PDA

View Full Version : Batman Wizard, Joker Bard, oh my

Evard
2010-06-27, 08:34 AM
Are there any other builds based around the old comic book heroes and villains?

My friend wants to try out a batman wizard and I'm not sure where to go with my character.. Although the joker bard was made to be a BBEG would he fit well on the same side as the batman wizard (batman brave and the bold he actually does team up with the joker....). If not what other super heroes/villains are there than can fit into a 3.5 or 4e DnD game.

Yuki Akuma
2010-06-27, 08:36 AM
No no, the Joker is a Monk. Silly.

Sploosh
2010-06-27, 08:47 AM
There is that Hulk build somebody made that utilizies stoneblessed goliathe and warhulk with a small race that doesnt normally qualify for warhulk.

Rannil
2010-06-27, 08:49 AM
Maybe there are, but the normal term "Batman wizard" refers to a wizard with a spell for every situation, like batman has a tool for every situation. The "joker bard" is in response to the Batman wizard, someone who also "one-ups"/outsmarts the "batman wizard" mainly by using social skills. They aren't builds based on the comic character.

But nothing prevents you from making one and possibly it has been before. But a large part of the character will be fluff/rpg anyways.

Evard
2010-06-27, 09:04 AM
Yes i know what they are and it doesn't have to be that character just a class that is based on the concept. Like someone said in the joker bard thread... Make a character that is perfect for underwater fighting and useless out of water and you have Aquaman :P

I wasn't for sure if there was any other builds out there like a Green Goblin Sorcerer or an Iron Man Paladin (ha!)

Octopus Jack
2010-06-27, 09:10 AM
There is a "Riddler" Truenamer somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it out

Rannil
2010-06-27, 09:12 AM
Pardon me then.

I was thinking, you wouldn't be able to build a "Real bat man wizard", due magic not being gadgets and wizards aren't skilled in martial arts.
But if you take a bag of holding and stuff it with useful mundane items. Grappling hook, ladder, various potions, ropes, wands. A rogue would work, skill monkey, UMD, unarmed dual wielding. Not optimized but it sure would look like a batman. Pulling useful items out is belt/bag of holding (wasn't there a "belt of holding" belt of many pockets?) being able to fight unarmed, aka martial. Wands, potions instead guns and grenades. And of course a bat suit.

But mostly fluff, not really a build, it would give a batman feeling.

Edit: Then you get team batman, batman and batman. A wizard and a rogue. Just get a big stupid fighter to get hit.

Rothen
2010-06-27, 09:44 AM
I remember reading a Psion Guide which compared the class to Nightwing.

Edit: Here. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8342.0)

EvilJoe15
2010-06-27, 09:59 AM
Druid 20 with Natural Spell is sometimes called a Bane Druid.

Heliomance
2010-06-27, 10:15 AM
Pardon me then.

I was thinking, you wouldn't be able to build a "Real bat man wizard", due magic not being gadgets and wizards aren't skilled in martial arts.

Enlightened Fist.

Yes i know what they are and it doesn't have to be that character just a class that is based on the concept. Like someone said in the joker bard thread... Make a character that is perfect for underwater fighting and useless out of water and you have Aquaman :P

I wasn't for sure if there was any other builds out there like a Green Goblin Sorcerer or an Iron Man Paladin (ha!)
Iron Man's an Artificer. Possibly some Renegade Mastermaker in there as well.

Demons_eye
2010-06-27, 10:17 AM
Build Concept:

Captain America

Warblade14/Bloodclaw Master 2/Bloodstorm Blade 4

The Tactic: Use your Shield as a viable weapon in melee and at range.

Bloodclaw Master allows your off-hand weapon (that is to say, your shield) to deal full Str damage (rather than 1/2) and negates the -2 penalty for TWFing. Of course, it only applies to Tiger Claw weapons, but there are ways around that little restriction

Bloodstorm Blade 4 allows you to throw your shield at anyone and have it return instantly. You can also treat a thrown weapon as a melee weapon, which means you can Power Attack with them while throwing them, if you like.

Also, I'm surprised you haven't made a bigger mention of Dungeoncrasher, which can do some pretty awesomely synergistic things with bull rushing with a shield.

Also, another cheezy tactic:

Heavy Shield +1 with Shield Spikes +1 Defending

Shield Spikes are considered weapons which may be separately enchanted. So you enchant them with Defending, to get even MORE AC out of your shield. With a Greater Magic Weapon and Magic Vestments, your shield can be pimping out with +7 Shield AC and another +5 UNNAMED bonus to AC from Defending for a total of +12. Not too shabby.

From the makers of the Joker Bard, I have decided to create yet another comic book character in the D&D world. This time, Big Mean Green.

Right now, here's the build:
Eldarial has helped me brainstorm some ideas, here's what we have so far:

Bruce Banner
"Don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry..."

CG/Male/Strongheart Halfling/ Monk (Overwhelming Attack style) 2/Stoneblessed3/Crusader1/Barbarian1/Hulking Hurler2/War Hulk10/FB1
Init +Dex, Senses: Listen +, Spot +,
Languages Common, Terran, Goliath
------------------------------------------------
AC 18, touch 18, flat-footed (13)
hp ( HD)
Fort +, Ref +, Will +
------------------------------------------------
Speed20 ft. ( squares)
Melee
Base Atk +8 (+15 unarmed), Grp +
Atk Options Full attack: 6d8+16, or 6d8+48 on a charge) +25/+25/+20/+15 or Throw: 8d6+41 (+25)
Combat Gear
Supernatural Abilities
-----------------------------------------------
Abilities Str 6, Dex 20, Con 16 (20 after level-points applied), Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8 (38 point buy)
SQ
Feats Power Attack (monk bonus), Improved Bull Rush (Monk bonus), Point Blank Shot (racial bonus), (1st level feat open), Weapon Focus (rocks) (3rd level), Cleave (6th level), Intimidating Rage (9th), Destructive Rage (12th)
Skills
Possessions Necklace of Natural Attacks +1 Skillful, Valorous; Monk's Belt

Ask sneaky, he seems to be good at this.

Lysander
2010-06-27, 10:23 AM
Yeah, a batman wizard isn't really batman. They're more like Doctor Fate. Batman is just a way of saying "prepared for anything"

As for your question, Warlocks are sometimes compared to Iron Man. Unlimited flight, offensive blasts, and random invocations copy the abilities of Tony Stark's armor pretty well.

waterpenguin43
2010-06-27, 10:26 AM
As for your question, Warlocks are sometimes compared to Iron Man. Unlimited flight, offensive blasts, and random invocations copy the abilities of Tony Stark's armor pretty well.

Not to mention Chaotic Neutral is a fitting alignment for him.

quiet1mi
2010-06-27, 01:43 PM
Consolidating the List

Batman - Artificer
Doctor Fate - Wizard
Sorcerer - Robin
Warhulk - Bane
Bard - Joker
Warlock - Ironman

Sliver
2010-06-27, 02:07 PM
Consolidating the List

Batman - Artificer
Doctor Fate - Wizard
Sorcerer - Robin
Warhulk - Bane
Bard - Joker
Warlock - Ironman

At first glance you think it's a character - class list... So I started thinking where can I find the Ironman or Robin classes... It's a PrC isn't it? :smalltongue:

quiet1mi
2010-06-27, 02:11 PM
Got to love third party releases...

Sliver
2010-06-27, 02:14 PM

I had to google it and I found out that "The Lost Island of Castanamir" has a monster called Iron Man, which is a smaller, cheaper iron golem...

Prodan
2010-06-27, 03:28 PM
Bane's a barbarian, according to a barbarian guide.

Eldariel
2010-06-27, 03:36 PM
Bane's a barbarian, according to a barbarian guide.

Well, the "War Hulk"-build is based on Barbarian too; specifically:
Stoneblessed to qualify as a Goliath on levels 2-4
Barbarian with Goliath Mountain Rage sub on level 5; this makes you Large when you Rage
Then you pick War Hulk and Hulking Hurler both of which only work when you're large, and Frenzied Berserker which makes you Rage when you take damage which means you're normally a random guy and then become a walking avatar of destruction smashing houses and throwing cars (or walls and wagons in a more standard D&D setting).