PDA

View Full Version : Katana Master PrC for your enjoyment

jiriku
2010-06-26, 05:46 PM
KATANA MASTER

"That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Bastard Sword" bull**** that's going on in the d20 system right now."

-- 1d4chan

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab24/gallopinggiraffes/Katana_Master/AskNinja_ChrisFarley.gif

A katana master spends years practicing with the best sword the world has ever seen: the katana. Katana masters can accomplish deadly feats of destruction with the blade, and their killing power is feared and respected even in distant lands.

REQUIREMENTS
Base attack bonus: +4
Skills: Concentration 7 ranks or Iaijutsu Focus 7 ranks
Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (katana)
Special: Must purchase a katana for about 20,000 gp and must practice with it for almost 2 years.
Special: Must be a devout advocate of the superiority of the katana over any other weapon.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Katana masters have the following game statistics.

Abilities: Strength and Dexterity are important for katana masters so they can best wield their deadly weapon, while Constitution serves them well in surviving enemy attacks and maintaining focus. Charisma contributes to the use of some skills, although katana masters often use it as a dump stat anyway. Intelligence and Wisdom are of no use whatsoever to a katana master.

Hit Die: d10

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Thrice as sharp, disciplined samurai, feared and respected
2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Thrice as hard
3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Vertical slash[/table]

CLASS SKILLS (4 + Int mod per level)
A katana master's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Iaijutsu Focus (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Martial Lore (Int), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Swim (Str).

CLASS FEATURES
Your class features make you a peerless master at wielding the katana, which is already the best weapon known to mankind.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The katana master gains no proficiency with weapons, armor or shields.

Thrice as Sharp (Ex): In your hands, the katana is a deadly blade of destruction. When you wield it, a katana of any quality counts as a masterwork weapon and has the following game statistics:

{table=head]Wield As|Damage|Threat Range|Critical Multiplier

1-handed|
1d12|
19-20|
x4
2-handed|
2d10|
17-20|
x4[/table]

Disciplined Samurai: You practice continually to mold yourself into the perfect warrior wielding the perfect weapon. Each level of katana master adds +1 to your martial initiator level, rather than +1/2 as is usual for a class that does not learn martial maneuvers. However, if you ever use any type of sword in battle other than a katana, you lose all class abilities until you perform sufficient atonement. The atonement spell may be sufficient if you are very sorry and have a good excuse, but at the DM's discretion you may be required to perform additional expiation, such as chopping the offending weapon in half (with a katana).

Feared and Respected (Ex): The famous killing power of the katana intimidates your opponents. Any opponent whom you threaten with your katana takes a -4 to his attack rolls against your allies, because he is too scared of your katana of destruction to focus on other opponents. Additionally, you gain a circumstance bonus equal to twice your katana master level whenever you use the Intimidate skill to demoralize an opponent whom you threaten with a katana, and can attempt to demoralize as a swift action (instead of a standard action).

Thrice as Hard (Ex): Beginning at 2nd level, you learn to exploit the incredible hardness inherent in a weapon that has been folded up to a million times. Any katana you possess is indestructible while on your person, ignores hardness when used to attack objects, and bypasses DR/adamantine. It can even cut slabs of solid steel.

Vertical Slash (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, the katana master learns to unleash the killing power of the katana to cut through even heavily armored targets with a simple vertical slash. Whenever you attack a flat-footed opponent immediately after drawing a katana, the attack is treated as a melee touch attack, since it effortlessly shears through armor, shields, scales, thick hides, etc. Additionally, you gain +2 to hit and damage at all times when attacking with a katana, or +5 to hit and damage if you are wielding the katana two-handed.

Morph Bark
2010-06-26, 05:53 PM
Perhaps there should be a clause stating you lose the benefits of this PrC if you ever use a bastard sword? (Or any sword that will contest your katana's superiority, as I have seen longswords and rapiers do.) Atonement may or may not factor in there. :smallwink:

jiriku
2010-06-26, 06:44 PM
Oh, very good idea! It's now added, under Disciplined Samurai.

Siosilvar
2010-06-26, 06:52 PM
...and eh doesn't afraid of anything?

Mongoose87
2010-06-26, 07:48 PM
I love you.

The-Mage-King
2010-06-26, 07:50 PM

...This is all I can say.

http://knowyourmeme.com/i/000/034/714/original/win10.jpg?1263075627

Mando Knight
2010-06-26, 07:51 PM
Shouldn't there be an exception for the wakizashi Short Sword, so you can wield them in the "daisho" manner?

jiriku
2010-06-26, 08:08 PM
Shouldn't there be an exception for the wakizashi Short Sword, so you can wield them in the "daisho" manner?

A true katana master dual-wields two katanas, sir.

Dead_Jester
2010-06-26, 08:28 PM
A true katana master dual-wields two katanas, sir.

The prestige class is called katana master for a reason, and everybody knows that wielding two katanas instead of one katana and a wakhizaki is the true mark of a badass swords katanamen.

Also, this Prc is very nice, finally giving the katana the true love it rightfully deserves.

Siosilvar
2010-06-26, 08:38 PM
The prestige class is called katananananananananananananana batman! master for a reason, and everybody knows that wielding two katanas instead of one katana and a wakhizaki is the true mark of a badass swords katanamen.

That's it! I'm sick of all this -4 off-handed weapon penalty BS that's going on with two-weapon fighting right now. Arms deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a pair of arms in my mother's womb for 0 Yen (that's about $0) and have been practicing with it for 7 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my arms.

I'm going to stop now.

Kyuu Himura
2010-06-27, 02:55 AM
thank you so much....

Spiryt
2010-06-27, 03:26 AM
I'm dissapointed.

Where's destroying arrows and bullets in the fly?

Where's destructive daisho cry?

Where's kumitsu ?

This class can't even really compete with platoons of soldiers, where's the place for katana fighting?

Mystic Muse
2010-06-27, 05:08 AM
+5 to hit and damage might be a little extreme but that's my only criticism. Other than that I like the class.

Lix Lorn
2010-06-27, 10:14 AM
jiriku, will you marry me? We can cut the cake with a katana!

jiriku
2010-06-27, 11:39 PM
(o.O)

I'll marry no woman who cannot best me in a duel! Prepare to be bisected with a simple vertical slash (and yes please to cake)!

Mystic Muse
2010-06-27, 11:58 PM
I'll duel you instead.

Don't worry. I'm just a level 20 Homebrew Paladin/Druid Gestalt Fiendish celestial colossal half silver half pyroclastic dragon fox.

Oh, and I rolled max health each level.

and those are just the reasonable bits.:smallamused:

I do like the class. If my game ever does make it to epic levels I might ask my DM to allow me to use it. (He wants it to go to epic levels. So far, there will be no source of epic casting) Well, we're halfway there and I'll write reviews of the class once that happens.

Lix Lorn
2010-06-28, 04:37 AM
(o.O)

I'll marry no woman who cannot best me in a duel! Prepare to be bisected with a simple vertical slash (and yes please to cake)!
Summon Katana. Summon Katana. Greater Magic Weapon. Greater Magic Weapon. Eternal Hugs (Self). Hold Monster.

(Charges. Pounces. TWF Hasted Flurry Critical Range 17-20 attack with +5 Sonic Flaming Frost Corrosive Shocking Katanas)

jiriku
2010-06-28, 11:54 AM
/steps aside as Kyuubi and Lix Lorn charge from opposite directions.

/ducks and covers as the two collide with a mighty crash.

Lix Lorn
2010-06-28, 12:15 PM
Hey, Kyuubi, if you join me against jiriku i'll marry you as well. Or have a one night stand, whichever you prefer.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-28, 12:49 PM
Sorry. No can do. I don't do one night stands. My religion forbids it.

As for Marrying you, I have a policy of knowing the person for two years beforemarrying them.

And any Marriage I would be in would have to be exclusive.

Also, that hurt.:smallannoyed:

Lix Lorn
2010-06-28, 02:23 PM
Morals. PAH. Who needs them.
(Throws dart with paralysing venom to remove you from the equation while I go after jiriku)

Oh, and I'd recommend that Thrice as Hard makes a katana indestructible while on your person. Otherwise, it can get shattered the second you sheathe it.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-28, 02:26 PM
Morals. PAH. Who needs them.
(Throws dart with paralysing venom to remove you from the equation while I go after jiriku)

Oh, and I'd recommend that Thrice as Hard makes a katana indestructible while on your person. Otherwise, it can get shattered the second you sheathe it.

I'm immune to paralysis.:smalltongue:

If you want to remove me from the equation all you have to do is ask. I've got other things I can do. Like taking over carealot for instance.

Lix Lorn
2010-06-28, 04:42 PM
Oh. Please stop fighting me, I need to beat up jiriku so he'll marry me, cause of how awesome this class is.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-28, 04:43 PM
Say the magic word and I'll leave.

jiriku
2010-06-28, 04:44 PM
Changed! I put some more indestructible in the katana, so you can sunder starships while you're sundering starships.

@ Kyuubi: Egads, she's shipped us. Pun-pun, save me!

@ Lix Lorn: Ah, I see you're much more formidable than I'd expected. And probably not left-handed, either. I...don't mind. ;)

Lix Lorn
2010-06-28, 05:31 PM
Kyuubi, I respectfully request that you please allow me to get on with marrying jiriku. (Formal bow)

@jiriku: Left handed when I fight. ;P

Mystic Muse
2010-06-28, 05:33 PM
Okay, I'll withdraw myself.

Until I actually use the class.

The Mentalist
2010-06-28, 05:47 PM
You all win infinite internets and cookies.

I'm afraid I don't get the class though? I'm guessing it's a meme I missed.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-28, 05:51 PM

Yeah, this one guy claimed he paid 20,000 USD for a katana and it was capable of cutting through a tank and thought it should be way more powerful in d20.

This class makes EWP: Katana an actually useful feat.

The Mentalist
2010-06-28, 05:53 PM
...That's....

Retarded is not a strong enough word.

Gorgondantess
2010-06-28, 05:56 PM

It's a 4chan (well, 1d4chan reference. You should only see it if you happen to have gone to the darkest depths of the internet...

Or if you go here. (http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Katanas_are_Underpowered_in_d20) SFW, believe it or not.

Though, I have to say, joke or no, the class is OP. A keen katana would be a ridiculously powerful weapon... though, then again, you could just have it be 2,400,000 CP (that's about 20,000 gp, give or take a few thousand.:smallwink:)

lightningcat
2010-06-28, 06:01 PM
I almost feel bad for mentioning this, but you're using a ninjato in your picture. I mean it is from Beverly Hills Ninja.

The Mentalist
2010-06-28, 06:02 PM
It's a 4chan (well, 1d4chan reference. You should only see it if you happen to have gone to the darkest depths of the internet...

Or if you go here. (http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Katanas_are_Underpowered_in_d20) SFW, believe it or not.

Though, I have to say, joke or no, the class is OP. A keen katana would be a ridiculously powerful weapon... though, then again, you could just have it be 2,400,000 CP (that's about 20,000 gp, give or take a few thousand.:smallwink:)

On actual balance of the class if it were fluffed so as not to be a 4chan reference I could allow it, may toned down a bit or spread out over more levels. I think that this isn't that terrible compared to some of the other things you can do. That and anything to get my fighters to stop using a spiked chain....

It just occurred to me that this could be added to a power attack charger. Nevermind. Balance gone.

Edit: Katana wielding ninja, and how can you tell?

lightningcat
2010-06-28, 06:10 PM
Katana wielding ninja, and how can you tell?

The removable square crossguard is the biggest giveaway. Katanas typically have thicker rounded crossguards.

The Mentalist
2010-06-28, 06:11 PM
Okay. Good to know.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-28, 06:13 PM
It just occurred to me that this could be added to a power attack charger. Nevermind. Balance gone.

Just because something can be abused doesn't mean it's unbalanced because of that one situation. Uberchargers are made for TO, not to be used in real games. Heck Truenamer can be abused.

jiriku
2010-06-28, 06:19 PM
Lightning Cat wins a prize! I was wondering how many posts we'd get before someone commented on the ninja-to. You're correct of course.

On some ninja-to, those holes you see in the hilt guard are used to store needle-shaped shuriken, believe it or not. Star-shaped shuriken can also be racked along the blade like meat on a shish-kabob and locked onto the hilt guard.

/swordgeekery

The Mentalist
2010-06-28, 06:22 PM
Just because something can be abused doesn't mean it's unbalanced because of that one situation. Uberchargers are made for TO, not to be used in real games. Heck Truenamer can be abused.

I'm not talking full uber-charger. But any power-attack build is instantly improved by this. There's no reason not to take it as power attacking character and I think that's the measure of balance.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-28, 06:25 PM
I'm not talking full uber-charger. But any power-attack build is instantly improved by this. There's no reason not to take it as power attacking character and I think that's the measure of balance.

So they deal what, 10 extra damage on a hit?

The Mentalist
2010-06-28, 06:29 PM
So they deal what, 10 extra damage on a hit?

I was more looking at the 17-20x4 crit. Having your power attack multiplied by 4 20% of the time is a bit much for a single class level.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-28, 06:30 PM
I was more looking at the 17-20x4 crit. Having your power attack multiplied by 4 20% of the time is a bit much for a single class level.

Ah. Good point. Although in my group that doesn't actually matter as you can apparently only crit on a 20 (Houserule)

Gorgondantess
2010-06-28, 06:55 PM

20%? Hit that sucker with keen and you have a 13-20/x4 crit range. That's stupidly large- grab a few luck feats, or something that gives you a large boost on successive crits, something like corrosive burst, and slap it on an ubercharger? Talk about massive damage. Greathammer is a 2-handed exotic weapon, 1d12 19-20/x4 and a lot of people (myself not included) consider it WTFBBQOP. This makes the greathammer sit in a corner and cry like a baby- one crit is 8d10+6x str modifier. At 20/x4, that might be ok. Still probably not, though.

The Mentalist
2010-06-28, 06:57 PM
20%? Hit that sucker with keen and you have a 13-20/x4 crit range. That's stupidly large- grab a few luck feats, or something that gives you a large boost on successive crits, something like corrosive burst, and slap it on an ubercharger? Talk about massive damage. Greathammer is a 2-handed exotic weapon, 1d12 19-20/x4 and a lot of people (myself not included) consider it WTFBBQOP. This makes the greathammer sit in a corner and cry like a baby- one crit is 8d10+6x str modifier. At 20/x4, that might be ok. Still probably not, though.

Well yes but I was just talking the basics of it. Luck feats are usually useless as most builds I know of are feat starved. Keen on this would be absurdly fun.

demidracolich
2010-06-28, 09:19 PM
Dont forget disciple of dispater and also there is one of The Demented One`s maneuvers called storms edge that double the threat range once again for five rounds for a total of more than 100% crit chance.:smalltongue:

Krazddndfreek
2010-06-28, 09:42 PM
I almost feel bad for mentioning this, but you're using a ninjato in your picture. I mean it is from Beverly Hills Ninja.

...what did you just say? Ninja-to isn't even a real weapon. I'm not even sure who made it up, but it is a silly fictional term that people who don't know what a ninja is use. :smallannoyed:

EDIT: Not to say the thing in the pic is a katana of course, but I don't like that word being mentioned. :smalltongue:

jiriku
2010-06-28, 10:35 PM
This makes the greathammer sit in a corner and cry like a baby

Now you begin to understand the obvious superiority of the katana.

Lix Lorn
2010-06-29, 07:23 AM
20%? Hit that sucker with keen and you have a 13-20/x4 crit range. That's stupidly large
Only two more than a Scimitar. Which isn't even an exotic weapon.

demidracolich
2010-06-29, 12:48 PM
Yes, but this deal 2d10 when the schimitar deals 1d6 and only has a 18-20/x2 crit. It deals twice as much damage as an elven courtblade and has a higher crit chance and multiplier.

Spiryt
2010-06-29, 12:50 PM
And this is real problem because TS thought mainly about balance and stuff making this class. :smallwink:

Lix Lorn
2010-06-29, 02:45 PM
Yes, but this deal 2d10 when the schimitar deals 1d6 and only has a 18-20/x2 crit. It deals twice as much damage as an elven courtblade and has a higher crit chance and multiplier.
Only one more crit chance. Plus, at the high levels we were worrying about, how much of a difference is 2d10-1d6?

Gorgondantess
2010-06-30, 06:24 PM
Only one more crit chance. Plus, at the high levels we were worrying about, how much of a difference is 2d10-1d6?

It's not the fact that it has such a high crit chance, it's that it has such a high crit chance and a x4 modifier. Let's say you have 22 strength, and it's a +1 weapon, then you power attack 2 points- that's 2d10+14 damage. On a crit that's 8d10+56 damage, for an average of exactly 100 damage. With this PrC, you could have that on a level 5 character. Now, once again, this wouldn't be a problem but for, of course, easily having a 13-20 modifier.
Now if you add in, say... a lion totem barbarian orc with leap attack. Then have him hasted and with bless weapon. Things just start getting silly- I'm all for melee having nice things, but 100+ damage on an easy crit at low levels is just too much.

jiriku
2010-06-30, 06:44 PM
Now, once again, this wouldn't be a problem but for, of course, easily having a 13-20 modifier.

Shame on the DM for giving out a +2 equivalent weapon at level 5. OTOH, if the party wizard cast keen weapon on it, I'd call it fair. You'd likely have generated as much extra damage or more by casting haste anyway.

Gorgondantess
2010-06-30, 07:07 PM
Shame on the DM for giving out a +2 equivalent weapon at level 5. OTOH, if the party wizard cast keen weapon on it, I'd call it fair. You'd likely have generated as much extra damage or more by casting haste anyway.

I donno, with that 17-20/x4 crit range... well, hell, if I were the party wizard I'd just cast both on 'em.:smallwink:

jiriku
2010-06-30, 07:47 PM
And the beautiful thing would be, the katana master would deal so much damage that he'd draw all of the aggro, leaving the wizard completely safe...but the katana master's player would thank the wizard's player for the buffs, and the DM would congratulate him for being such a good team player. :smallamused:

One of my most evil moments as a wizard was the day I realized that the best defensive spell in my arsenal was polymorph, cast one of the other PCs.

Mulletmanalive
2010-07-01, 07:58 AM
I might just not be getting the joke, but on Thrice as Hard, could you change the "million times" to "up to 13"? On simple metalurgy, the katana actually starts getting brittler after than point, though considering most basic weapons are folded about three times, it does still put them a mark above.

Vertical slash would probably better as a Standard action, simply because the overhead blows are the slowest moves the katana can make. Either than or just making a note about Ki or making it Cha bonus...

Actually, i think i like the Cha bonus and Ki idea best...

Prime32
2010-07-01, 08:03 AM
I might just not be getting the jokeYou're not. The joke is people taking the simplified view of "bigger numbers = better, regardless of context" as well as ignoring how long it would take to fold something one million times.

Tinydwarfman
2010-07-27, 02:14 PM
It really needs an ability dedicated to cutting tanks in half your katana. The PrC is clearly misrepresenting the tank cutting abilities of a katana.

Morph Bark
2010-07-27, 06:22 PM
It really needs an ability dedicated to cutting tanks in half your katana. The PrC is clearly misrepresenting the tank cutting abilities of a katana.

What are you talking about? No tank can withstand the katana, no matter their levels in Fighter, Paladin or Knight. :smallwink:
Of course, you might've meant the modern tank. Just playin' here.