PDA

View Full Version : Paimon-based Swordfighter

jeek
2010-06-26, 06:33 AM
So, I'm jumping into level 1 in a game, and I got a bit carried away with character planning, but I'm kind of liking the idea.

Note: DM-created homebrew feat of "Illumian Binder" lets the Krau sigil apply towards Binder-related things.

Illumian Binder 1/Swordsage 1/Barbarian (-fast movement/+pounce//-rage/+favored enemy&archery) 1/Warblade 3/Knight of the Sacred Seal 5 (Paimon)/Warblade +9
Feats: Improved Binding, Illumian Binder, Shadow Blade, ???????

The build uses Weapon Focus from Swordsage to help qualify for KotSS, and gains level 5 vestiges (although doesn't get the second bind until 11, and the first bind is stuck in Paimon starting at level 3). No XP penalties, and other than not getting Shadow Blade until 6, seems relatively solid.

My goals here are (ranked in order of priority):
#1: Use Paimon
#2: Get Shadow Blade (or some other dex to damage)
#3: Gain the ability to bind two vestiges
#4: Use pounce for multiple attacks on a charge

Amphetryon
2010-06-26, 06:46 AM
Needs moar Telflammar Shadowlord. :smallsmile:

jeek
2010-06-26, 06:48 AM
Needs moar Telflammar Shadowlord. :smallsmile:

No sneak attack, no regional feats, and I'm missing every feat on the list.

On the other hand, I did look at Shadow Sentinel. :)

herrhauptmann
2010-06-26, 09:55 PM
No sneak attack, no regional feats, and I'm missing every feat on the list.

On the other hand, I did look at Shadow Sentinel. :)

Take the dark creature template, it's almost as good as Teflammar shadowlord (which also requires a template to take)
Alternatively, take the Shade template from FRCS, but that's a CR+2, LA+4 template. Dark creature is only +1

What does Paimon do for binders? I don't have any books on me right now

mabriss lethe
2010-06-26, 10:22 PM
Take the dark creature template, it's almost as good as Teflammar shadowlord (which also requires a template to take)
Alternatively, take the Shade template from FRCS, but that's a CR+2, LA+4 template. Dark creature is only +1

What does Paimon do for binders? I don't have any books on me right now

don't take the dark template. Buy the dark template. You can buy the collar of umbral metamorphosis for 10K or its constant use variant for 22K.

herrhauptmann
2010-06-26, 10:25 PM
don't take the dark template. Buy the dark template. You can buy the collar of umbral metamorphosis for 10K or its constant use variant for 22K.

You can buy a template?

mabriss lethe
2010-06-26, 10:32 PM
in this specific case, you can purchase a template.

the collar (standard) bestows the template on the wearer for 10 min/day. The constant use one bestows it on the wearer for as long as the collar is worn.

as far as I know it's the only WOTC published item that bestows a template (though I use it as a benchmark for pricing other objects to bestow +1 LA templates)

Person_Man
2010-06-27, 12:51 PM
I would dump Barbarian, Warblade, and Swordsage. They're just delaying your vestige progression, which is far more powerful then the marginal benefits the dipping grants you. For example, you don't need Barbarian because you can get Pounce from Chupoclops (although at higher levels the Binder is much stronger when he focuses on his numerous Save or Lose effects and special abilities, not melee). That should get you to 2 vestiges much more quickly, especially since your DM was nice enough to gift you the Sigil houserule.

Here's X to Y (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732) thread for your Dex to Damage needs. But again, the Binder has far better stuff to do.