PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] 4 arms, double rend?

Geech000
2010-06-26, 02:23 PM
So the party is fighting a rather nasty beasty with 4 arms and the Rend ability (see troll and other critters). My question is, if this beasty hits the same target with all 4 arms, does it do Rend damage twice?

Also, what about Rend and Power Attack? Does Power Attack increase the damage dealt with Rend? If so, does it add an amount equal to the Power Attack penalty, twice the penalty, or 1.5x penalty?

candycorn
2010-06-26, 02:48 PM
The closest thing I can find is this:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/girallon.htm

It's rend states that it gets rend if it hits with 2 or more. The rend doesn't get better if it hits with 4 though.

I'm not sure on Power Attack, though. It all hinges on whether it's a melee damage roll.

Geech000
2010-06-26, 02:59 PM
if it hits with 2 or more.

That's the key phrase I was looking for. So, no double Rend massacre. Thanks!

I'm not sure on Power Attack, though. It all hinges on whether it's a melee damage roll.

It is a damage roll, caused by a melee attack (well, 2 or more melee attacks), but it is not a melee attack (it is automatic damage).

The Glyphstone
2010-06-26, 03:02 PM
More arms just increases the chances you'll get a successful Rend.

candycorn
2010-06-26, 03:31 PM
It is a damage roll, caused by a melee attack (well, 2 or more melee attacks), but it is not a melee attack (it is automatic damage).

If that's true then power attack doesn't add on.

Runestar
2010-06-26, 07:21 PM
So much for my theory of 4 arms allowing for 3 permutations of 2 claw attacks hitting, thus allowing rend to trigger thrice...:smalltongue:

Hague
2010-06-26, 07:27 PM
Eh, it could deal rend damage to two separate targets, but not more than once per target.

Worira
2010-06-26, 07:29 PM
So much for my theory of 4 arms allowing for 3 permutations of 2 claw attacks hitting, thus allowing rend to trigger thrice...:smalltongue:

Wouldn't that be six?

Arms are 1, 2, 3, and 4.

1+2
1+3
1+4
2+3
2+4
3+4

Geech000
2010-06-26, 07:38 PM
Eh, it could deal rend damage to two separate targets, but not more than once per target.

Oooh, I hadn't considered that. :smallamused:

I think Runestar's idea is that Rend is triggered after the 2nd, 3rd and 4th attack. Second attack hits, triggering rend, third attack hits, at least two attacks have hit this round so Rend is triggered again, fourth attack hits and at least two attacks have still hit so Rend is triggered a third time. Total rules lawyering cheese, but amusing to consider. :smallsmile:

Runestar
2010-06-26, 08:00 PM

Here's what a wotc designer has to say.

Rend damage probably should be increased if you’re Power Attacking, but by the rules, it isn’t increased. Go complain to a game designer. Don’t forget to apply that damage, though.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20061013a