PDA

View Full Version : Old Char Op Thread? Edit: Found Thread.

Sintanan
2010-06-26, 05:19 AM
I remember seeing a while ago an old thread that started as a Char Op for abusing the psionic power that removes the coated object from space/time and derailing into designing a starship with talks of instant-kill weaponry and true creation antimatter cannons and all sorts of wild stuff.

So... the question is; does anyone have a link to this old thread?

Edit: Found the thread. Been digging through ENW and WotC for the last hour. Finally found it.
Broken Super Symmetry in an Advanced Theoretic General Relativistic Interpretation (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872670/Broken_Super_Symmetry_in_an_Advanced_Theoretic_Gen eral_Relativistic_Interpretation_of?pg=1)

Sorry for bothering all you playgrounders. If I just dug around a few minutes more this post wouldn't have had to come into being. :smallredface:

Amphetryon
2010-06-26, 05:33 AM
I remember seeing a while ago an old thread that started as a Char Op for abusing the psionic power that removes the coated object from space/time and derailing into designing a starship with talks of instant-kill weaponry and true creation antimatter cannons and all sorts of wild stuff.

Not sure if it's the same thread, but JaronK has posted an "I can make a rocket ship" build over on BG before. If it will help, I can try to dig it up and link it unless he does so first.

Sintanan
2010-06-26, 05:37 AM
All I really remember is the old thread started with insane abuse of quintessence (that's what that power is called...) to --eventually-- start making folds in the space/time.

Yes... many kittens were killed by the physics in that thread.

Bayar
2010-06-26, 06:51 AM

Edit: Found the thread. Been digging through ENW and WotC for the last hour. Finally found it.
Broken Super Symmetry in an Advanced Theoretic General Relativistic Interpretation (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872670/Broken_Super_Symmetry_in_an_Advanced_Theoretic_Gen eral_Relativistic_Interpretation_of?pg=1)

Sorry for bothering all you playgrounders. If I just dug around a few minutes more this post wouldn't have had to come into being. :smallredface:

Thank you. I'd have your children, but I am a guy...

jseah
2010-06-26, 09:44 AM
Ah, that thread. That was awesome while it lasted.

Probably not the kind of thread that could survive anywhere outside of that forum. How to break the universe with D&D magic... the non-CO way.

sofawall
2010-06-26, 11:11 AM
Oh, that was a fun thread. The name is also awesome.

Doc Roc
2010-06-26, 11:47 AM
I miss that thread.

jseah
2010-06-27, 04:02 AM
<...> true creation antimatter cannons <...>
The weapons make antimatter bombs look small in comparison. We're talking about shooting naked singularities that bypass any shield (they don't need line of effect[!]) and causing gravitational fluctuations powerful enough to evapourate entire solar systems.
Doomsday devices could create an explosion containing infinite energy...

In designing magic systems, I have learnt a bit more about physics, specifically, Noether's Theorem.
I now understand exactly why so many crazy things happened in that thread, with regards to portable holes and ring gates.

Normal drive units violate a simple physics symmetry: Time translation. IE. they do not operate backwards in time the same way as they do forwards. Thus they violate the conservation of energy and you have an emissionless drive.
P. Holes and Ring Gates, mostly Ring Gates, violate multiple symmetries that are even further reaching: Spatial Translation/Rotation and Poincare Transformations.
- This means that Ring Gates violate the conservation of momentum and P. Holes do a number on the shape of space-time. Space-time isn't the standard Minkowski space-time anymore, hence the crazy things with naked singularities.
- We probably didn't explore completely the things you could do with them. Obscure stuff like breaking coordinate inversion symmetry (which should be possible with rotating ring gates) would lead to a CP violation, or making left-handed things different from right-handed things.

The Turing Oracle did something far worse to information theory. IE. the ability to create any arbitrary amount of information including non-finite quantities, within an arbitrarily short amount of time. Whoops.

Fortuna
2010-06-27, 04:13 AM
A Turing Oracle?

I think I'm going to have to mine that thread, and populate a museum or something in the halls of the gods with its contents. Naturally, I'll be working with relatively heavy-duty gods.

Doc Roc
2010-06-27, 04:43 AM
A Turing Oracle?

I think I'm going to have to mine that thread, and populate a museum or something in the halls of the gods with its contents. Naturally, I'll be working with relatively heavy-duty gods.

Heh, we named the new ones we invented after luminaries in the various fields of study we were half-heartedly abusing.
I still owe everyone the Death Star module...