PDA

View Full Version : 101 Uses For X-Ray Vision

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-25, 10:47 PM
X-ray vision can penetrate 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, or up to 3 feet of wood or dirt. Thicker substances or a thin sheet of lead blocks the vision.

What good, useful ways can this be used do you think?

#1. There's a dragon on the other side of the door you say? Oh ho!
#2. Can read lips of the secret meeting in the next cave.
#3. Hey, you swallowed my buddy, I see him in there!

sofawall
2010-06-25, 10:52 PM
#3. Hey, you swallowed my buddy, I see him in there!

Unless it's an earth elemental that swallowed your buddy, you don't seem to be able to see him.

PersonMan
2010-06-25, 10:52 PM
#4. Oh my, Cleric McGood-Good! You have a phylactery embedded in your heart! Get someone to prepare Resurrection soon...
#5. What's that, you say? There's a thief in one of these crates, and the other two contain priceless MacGuffin Plants that will wither and die on contact with air? No problem!

...That's all I can think of.

drengnikrafe
2010-06-25, 10:53 PM
#6. Wonder what treasure you'll be getting when you kill that stone giant and crack him open? Me too. Let's check.

The Tygre
2010-06-25, 10:56 PM
#7: Those immature (practical) reasons that I'm sure have already popped into everybody's head.
#8: See the mechanisms of a trap in the walls.
#10: Find the well placed cracks of secret doors.
#11: Write a secret message on an applicable surface. Cover it up with the same base material. Have a friend with X-ray vision be able to read the message.
#12: Visually test the thickness of a material.
#13: Find the weak points on constructs.
#14: Find out who's carrying around lead. That's just suspicious, right there. I'd get familiar with nuclear radiation rules real fast if I saw some guy walking around with a sheet of lead, if y'know what I mean...

sofawall
2010-06-25, 10:59 PM
#4. Oh my, Cleric McGood-Good! You have a phylactery embedded in your heart! Get someone to prepare Resurrection soon...

Unless Cleric McGood-Good is an Iron Golem, no such luck. X-Ray vision, oddly, cannot see through flesh.

#13: Find the weak points on constructs.

Aren't constructs immune to critical hits because they have no point that is weaker than any other?

Cealocanth
2010-06-25, 11:01 PM
I won't bother with the numbering due to the fear of being Ninja'd.

Searching for secret rooms on the other side of walls.

Being able to see a medical problem, ie. seeing if someone has cancer without scanning their body. [Edit: oh, it can't see through flesh? That stinks...]
Being able to see if someone else is getting into trouble.

An easier way to navigate through thick forest.

Being able to Spot a trap on the other side of the door.

balistafreak
2010-06-25, 11:02 PM
#15: Give everyone around you cancer/massive cellular death from radiation poisoning.

... what? :smalltongue:

Critical
2010-06-25, 11:06 PM
# 16 Spy on women's bathroom. :smallamused:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-25, 11:11 PM
See use #7.

Critical
2010-06-25, 11:12 PM
See use #7.

One time isn't enough. :smallbiggrin:

The Tygre
2010-06-25, 11:14 PM
Aren't constructs immune to critical hits because they have no point that is weaker than any other?

It's admittedly a flavor use and requires complete DM fiat. I'm thinking along the lines of jamming gears, bending bars made of weaker metals, bursting joints, etc. It's reaching, I know. :smallredface:

Knaight
2010-06-25, 11:26 PM

A bathroom of all places? Really? Unless you have a defecation fetish, there have to be better places for this. Plus, theoretically medieval world here. Single sex bathrooms came after the personal toilet.

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-25, 11:44 PM
Giving it to your warforged cohort self so you won't get fatigued.

Spotting spring-loaded traps in doors and on treasure chests, as well as mechanical traps inside walls and floors. Who needs a rogue?

Spotting a puppeteer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/puppeteer.htm).

Catching ambushes in the bushes, or around corners.

This. (http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/Lycanthromancer/?action=view&current=x-ray.jpg)

chiasaur11
2010-06-25, 11:51 PM
Finally prove that Clark Kent is Superman.

taltamir
2010-06-25, 11:58 PM
You could check out the sexy bone structure of your preferred gender compatriots.

Also: #2.
Can read lips of the secret meeting in the next cave.
will not work, you will see right through their lips.

Zovc
2010-06-26, 12:19 AM
I have to admit, if I had X-Ray vision, the first thing I'd probably do with it is look through women's clothes.

Another_Poet
2010-06-26, 01:03 AM
24. Slowly but reliably cause cancer in anyone you dislike.

25. Regrettably but inevitably cause cancer in everyone you love.

26. Work at a clinic and do 3 people's jobs for a salary equal to 2 people's. And much faster!

Mr.Moron
2010-06-26, 01:09 AM
Check on what you have in the oven, without having to open the oven.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-06-26, 01:10 AM
Looking for Dragonmarks (or any similar magical birthmarks).

Looking for the tattoos that mark the members of the Thieves' Guild/Local Cult.

Looking for any identifying marks for specific individuals.

2xMachina
2010-06-26, 01:17 AM
I have to admit, if I had X-Ray vision, the first thing I'd probably do with it is look through women's clothes.

Meh, the internet has more than you could ever want to see.

Mr.Moron
2010-06-26, 01:19 AM
Actually if you could have a version that didn't tax you for excessive use, you could use it to have a really cool helmet with no eye slits. Just one solid piece of metal, with some air-holes. That'd look badass.

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-26, 01:22 AM
Meh, the internet has more than you could ever want to see.Ain't that the truth. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BrainBleach)

The_Pyre
2010-06-26, 01:53 AM
I may be mistaken, but it doesn't say you can see through clothes or flesh.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-06-26, 01:56 AM

Unless it specifically says you can't, any reasonable DM should allow it. After all, aren't those usually the first things people's minds go to when they hear X-Ray vision?

2xMachina
2010-06-26, 01:57 AM
On command, this ring gives its possessor the ability to see into and through solid matter.

Is clothes/flesh solid matter? I'd say yes.

EDIT: Bad luck on liquids though, so a thin film of watered ink stops your x-ray vision.

Oh, and you'd be seeing blood. Lots and lots of blood. And digestive juices.

Mr.Moron
2010-06-26, 01:58 AM
After all, aren't those usually the first things people's minds go to when they hear X-Ray vision?

I can't really speak for anyone else but myself but no.

sofawall
2010-06-26, 02:11 AM
You could check out the sexy bone structure of your preferred gender compatriots.

Also: #2.
will not work, you will see right through their lips.

Please go read the D&D version of X-ray vision, or read my comments on the matter:

Unless Cleric McGood-Good is an Iron Golem, no such luck. X-Ray vision, oddly, cannot see through flesh.

Ravens_cry
2010-06-26, 02:16 AM
A circumstance bonus to Heal checks to set broken bones?
Your fellow party members make better doors then windows? Not anymore!
To find out what you may not want to know (http://www.giantitp.com/Images/GuestWeek2005/oots9901.gif) about that androgynous elvin mage who has recently joined the party.

2xMachina
2010-06-26, 03:27 AM
Please go read the D&D version of X-ray vision, or read my comments on the matter:

Where did you get that? It specifically says you can see through solid matter. Which flesh should be. (Unless you're a elemental or ooze)

Raging Gene Ray
2010-06-26, 03:43 AM
I can't really speak for anyone else but myself but no.

I meant either flesh (since most people know about X-Rays through their use in medicine) OR clothes (because people are perverts).

A circumstance bonus to Heal checks to set broken bones?

Complete Scoundrel has a spell called Healer's Vision which gives +5 to Heal checks and I think a bonus to confirm criticals. The fluff says that it works just like X-Ray vision, though.

Megaduck
2010-06-26, 07:37 AM
"Yup, your wrist has a fracture..."

PersonMan
2010-06-26, 09:16 AM
"...So let me heal it after critically hitting this guy behind you!"

Jack_Simth
2010-06-26, 09:37 AM
Sort of. It Says (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#xRayVision)

On command, this ring gives its possessor the ability to see into and through solid matter. Vision range is 20 feet, with the viewer seeing as if he were looking at something in normal light even if there is no illumination. X-ray vision can penetrate 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, or up to 3 feet of wood or dirt. Thicker substances or a thin sheet of lead blocks the vision.

Using the ring is physically exhausting, causing the wearer 1 point of Constitution damage per minute after the first 10 minutes of use in a single day.

Moderate divination; CL 6th; Forge Ring, true seeing; Price 25,000 gp. (Emphasis and emphasis added)

The question becomes: Do you focus on the bold part, saying what it can do, or do you focus on the underlined part, saying what blocks it? Flesh is not on the list of things that block X-Ray vision. It's also not on the list of things you can see through if you so choose. If you focus on one aspect, you can see through it. If you focus on the other, you can't. AKA, you need to ask your DM.

2xMachina
2010-06-26, 09:45 AM
However, I emphasise:

On command, this ring gives its possessor the ability to see into and through solid matter.

Is is solid matter? Yes, so you can see through it.

X-ray vision can penetrate 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, or up to 3 feet of wood or dirt. Thicker substances or a thin sheet of lead blocks the vision.
^ This just states the limit. After 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, or up to 3 feet of wood or dirt, you can no longer see through it.

Not 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, or up to 3 feet of wood or dirt? You see through it, so long it's solid. (No go for liquid)

sofawall
2010-06-26, 11:12 AM

So you can see through 4 miles of magically hardened obdurium, then?

Rannil
2010-06-26, 11:31 AM
So you can see through 4 miles of magically hardened obdurium, then?

Isn't that thicker then 3 feet dirt? :smalltongue:

sofawall
2010-06-26, 11:34 AM
Isn't that thicker then 3 feet dirt? :smalltongue:

Yes, but it is not explicitly called out as something that blocks the spell, so clearly you can see through any amount of it without any problem at all.

Rannil
2010-06-26, 11:42 AM
Yes, but it is not explicitly called out as something that blocks the spell, so clearly you can see through any amount of it without any problem at all.

Thicker substances... seems to be a clear call out?
Unless magically hardened obdurium is as thick as a piece of paper. Paper isn't thicker then dirt, so that could mean you could x-ray through unlimited amount of paper?
Now you made me confused.

sofawall
2010-06-26, 11:47 AM
*sigh* This isn't a response to the spell. This a response to the inaccurate interpretation of the spell given above. Specificically:

4 miles of obdurium is solid. Check.

^ This just states the limit. After 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, or up to 3 feet of wood or dirt, you can no longer see through it.
Not stone, not common metal, not wood or dirt. Not restrictions here.

Not 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, or up to 3 feet of wood or dirt? You see through it, so long it's solid. (No go for liquid)

As above, not stone, not common metal and not wood or dirt, and it is solid. That means I can see through 4 miles of obdurium!

Rannil
2010-06-26, 11:55 AM
*sigh* This isn't a response to the spell. This a response to the inaccurate interpretation of the spell given above. Specificically:

You see through it, so long it's solid. (No go for liquid)

But air isn't solid either, it's a gas, so you can't look through air during a x-ray.

sofawall
2010-06-26, 12:00 PM
But air isn't solid either, it's a gas, so you can't look through air during a x-ray.

You make a solid point.

liadis
2010-06-26, 12:28 PM
So, to penetrate only clothing and not flesh:

Just use the X-Ray Vision as much as needed to see through the fabric/armor, and stop there.

I think "Can Penetrate" implies a limit of X-Ray Penetration Power. Erm... I think. :smallconfused:

Claudius Maximus
2010-06-26, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I've always seen those lines as an example of the limits it has. I don't think it's supposed to only work on those materials and nothing else.

2xMachina
2010-06-26, 01:16 PM

I'd say you retain your normal sight.

Else... the damn thing is broken.

Oh look, air. Sorry, you can't see through it. Only way you can see through solid matter is to stick your eyeballs directly on the solid.

I think "Can Penetrate" implies a limit of X-Ray Penetration Power. Erm... I think.

For me, it means options. You CAN look through the whole body (thus, rendering them invisible), or you can just choose to go half-way and look at the bones.

SurlySeraph
2010-06-26, 04:11 PM
Enough semantics. Back to uses.

33. Learn enough to negate the bonus to Spot checks vs. Disguise that people who know the person you're disguised as intimately get.

taltamir
2010-06-26, 04:16 PM
Is clothes/flesh solid matter? I'd say yes.

EDIT: Bad luck on liquids though, so a thin film of watered ink stops your x-ray vision.

Oh, and you'd be seeing blood. Lots and lots of blood. And digestive juices.

Flesh is not solid matter actually. we are over 70% liquid water, and much of the rest is other liquids. We have solids in us, but we are mostly sacks of fluid, ready to burst at the slightest poke and spray blood 20 feet away (heh, ok not really :P)

Anyways, if it can't see through liquid then you will not see anyone's hair or clothes, but you will be unable to see through their skin... so effectively everyone will look naked to you.
If it works like REAL X-rays, then you will see their bone structure; overlapped by a transparent silhouette of their flesh bits.

The Glyphstone
2010-06-26, 04:21 PM
You make a solid point.

*throws popcorn at sofa for the horrible pun*

taltamir
2010-06-26, 04:33 PM
theory: x-ray vision lists what kind of things the spell lets you see, which are additive to things you can already see through.

So it lets you see through solids, you can see through air because you could already see through air before hand, you can see through water because you could already see through water, you can see through oil because you could already see through it...

Worira
2010-06-26, 06:05 PM
Actually if you could have a version that didn't tax you for excessive use, you could use it to have a really cool helmet with no eye slits. Just one solid piece of metal, with some air-holes. That'd look badass.

You just need to either ignore constitution damage, or quickly recover it.

Siosilvar
2010-06-26, 06:27 PM
You just need to either ignore constitution damage, or quickly recover it.

So... Binder or be undead?

The Glyphstone
2010-06-26, 06:29 PM
So... Binder or be undead?

Or an Incarnum user.

Worira
2010-06-26, 06:33 PM
Taking the Shape Soulmeld feat for Strongheart Vest is the easiest way.

Sindri
2010-06-26, 06:42 PM
It never says anything about liquid matter, so the blood of the target is opaque to you. According to your GM's interpretation, the extremely thin, normally imperceptible layer of sweat and oil on everyone's skin might end it right there, allowing you to see living people but not their clothing. Until that clothing got damp.

Stone Heart
2010-06-26, 08:31 PM
As above, not stone, not common metal and not wood or dirt, and it is solid. That means I can see through 4 miles of obdurium!

Except for that requires you to specifically skip over "Thicker substances or a thin sheet of lead blocks the vision." 3 feet and 1 inch of obdurium would stop it, because that is thicker than 3 feet, of dirt or wood.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-26, 09:19 PM
Flesh is not solid matter actually. we are over 70% liquid water, and much of the rest is other liquids. We have solids in us, but we are mostly sacks of fluid, ready to burst at the slightest poke and spray blood 20 feet away (heh, ok not really :P)

Yes flesh is solid matter, anything that retains its shape and density when not confined is solid matter. If your flesh wasn't solid we'd fall a part. And really trying to argue a Ring of X-ray can't see through the very thing we use X-rays to see through is stupid.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-26, 09:24 PM
And really trying to argue a Ring of X-ray can't see through the very thing we use X-rays to see through is stupid.
*grabs you up in a bonecrushing hug*

Bless you!

Hague
2010-06-26, 09:35 PM
You diviners will never locate my secret lead golem army!

#34 Use it to detect whether or not something is lead. If you can't see through it, it's probably lead.

#35 Give a circumstance bonus to the save DC on an assassin's death attack.

#36 Locate lost keys.