PDA

View Full Version : [SPOILER]An attempt to make sense out of Code Geass by way of Elric the Eternal Hero.

Agrippa
2010-06-25, 11:05 PM
It just came to me a night or two ago, but the fictional character that best matches Lelouch in personality, morality and background would be Michael Moorcock's Emperor Elric IV of Melnibone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elric_of_Melnibon%C3%A9). Both horrifically brutal and ruthless when they would much rather be kind, both highly intelligent but strongly weakened and underminded by their own egos. Both Lelouch and Elric are weak, frail and sickly, dependent on highly powerful if treacherous magical artifacts to overcome these weaknesses. They both inadvertantly caused the deaths of the women they loved (Cymoril and Zarozinia for Elric and both Euphemia and Shirley for Lelouch) and were attracted to members of their own family. His cousin, consort and future queen Cymoril for Elric and Euphemia for Lelouch. Which is worse considering Euphemia is Lelouch's half-sister. And both waged war against their own empires and died, at least in part because of it.

So here's my theory. Lelouch is a later incarnation of the Eternal Hero, of whom Elric was one of. In fact, out of all of the other Eternal Heroes Lelouch is the most like Elric. Shirley, not Euphemia, is an incarnation of Elric's human wife Zarozinia and Emperor Charles is the reincarnation of Theleb K'aarna, a powerful sorcerer and devout worshipper of the Demon Lord Arioch and of Chaos in general. Euphemia is a considerably kinder and gentler reincarnation of Cymoril while Suzaku is Dyvim Slorm, Elric's cousin and best friend, reborn, if such a thing were possible. And all of the Geass are sapient constructs of Chaos just like Stormbringer. Besides, doesn't this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrd2xf5DIlU) sound like it would be a perfect song for the Black Prince? And this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCxL3-Fl7bM&NR=1) one would be perfect for Lelouch's relationship to his Geass.

arguskos
2010-06-25, 11:44 PM
This is... deliciously twisted, actually.

However, I think Elric's reincarnation was already covered in Prince Corum Jhaelen Irsei.

Also, it might help if I was more versed in Code Geass. However, you got my attention at Elric. :smallcool: I'm an Elric junkie, he's one of my favorite literary characters ever written.

Agrippa
2010-06-25, 11:47 PM
This is... deliciously twisted, actually.

However, I think Elric's reincarnation was already covered in Prince Corum Jhaelen Irsei.

His reincarntion, not necessarily anyone else's.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-06-26, 12:47 AM
Psst, put a [SPOILER] warning on the thread. ;)

I'm not familiar with Elric, but this sounds like an insane WMG theory...

Elfey
2010-06-26, 01:08 AM
The thing is, for the Elric series this does make sense. The Eternal Champion is reincarnated over and over again, with his core group of support, and some times his foes.

Elric himself, well, he's a schmuck in the end. That's the big thing.

factotum
2010-06-26, 01:11 AM

The point of the Eternal Champion is that there have been many of them. Elric, Corum, Dorian Hawkmoon, and Erekose are all incarnations of the Champion, and at the end of "The Quest for Tanelorn" we see an arena filled with hundreds of statues, each one representing one incarnation--so adding a few non-canon ones isn't much of a stretch, IMHO.

The main defining characteristic of the Champion is that he (or possibly she, not sure if a female Champion would be possible or not) fights Chaos, so does this Lelouch fella do that?

Agrippa
2010-06-26, 01:45 AM
The point of the Eternal Champion is that there have been many of them. Elric, Corum, Dorian Hawkmoon, and Erekose are all incarnations of the Champion, and at the end of "The Quest for Tanelorn" we see an arena filled with hundreds of statues, each one representing one incarnation--so adding a few non-canon ones isn't much of a stretch, IMHO.

The main defining characteristic of the Champion is that he (or possibly she, not sure if a female Champion would be possible or not) fights Chaos, so does this Lelouch fella do that?

The Eternal Champion acts as an agent of Balance and battles against both the extremes of Chaos and Order, least either one bring ruin and destruction to the multiverse. Does Emperor Charles zi Britannia (http://codegeass.wikia.com/wiki/Charles_zi_Britannia) seem like either a force for Chaos or Order to you? How about Schneizel (http://codegeass.wikia.com/wiki/Schneizel_el_Britannia)?

Agrippa
2010-06-26, 07:39 PM
I've just posted this in Tv Tropes' Code Geass Wild Mass guessing.

KerfuffleMach2
2010-06-26, 08:48 PM

Sounds awfully similar to what the Witchblade is supposed to be...

[/throwing_wrench_into_works]

Prime32
2010-06-26, 08:57 PM
I've just posted this in Tv Tropes' Code Geass Wild Mass guessing.Bah, everyone knows Elric is Haruhi. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Let's not forget Time Lord!

factotum
2010-06-27, 02:47 AM
The Eternal Champion acts as an agent of Balance and battles against both the extremes of Chaos and Order, least either one bring ruin and destruction to the multiverse.

The Cosmic Balance is there to prevent that, and if the Champion is an agent of Balance, why do the ones we mostly see (Elric, Corum, Dorian Hawkmoon, Erekose) always fight against Chaos? Corum was even shocked when the god he'd rescued (whose name I forget) said he'd destroyed both the Lords of Chaos and the Lords of Law...an odd reaction if that was his intent all along!

Agrippa
2010-06-27, 09:00 PM
The Cosmic Balance is there to prevent that, and if the Champion is an agent of Balance, why do the ones we mostly see (Elric, Corum, Dorian Hawkmoon, Erekose) always fight against Chaos? Corum was even shocked when the god he'd rescued (whose name I forget) said he'd destroyed both the Lords of Chaos and the Lords of Law...an odd reaction if that was his intent all along!

Mostly because the Lords of Chaos cause trouble than the Lords of Law.