes to him. But all that happened was taking Falcon making minute non-important changes and then hitting him with a nerf bat. Because apparently a lower end mid-tierer need to be nerfed

Ganondorf's completely different from Captain Falcon. He's super-slow and on the off-chance he actually manages to get a hit without being interrupted, he's ridiculously powerful.:smalltongue:

He plays different, his moveset is barely changed. Like Fox vs Falco vs Wolf they all have similar movesets off Fox but each differently designed like Falco kicks the deflector and Wolfs diagonal lunge. Ganondorf is largely Falcon moving incredibly slow with a bit of a strength bump. And oddly, it doesn't particularly fit any incarnation of Ganondorfs fighting style from any Zelda game I'm aware of.

John Cribati
2010-06-25, 11:30 PM
So, what's everyone's stances on the "NO ITEMS! FOX ONLY! FINAL DESTINATION!" mentality?

Personally, that makes it boring. I don't own Brawl, but I still play the original on my N64 emulator. It's not as much fun without the randomness. Taking a game too seriously ruins it for half the fanbase, y'know?

Dienekes
2010-06-25, 11:35 PM
"NO ITEMS!

Depends on my mood, sometimes I like no items, sometimes I like all, and a lot of the time I like explosives only.

FOX ONLY!

Screw Fox.

FINAL DESTINATION!"

What codswallop is this? That's one of the worst maps. And it is the most boring.

Zevox
2010-06-25, 11:36 PM
Ganondorf's completely different from Captain Falcon. He's super-slow and on the off-chance he actually manages to get a hit without being interrupted, he's ridiculously powerful.:smalltongue:
In his physics, sure. But his attacks, in their animations and thus things like their range, are almost all the same (save for his u-tilt, which sucks anyway, and fair, which is still a simple fist-bash attack). Which just doesn't fit him - he's a swordfight and sorcerer in the Zelda games, not a fistfighter who bashes people with his knees and elbows. And no, having purple energy around his attacks/people he hits doesn't make his attacks magical enough.

Zevox

Knaight
2010-06-25, 11:46 PM
So, what's everyone's stances on the "NO ITEMS! FOX ONLY! FINAL DESTINATION!" mentality?

I play Brawl more as a party game than competitively. Screw complete fairness, give me my absurd levels with pokemon shooting at you from the sidelines.

Now, on characters we need to have, either Sothe or Micaiah would be awesome. Sothe in particular, there is no knife fighter yet, there are a few mages.

A Tales of X character would be cool too, some of those appeared on the nintendo systems. Maybe not Lloyd and Co, maybe someone like Marta who isn't as known and isn't from as good a game.

I would also strongly support Zant, as the first Zelda antagonist that I feel is actually cooler and more interesting than Ganondorf. The furious sword rush needs to be there, but then he needs a brand new moveset.

A new Metroid character would be nice as well. Maybe Rundas, Gandrayda wouldn't work and Ghor is boring, though he would make a nice boss. Dark Samus could work, as she would have a somewhat different move set, but she might be too similar.

Zevox
2010-06-25, 11:48 PM
First of all, that's a hyperbolic way of talking about that mentality (save the "no items" part). Actual competitive play allows any character and probably around half of the stages, with a handful being deemed "neutral" (and thus equivalent in terms of fairness to Final Destination) and others being allowed as counter-picks (chosen by the loser of the previous match - first fight of a set has to be on a neutral stage). Fox was often considered Melee's best character, but even there Falco, Marth, and Sheik were considered around his level as well, and in any event plenty of competitive players used other characters. So right off the bat that statement exists only to misrepresent the competitive mentality in order to mock it.

Anyway, personally, I usually play with items turned off, though I have no problem playing with them on if the other player(s) want them on. As far as stages go I tend to stick to stages competitive play would allow, but mostly because I don't like the shenanigans of most of the stages they disallow (I will never voluntarily play on Wario Ware, for instance). There are some odd stages I do still like though, like 75m or Pictochat.

Zevox

KBF
2010-06-25, 11:51 PM
Personally, that makes it boring. I don't own Brawl, but I still play the original on my N64 emulator. It's not as much fun without the randomness. Taking a game too seriously ruins it for half the fanbase, y'know?

But you don't have to play it seriously.. Some people want to, it's their right to enjoy the game, so..

NO ITEMS!

When I feel like an epic duel, yus. Items don't help the mood or the style.

Though It's fun to be pretty competitive with them too.

FOX ONLY!

No character is banned the same way as stages or items, they're just impossible to win with. Meta Knight is the new Fox. Kinda. He's so overpowered the community actually shuns using him.

Kinda why I liked to play on mods. Especially Balanced Brawl, where every character is viable on every level of play, which makes the game much more interesting and fun for everyone IMO. People can play Metaknight if they like his swordplay without being rude, and others can play Toon Link/Pokemon Trainer/Jigglypuff/Ganondorf against him and win.

FINAL DESTINATION!

You know what? Heck yes. I like having 1v1s there, I don't mind it being the main competitive stage.

It just feels so epic.

Mirrinus
2010-06-26, 12:02 AM
Who do I want to see in another Smash game?

Banjo & Kazooie. Come on, you know you want to see them again. Hey, if Diddy can make it, so can they.

Hector. Any FE fan should know why.

Krystal. She can use that staff from Starfox Adventures. At least it'd be somewhat unique.

Rosalina. Just because I think it'd be funny.

Zevox
2010-06-26, 12:10 AM
Banjo & Kazooie. Come on, you know you want to see them again. Hey, if Diddy can make it, so can they.
Much as I'd love to see them, the Diddy comparison isn't valid. Diddy is a part of the DK series, owned by Nintendo. Banjo and Kazooie are fully Rare's property, and it doesn't seem likely that their popularity is sufficient to get them in past the hurdles of their 3rd-party status.

Hector. Any FE fan should know why.
Meh. I don't get why he's so popular - sure, he's powerful, but I can't see why people like him as a character. If I were to pick an axe-wielder from FE, I'd rather see Greil, Ike's father. More realistically I'd rather see Lyn as the third FE character.

Zevox

Zovc
2010-06-26, 12:17 AM
No Items?

Nope, I don't really like any item's effect on the game. I don't mind Diddy being able to spawn bananas, and Peach's turnips aren't very good.

Fox only!

Eh, I never played Melee on a competitive level, I felt like I was good with Dr. Mario, but I probably would have been destroyed by people who wave-dashed and what not. I browbeat any of my friends who play as Meta Knight, even the ones who don't know how to use him well.

[Insert plug for Brawl- or BalancedBrawl.]

Final Destination!

It's one of my favorite stages, and it was one of my favorite stages when I mained Ike. Matches against a projectile-spamming Pikachu were lame, but tolerable. I generally choose Pictochat over Final Destination, though. I also like the Wifi Waiting Room (if you have a mod that enables it) and Battlefield isn't too bad.

Characters I'd have liked to see in Brawl?

I remember speculating that Megaman would somehow make his way in. I think Megaman should make his way into the next game. I wouldn't mind seeing more Pokemans, either.

I doubt it would happen, but I think Spiderman would be an awesome addition to the game. Heck, it'd be awesome if he could web swing from platforms (or the stage's ceiling), or even perhaps the bottom of a stage like Final Destination's underside.

Dienekes
2010-06-26, 12:19 AM
You know what? Heck yes. I like having 1v1s there, I don't mind it being the main competitive stage.

It just feels so epic.

Really? To each their own I suppose but to me it seems like one of the most boring levels in the game. It's a flat plane. What's cool about it? In Hyrule Temple or New Pork City you move around and find cover and generally interesting stuff happens.

I just never got the appeal of Final Destination, at least the moving stages keep you on your toes though I don't particularly love those either I still find them more fun or interesting than FD.

Surrealistik
2010-06-26, 12:25 AM
To change topic, who did you want to appear in Smash Bros.? Geno was my wanted brawler, but with Square-Enix owning the rights and all...:smallfrown:
However, playing as Mega Man or Zero would be cool too... or maybe..

Kefka. 10char.

Zovc
2010-06-26, 12:33 AM
Really? To each their own I suppose but to me it seems like one of the most boring levels in the game. It's a flat plane. What's cool about it? In Hyrule Temple or New Pork City you move around and find cover and generally interesting stuff happens.

I just never got the appeal of Final Destination, at least the moving stages keep you on your toes though I don't particularly love those either I still find them more fun or interesting than FD.

The way I see it, you're picking your poison. In Final Destination, you have to deal with campy characters spamming projectiles. In most other complicated stages, you have to deal with any shenanigans your opponent's character is capable of because of the terrain. For example, some moves are useless either uphill or downhill.

Dienekes
2010-06-26, 06:07 AM
The way I see it, you're picking your poison. In Final Destination, you have to deal with campy characters spamming projectiles. In most other complicated stages, you have to deal with any shenanigans your opponent's character is capable of because of the terrain. For example, some moves are useless either uphill or downhill.

Yeah, to me that adds some flavor. You have to know what move to use in geographic situations and when it's best to get the hell out of dodge for better positioning.

Alright another question.

Time or Stock?

Personally, my playstyle definitely should be time especially when playing with multiple people. I tend to be the guy with the most kills by a decent margin. However, for some reason I just enjoy playing Stock more though I tend to win about evenly with lose.

Geno9999
2010-06-26, 08:26 AM
Time or Stock?

Personally, my playstyle definitely should be time especially when playing with multiple people. I tend to be the guy with the most kills by a decent margin. However, for some reason I just enjoy playing Stock more though I tend to win about evenly with lose.

Stock, and I tend to do it even on a lvl-7 comp free-for-all. Because of that, I don't play Donkey Kong very well (under/overestimating his range is another reason.)

Green-Shirt Q
2010-06-26, 08:48 AM
However, playing as Mega Man or Zero would be cool too... or maybe...

NINTENDO VS. CAPCOM!!!... we can dream, right?

I guess when it comes to which characters I want in the game, I'm kinda $#%-out of luck.

Super Smash Bros. vs. Capcom would certainly be nice. Then Megaman would be able to finally fight. And there are other Capcom characters I would love to see in a brawl. Like Frank West from Dead Rising! Where do I sign?!

Personally though, my ultimate wish would be for Super Smash Bros. vs. DC Universe. Oh yeeeeah. :smalltongue:

As for which individual characters, I would LOVE Banjo and Kazooie to be in the game. Unfortunetely, as it has already been stated, they're owned by Microsoft now, who seems to want to kill Rareware. I guess it's possible, since Solid Snake got in the brawl, that mabe Microsoft will allow Banjo to be in one more Nintendo game, but I doubt it.

I would personally REALLY like to see The Rabbids from the Rayman Raving Rabbids and Rabbids Go Home to be in this Brawl. I just love those guys so much. I got my wish kinda half-granted with TMNT Smash Up, a very Brawl-esque game, in which they were playable characters, but it's just...not the same. :smallfrown:

And also Meowth...That's right! From Pokémon. Maybe a Team Rocket Trainer can use and two others him like the regular trainer uses Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard. Meowth was supposed to be a playable character in the original, or so I've heard, but was demoted to Pokéball because of a lack of popularity.

And lastly, Fawful. A recurring (and at one point, MAIN) antagonist for the enitre Mario & Luigi RPG series, and is a fan-favourite. I really think he should get the respect he deserves from the Smash Team, and recognize his popularity and fighting potential.

Time or Stock?

Time. Always Time.

It's a little frustrating when everybody you play with seems to automatically assume you just forgot to set it to Stock, but I've always prefered Timed battles. You can be thrown off as many times as you want, as long as you're able to thorw the opponent off even more times before the time runs out. Any number of things could happen in a timed match, where as in stock if you die too many times, YOU'RE DEAD FOREVER. It's also annoying when playing team battles with other players. :smallannoyed:

Zevox
2010-06-26, 11:03 AM
Time or Stock?

Always stock. Time battles mostly just annoy me - in one-on-one it comes down to a contest of who can have one more kill than the other at the end of the time limit, or else ends in a draw; in free-for-alls or team matches it just encourages people to pick off whoever has the most damage at the time in an effort to make as many kills as possible before the time runs out. Both of which are less interesting by several magnitudes than trying to deplete your opponents' limited lives completely to win.

As for which individual characters, I would LOVE Banjo and Kazooie to be in the game. Unfortunetely, as it has already been stated, they're owned by Microsoft now, who seems to want to kill Rareware. I guess it's possible, since Solid Snake got in the brawl, that mabe Microsoft will allow Banjo to be in one more Nintendo game, but I doubt it.
Snake's situation is very different. For one, the company that publishes his games, Konami, is an independent third-party, not owned by one of Nintendo's competitors. Also, his creator, Hideo Kojima, is personal friends with Brawl's creator, Masahiro Sakurai, and it was at Kojima's request that Snake put in. I doubt Banjo and Kazooie are so fortunate as to have a creator who is also friends wit Sakurai, personally.

Zevox

Ranger Mattos
2010-06-26, 10:00 PM
Time or Stock?

Stock. Only.

Who does eveyone think has the best ranged power? I'm thinking either Link/Toon Link or Snake.

Zevox
2010-06-26, 11:13 PM
In what sense?

Snake's grenades are probably the most overall deadly ranged weapon. Not as potent as, say, a full charge shot from Samus or Lucario, but harder to avoid/block and much more spammable, and still plenty capable of both building damage and killing - not to mention he can be awfully tricky with them if the player is skilled.

In terms of ranged weapons that just rack up damage, though, I'd go with Falco, or maybe Pit or Toon Link. In any event Toon Link definitely beats Link here, since his boomerang does solid damage and his arrows shoot straight without requiring charging.

For just kill potential, Dedede's spike-ball things. Random though they be, they usually kill if you hit with them and the enemy is past 50% or so damage. Non-random, probably Lucario's full charge shot at high damage.

Zevox

Geno9999
2010-06-27, 08:55 AM
In what sense?

Snake's grenades are probably the most overall deadly ranged weapon. Not as potent as, say, a full charge shot from Samus or Lucario, but harder to avoid/block and much more spammable, and still plenty capable of both building damage and killing - not to mention he can be awfully tricky with them if the player is skilled.

In terms of ranged weapons that just rack up damage, though, I'd go with Falco, or maybe Pit or Toon Link. In any event Toon Link definitely beats Link here, since his boomerang does solid damage and his arrows shoot straight without requiring charging.

For just kill potential, Dedede's spike-ball things. Random though they be, they usually kill if you hit with them and the enemy is past 50% or so damage. Non-random, probably Lucario's full charge shot at high damage.

Zevox

Snake's grenades are also hard to see due to their size, which make things worse while you're paying attention to someone else.

Samus is also a good ranged character. In fact, her whole gig is in her missiles and charged beam, one to soften up targets, and the other to actually kill them off. This is coming from a guy who's brother spams missiles then shoots the charged shot at point blank range. CURSE YOU MANDO!!!

Dienekes
2010-06-27, 01:01 PM
So, I was wondering if Balanced Brawl is worth it for non-tournament level players? Me and my friends recognize the strengths and weaknesses of many characters but we don't know many of the cheapest (err, strongest) techniques.

Bucky
2010-06-27, 02:21 PM
So, I was wondering if Balanced Brawl is worth it for non-tournament level players? Me and my friends recognize the strengths and weaknesses of many characters but we don't know many of the cheapest (err, strongest) techniques.

Well, some of the changes still apply. They added some fun stuff and make several characters play more smoothly. They also fixed several moves that just plain didn't work properly (e.g. Jigglypuff aerial rollout). So try playing it, and if it doesn't work out go back to vanilla Brawl.

John Cribati
2010-06-27, 05:03 PM
I have a friend who specializes in Ganondorf, just to rip the entire tier system a new one. The nearly universally declared worst character in the game becomes a god in his hands.

Zovc
2010-06-27, 05:32 PM

If you do, the changes will probably be transparent to you. Some of the changes to characters won't make a difference if you aren't aware of them.

For example, Captain Falcon can follow up Falcon Kick with any other B move in his arsenal (Including another Falcon Kick, so long as he's doing a different one [air, then ground or ground, then air]). If you don't know that Falcon can do this, you probably won't try.

Go to BalancedBrawl's site and look at your favorite characters' pages before using them.

Bucky
2010-06-27, 08:40 PM
I have a friend who specializes in Ganondorf, just to rip the entire tier system a new one. The nearly universally declared worst character in the game becomes a god in his hands.

Ganondorf is an excellent character for stomping weaker players into the ground with. Especially in Balanced Brawl where he literally stomps them into the ground.

Mando Knight
2010-06-27, 10:30 PM
Outside of Balanced Brawl, you'll realize that he's rock-bottom for a reason. He's slower and laggier than Ike or Bowser, without the tricks or reach of the decent heavies (and Ike).

Cynan Machae
2010-06-28, 12:30 AM
Used to play Brawl a lot, and I've been thinking about starting again recently. I've played most mods (Brawl+/Balanced Brawl/Brawl-), I enjoy the first two, but most people I play with don't, so I've been playing regular Brawl more.

If anyone want to play online I'm always free, just tell me. I play mostly with ZSS (my main), R.O.B., Snake and a bit with Link/Zelda/Ganondorf. (for those interested, I used to record a lot of Brawl vids: Brawl playlist (http://www.youtube.com/user/CynanMachae#g/c/85C61CDA9308C55B) (the firsts (oldest) ones are bad tho :smalltongue: )

Vaynor
2010-06-28, 02:34 AM
I enjoy Brawl quite a bit, I mainly play Kirby, Pikachu, Ike, and Bowser (sometimes). I'd say my main character is Kirby, with Pikachu and Ike as close seconds.

I'm not with my Wii at the moment, so I can't post my friend code, but I can post it tomorrow and I'd definitely be up for some online matches if anyone is interested. I'm not that good but I enjoy it. :smallsmile:

Drascin
2010-06-28, 04:08 AM
First of all, that's a hyperbolic way of talking about that mentality (save the "no items" part). Actual competitive play allows any character and probably around half of the stages, with a handful being deemed "neutral" (and thus equivalent in terms of fairness to Final Destination) and others being allowed as counter-picks (chosen by the loser of the previous match - first fight of a set has to be on a neutral stage). Fox was often considered Melee's best character, but even there Falco, Marth, and Sheik were considered around his level as well, and in any event plenty of competitive players used other characters. So right off the bat that statement exists only to misrepresent the competitive mentality in order to mock it.

Pretty much what Zevox said. I'm pretty bad at Smash, and I never play competitively because I'm just, well, not wired for competition at all, but I was a regular at Smashboards for quite a while and made some friends there. That mentality is the furthest from most of the actual good players' - you only see that in the jerks that want to be "in" but don't really know how things work. I remember how good ol' Taj got incredible accolades and praise for managing to be scarily good with Mewtwo, back in the Melee days, and plenty of high-level people played some seriously mean Ice Climbers.

Anyway, as for me, I honestly don't enjoy Brawl as much as I did Melee. I think it's how everything seems to be slower and floatier, less frantic, in a way. The way almost all Pokéballs - which always were my favorite items - are now almost useless, and the fact that one of the characters I looked forward the most to (Metaknight) turned out to be so broken as to be unusable in good conscience doesn't help, either. It's just a gut feeling, but it does really impact my enjoyment of the game. I've been wondering about trying some of these mods, myself...

Geno9999
2010-06-28, 08:36 AM
Finally got around to looking at my Brawl friend code:
Name: Geno
Code: 2750 0824 5164
Mains: Mario, Toon Link, Luigi, Wolf, Kirby.
PM me if you want a match sometime.

Vaynor
2010-06-28, 05:38 PM
Ok, here's my friend code:

2708-4723-0394

PM me if you want to brawl sometime.

Zovc
2010-06-28, 06:02 PM
I've been wondering about trying some of these mods, myself...

Try them. The most you can possibly lose is your custom stages* and a few hours of your time.

If anyone wants help getting Brawl mods to work, feel free to PM me. I'm by no means an expert, but it's hard to mess the process up.

*One method of using Brawl mods requires you to delete your custom stages, you shouldn't lose your stages by accident.

Rigel Cyrosea
2010-06-28, 07:51 PM
I used to play melee a lot. I had a few friends who played too, and though we never went to any official tournaments, several of us were interested in the competitive scene, and took the game fairly seriously.

When Brawl came out I was a bit disappointed. It's a fun game, but I really miss wavedashing. :smallfrown:

I haven't played much brawl in a long time- I never got around to trying any of the mods. Anybody know if wavedashing is back in any of them? I know that's usually considered something that only competitive players of melee did and only to win, but I thought it really made the game more fun regardless of how serious you took it.

Dihan
2010-06-28, 08:02 PM
I've been getting back into Brawl recently. I only really use Zelda and Sheik but I have picked up Link. I don't think I've been doing too badly with him anyway.

Green-Shirt Q
2010-06-28, 09:43 PM
When Brawl came out I was a bit disappointed. It's a fun game, but I really miss wavedashing. :smallfrown:

I'm curious. What exactly is wavedashing? I've heard of it a lot, how it was considered a game-breaking bug that the game designers actually knew about (so there is a debate on whether or not it's actually a bug) but I've never gotten a straight answer on what it actually does and how you activate it. :smallconfused:

Bucky
2010-06-28, 10:11 PM
I'm curious. What exactly is wavedashing? I've heard of it a lot, how it was considered a game-breaking bug that the game designers actually knew about (so there is a debate on whether or not it's actually a bug) but I've never gotten a straight answer on what it actually does and how you activate it. :smallconfused:

Airdash diagonally into the ground. You will slide for a short distance, during which you can do any standing attack. It's most useful when the airdodge is performed a very short distance above the ground (ASAP after hitting the jump button)

Mando Knight
2010-06-28, 10:21 PM
It is also both
1.) Really damned cheap when you can do it at-will.
2.) A prerequisite for playing tournament-level Melee.

Zevox
2010-06-28, 10:36 PM
Pretty much what Zevox said. I'm pretty bad at Smash, and I never play competitively because I'm just, well, not wired for competition at all, but I was a regular at Smashboards for quite a while and made some friends there.
That's pretty much my background on the matter too. I am not and likely never will be a competitive player (though I don't think I'm bad at the game either), but I hung around Smashboards for several months prior to the release Brawl (and for a little while after too) to chat about the upcoming game and the updates about it coming through the official site with other fans, and while there learned quite a lot about how competitive players work, and I respect their views even though I do not share them.

I know that's usually considered something that only competitive players of melee did and only to win, but I thought it really made the game more fun regardless of how serious you took it.
Speaking for myself: I tried to do it a few times, to see what it was like. I found it annoying and difficult to pull off and did not end up with any expectation that it would be worth taking the time to teach myself to do. So I never bothered again.

Zevox

Rigel Cyrosea
2010-06-28, 11:08 PM
Wavedashing is not nearly as game-breaking as people tend to think it is. It's more that the only people who took the (considerable) time to learn to do it properly were those people who wanted to play the game competitively. Thus, people who already were really good make up the majority of people who can wavedash. Being able to wavedash is a useful skill, but it doesn't automatically make you a good player.

The reason I found it fun was that with many characters, Luigi especially, it was considerably faster than dashing, and you could change direction at any time. It's so fun to slide back and forth around final destination as a character with a long wavedash. :smallbiggrin:

A simple wavedashing explanation. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q6X-Oo5wBo)

Drascin
2010-06-29, 02:17 AM
Try them. The most you can possibly lose is your custom stages* and a few hours of your time.

If anyone wants help getting Brawl mods to work, feel free to PM me. I'm by no means an expert, but it's hard to mess the process up.

*One method of using Brawl mods requires you to delete your custom stages, you shouldn't lose your stages by accident.

Yeah, I just might, but of course, that requires finidng them, reading up on what changes each makes, finding how to work them, and then getting people willing to playtest them for a while without dismissing it as "pointless hacking" or somesuch.

As for Wavedashing, I only did it to get to places, and only with a few characters (Luigi being foremost) - the back and forth wavedancing the people who are good manage was well above my skill level or button-pressing speed :smallredface:.

Green-Shirt Q
2010-06-29, 06:51 AM
A simple wavedashing explanation. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q6X-Oo5wBo)

Gee. What a letdown. For the amount of hype and fandumb raving and pulling each others throats out in debate over it, I was expecting something a little more impressive. Like the characters flying. :smalltongue:

Zovc
2010-06-29, 02:28 PM
Yeah, I just might, but of course, that requires finidng them, reading up on what changes each makes, finding how to work them, and then getting people willing to playtest them for a while without dismissing it as "pointless hacking" or somesuch.

You make it sound like any of that is hard (except for the "getting people" part, maybe)!

First of all, there's SmashMods.com (http://www.smashmods.com/), which is a source for the only four noteworthy Brawl mods, to my knowledge. Both Brawl+ and BalancedBrawl are ready to be smash stacked, which is just you putting a file on an empty SD card. Smash stacking Brawl- wouldn't be that hard, either.

If you ask me, the hardest part is getting an SD card, which you can do for $9.96 at Walmart. If any other part of smash stacking is too hard, you're just lazy!

ZeltArruin
2010-06-29, 03:31 PM
I want some Castlevania people in my next Smash game. Maybe Cornel, or that whip guy from Circle of the moon. DSS abilities as the B moves would be pretty cool. Oh, and a DSS summon as the final smash I guess.

KBF
2010-06-29, 08:41 PM
Gee. What a letdown. For the amount of hype and fandumb raving and pulling each others throats out in debate over it, I was expecting something a little more impressive. Like the characters flying. :smalltongue:

Yeah, with all the yelling about 'COMPETETIVE PLAYERS JUST EXPLOIT BUGS TO WIN THEY'RE CHEAP ******************* **** *** *****" you kinda expect more than a couple feet per dash. Sure it's strictly faster with some characters, when you use it to set up attacks (the real rage stuff) it just gives you a bit of extra range.

Not nearly everyone who wavedashes is a great competitive player, but most great competitive players wavedash. Mostly because that was the only real skill that could be constantly refined, rather than out of necessity. That being said, while I miss directional dodge, not wavedash in Brawl. I do however miss the fast gameplay that wavedash supplemented. If I ever get Brawl back I'm going to have to try Project:M at least once and see how badly they've wrecked the game for the more casual players like me. :smalltongue:

Zevox
2010-06-29, 09:35 PM
That being said, while I miss directional dodge, not wavedash in Brawl. I do however miss the fast gameplay that wavedash supplemented.
You know, I don't really see Brawl as having slower gameplay than Melee. I mean, having seen videos of competitive play in Melee, I could see how someone who was used to the speeds that Wavedashing, L-canceling, and the like allowed that to achieve would, but speaking as someone who never used those techniques, Brawl does not seem all that different from Melee in that regard to me. Characters tend to survive longer due to the slower falling rate allowing easier recoveries all around, which can lengthen matches, but that's basically the only major difference I notice (tripping aside).

Heck, some characters' attacks feel like they're quicker in Brawl than in Melee. When I played some Melee at my school's Game Club a few months ago I picked Ness since I had gotten used to playing him in Brawl and my opponent was using Marth anyway, and I distinctly remember feeling that his bairs in particular just weren't coming out as fast as fast as I was used to them coming in Brawl.

Zevox

Zovc
2010-06-29, 09:47 PM
SPEAKING OF NESS!!! (/Lucas)

I can't stand trying to use PK Thunder to recover, I can never, EVER see the bolt to direct it to myself. Anyone else have this problem? I know most of my friends in person do.

Zevox
2010-06-29, 10:09 PM
SPEAKING OF NESS!!! (/Lucas)

I can't stand trying to use PK Thunder to recover, I can never, EVER see the bolt to direct it to myself. Anyone else have this problem? I know most of my friends in person do.
You can't see the bolt? Er, so, you always get knocked so far you're off-screen, yet can't for some reason move back on-screen? Heck, I'm pretty sure you don't get enough distance even from Lucas' PK Thunder Missile to get back on-stage from that far out, much less Ness', which is shorter.

There are the off moments where you're off-screen because you're too far down, but those should be rare. Personally, I usually manage to get by from those through simple muscle memorization for proper guidance of the thunder, though I do still whiff them sometimes.

Zevox

Zovc
2010-06-29, 10:19 PM
Well, the problem generally happens in a four-person brawl. Ness/Lucas gets knocked off to, say, the left side of the screen. The action is on the right side of the screen, so the camera zooms out essentially to its fullest.

Our Ness/Lucas is now barely away from the left border of the camera, but he could still reach the stage with a horizontal PK Thunder. He uses PK Thunder and goes to the left with the bolt (since it needs to hit him from the left), it's now off screen.

Zevox
2010-06-29, 10:26 PM
Well, the problem generally happens in a four-person brawl.
Yeah, I do not play many of those. At all.

Ness/Lucas gets knocked off to, say, the left side of the screen. The action is on the right side of the screen, so the camera zooms out essentially to its fullest.

Our Ness/Lucas is now barely away from the left border of the camera, but he could still reach the stage with a horizontal PK Thunder. He uses PK Thunder and goes to the left with the bolt (since it needs to hit him from the left), it's now off screen.
Meh, if a horizontal PK Thunder would work, the diagonal up shot that you get if you turn the bolt back on yourself as fast as possible should work as well, since you'll have some additional vertical distance to drift towards the edge after the PKT Missile ends. Shouldn't be an issue unless you just don't play Ness or Lucas with any frequency - in which case the solution is simply practice.

Zevox

DoomITP
2010-07-02, 11:41 AM
Got Brawl yesterday, unlocked a few characters including Snake. Hopefully I can start playing online soon. Is there something like Matchmaking if you don't have someone's friend code?

Geno9999
2010-07-02, 12:48 PM
Got Brawl yesterday, unlocked a few characters including Snake. Hopefully I can start playing online soon. Is there something like Matchmaking if you don't have someone's friend code?

There is (it's called "Brawl with Anyone" on the Wifi), But don't expect being able to just jump in and fight. There's 1) ridiculous waiting time, 2) ridiculous lag when you do fight, and finally 3) 99% of the time, you're kicked off with the dreaded/hated Error 85010. If you're playing at night or on a weekend, you might stand a better chance.

The only customizable options you have for brawling with anyone is Items and Random Stage selection. So, in many ways, you're probably better off playing with friend codes.

Sort of offtopic, does anyone know of any good texture hacks? I've read that you can just put them on the SD card when loading Balanced Brawl, and I'm kinda interested in trying some out.

Zevox
2010-07-02, 01:53 PM
There is, as Geno said, "With Anyone" available for online play, but it's pretty poor. Wait times and lag issues aside, you can only play 2 minute timed matches, the item settings are randomly chosen from among the participants' settings, and can only play either free-for-all with up to four players or team battles which require four players. Very rarely will you get a 1-on-1 or even 3-way match in the free-for-all selection.

So yeah, if you want to choose your settings for the game to your own liking, With Friends play is the way to go.

Zevox

Zovc
2010-07-02, 04:40 PM
Sort of offtopic, does anyone know of any good texture hacks? I've read that you can just put them on the SD card when loading Balanced Brawl, and I'm kinda interested in trying some out.

I haven't fooled around with texture hacks, I've been meaning to look into them. One particular thing I wanted to try was, instead of having Sonic's different colors, have Sonic, Shadow, Tails, Knuckles, and maybe others. I've seen individual mods for them, but I was going to look into consolidating them.

I would probably look into better-differentiating some characters team colors, as well. Ike (hopefully I could at least find one with red hair and green hair, for team games) and Lucario come to mind. It always aggravates me that Ike's 'tunic' is blue for his red team outfit, along with his hair.

Cynan Machae
2010-07-02, 09:02 PM
I've add my brawl filled with those textures, and also all the music from the stages changed with some pack I found somewhere but don't remember where. Some nice stage textures. Site moved so I had trouble finding it again, but here is is: Brwal Vault (http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php)

It's not as easy as just putting the files on a SD card, but not that hard either (well maybe it's easier now, been a while I did it :smalltongue: ) There was a guide a smashboards, let me find it: Guide (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=7304207)

And yea, on the topic, brawl With Anyone sucks really bad. Wi-Fi in itself isn't very good, and With Anyone is 100x worse.

Also, been playing Brawl for a good part of the day with a friend, going to a tourney tommorow. Let's hope for my first top10!