PDA

View Full Version : Sea Monster

Window459
2010-06-27, 03:00 PM
My players have decide they wanna try and sail across the ocean to explore the world, therefore my DM brain instantly said SEA MONSTER FIGHT so playgrounders give me an idea for a good sea monster to use something scary and big and can eat a ship if it wanted to.

Dornath
2010-06-27, 03:22 PM
Kraken?

If they're reasonably powered...

Advanced Kraken?

If they're super powered....

Awakened Druid Kraken with a Dire Shark Companion?

Kol Korran
2010-06-27, 03:24 PM
well, as some others would tell you- you had better supply some more information such as number of PCs, their levels, what effect you'd like the encounter to have and so on. that said, here are a few ideas from the top of my head (there could easely be more):

- Sauhagin! in large numbers, with some as spell casters, keeping climbing on the sides of the ship and trying to throw enemies over board to the water.
- Sea trolls (forgot their names, look under troll). don't heal on board, but when seriously hit they jump to the water and heal for a few rounds before coming back up. as to fire- do you really want to throw a fireball upon a wooden ship?
- Sea dragon: simply one of the water breathing ones. either black (who decided to broaden it's usuall habitat), green (the same), or perhaps even a bronze dragon. this could either be an encounter with a dragon protecting his territory, or hunting them after they hunted some sea creatures. or you could just forget the dragon is supposed to be good and give him whatever alignement you want. be aware that their repulsion breath might be quite deadly aboard a ship.
- but really, what comes to mind when talking about a sea monster is the one and only Kraken. terror from the deep, enough tentacles to occupy the party, and can easely crush ships.
- another ship crusher that just came to mind is a dragon turtle. your players better be ready to dive overboard! better yet- combine it with either the sauhagin or the sea trolls.

i hope this helped,
Kol Korran.

Edit: ninja'd about the kraken... (sigh) what could you expect.

Volthawk
2010-06-27, 03:40 PM
The sea trolls are called Scrags.

Also, pick something scary on land. Apply Amphibious (Stormwrack). Enjoy.

Dornath
2010-06-27, 03:41 PM
Sorry Kol. :smalltongue:

Speaking from experience, Scrags (Sea Trolls) mixed with and controlled by Sea Hags are deadly.

As well as Sauhagins. Use one of the multiarmed ones leading a group of the others.

Hmmm....

Aren't Aboleths aquatic? They're more in underwater caves and the like, but it could work.

I still like my Awakened Druid Kraken though....

Knaight
2010-06-27, 04:00 PM
What system? If its something where home brew is easy, a massive sea serpent is all sorts of fun. If its something where ship combat is actually in the rules, a really massive kraken is even more fun. That said, the size of the boat they are on is even more important. If its relatively small and low to the ground, its time to combine concepts. Giant turtles, used as mounts for heavily armored (in coral) charging humanoid creatures with spears, along with a turtle or two as an archer platform, and one really big one with a ballista on it could work beautifully.

Tanuki Tales
2010-06-27, 04:03 PM
Leviathans, Megalodons, Ocean Striders, Dragon Turtles, Storm Elementals, Water Elementals, Scyllaians, etc.

Window459
2010-06-27, 04:26 PM
There are 4 pcs and a npc cleric who there to heal and such, there all lvl 7

awa
2010-06-27, 04:29 PM
if your willing to home brew i find modified kraken like creatures where you treat the tentacles as separate creatures trying to grapple and drag pcs overboard is fun

PId6
2010-06-27, 04:32 PM
Giant Octopus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/octopusGiant.htm) seems perfect for their level. Grab things with tentacles, grapple a lot, and let them have fun sundering the tentacles one by one.

Mann
2010-06-27, 05:40 PM
Half-dragon Giant-constrictor-snakes served my purposes when I wanted to pit my players against sea serpents. 2 and a large body of water are very dangerous. I'd switched their swim and fly speeds to better fit the theme.

Mando Knight
2010-06-27, 05:43 PM
Awakened Druid Kraken with a Dire Shark Companion?

Kraken are magical beasts with 21 Int and knowledge of both Common and Aquan. They can't be affected by Awaken.

Dornath
2010-06-27, 10:49 PM
I was confusing them with the Giant Octopus.
My mistake.