PDA

View Full Version : Maneuvers for a Level 1 Warblade?

CubeB
2010-06-26, 01:22 PM
Alright, so I'm an ECL 3 Warblade, (Pathfinder Half-Dragon LA 2, Warblade).

I've got great physical stats: (STR 26, CON 20, DEX 14, INT 14, WIS 10, CHA 12), An AC of 24, a total attack bonus of 10, a great fort, okay reflex, and crappy will save.

And I'd like some advice in maneuver selection.

Here's what I have so far:

Punishing Stance: Deal an additional 1d6 Damage, but lose 2 AC. I can counteract this fairly easily with Shield of Faith 1/Day.

Leading the Attack: Make a melee attack against an enemy. Allies get a +4 attack bonus against that enemy for one round. Kind of useful. Not to sure about it though.

Moment of Perfect Mind: Substitute a Concentration Check (House Rule: Warblade Level +3) for a will save. I'm a bit sad that Pathfinder doesn't have Concentration as a skill, but this is a good compromise. Besides, I'd take a +4 Will Save over a +0 one any day.

Stone Bones: Make a Melee Attack. You gain DR 5/Adamantine for one round. This one is good at lower levels, but I'm not 100% sure about it.

You guys know more about this than I do. What should my first level maneuvers be?

The-Mage-King
2010-06-26, 01:32 PM
Uh, well... (insert gemstone here) Nightmare Blade. Take advantage of that Con bonus of +5... And maybe...Steel Wind. Two attack at the cost of one action? That sounds good to me.

Yuki Akuma
2010-06-26, 01:34 PM
He's playing Pathfinder. Concentration doesn't exist. That's why his modifier for Moment of Perfect Mind is only +4 rather than the +9 it should be.

*.*.*.*
2010-06-26, 01:37 PM
Steelwind is usually what I take

Hawk7915
2010-06-26, 01:43 PM
Even with a pathfinder nerf, Moment of Perfect Mind is awesome. Steel Wind is usually a strong choice; extra attacks, even if they must be against two targets, are very strong especially at low levels. Also, Ironheart is the greatest style so maxing out maneuvers in that school is a good idea. For the last one...if you plan on tanking a lot, I'd go for Stone Bones. Otherwise, I like the "free movement" of Sudden Leap or the bull-rushing fun of Charging Minotaur. Leading the Attack isn't awful (your allies are probably not sporting that +10 attack bonus), but it's not my favorite. It's hard to screw up a warblade, though: max strength, use a 2H, take punishing stance, and murder people. Maneuvers are just gravy.

Khellendross
2010-06-26, 01:49 PM
Couldn't you sub a combat maneuver for a concentration check? You make those for many other things like trip and grapple. Makes sense you could use it on Tome of Battle classes that are martial in nature.

As a warblade though I prefer any Diamond mind maneuvers if you're looking for any. Bounding Assault for one is gold to me for a charger build. You can take a double move and attack someone but you don't require a straight line so you can go around obstacles and difficult terrain and still get a charge off. Just add in some tumble and get past those AoO.

CubeB
2010-06-26, 02:01 PM
Okay, I'm replacing Leading The Attack with Steel Wind. And I am indeed wielding a two handed weapon, which is going to be quite interesting. :)

Draz74
2010-06-26, 02:23 PM
IMO, Moment of Perfect Mind isn't worth using up a Maneuver Readied if it's not going to make you pass the save for sure. +9 is a pretty automatic "pass" at level 1. +4? Not so much.

Leading the Attack is ok, but kind of boring. Filler, really.

Sapphire Nightmare Blade is normally good, but not so much when Concentration doesn't exist.

Both Stone Dragon maneuvers are awesome at low levels! But Stone Bones does indeed lose its punch quickly. And Charging Minotaur becomes "just ok" instead of amazing.

CubeB
2010-06-26, 02:27 PM
IMO, Moment of Perfect Mind isn't worth using up a Maneuver Readied if it's not going to make you pass the save for sure. +9 is a pretty automatic "pass" at level 1. +4? Not so much.

Leading the Attack is ok, but kind of boring. Filler, really.

Sapphire Nightmare Blade is normally good, but not so much when Concentration doesn't exist.

Both Stone Dragon maneuvers are awesome at low levels! But Stone Bones does indeed lose its punch quickly. And Charging Minotaur becomes "just ok" instead of amazing.

I know, but I'm ECL 3, and since my Wis Modifier is +0... I need all the help I can get. o_o

I'm sticking with Stonebones because (Since the DM refuses to let me have racial hit die) I need all of the defense I can get. (Healing Belt, High AC, Crystal of Lifedrinking, Shield of Faith, and now this.)

Fouredged Sword
2010-06-26, 02:45 PM
One thing a low level warblade can do that will make you crazy tough is to take martial study and pick up crusader's strike for a nice self heal. If you can spare another feat on top of that, the healing stance (I forget the name) playes very well with steel wind and other moves that let you pull of multi hits. That high strength makes me think that you won't need the damage as much as you will need the healing for your small hp.

CubeB
2010-06-26, 03:44 PM
One thing a low level warblade can do that will make you crazy tough is to take martial study and pick up crusader's strike for a nice self heal. If you can spare another feat on top of that, the healing stance (I forget the name) playes very well with steel wind and other moves that let you pull of multi hits. That high strength makes me think that you won't need the damage as much as you will need the healing for your small hp.

Now that is a good maneuver! Thanks man!

Knaight
2010-06-26, 03:58 PM
It also lets you Martial Stance into the crusader stance that heals you every time you smack someone.