PDA

View Full Version : Steam Problem

Anuan
2010-06-26, 12:28 AM
The program, I've not been blasted with superheated water vapour.

Okay, so my father has just purchased a brand spanking new laptop, and he's trying to put Steam on it to play Dawn of War II. However, we're running into the same problem as we had on the 6 year old PC. That is, Steam tries to update, gets to 26 percent, then either restarts or says that Steam is temporarily unavailable and dies.

Is there a way I can download the most updated version of Steam directly?
I've tried downloading and installing from the website =/

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-26, 12:36 AM
Did you try asking on the Steam thread, in the Gaming (Other) forum, where this question probably belongs, as Steam is a gaming-related software? :smalltongue: (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155491)

IonDragon
2010-06-26, 12:40 AM
Check the Steam forums. They're quite extensive and may have an answer to this.
Does your internet connection drop any other downloads?
Are you running TOR, PeerGuardian/Block or any other network filtering software?
What operating system(s) and networking set up are you using?

Anuan
2010-06-26, 12:50 AM
Check the Steam forums. They're quite extensive and may have an answer to this.
Does your internet connection drop any other downloads?
Are you running TOR, PeerGuardian/Block or any other network filtering software?
What operating system(s) and networking set up are you using?

1) Will probably do if I can't get a solution here.
2) Not generally.
3) Nope.
4) WIndows 7 Home Premium 64bit. No network set up, except for that we're using a wireless router as of yesterday. But this same problem was occuring long before we got the new router, and on the old Windows XP operating system on the old computer.

IonDragon
2010-06-26, 12:57 AM
What is your antivirus, and/or firewall?
Do you have Windows Firewall enabled?
Do you have Steam added as an exception to any above firewalls?

Anuan
2010-06-26, 01:00 AM
No Firewalls, it's got Norton but it recognised Steam as safe. Steam is literally the first thing we've tried to put on it.

IonDragon
2010-06-26, 01:03 AM
You have a virus.

It goes by the name of Norton, or possibly Norton Internet Security. There's an 80% chance that any problems you are having with that computer are related.

I'm not even joking, Norton is hard to remove. My first diagnostic step, had I access to the computer would be to uninstall Norton.

Anuan
2010-06-26, 01:14 AM
Norton is a mere trial that came preinstalled, and will be removed swiftly once we get Avast! Antivirus on there.

IonDragon
2010-06-26, 01:18 AM
I recommend removing it posthaste and replacing it with AVG (http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html) until you get Avast or NOD32.