PDA

View Full Version : Pseudodragon build

Iden
2010-06-27, 02:25 PM
So, I've decided on the Pseudodragon for my Fake Familiar chartacter. I also think I wanna go with a golem of sorts to act as my "master". He would pretend to be a powerful wizard/warrior wearing a long cloak that covers his face. He communicates telepathically (so I can speak for him) and charges into combat swinging his sword and "casting" spells (I stay hidden out of sight, and use mindsight to find my enemies and deceptive magic to make it seem that he is casting them.)

I wanna go with a wizard type. The backstory being that, he wasn't very charismatic but was very intelligent and so became a wizard instead of a Sorc. I've talked to the DM and plan to have one half of a ring gate located in a blocked cave and the other half held by my golem so I can have access to a hoard.

The DM is letting me de-advance the HD to 0 and is granting everyone in the group 2 free LA for our 11th level characters. This would give me 10 character classes and +1 LA which I'm gonna buy back when I can. This is a high powered campaign in which we get a "boon" magic item from the DM. For mine, he's giving me the Amulet of Supremacy from the Draconomicon, but added the fact that it gives all spells silent spell for free. Like I said, high-powered.

So, ideas? Feats? Spells? Dragon specific feats or items I may not know about? I thought you guys might have some good thoughts for me, like you have in the past...

Iden

Flickerdart
2010-06-27, 02:42 PM
If you are 10th level, you will have long since bought off your LA, since LA +1 can be bought off at 3rd level.

Alter Self could be interesting, as it would allow you to take on Wyrmling forms of most True Dragons and with a generous interpretation, Dragonwrought Kobolds, without the use of a high-level spell. Polymorph sadly undoes the advantages of the dragon type by letting any schmuck turn into one. Amusingly enough, as a proper Dragon you can take Dragon-only feats, then turn into Dragons and use them. Pretending to be the Familiar, that might not be your go-to option, however.

If you want to build your "master" yourself, go into the Effigy Master PrC (CArc). Or, I guess, take Leadership. Or go Incantatrix and Persisted Polymorph your actual familiar into something sufficiently scary (grabbing Improved Familiar for an Outsider to Polymorph opens up many options).

Fax Celestis
2010-06-27, 02:57 PM
This is a perfect opportunity for dragonfire adept.

Jack_Simth
2010-06-27, 04:53 PM
You might consider a Wyrmlin True Dragon, such as a Brass or Copper (LA +2, rather than +3), especially if you can de-level the hit dice - although that does have the minor problem in your build of no telepathy (solvable by way of a one-level dip in Mindbender). Gives you a better Fly speed, better attacks for if you do end up in melee, and opens up such options as Loredrake (2 extra levels of racial Sorcerer casting) or Spellhoarding (Racial casting is as a wizard, rather than as a Sorcerer). Oh yes, and it puts clerical spells on your class list, which is useful for crafting constructs, as at least a few of them require some cleric-only spells.

Iden
2010-06-28, 12:21 AM
The spell hoarding actually looks pretty cool and fits the theme. I was thinking about mindbender as well to get that telepathy if I needed it.

If I were to make this character as an equivalent level 11 character in which I bought back the LA would I just make a level 10 character who is 1000 xp behind level 11?

Sintanan
2010-06-28, 02:32 AM
2000 xp behind. (3rd level, -1; *1000.. at least that is how I read it in UA)

Other than what you have so far (Spellhoarding Psuedodragon wizard/mindbender), I would suggest using the alternate spellbook (tattoos) in Complete Arcane.

Then, for your "familiar," try to get a construct --I think one of the Dragon mags or a Complete book allows for construct familiars-- then apply incarnate construct and a polymorph to make them humanoid-ish.

But, as I'm away from books, I can't guarantee you can get away with an incarnate construct'd construct familiar by RAW/RAI.

Prime32
2010-06-28, 05:25 AM
Anyone with telepathy would be crazy not to take Mindsight (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Mindsight).

Iden
2010-06-28, 12:28 PM
Oh yes, Mindsight was part of my initial concept. Hiding out of sight and using mindsight to find them. Also I'm not sure I want my familiar to be the construct as I want the construct to be entirely expendable without causeing me immense harm if it dies... Any thoughts on one of the alternate class features in giving up the familiar? Otherwise I was thinking of going with maybe some kind of intelligent item ala RoE or a hummingbird.

Prime32
2010-06-28, 12:36 PM
Any thoughts on one of the alternate class features in giving up the familiar?The best for a wizard is Abrupt Jaunt - Int/day, teleport 10ft as an immediate action. You have to be a conjurer, but it's not like conjuration is weak. :smalltongue: