PDA

View Full Version : Cool D20s

Pollen
2010-06-26, 10:00 AM
Received a decent image of Q-Workshop's large D20s which I've stuck on Thistle Games (http://www.thistlegames.com/). If you're interested please don't rip it when you get there, as it took light arm twisting to get a large, logo free copy.

I don't have any shares in Q-Workshop but was genuinely impressed by the look and weight of the chunky D20s :smallsmile:

Hendel
2010-06-26, 10:31 AM
Nice look and maybe this doesn't matter, but the number sequencing is different from the "standard" d20. The standard in my experience has the one opposite the twenty and follows that pattern until the ten is opposite the eleven. I know it should not matter for a purely randomly generated number but it is different and I thought I would point that out.

Otherwise looks like a nice die and I might have to add some to my storage room full of dice.

Sir_Elderberry
2010-06-26, 10:41 AM
Nice look and maybe this doesn't matter, but the number sequencing is different from the "standard" d20. The standard in my experience has the one opposite the twenty and follows that pattern until the ten is opposite the eleven. I know it should not matter for a purely randomly generated number but it is different and I thought I would point that out.

Otherwise looks like a nice die and I might have to add some to my storage room full of dice.

It does actually make some difference where weighting errors are concerned. "Standard" d20s, from what I understand, are most commonly afflicted by a slight eccentricity (being "egg-shaped"). The means that if they are shaped in such a way that 20 is more stable, 1 is equally more stable, preserving the mean value if not the actual probability distribution.

PapaNachos
2010-06-26, 10:49 AM
It looks more like a rolldown(or whatever the official name is) die, like the ones sometimes used to track life in MTG.

InkEyes
2010-06-26, 11:25 AM
Yep, that's a spindown. I know a bunch of DMs that ban them, WotC might even ban then at official games. All the high numbers are on one side so it's easy to cheat with them.

Jorda75
2010-06-26, 11:56 AM
Cheating at D&D is so egotistical and self serving it makes me cringe. The dice, however, is pretty cool.

Pollen
2010-06-26, 12:14 PM
Hadn't even occured to me that cheating goes on. Seems so ridiculously pointless. All that time playing a PC to ruin it for the sake of a few hollow victories :smallsigh:

BobTheDog
2010-06-26, 12:27 PM
Hadn't even occured to me that cheating goes on. Seems so ridiculously pointless. All that time playing a PC to ruin it for the sake of a few hollow victories :smallsigh:

You have no idea about what happens behind the DM screen. Or do you really think all DMs roll 20s like there's no tomorrow? :smallwink:

Jorda75
2010-06-26, 01:25 PM
You have no idea about what happens behind the DM screen. Or do you really think all DMs roll 20s like there's no tomorrow? :smallwink:

Well of course the DM cheats, if he didn't how would he kill the PC's? :smallbiggrin:

Yuki Akuma
2010-06-26, 01:32 PM
Well of course the DM cheats, if he didn't how would he kill the PC's? :smallbiggrin:

More commonly the DM cheats to make sure he doesn't kill the PCs. Killing PCs is easy even within the rules.

InkEyes
2010-06-26, 01:37 PM
On the upside, rolling a spindown in a dice cup or rolling them against a wall like in a craps game won't necessarily deviate from the average of a standard d20.

Personally, I only use my spindowns to represent monsters on the battle map or as life counters in Magic. I'd ask my DM how he felt about spindowns before I tried using one at the table. That die is pretty cool-looking though.

I'm kind of a fan of the d'oh! (http://crystalcaste.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CC&Product_Code=06550&Category_Code=FD) dice set, myself. And the ones made out of real stones (http://crystalcaste.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CC&Category_Code=DS); those are cool.

Swordgleam
2010-06-27, 01:08 AM
That would be very handy for counting life in Magic. You'd think by now I'd be able to quickly find each number on a d20, but no such luck.

molten_dragon
2010-06-27, 06:31 AM
I love those real stone dice, but I've never bought a set because they're so expensive. I'd also be worried that they'd bang up my kitchen table when I rolled them.

Yora
2010-06-27, 06:48 AM
I think that fancy dice is unneccessary. It only makes the numbers harder to read, without providing any benefit.