PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]UMD Rogue Help

Hawk7915
2010-06-25, 08:58 PM
Howdy folks. I'm trying to think of a fun/interesting/exciting build for a new live campaign, and one thing I thought of was an "artificer"; but not the class. Like, a rogue who uses gadgets and magical tricks to pretend he's a serious spellcaster. Relevant info:

Starting level: 6th, standard WBL, 36 point buy

Sources Available: SRD, PH2, ToB, Complete Arcane, Adventurer, and Warrior; other material possible but unlikely; Binders, Incarnum right out (don't have the books, don't want to learn new system if we did)

Relevant Houserules: Several skills have been collapsed into each other, meaning I can still trapfind/scout and have max ranks in UMD and cross-class ranks in Spellcraft and Arcana if necessary. Humans get +1 to an ability score of their choice; all other races no longer impose a penalty to any stat. Half-elves are +2 CHA.

and the questions...
1) Is this build feasible, at this level, assuming my DM will not allow me to have a "masterwork tool of UMD" or item familiar (in other words, ranks, charisma bonus, and skill focus are it for improving UMD).

2) I'd prefer to be Rogue 6; but it the answer to 1 is "No", then is Warlock 4/Rogue 2 a viable alternative?

3) Are there other classes I'm unaware of that would be better for this? I know Factotum probably would, but we don't have access to that one...

4) With 6th level WBL, what wands would you suggest I stock up on? What are the juiciest choices? What other items should I prioritize (Handy Haversack, most likely, but anything else?)

Thanks in advance! :smallsmile:

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-06-25, 09:04 PM
At 6th level, you can have 9 ranks in UMD. With a +4 from Stat (assuming you can manage an 18 through items or rolls), that's a 13. You need a 20. That's a 6 point spread you need to cover (getting a +19 so you can make it on a nat 1).

Circlet of Persuasion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#circletofPersuasion) gives a +3 to Charisma-based checks. Like UMD.

This leaves you 3 short of your goal

Either use +Cha toys to further increase CHA, or just not worry too much abuot flubbing on a 3 or less. You've probably got better odds of threatening a critical with your weapon than you would of failing that roll.

mabriss lethe
2010-06-25, 09:08 PM
four levels of warlock will definitely be more forgiving for this build.

Being able to take 10 on a UMD check via Deceive Itme pretty much means autosuccess for wand use somewhere around this level. (9 ranks + a minimum of 1 from charisma and you've got it.)

Curmudgeon
2010-06-25, 09:18 PM
A masterwork Use Magic Device tool for spell trigger items will give you +2 to your checks.

The-Mage-King
2010-06-25, 09:22 PM
Don't forget Able Learner (Races of Destiny) as a first level feat, if you're human, and Force of Personality (Complete Adventurer), to make skill points easier to deal with and Will saves better.

Hm...Then maybe one Martial Study (any Shadow Hand maneuver you want), Rogue for another few levels, Human Paragon (again, if your human), picking up Martial Stance (Assassain's Stance), just for when you have to fight... Maybe a dash of Spellwarp Sniper (Complete Mage)...

But that's if you want pure power.

The first paragraph applies to most UMD builds, though.

As for wands... Maybe one of Restoration as a third level spell, if you can convince your DM to allow the Mini's Handbook Healer?

Zovc
2010-06-25, 09:25 PM
Indeed, Warlock 4 lets you take 10 on Use Magic Device checks even in combat.

Zovc
2010-06-25, 09:29 PM
Another option would be to take one level in any given spellcasting class. You will no longer need to make UMD checks for that class's magic items.

Actually, just because I love dipping cleric (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2773.0)...

Magic domain will let you use magic items as if you are a Cleric 1 or a Wizard 1. If you don't want to get too hung up on your cleric spells, you could always use the spontaneous cleric, so that you just have certain spells you can use if you happen to need them. You can also use Divine Metamagic to make use of your turn attempts, although that is a little feat intensive.