PDA

View Full Version : [D&D...Any?] Juvenile Creatures

Jergmo
2010-06-25, 07:56 PM
So, I'm wondering, are there any sources for creating a juvenile version of a creature other than the template from D20 Modern? :smallconfused:

I ask because it doesn't seem to work all that well, and I'm in need of a reasonably simple method of creating juvenile versions of monsters that don't have progressions like dragons. IE: In my campaign, it's currently spring and juvenile ankhegs and their parents will soon be popping up to feed.

Knaight
2010-06-25, 07:58 PM
You could scale HD backwards, but another way to do it is minimum hit points per HD, -4 str, -2 dex, -2 con, -4 int, -2 cha or so.

Jergmo
2010-06-25, 08:05 PM
You could scale HD backwards, but another way to do it is minimum hit points per HD, -4 str, -2 dex, -2 con, -4 int, -2 cha or so.

My only issue with that is that it doesn't scale very well, which is the same issue with the D20 Modern template. *Scratches head* If there's nothing else floating around, I suppose I could just take a percentage of the main statistics and CR.

Knaight
2010-06-25, 08:25 PM
Yeah, it scales poorly. The issue being that D&D stats are so linear in effect. You could bump them down a size category and only apply negative stat boosts, maybe half the natural armor or something, which scales with the size categories, but overall a case by case method is probably best.

Rappy
2010-06-25, 09:40 PM
Wait, there's a juvenile creature template in d20 Modern? :smallconfused: I must have missed that...

Anyway, your best bet would be either one of the various "Miniature creature" templates from books such as the Book of Templates Deluxe Edition 3.5 or Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary, or the Young Creature simple template (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/monster-advancement#TOC-Simple-Templates) from Pathfinder.

Runestar
2010-06-25, 10:12 PM
Savage species has monster classes (with cr progression), you could just stat up a creature which has not been "advanced" to its full age.

hamishspence
2010-06-26, 07:44 AM
Or take the rules for young giants compared to adult giants, and apply them to other creatures.

Also- pathfinder has a "young creature" template. this has already been said.