PDA

View Full Version : Lycanthropy and Wildshape

Chrono22
2010-06-27, 09:12 AM
I'm not sure how these two abilities interact, if at all. Do the benefits (abilitie adjustments, natural armor) stack, or overlap? Do the forms "stack"? Can an afflicted lycanthrope wildshape into a different form, and does doing so end the lycanthropic transformation?
For example, if a druid were to wildshape into a bear, and then the full moon rises, and he unwillingly transforms into one of his were-forms... is he a bearē? In lieu of a save, can he use wildshape to end the unwilling transformation?

Snake-Aes
2010-06-27, 09:15 AM
They probably don't stack. Pick one over the other and if you can't choose not to become a werething, you become the werething in lieu of wildshape.

Morph Bark
2010-06-27, 09:51 AM
This makes me think you could potentially become an omniwere in a similar way, being able to take on hybrid forms of any animal.

Snake-Aes
2010-06-27, 09:57 AM
This makes me think you could potentially become an omniwere in a similar way, being able to take on hybrid forms of any animal.

Oh my, OWLBEARS MAKE SENSE NOW!

Curmudgeon
2010-06-27, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure how these two abilities interact, if at all. ... Can an afflicted lycanthrope wildshape into a different form, and does doing so end the lycanthropic transformation?
They interact by the lycanthropy preventing wild shape, ever again.
Wild Shape (Su)

At 5th level, a druid gains the ability to turn herself into any Small or Medium animal and back again once per day. ... This ability functions like the alternate form special ability, except as noted here.
A creature cannot use alternate form to take the form of a creature with a template. Once you pick up any sort of template you cannot use wild shape, because doing so requires you to be able to turn back into yourself, and you're not allowed to do that because you can't take your templated form.

Yuki Akuma
2010-06-27, 12:16 PM
Wild Shape doesn't require you to be able to turn into yourself. It gives you that ability.

Also the "except as noted here" part supersedes the general Alternate Form rules anyway. Specific trumps general and all that.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-27, 01:41 PM
They interact by the lycanthropy preventing wild shape, ever again. Once you pick up any sort of template you cannot use wild shape, because doing so requires you to be able to turn back into yourself, and you're not allowed to do that because you can't take your templated form.

Alternate form doesn't let you turn into a creature with a template, however you already have a template so your not turning into one.
Otherwise Lycanthropes wouldn't function because they use alternate form and are also a template.

By turn into a creature with a template they mean like a celestial bear, or a half-dragon T-Rex. The same restriction you find on polymorph and such.

A druid turning into a bear is using wild shape, a druid turning back into himself is dismissing wildshape.

Lycanthropy and wildshape both use the alternate form formula. A creature with alternate form can only take on one shape at a time. The same would apply here.