PDA

View Full Version : Which characters do you most identify with?

MartytheBioGuy
2010-06-26, 07:47 PM
This is a question that I hope will get me to better understand my friends here on the playground.

I, for one, have two, for different reasons.
:redcloak:, because he is facing harsh criticism for doing what he believes is right in service of his deity. I'm planning to be a Lutheran school teacher, and many people (my father included) give me entirely too much flack for it. I feel that it is what will make me most happy, and that God loves me and wants me to be happy. My dad would rather I be a doctor, because he believes that I should make more money than he did when he took the churchwork road.

And :roy:, for reasons you may have already surmised. Plainly spoken, my dad and I DON'T understand each other, no matter how hard I try. I have, however, like Roy, committed to putting the past behind me and live a healthier life for my own sake. There's more to me and Roy, but I'm not entirely comfortable discussing it.

Thanks.

suszterpatt
2010-06-26, 07:57 PM
In before someone says Miko. :P

That said, probably Belkar for me.

JonestheSpy
2010-06-26, 09:16 PM
I actually have the same two as Marty, for entirely different reasons.

Roy because I so often find myself being in the position of the Reasonable Guy saying "Okay, everyone calm down and do what you're supposed to. What? He did what? I can't believe it..."

Redcloak because he was portrayed so dang well in Start of Darkness it's hard NOT to identify with him, even if the particulars of my life and his story don't match up much.

Dr.Epic
2010-06-26, 09:52 PM
Let's see...

:roy: More of less the same reason as MartytheBioGuy.

:thog: dr epic love ice cream

SadisticFishing
2010-06-26, 10:22 PM
Definitely Miko. :D

The Vanishing Hitchhiker
2010-06-26, 10:27 PM
I'll be the first to say Elan. I am smarter, but a lot more unfortunate. Hence the silliness - it copes :smallcool:

Edit: Truthfully, I tend not to see myself in fictional characters, but that's not what the subject line said for me to post about :smallsmile:

RndmNumGen
2010-06-26, 10:45 PM
:durkon: and :vaarsuvius: with some :haley:.

My2Cents
2010-06-26, 11:39 PM
:xykon:
Because for 16 hours a day I'm BORED

My2Cents
2010-06-26, 11:46 PM
Oh, and also :roach:
Because in my group of friends, I'm known for throwing random little jokes into conversations.

waterpenguin43
2010-06-27, 12:14 AM
:vaarsuvius: because I am trying to learn to control my emotions and be more gentle.

Moff Chumley
2010-06-27, 12:15 AM
:haley:

Because I'm always the funkiest being in the room. :smallcool:

Gorgondantess
2010-06-27, 12:30 AM
Well, probably V, most of all, but in all seriousness, after this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0657.html)comic...
Xykon. That speech hit me. Even more after I read Start of Darkness. Sure, he's insane and evil... but I've always been fascinated in the philosophy of power, and Xykon's ideas on it really hit the nail on the head. V's pursuit is admirable, but Xykon is a master.:smallcool:

FeanorFireHeart
2010-06-27, 12:50 AM
:roy: because of leadership, tactics and snarkiness. :elan: for most other things with :thog: when I get overly excited.

Procyonpi
2010-06-27, 01:20 AM
:durkon: for his Mild-mannered Nature, and :elan: and :thog: for their sillyness. If that makes any sense whatsoever.

Kish
2010-06-27, 06:12 AM
I don't identify with any of them, to be perfectly honest, and find the thought of doing so rather horrifying. :smalltongue:

Thanatosia
2010-06-27, 06:59 AM
I guess i'd probably have to go with Lokor (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0133.html).

Ancalagon
2010-06-27, 09:22 AM
With none.

Basically everyone in the comic sees no problem in - even relatively casually -killing things and people for a living.

Kish
2010-06-27, 09:23 AM
With none.

Basically everyone in the comic sees no problem in - even relatively casually -killing things and people for a living.
What about Celia?

Cealocanth
2010-06-27, 09:59 AM
:roy: Becayse of that cocky, sarcastic outlook on life that gets me in trouble so often.

:redcloak: Because he believes that he needs to do what is right, no matter the costs. He stands up for what he believes in.

Out of those two, :redcloak: is the one I most relate to.

Ancalagon
2010-06-27, 10:11 AM
What about Celia?

She's an annoying twit. ;)

Apart from that... she's one of the very few characters that are not excluded due to some basic flaw. That does not have to mean I like the rest of her.

In general, I do not understand the typical "identifying with the hero" thing. For example Valve does not give the hero in Half-Life a voice and stuff to say so the player can easier "identify" themselves with the hero.

I do not want to do that and do not do it. It's a story I play but it's not "me" who is doing this. You can enjoy the story, the game, the characters, but the whole "identification with X" thing is imo totally unnecessary.
I find it even better if the hero does have a voice, is a real character, even when you really cannot identify with him. In that regard Max Payne > Gordon Freeman. So the character of a story (comic, book, movie, game...) should rather be a good character in regard to the story told and not something anyone can "identify" with.

Just an example: We like to be cool and imagine ourselves as cool, but all those who said "Roy" or "Durkon" (for example!) ask yourself.
If you saw some injustice happening in the street late at night (like... two or four drunken guys beating up an elderly woman) would you step in, even if it means you might get beaten yourself? Even if it means you might have to cripple or kill one of the attackers? Even if you might get killed?

Durkon and Roy would do it, it's a fundamental part of their character, their morals, what they are. I bring this example because I want to express it's easy to pick something that makes a character "cool" and identify with it - because you either are the same or would like to be the same. You can even "identify" with a character because he endured hardships you can very well understand and endured yourself (for example, some of the relationship troubles Vaarsuvius has).
But that leaves out important other aspects of the character like the deeply rooted trait for selfless self-sacrifice for a good cause or that Vaarsuvius is actually (ok, to a lesser degree "as well") a racist mass-murderer.

I picked Durkon and Roy as examples because both are very "easy" characters to identify with. Both are good, have a lot of good character traits, are nice guys, in case of Roy not to serious, he's a really cool, smart, and nice person and honestly no really "bad" traits. But still... I would never go as far as saying "I identify myself with some character". As that has consequences most people won't go - as identifying is a much stronger thing than "liking" or "understanding" or "feeling sympathy" or "finding cool".

Another wall of text has ended. Yay!

MartytheBioGuy
2010-06-27, 12:47 PM
The question was "which do you most identify with" not "which are you exactly like." Frankly, I will acknowledge gladly that I am not half the man Roy is, but I can understand his character slightly better than that of, say, Elan, because of my own past and the decisions I have made.

Chill out.

Ancalagon
2010-06-27, 12:53 PM
Chill out.

Who said something I was not-chilled or whatever?

I explained why I think the whole "identify thing" is somewhat strange and widened the view towards a more general approach towards all kinds of entertainment. You can relate to that in some way or leave it.

People naming whom they identify with for what reason or with whom not is totally untouched by that.

super dark33
2010-06-27, 01:11 PM
i am a Vaarsavius Roy with Redclockish Xykon

iElf
2010-06-27, 01:54 PM
:elan: because being silly is fun!:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

EvilElf
2010-06-27, 02:18 PM
I'm going to have to go with :elan: with a splash of :thog: for I am silly and like ice cream.

dps
2010-06-27, 02:39 PM
I guess Roy, 'cause he's the protagonist of the story, but hasn't really had much control over what's going on. I feel like that a lot. Plus, he's snarky, and that's definately me.

PallElendro
2010-06-27, 02:41 PM
I most likely fit :elan:
I am charismatic, funny, loyal, and tries to solve everyone's problems. Elan is more like a Finn from Adventure Time.
I am not exactly fit for :durkon: or :belkar:
Although short, I am neither violent or... however the sort of aggression/passivity Durkon has.

sol-decentguy
2010-06-27, 02:51 PM
I would have to say I am close to a less cocky :roy: I have to do just about the same amount of group management he does, and put up with a lot of the same mess he has to handle.
There are times in my group of friends that I have to play the :durkon: role

I also have some celia traits in the fact that I have only been into RP for little over a year now and there are a lot of things I just don't know and she is the character that best embodies that newness

Bongos
2010-06-27, 03:49 PM
ah, probably Therkla http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/redxiv/therkla.gif. Such a sympathetic character.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-06-27, 04:00 PM
V's intellect and Haley's trust issues

Nave Senrag
2010-06-27, 05:02 PM
:roy::vaarsuvius::redcloak: *insert Hinjo smilie* These guys are the straight men who have to deal with everyone else's bull (I use straight to mean serious; with elves who can tell?).

:haley: I understand how she felt when she lost her voice except

:mitd: meh not so much this guy but his life s filled with people who either don't care about him or don't like him, except for the occasional light in the darkness (you see how I did that?)

And finally those poor squid things that feel like they are trapped in someone else's story

Magnema
2010-06-27, 05:27 PM
The old V, before character development - a simple, intelligent soul in search of knowledge who probably talks too much.

Vemynal
2010-06-27, 08:37 PM
I am Elan but really intelligent, which is why it only drives people even more when I do stupid ****, they know I know better (I tell them I have a high int and low wis)

I'm also slightly less charismatic or good looking sadly xD

Faceist
2010-06-27, 11:11 PM
Roy! Ya gotta feel for the straight man saddled with idiosyncratic, issue-addled comrades. :smalltongue: Aspirationally, also, he's the dude in OOTS I'd most like to emulate.

That said, in personality I'm more like a cross between him and Belkar. Smart, snarky and compassionate, but also cynical, hedonistic and narcissistic. Alas!

Ajadea
2010-06-27, 11:28 PM
:vaarsuvius:, maybe a little bit of :xykon:. Intelligent, single-minded, and unwilling to ask for help, forgetful, and open-minded about the method of success. Sometimes overthinking is bad.

CletusMusashi
2010-06-28, 12:31 AM
Razor. Because I like swimming, eating things, and hot kug fu chicks.
However, I might switch over to Thog if you break out the rocket skates and ice cream.