PDA

View Full Version : OKness vis a vis taking a banned friends avatar?

Sir Bacon
2010-06-27, 10:14 AM
If I have his permission is it OK or is the avatar tainted in some way?

Tirian
2010-06-27, 10:37 AM
Your friend who shares your IP and was just banned? And you joined this morning?

Lord Loss
2010-06-27, 10:47 AM
You'd have to ask Roland Saint Jude or Rawhide, as well as the artist. I'd say yes, though.

Weimann
2010-06-27, 10:54 AM
The question about whether the same avatar can be used and the question about whether the OP is suspicious in any way are separate.

My opinion on the asked question is that the avatar should be okay as long as it was not the reason for the ban.

Whether or not the OP is trying to sneak back in is for Roland to judge, really, and shouldn't interfere with the formal question.

Haruki-kun
2010-06-27, 11:00 AM
I'm going to ignore everything else and answer the question directly.

I think what matters is who the avatarist was and whether or not s/he's OK with it.

Sir Bacon
2010-06-27, 11:02 AM
If it looks weird, it is because I created my account at his house because he is helping me DM his game. I.e telling me what his plans were and stuff like that.

Serpentine
2010-06-27, 11:35 AM
Find out who made it, and ask them.

Zeta Kai
2010-06-27, 11:54 AM
If it is a particularly distinctive avatar, or a long-used one (Azerion & EvilElitist come to mind as memorable avvies), then your reputation may be conflated with his, for good or ill. People may, at a glance, just assume that you two are the same, or that he just changed his name, or that there is an error with your post count, or any other such scenario. I would think that the OP would wish to be wary of confusing the two accounts, regardless of whether or not they are the same person as the banned one. Either way, it may not be worth it, & could potentially cause problems down the road.

Knaight
2010-06-27, 12:53 PM
That said, if it wasn't distinctive, particularly if it was one of the defaults (there should be a list of pre made avatars you can just select from somewhere in the User CP section), I would imagine there is no harm done. If its someone else's art ask them, unless they made one for general use. However, you should be able to get your own, and custom made for you at that, with minimal trouble.

Roland St. Jude
2010-06-27, 12:58 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: This has come up before. Please don't adopt a banned poster's avatar. That sort of falls under discussing/glorifying/memorializing a banned poster.

Also, banned posters are not permitted to return and you shouldn't be posting on their behalf.