PDA

View Full Version : Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore" (4e)

Drenn
2010-06-27, 04:15 PM
Okay, so I'm running a campaign right now with a trio of Raven Queen fanatics (an avenger, a paladin and an invoker). Right now they're headed to the Raven Queen's hidden temple, high in the mountains where it sits in internal winter (given that she's the goddess of death, fate and winter). I wanted to build some initiation built around Edgar Allen Poe's poem "The Raven". I'm planning on having random lines from the poem written on the walls at various points that either give clues, or tell what's about to happen. Its meant to be kind of creepy. Unfortunately, I'm a little bit at a loss as to what to do besides have kenkus attack them at one point.

Any thoughts or ideas?

ShaggyMarco
2010-06-27, 09:29 PM
Without the poem in front of me, here are ideas I have off the top of my head:

They could strive to restore the soul of a lost loved one, someone to take the place of "Lenore." Of course, they will find that the Raven Queen's grasp on it is too strong. On second thought, since they are on the side of the Raven Queen, perhaps they will encounter some heroic NPC trying to rescue the soul of their own long-lost Lenore. The PCs have to defeat the person trying to restore the soul of their beloved and possibly also destroy the lost soul of Lenore to banish it back to the Queen's Realm.

There should be a giant head statue, a "Bust of Pallas." Maybe use it like a skill challenge riddler or it can be some kind of big trap/construct. Maybe it could speak the poem/clues? Perhaps it could even be mounted on the Gates of the Castle of Eternal Winter.

Something should take place in a library...over many a tome of old and forgotten lore.

Sleep traps could make the PCs "nearly napping."

erikun
2010-06-27, 09:29 PM
Kenkus don't seem to make much sense, especially with the Shadar-Kai already located in the Shadowfell. Undead, shadowy, or cold-themed monsters would be more appropriate. I can think of Ghaele of Winter (Eladrin), Ice Archons, Shadar-Kai, Sorrowsworn, Specters, or Shadow Snakes as thematically appropriate, perhaps refluffed into a different creature type.

As for the Raven Queen's domain, I would think that the Fate aspect should get some coverage. Perhaps somethink like an onyx raven statue declaring, "Follow my path to the end or be lost here forevermore," with a short maze that loops upon itself if the players don't follow where the raven statues are facing in each room. (or allow the players to take the first one, which turns to face the correct exit in each room)

What you can do depends a lot on the level and the group. Some players will enjoy a sense of wasteland and desolation of wandering out into a snowstorm ill-prepared, relying on a magical trinket to direct them over a three day journey... while others will get bored if there are any more than a few passageways without combat. I would recommend writing down a few descriptions to get the atmosphere you want, but beyond that, I can't think of anything to recommend off-hand.

Drenn
2010-06-27, 11:08 PM
Without the poem in front of me, here are ideas I have off the top of my head:

They could strive to restore the soul of a lost loved one, someone to take the place of "Lenore." Of course, they will find that the Raven Queen's grasp on it is too strong. On second thought, since they are on the side of the Raven Queen, perhaps they will encounter some heroic NPC trying to rescue the soul of their own long-lost Lenore. The PCs have to defeat the person trying to restore the soul of their beloved and possibly also destroy the lost soul of Lenore to banish it back to the Queen's Realm.

There should be a giant head statue, a "Bust of Pallas." Maybe use it like a skill challenge riddler or it can be some kind of big trap/construct. Maybe it could speak the poem/clues? Perhaps it could even be mounted on the Gates of the Castle of Eternal Winter.

Something should take place in a library...over many a tome of old and forgotten lore.

Sleep traps could make the PCs "nearly napping."

*Excitement*

I really like the idea of them having to do something about poor lost Lenore. It could even be set up with something to the effect of a young man trying to defy fate by rescuing his lost love and reclaim her from the Raven Queen, and the party has to either help him, or else follow the path of the Raven Queen and send her wandering soul the rest of the way to the Raven Queen. It would all be a test, of course, but they don't need to know that. I can drug their dinner too, to make them sleepy. I was already planning to set it in an old library, so that works too.

Thanks so much! I'm getting really excited about this.

Drenn
2010-06-27, 11:20 PM
Kenkus don't seem to make much sense, especially with the Shadar-Kai already located in the Shadowfell. Undead, shadowy, or cold-themed monsters would be more appropriate. I can think of Ghaele of Winter (Eladrin), Ice Archons, Shadar-Kai, Sorrowsworn, Specters, or Shadow Snakes as thematically appropriate, perhaps refluffed into a different creature type.

As for the Raven Queen's domain, I would think that the Fate aspect should get some coverage. Perhaps somethink like an onyx raven statue declaring, "Follow my path to the end or be lost here forevermore," with a short maze that loops upon itself if the players don't follow where the raven statues are facing in each room. (or allow the players to take the first one, which turns to face the correct exit in each room)

What you can do depends a lot on the level and the group. Some players will enjoy a sense of wasteland and desolation of wandering out into a snowstorm ill-prepared, relying on a magical trinket to direct them over a three day journey... while others will get bored if there are any more than a few passageways without combat. I would recommend writing down a few descriptions to get the atmosphere you want, but beyond that, I can't think of anything to recommend off-hand.

Really like the idea of using the raven statues pointing different directions. Could even combine things by putting the raven statue on a Bust of Pallus. Every time they go the wrong way, it could lead to some kind of encounter, which gets progressively harder the more mistakes they make.

I was initially thinking of using kenkues because of their resemblance to Ravens, but after your comment I realize that attacking anything that looks even remotely raven might cause serious issues for the Raven Queen fanatics in the party. They're a level 5 group that complain they rarely get to do anything besides combat, but tend to get bored with puzzles, mysteries or social interactions (go figure) so this might be a nice balance. I'll look into some of those monster types you mentioned.

Thanks! I really appreciate it. =)

Swordgleam
2010-06-27, 11:26 PM
I'd go with the "knocking, knocking" thing to build suspense. Have some sound that follows them around, always changing direction. I don't know what it will turn out to be - that depends on your plot. But give the the feeling of something close by watching them - or maybe running from them - that they can't quite reach.

Drenn
2010-06-28, 01:35 AM
I'd go with the "knocking, knocking" thing to build suspense. Have some sound that follows them around, always changing direction. I don't know what it will turn out to be - that depends on your plot. But give the the feeling of something close by watching them - or maybe running from them - that they can't quite reach.

I was going to start things off with a good old "Tapping at my chamber door", but I like this idea. Could go ahead and expand on it by having Lenor's ghost be doing the tapping, sort of goading them on. The party's already conditioned to fear repetitive noises, after a clockwork dog-bomb exploded on them last session, so playing up the tapping noises more often then just at the beginning might be a great way to build tension. The statue of the raven can appear to be watching them as well. Maybe the direction of the tapping could even alternate between the windows, doors and the raven statue. We'll be playing at night, too, so that's a bonus. =).

Thank you! *grin*