PDA

View Full Version : Spell Book

pflare
2010-06-27, 12:37 AM
Hey my first time playing D&D 3.5 and I am playing a wizard. I was wondering if in the future, when I am a higher level, can I remove spells from my spell book that I don't need anymore? Or am I stuck with them for the entire "life" of my character?

Sliver
2010-06-27, 12:49 AM
How good is your game knowledge? I'm asking because the arcane casters are easy to mess up. My first character was a sorcerer and I completely screwed him because I didn't really know what I was doing.

CubeB
2010-06-27, 12:49 AM
Um... I guess? I'm not sure why you'd want to.

You retain those level 1 spell slots for the entirely of your career. They scale with caster level, after all.

I don't think there's a limit to the number of spells you can store in your spellbook. By level 20, you'll have 4 slots of every caster level, and a lot of those lower level spells remain useful your entire career. If you don't want those early spells anymore, just don't memorize them.

dextercorvia
2010-06-27, 12:57 AM
As a Wizard, you are not limited to a certain number of spells known, or even a certain number of spell books. Just get a Handy Haversack and keep them all. There are rules in the SRD for learning extra spells over what you get for leveling, and rules in Complete Arcane for attuning found spellbooks, so you don't have to pay to scribe all those spells into your other book.

Sliver
2010-06-27, 12:59 AM
I don't think there's a limit to the number of spells you can store in your spellbook.

The standard spellbook contains 100 pages. All spells take a number of pages equal to their level, with cantrips taking a single page too.

CubeB
2010-06-27, 01:47 AM
The standard spellbook contains 100 pages. All spells take a number of pages equal to their level, with cantrips taking a single page too.

Ah, well.... You can always stow the extras away in a haversack.

Or... you know. Just throw away the old ones.

Superglucose
2010-06-27, 01:54 AM
Hey my first time playing D&D 3.5 and I am playing a wizard. I was wondering if in the future, when I am a higher level, can I remove spells from my spell book that I don't need anymore? Or am I stuck with them for the entire "life" of my character?
This concept is unfamiliar with me, being "stuck" with spells known?:smallconfused:

To answer your question as it is stated, there is no mechanic for removing spells from your spellbook.

To correct your understanding of what this means, here's a clarification:

There is absolutely no penalty to having a massive spellbook. For the most part, you want as many spells known as possible... this is why Clerics are so awesome (at least, part of th reason). This way if you know you'll need Charm Person tomorrow, you can prep it for tomorrow. Not losing those lower level spells, it is a good thing.

This is because you're not given a maximum number of spells known. You can have multiple spellbooks if necessary, or perhaps become a Geometer (Complete Arcane) or get a Blessed Book (Boccob's Blessed Book, Dungeon Master's Guide). If you find yourself with multiple spellbooks, I suggest a Portable Hole, Handy Haversack, or a Bag of Holding (all Dungeon Master's Guide) to carry them around.

So I guess it comes down to this: No, you can't do that by RAW as far as I know, but let me ask you a question: why do you want to?

KillianHawkeye
2010-06-27, 04:19 AM
You can remove spells from your spellbook with the erase (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/erase.htm) spell. As noted above, though, I'm not sure why you'd ever need to (unless you need to learn a new spell and have no more room in your current book, and for some reason can't go out and buy a new one).

EDIT: Erase is a 1st level spell, so you don't even need to be high level.

Aquillion
2010-06-27, 04:27 AM
Hey my first time playing D&D 3.5 and I am playing a wizard. I was wondering if in the future, when I am a higher level, can I remove spells from my spell book that I don't need anymore? Or am I stuck with them for the entire "life" of my character?You can just buy a new spellbook. (Or a Blessed Book, even better.) By the time you start to run out, the price of a new spellbook isn't that high for you.

There is no limit to the number of spells a wizard can learn, so there's no real reason to want to remove spells from your spellbook. (Well, technically the only limit is your carrying capacity. But that's not much of a limit, and you can always leave some spellbooks at home.)

2xMachina
2010-06-27, 05:33 AM
Really, there ARE a reason magical libraries exists. No one deletes their spells. It's not that books are very expensive after all.

Just chuck all the books into a (private) library (at home), and keep a copied adventuring book that contains your most used spells.

That way, even if you do lose your adventuring spell book (and the spares), you can just head home and copy it back.

Snake-Aes
2010-06-27, 06:15 AM

You don't have to. Wizards can use any number of spells they have in their spellbooks. Thus, buy more spellbooks. It's like 15gp per 100 pages.
There are niftier books on some supplements, giving you more pages or more resistance against adventuring.

If you are really hellbent on knowing as many spells as you can without buying too many spellbooks, take two levels of geometer :p

oxybe
2010-06-27, 09:03 AM
a spellbook is 15gp. it's cheap. buy several. heck, otherwise you could not conceiveably have all your spells in it (note that between levels 17-20 you get up to 8 level 9 spells by leveling alone. that's 72 pages, almost 3/4 of your spellbook right there).

as others have said wizards in the later game carry spellbooks. plural. or the big magical tomes that never seem to have more pages then they can conceivably hold like some sort of magical PDA.

The Shadowmind
2010-06-27, 09:32 AM
There are rules for custom spells books in Complete arcane, separate cover costs, and page type costs. Nothing in the rules prevent making a 1000 page paper, dragonhide cover spell book, other than it would weight 22 lbs. or with 1000 pages of metal foil would be a 202lb. spell book and the metal foil/dragon hide one would cost 5,200gp.

oxybe
2010-06-27, 09:35 AM
There are rules for custom spells books in Complete arcane, separate cover costs, and page type costs. Nothing in the rules prevent making a 1000 page paper, dragonhide cover spell book, other than it would weight 22 lbs. or with 1000 pages of metal foil would be a 202lb. spell book and the metal foil/dragon hide one would cost 5,200gp.

why is it that when i read this i instantly thought of an archivist yelling "BIBLE FIGHT!" and just chucking his prayer book at his enemy?

AslanCross
2010-06-27, 09:39 AM
The Blessed Book and Aureon's Spellshard are easy ways of expanding your repertoire. The Geometer prestige class has a class feature that reduces the space each spell takes up to one page.

As a wizard, you don't really want to "lose" your spells. They'll come in handy sooner or later.

balistafreak
2010-06-27, 12:03 PM

That's no spellbook...

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-06-27, 02:23 PM
why is it that when i read this i instantly thought of an archivist yelling "BIBLE FIGHT!" and just chucking his prayer book at his enemy?

You sir, have just won. Time to throw this in my own little spellbook.:smallbiggrin:

Hague
2010-06-27, 02:47 PM
Yeah, just imagine a Wu Jen/Monk/Drunken Master that uses his 50 lb spell book on a leather strap as an improvised reach weapon :smallbiggrin:

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-27, 02:49 PM
I remember in the game shadowhearts one of the character' Alice would whack monsters upside the head with huge &)*&@% bible.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-27, 02:51 PM
That's no spellbook...

...that's a space station (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MemeticMutation).

capfang
2010-06-27, 03:15 PM
...that's a library (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MemeticMutation).

Fixed.

I played a wizard in my first dnd game; thing that screwed me over there was picking what spells to prepare for the day.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-27, 03:25 PM
I've had 600 page text books. I see no reason a spellbook couldn't be that thick.

balistafreak
2010-06-27, 03:27 PM
I've had 600 page text books. I see no reason a spellbook couldn't be that thick.

600 pages of paper/parchment/heck, even vellum =!= 1000 pages of SOLID. EFFING. METAL.

No seriously, when was the last time you saw a book with metal pages? Get back to me with an answer. :smallwink:

...that's a space station (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MemeticMutation).

:smallannoyed:

*punch*

:smallbiggrin:

oxybe
2010-06-27, 03:30 PM
Bible Thumper 2 : Theological Boogaloo?

Defiant
2010-06-27, 03:36 PM
I'm really curious to see the OP come back and explain why he would possibly want to delete his spells...

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-27, 03:36 PM
600 pages of paper/parchment/heck, even vellum =!= 1000 pages of SOLID. EFFING. METAL.

No seriously, when was the last time you saw a book with metal pages? Get back to me with an answer. :smallwink:

:smallannoyed:

*punch*

:smallbiggrin:

I think I saw in one a film once, however the book was about 3ft tall, and really damn thick.

Snake-Aes
2010-06-27, 03:37 PM
I'm really curious to see the OP come back and explain why he would possibly want to delete his spells...

Technically, if someone rips a page off his spellbook and he has no copies, he lost that spell.

Keld Denar
2010-06-27, 03:37 PM
like some sort of magical PDA.

Apples newest invention, the iSpell, Eberron's first fully interactive touch screen spellbook. Scroll effordlessly from Acid Arrow to Wish simply by touching the screen. New expanded application technology also includes 8 MegaPixel camera so you can take pictures of your favorite locations to teleport to later, or share them with your friends. Also included is a built in spell-targeter, iTarget. Never again worry about singeing your friends with a slightly off course fireball. The iTarget app clearly shows spell overlap area for on-the-spot targetting.

Buy one today and we'll give you this acid resistant, high-impact carrying case absolutely free!

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-27, 03:38 PM

Well most of us assume he thought wizards had some spellbook limit.

Apples newest invention, the iSpell, Eberron's first fully interactive touch screen spellbook. Scroll effordlessly from Acid Arrow to Wish simply by touching the screen. New expanded application technology also includes 8 MegaPixel camera so you can take pictures of your favorite locations to teleport to later, or share them with your friends. Also included is a built in spell-targeter, iTarget. Never again worry about singeing your friends with a slightly off course fireball. The iTarget app clearly shows spell overlap area for on-the-spot targetting.

Buy one today and we'll give you this acid resistant, high-impact carrying case absolutely free!

In d20 modern's urban arcana they mention spell book PDA"s

The Shadowmind
2010-06-27, 04:14 PM
Well nothing about the spell book requires spells to be the only thing written in it, so the dragonhide/metal one I think would be an appropriate for a Hulking hurler's kill record list.

Snake-Aes
2010-06-27, 04:16 PM
Given spellbooks are cheaper, page per page, than scrolls, parchment and similars, I presume all literate Experts in town buy spellbooks to take notes about shoe making, emergency cooking and the like.