PDA

View Full Version : Affinity Field and Psicrystals

Snake-Aes
2010-06-27, 02:23 PM
I have my psicrystal in my pocket. If I cast Affinity Field, will harm that I take transmit to it? If I share the power with it, will harm I take trigger it to harm me? If someone casts Suggestion on me, who is considered the caster on the guys that take it through my affinity field?

My guess for the second is "No", and for the third "The original caster", but i'm just not sure.

Ideally, I'd like my psicrystal not to suddenly explode because I popped an Affinity Field.

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-27, 02:59 PM
I have my psicrystal in my pocket. If I cast Affinity Field, will harm that I take transmit to it? If I share the power with it, will harm I take trigger it to harm me? If someone casts Suggestion on me, who is considered the caster on the guys that take it through my affinity field?

My guess for the second is "No", and for the third "The original caster", but i'm just not sure.

Ideally, I'd like my psicrystal not to suddenly explode because I popped an Affinity Field.Well, for one, your psicrystal has total cover from you for being in your pocket, meaning it wouldn't be subject to the affinity field.

Furthermore, under the psicrystal entry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/psicrystal.htm) it specifies that psicrystals are immune to harmful effects that require a Fortitude save and don't affect objects. Now check out affinity field (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/affinityField.htm). Note that it requires a Fortitude save, and is "potentially harmless," meaning your psicrystal would only be affected by beneficial or neutral effects, and never ever ever takes damage.

The damage it takes would definitely be transferred to you if you fail a Fort save, though. However, this does allow you to double-up (or triple-up) on damage with your powers, especially if you take precautions and use vigor first. Let's say you manifest a 17d6+17 energy ball, centered on yourself. You take damage, your psicrystal takes damage, and everything around you takes damage. Both you and your psicrystal transmit that damage to everything in the field that fails its Fort save. You take extra damage from your psicrystal (which you transmit again), but your psicrystal is fine, since it's not [harmless].

And the caster of the original suggestion would be considered the original caster, since you're just rerouting it, rather than manifesting (or casting) it yourself.

Snake-Aes
2010-06-27, 03:08 PM
Ouch, I completely missed that fortitude save. That solves everything \o/

Hague
2010-06-27, 03:10 PM
Bah, this is confusing!

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-27, 03:16 PM
Actually, I'm going to renege a bit on what I said; you are considered the manifester of the affinity field, and so creatures that are affected must make saves based on the affinity field that they're hit with, and you're also using your ML to overcome their PR.

So it'd be you that's considered the manifester in that case, though the effects of the spell or what-have-you are determined by the original caster or manifester. For instance, a telekinetic thrust spell would have your affinity field DC as its DC, but all of its original parameters would otherwise be the same.

Snake-Aes
2010-06-27, 03:17 PM
It's not, really. It's just a chain of events.

1)You take damage. You spread damage. Pet Rock does not take it.
2)Pet Rock takes damage. Pet Rock spreads damage. You fail your save and take damage. Proceed to #1
An aoe hitting you would just add both together. You take damage, pet rock takes damage, you pass twice that much damage through the field.

That is, assuming damage that goes through the field triggers other fields, which is not specified by raw, and probably allowed. I'd just forbid it because otherwise two psions in range of each other would divide by zero and explode into ludicrous gibs.

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-27, 03:19 PM
It's not, really. It's just a chain of events.

1)You take damage. You spread damage. Pet Rock does not take it.
2)Pet Rock takes damage. Pet Rock spreads damage. You fail your save and take damage. Proceed to #1
An aoe hitting you would just add both together. You take damage, pet rock takes damage, you pass twice that much damage through the field.

That is, assuming damage that goes through the field triggers other fields, which is not specified by raw, and probably allowed. I'd just forbid it because otherwise two psions in range of each other would divide by zero and explode into ludicrous gibs.Well, the only way for a psicrystal and his psion to make an Infinite Damage LoopTM would be by using share pain and affinity field together. Otherwise, no damage loops unless there's another similar effect from a different source involved.