PDA

View Full Version : All the Tree Tokens You Can Eat...

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-26, 01:15 AM
Okay, so, I'd like to (eventually) amass a great number of those Quaal's Feather Tokens (trees, specifically) on my swordsage/factotum/pyrokineticist. What are all the crazy awesome uses we can dream up for them?

Handy for stopping charges with readied actions.
Great for supporting the ceiling after you kill a load-bearing boss (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LoadBearingBoss).
Use as a portable source of lumber when making constructions, or if you want to fabricate items.
A nice target for awaken spells.
Good for shelter in a [non-thunder] storm.
A good way of scaling tall walls with no handholds (just place a coil of knotted rope around the token before it grows, so your rope is wrapped around the upper echelons of the tree).
Good as a torture device, if you give the victim regeneration and don't mind the blood.
Excellent as an easily-transportable, if expensive, wall, even for non-casters.
A nice way for the druid to tree-stride without any trees, especially if a line is made every 15 feet or so.
Handy-dandy makeshift raft, when your ship sinks and you don't have time for anything more.
Good way to kill big creatures that've swallowed you before you dimension door out.
A nice way to get the high ground, whether you're trying to get your bearings or otherwise.
A Port-o-Potty for the druid's canine animal companion.
Great source of cover and concealment for hiding. Not as portable as a tower shield, but it's better for cover from spells.
Shade in the desert.
Setting on fire (of course).
And so on.

What are some of the brilliant uses you can come up with?

DracoDei
2010-06-26, 01:23 AM
The only thing I have to add at this time is that you really should carry woodsmans/carpenters tools for the time until you can prepare Fabricate every day. Obviously you still need the appropriate profession skills.

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-26, 01:25 AM
If you're a wizard or other arcane caster, grab a raven familiar, and have it ready its actions to drop the token in an adjacent space (free action) and call the command word (standard action). That way you don't have to spend your actions on it.

Thiyr
2010-06-26, 02:34 AM
I've made good use of them as barricades in hallways before, given the hall is narrow enough. Granted, The question of "what happens to the tree when there's not enough vertical space" comes up, but that just adds to the fun.

Heliomance
2010-06-26, 03:21 AM
If you're a wizard or other arcane caster, grab a raven familiar, and have it ready its actions to drop the token in an adjacent space (free action) and call the command word (standard action). That way you don't have to spend your actions on it.

There is no command word, it's fire and forget.

Personal favourite use: stick it in the BBEG's latrine in such a way that it is dislodged and falls to the ground when he sits down.

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-26, 08:47 AM
Nice improvised weapon for a war hulk or hulking hurler.
Archery practice.
A fast way to get a log for a stereotypical rolling-log trap.
If home is where you hang your hat, what happens when you hang your hat on a tree?
Roadblock.
Hammock-hanging habiliment.
A hug.

balistafreak
2010-06-26, 11:48 AM
Hmmm. Your title has inspired the following:

1. Eat a hojillion feather tokens.

2. Give your worst enemy a hug. Activate the tokens all at once.

3. ??????????????????????

4. Profit!

LibraryOgre
2010-06-26, 12:14 PM
Tie it to a rock. You now have a sling stone siege weapon.

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-26, 02:00 PM
Is is specified what kind of tree is made?

If not, Apple trees, palm trees, pine trees etc all can be used diffrently.

OracleofWuffing
2010-06-26, 02:17 PM
Is is specified what kind of tree is made?
Oak tree.

Good as a torture device, if you give the victim regeneration and don't mind the blood.
Regeneration? Blood? Exactly how long are you tickling your captive with a feather? :smalleek:

Which brings me to my next point, you could make pillows out of them.

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-26, 02:29 PM
Oak? What kind of oak we be talkin about? Odd that a person whom has never seen an oak tree could make one then.

Oh well, acorns are a but bitter, but make decent pancakes.
Use a handful of them like marbles.
Acorn caps can be used as whistles.
Weave the roots into a basket, or rope.
If your cold, stuff your cloths full of leaves to help keep in body heat.
Use a token to replace a ship's mast.

arguskos
2010-06-26, 03:09 PM
Acorn of far travels anyone? :smallamused:

Worira
2010-06-26, 03:36 PM
Fletch an arrow with them.

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-26, 04:10 PM
Regeneration? Blood? Exactly how long are you tickling your captive with a feather? :smalleek:Nobody said anything about tickling. I was considering the idea behind 'stuff very small thing in very small space and make the very small thing a very BIG thing'.

Eldan
2010-06-26, 04:12 PM
Use them to build a bridge.

Siosilvar
2010-06-26, 05:07 PM
Opening doors.

Ormur
2010-06-26, 11:08 PM
Easier climb checks.

subject42
2010-06-26, 11:13 PM
We regularly use them to wreck traps, or trigger traps that we didn't find.

"Trapped?"

"Maybe?"

Tosses token, mature oak tree roots trip ~30 traps in the hallway

"Not trapped now"

Lamech
2010-06-27, 12:02 AM
I thought that you were supposed to use it for tree bombing people... nothing kills a BBEG like dropping a tree on him.

bobspldbckwrds
2010-06-27, 12:21 AM
1)time stop
2)bbeg's back pocket
3)activation
4)brainbleach
5)loot
6)profit
7)???
8)even more profit.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-27, 01:04 AM
For tree purposes, throw one down at interesting places, and any plane. Can now use reliable Transport Via Plants to go anywhere in the multiverse.

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-27, 01:07 AM
1)time stop
2)bbeg's back pocket
3)activation
4)brainbleach
5)loot
6)profit
7)???
8)even more profit.So...Scoot, Root, Shoot, and Loot?

Sounds like you should leaf well enough alone.

IonDragon
2010-06-27, 02:42 AM
Block a rolling log or even boulder trap. Indian Jones and got nothin' on Qual.

The Cat Goddess
2010-06-27, 04:23 AM
Escape 60' pit trap, since the tree grows to max of 60' tall... (My players did this one.)

Ferrin
2010-06-27, 04:30 AM
Escape 60' pit trap, since the tree grows to max of 60' tall... (My players did this one.)

Depending on the width of the pit trap... The players might get crushed. :smallbiggrin:

The Cat Goddess
2010-06-27, 04:31 AM
Depending on the width of the pit trap... The players might get crushed. :smallbiggrin:

Not if you're standing on the Token... then you just ride the growing tree up!

2xMachina
2010-06-27, 05:28 AM
You might need to worry about your momentum though. Or hang on real tight. Else, you'd be like a cannonball.

dgnslyr
2010-06-27, 10:53 AM
Torturing elves.
Elf: I'll never reveal my secret!
You: *uses tree token*
Elf ?
You: *pulls out axe*
Elf: !
You: *begins chopping down tree*
Elf: Okay, okay, okay, I'll tell you everything you want, just stop hurting the tree!

Wait, that only works for dwarf fortress elves. Still a handy way to make a druid break.

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-27, 11:05 AM
Quaal's tree tokens make a good replacement for the paladin's surgically-inserted stick.

balistafreak
2010-06-27, 11:31 AM
Not if you're standing on the Token... then you just ride the growing tree up!

The effect is instantaneous though. Care to discuss Newton's laws with traveling 60 feet up in an infinitely small period of time?

*splat*

Thought for the day: feather token cannons. Not as in shooting feather tokens to launch trees at people, but using trees to propel objects at people.

Feather tokens that shoot feather tokens. Now you have 60-foot trees flying at an infinitely fast speed, propelled by other 60-foot trees.

Sup, dawg...

Greenish
2010-06-27, 12:43 PM
Thought for the day: feather token cannons. Not as in shooting feather tokens to launch trees at peopleWhy not? Launch Item + familiar ready to activate the token.

balistafreak
2010-06-27, 01:01 PM
Why not? Launch Item + familiar ready to activate the token.

That way, you only launch a tree at the speed of launch item, which is ostensibly only about as fast a crossbow-bolt-ish, right?

My way, you launch a tree faster than the speed of light. At a catgirl. Because you can.

2xMachina
2010-06-27, 01:40 PM
Commoner Railgun.

Does it work now? Tree Token Railgun?

RandomNPC
2010-06-27, 01:49 PM
we had a new player joining us, and didn't know how to intro them, so when I used a tree token this random wizard fell out of the tree.

balistafreak
2010-06-27, 01:55 PM
Does it work now? Tree Token Railgun?

Not so much "railgun" as "cannon". One tree token is the propellant charge, the other is the payload. To be truthful, though, you can load basically anything you want into the cannon, it's just funnier when it's yet another tree token.

I mean, this is better than the Commoner Railgun because it's more compact, and instead of simply being arbitrarily fast depending on how many commoners you want, it is infinitely fast due to the "instantaneous" effect of traveling 60 feet, which is much different than teleporting 60 feet. (Teleporting would be much, much, simpler.) So yeah. :smallamused:

2xMachina
2010-06-27, 02:01 PM
But, say, you put lots of token together?

Say, a roll of those tokens, where you activate together? You cannon a cannon which cannons a cannons ...

MeatShield#236
2010-06-27, 02:08 PM
Hold on... commoner railgun?

dgnslyr
2010-06-27, 02:15 PM
Hold on... commoner railgun?

IIRC, it's when you have a bunch of commoners who have an action readied to pass a stick to the next commoner. Since it all happens in the span of one turn, which takes six seconds, the stick has passed far faster than it possibly could have. Say, one thousand two hundred commoners, each taking up a five-foot square, passing the stick to the next. That stick just traveled 6000 feet in six seconds, 1000 feet per second. That said, according to RAW, I don't think the stick would hit extra hard when thrown.

2xMachina
2010-06-27, 02:18 PM
According to RAW, having a entire tree materialize through you, does nothing much.

Sliver
2010-06-27, 02:40 PM
IIRC, it's when you have a bunch of commoners who have an action readied to pass a stick to the next commoner. Since it all happens in the span of one turn, which takes six seconds, the stick has passed far faster than it possibly could have. Say, one thousand two hundred commoners, each taking up a five-foot square, passing the stick to the next. That stick just traveled 6000 feet in six seconds, 1000 feet per second. That said, according to RAW, I don't think the stick would hit extra hard when thrown.

Don't forget destroying time and (un)common sense.

The stick travels 6000ft in six seconds, but every commoner holds it for the same amount of time, which is more or less 3 seconds, the estimated time of the standard standard action.