PDA

View Full Version : Once again, Bandil proves his computer inadequacy...

Eon
2010-06-26, 11:47 AM
Hello...again...:smalleek:

Recently, I went to use one of the computers (I'm using a different one...) and when I went to open Internet Explorer (I know, I don't learn... I forgot to change it). No matter what website I tried to go to, I got the error message saying it couldn't go to this website. When I had it diagnose the problem, it said it is not set up to connect.

It says I have internet connection, but like I said above, it doesn't let me go to a website.

Uhh... help?

onthetown
2010-06-26, 11:50 AM
Disconnect and reconnect, or restart computer?

My laptop pulls that sometimes; usually I just have to take out the cable for a few seconds (I don't have wireless) and then put it back in, and then it's fine.

Eon
2010-06-26, 11:53 AM
I've restarted but I'll try reeconnecting

onthetown
2010-06-26, 11:59 AM
Are the computers in the same house or using the same wireless signal? It might be the router or modem or whatever it is that makes the internet happen. (I'm horribly deficient when it comes to these things. :smalltongue: ) My boyfriend's wireless signal-maker thingy goes out during bad weather, for example.

Eon
2010-06-26, 12:29 PM
Yes and yes.

raitalin
2010-06-26, 02:03 PM
Internet connection troubleshooting 101:

1. Find out if the Internet works for any program. If your browser is not working check an IM client or a downloader. If its only out for a browser, that browser is likely in "offline" mode, or is firewalled, which can be changed in the options.

2. I'm not on windows right now, so I can't remember the sequence for accessing the firewall options, hopefully someone else can help out there.

3. Check "My Network Connections" and ensure that your connection is enabled. Try to "Repair", though I've never actually had this give me results.

4. Reset the modem, either by pushing reset (generally in a hole in the back) or by unplugging it and waiting a minute, then plugging it back in. Do the same for the router (if applicable).

5. Check Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device manager and see if there's a yellow exclamation mark on your Network adapter.

Also, when you're looking for help nothing speeds the process faster than having the exact wording of the error message involved.

Eon
2010-06-26, 08:57 PM
:smalleek: uh.. I feel embarassed/stupid right now...

I went and got my older brother, showed him the error... (was different, found 3 viruses with the updated AVG :smalleek:) he told me to...

turn off proxy servers...
*facepalm*