PDA

View Full Version : Slayer of Domiel

SurlySeraph
2010-06-27, 01:56 PM
I like this PrC's flavor, but its crunch is highly disappointing.

It requires two worthless feats to get in, Servant of Heavens and Sanctify Martial Strike. And I strongly suspect they meant for it to require Sacred Strike rather than Sanctify Martial Strike. Sanctify Martial Strike requires Cha 15 and Weapon Focus, which are not listed in the SoD's requirements, and Sacred Strike boosts sneak attack against evil opponents, which seems like a rather more appropriate prerequisite for a class whose entire shtick is a holy assassin. However, the errata says nothing on the topic.

Its signature class ability is a death touch like Death Domain clerics get, which is strictly worse than Sneak Attack in pretty much every conceivable situation. Granted, the Assassin's death attack isn't all that much better, but that at least has some applications. Making its death touch into a save-or-die (say, DC 10 + class level + Wis or Cha) would make it much more usable.

It's a Rogue PrC, but Disable Device doesn't appear on its skill list for some damn reason.

Its spell list is... acceptable. Nothing special, and would benefit from adding in a few SpC spells like Gravestrike, Find the Gap, and Knight's Move, but acceptable.

And, of course, it's highly MAD, requiring good Dex for roguishness, Int for skills since it only gets 4+Int skill points, Wis for its spells, and Cha for Divine Grace, but Lawful Good always gets MAD things.

With that said, would you allow the fixes I've suggested above?

Amphetryon
2010-06-27, 02:14 PM
And I strongly suspect they meant for it to require Sacred Strike rather than Sanctify Martial Strike. Sanctify Martial Strike requires Cha 15 and Weapon Focus, which are not listed in the SoD's requirements, and Sacred Strike boosts sneak attack against evil opponents, which seems like a rather more appropriate prerequisite for a class whose entire shtick is a holy assassin. However, the errata says nothing on the topic.I'm inclined to agree.

Its signature class ability is a death touch like Death Domain clerics get, which is strictly worse than Sneak Attack in pretty much every conceivable situation. Granted, the Assassin's death attack isn't all that much better, but that at least has some applications. Making its death touch into a save-or-die (say, DC 10 + class level + Wis or Cha) would make it much more usable.If it makes it better for your game, go for it. I'd personally prefer to see it as an exact copy of Death Domain than the Assassin's Death Attack, with the DC off of CHA.

It's a Rogue PrC, but Disable Device doesn't appear on its skill list for some damn reason.My experience is that Disable Device is nigh useless on a PrC, because the casters can get around the traps by the time PrCs get entered barring high cheese shenanigans.

Its spell list is... acceptable. Nothing special, and would benefit from adding in a few SpC spells like Gravestrike, Find the Gap, and Knight's Move, but acceptable.I'm with you on Find the Gap and Knight's Move; Gravestrike seems oddly off-flavor for a PrC that targets living enemies, and is generally available through UMD for corner cases.

And, of course, it's highly MAD, requiring good Dex for roguishness, Int for skills since it only gets 4+Int skill points, Wis for its spells, and Cha for Divine Grace, but Lawful Good always gets MAD things.Make its casting CHA based and it balances better for my taste, with no further fixes other than previously mentioned.