PDA

View Full Version : Making a good Swashbuckler? [3.5/PF]

Tanuki Tales
2010-06-26, 10:36 PM
I have little experience in this specific flavor of character building, thus I've made this thread. What are some of the most efficient ways to create daring, high flying heroes, dashing scoundrels with a secret heart of gold and damsel saving rogues who would make Errol Flynn proud?

I would think some levels in Swashbuckler, Rogue and maybe Dread Pirate, but aside from that...? *shrugs*

PId6
2010-06-26, 10:38 PM
Daring Outlaw is the easiest way to do this, and even incorporates levels in the Swashbuckler class!

Rogue 4/Swashbuckler X with the Daring Outlaw feat (CS).

Avoid Dread Pirate, since it's not all that great.

Tanuki Tales
2010-06-26, 10:39 PM
Daring Outlaw is the easiest way to do this, and even incorporates levels in the Swashbuckler class!

Rogue 4/Swashbuckler X with the Daring Outlaw feat (CS).

Avoid Dread Pirate, since it's not all that great.

What about Factotum or Uncanny Trickster?

PId6
2010-06-26, 10:41 PM
What about Factotum or Uncanny Trickster?
Straight Factotum can do it too, though whether the spellcasting fits in depends on your view of "Swashbuckler."

Uncanny Trickster isn't really all that great except to extend PrCs beyond their natural level limits (like Hellfire Warlock).

Tanuki Tales
2010-06-26, 10:43 PM
Straight Factotum can do it too, though whether the spellcasting fits in depends on your view of "Swashbuckler."

Uncanny Trickster isn't really all that great except to extend PrCs beyond their natural level limits (like Hellfire Warlock).

Ah.

So no PrCs really fit this idea?

Merk
2010-06-26, 10:46 PM
I usually use a mix of factotum, 3 levels of swashbuckler, and iron heart warblade.

JaronK
2010-06-26, 10:48 PM
Warblade actually does a good job of this, but lacks skills. Factotum has skills. The two go together nicely. Factotum 8/Warblade 12 would be a solid goal.

JaronK

Tinydwarfman
2010-06-26, 10:53 PM
Take 3 levels in it! :smalltongue:

But seriously, you say Swashbuckler, I say Warblade/Swordsage.

PId6
2010-06-26, 10:57 PM
So no PrCs really fit this idea?
Invisible Blade is decent for this. Otherwise I can't really think of good PrCs that also fit the concept. Multiclassing base classes is probably your best bet.

Tanuki Tales
2010-06-26, 11:06 PM
Invisible Blade is decent for this. Otherwise I can't really think of good PrCs that also fit the concept. Multiclassing base classes is probably your best bet.

Isn't the PrC broken as written though?

PId6
2010-06-26, 11:17 PM
Isn't the PrC broken as written though?
If you mean the free action feints, no, because it's errata'd to only be used 1/round.

If you mean the crappy entry prereqs, I wouldn't call that "broken" per se, just very annoying.

Tanuki Tales
2010-06-26, 11:26 PM
If you mean the free action feints, no, because it's errata'd to only be used 1/round.

If you mean the crappy entry prereqs, I wouldn't call that "broken" per se, just very annoying.

I've always heard that the class wasn't written correctly.

Prodan
2010-06-26, 11:27 PM
I have little experience in this specific flavor of character building, thus I've made this thread. What are some of the most efficient ways to create daring, high flying heroes, dashing scoundrels with a secret heart of gold and damsel saving rogues who would make Errol Flynn proud?

I would think some levels in Swashbuckler, Rogue and maybe Dread Pirate, but aside from that...? *shrugs*

Scarlet Corsair > Dread Pirate, iirc.

PId6
2010-06-26, 11:28 PM
That's probably because of the prereqs. The class was intended originally to have some abilities involving ranged weapons, but that was cut later. Unfortunately, they never removed the prereqs related to that, so the prereqs and the class features don't add up. Still, it's not a bad PrC even with those prereqs, as long as you know what you're doing.

Draz74
2010-06-26, 11:47 PM
Pure Swordsage can be a surprisingly good swashbuckler type, although it's a little weird having high Wisdom instead of INT or CHA on a Swashbuckler. Everything else works pretty well. Mostly Diamond Mind focus, with a bit of Setting Sun and Shadow Hand ...

Between a mix of Swashbuckler, Rogue, Warblade, Swordsage, Factotum, Eternal Blade, and Invisible Blade, you've really got too many good options to list.

Or, PId6 did a good job avoiding shameless self-plugs, but I like the homebrew Swashbuckler linked in his signature. It's a ToB-style class, but different enough from both Warblade and Swordsage to warrant an independent existence.

gorfnab
2010-06-27, 01:09 AM
The revamp for Invisible Blade by its original author, Kolja Raven Liquette, can be found here: http://www.wakinglands.com/htm_files/the_prestige_classes_page.htm

Darrin
2010-06-27, 11:27 AM
That's probably because of the prereqs. The class was intended originally to have some abilities involving ranged weapons, but that was cut later. Unfortunately, they never removed the prereqs related to that, so the prereqs and the class features don't add up. Still, it's not a bad PrC even with those prereqs, as long as you know what you're doing.

Actually, Invisible Blade and Master Thrower were originally created as a 10-level PrC, and it some point it was split into two 5-level PrCs. The prereqs and some of the class abilities got klunked up a bit in the process.

nyarlathotep
2010-06-27, 12:47 PM
The pathfinder version of duelist isn't too bad.