PDA

View Full Version : Spells or psionics?

Albonor
2010-06-25, 08:09 PM
Hi all,

I am slowly building a new campaign, to play in a year or so. I am a tthe stage where you plays with ideas and I had one: to replace magic with psionics and call it magic.

Now, the game will be E6, with pathfinder rules when overlaping srd. classes allowed where to be:

Fighter (and possibly 10 new bonus fighter feats to make them interesting rather than boring)
Barbarian
Ranger (no casting but maybe a new class feature?)
Rogue
"Arcane" Caster (So Psion/wilder or Sorceror)
"Healing capable" caster (Again Psion/Wilder/PsiWar or FavSoul)
Expert-like character (maybe rogue with ACF instead of sneak attack?)

Since I plan on a few very violent fights (ECL +2 at least every time except first level), healing is not much of a problem. I don't mind them being hurt as part of the "story".

Using psionics let me use a few things like th psionics feats and bring a lot more balance to the table I think.

Now: Is there a balance issue I am not seeing considering the E6 limits? Would it work? Suggestions?

Zaq
2010-06-25, 08:37 PM
Now: Is there a balance issue I am not seeing considering the E6 limits? Would it work? Suggestions?

Yes. You're mixing T5 classes like the Ranger and Fighter with any sort of magic, psionics included. I heartily approve of what you're trying to do, but a player with a Ranger just isn't going to have fun in a party with, well, anyone T3 or higher.

Knaight
2010-06-25, 08:38 PM
Psionics will be fine. The Psion will have a limited number of tricks, but that just helps things balance out, the Wilder will work as a properly limited sorcerer type, with some good options, and the Psychic warrior is evened out relative to the pure martial types by partial BAB.

As to the above poster, the T5 classes gain an advantage in e6, and the psionic classes are T2 at most anyways. With the ability to learn more magic through feats slowly at level 6, they can never catch up to some scroll happy wizard.