PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Iaijutsu Focus actually better for gun duels?

Zovc
2010-06-27, 06:00 PM
I just came across Choco's Iaijutsu Katana Chucker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134276), and I was describing the build to a friend. I soon realized that Iaijutsu Focus actually applies to a gun duel quite well.

I don't really have anything more to say on the subject, but I figured I'd share that--maybe it would spark a discussion.

Morph Bark
2010-06-27, 06:02 PM
Iaijutsu Focus only applies to melee weapons, though you could change it up some to say that it also applies on small firearms in a western setting of sorts.

Mongoose87
2010-06-27, 06:03 PM
It would make the name "Quick Draw" very apt.

Zovc
2010-06-27, 06:05 PM
(Because guns hurt more when you fire them promptly after drawing them.)

PapaNachos
2010-06-27, 06:06 PM

Magic.

'nuff said

shadow_archmagi
2010-06-27, 06:07 PM

What, and hammers don't?

Morph Bark
2010-06-27, 06:08 PM
Magic.

Awesomeness.

Deff' said.

There is a difference between A Wizard Did It and He Took A Level In Badass.

Critical
2010-06-27, 06:18 PM
Umm, I'd assume the guys from the westerns are rogues(or fighters with sneak attack variant :smallbiggrin:) and are each having an initiative clash for the first round of the fight, to catch the other guy flat-footed. Makes sense to me.

Or they feint, or they use the hidden weapon skill trick. Problem solved? :smallbiggrin:

Morph Bark
2010-06-27, 06:21 PM
Umm, I'd assume the guys from the westerns are rogues(or fighters with sneak attack variant :smallbiggrin:) and are each having an initiative clash for the first round of the fight, to catch the other guy flat-footed. Makes sense to me.

Or they feint, or they use the hidden weapon skill trick. Problem solved? :smallbiggrin:

In a Iaijutsu duel, a Iaijutsu Focus check is used as a substitute for Initiative. If you don't want to alter any existing explicit rules (such as Iaijutsu Focus being melee-only), you could use Sleight of Hand instead for revolvers and the like.

Choco
2010-06-27, 06:21 PM
As The Magnificent Seven has shown, it is more badass to use a knife in a gun duel anyway :smalltongue:

That would be sweet though, applying Iaijutsu to guns, it would fit too. But without any modifications, your best bet would be just to load up on the various types of sneak attack and relevant feats that boost it.

Snake-Aes
2010-06-27, 06:37 PM
As The Magnificent Seven has shown, it is more badass to use a knife in a gun duel anyway :smalltongue:

That would be sweet though, applying Iaijutsu to guns, it would fit too. But without any modifications, your best bet would be just to load up on the various types of sneak attack and relevant feats that boost it.

Actually, the classic gun duel where the guy that draws first wins is really because of initiative. If you can't survive a gunshot, being shot first is a sure way to lose. Extra damage doesn't change anything.

senrath
2010-06-27, 06:53 PM
Well, yes. But to model that in D&D, you either have to have both participants at pretty low levels, boost how much damage guns do normally, or stack on lots of extra damage such as sneak attack.

dgnslyr
2010-06-27, 09:53 PM
(Because guns hurt more when you throw them promptly after drawing them.)

Fixed for you.

Hague
2010-06-27, 11:25 PM
Does part of the focus start "I do not aim with my hand. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father?"

Morph Bark
2010-06-28, 03:32 AM
Personally, when it would come down to it, I'd decide depending on the situation. If it is light ranged weaponry with just a trigger to pull, Iaijutsu Focus could work. If you have to load the weapon first (or draw an arrow), it'd fail.

Why would I do this? Because it makes more sense than quick-drawing a bullet and throwing it really hard.

sofawall
2010-06-28, 04:13 AM
Iaijutsu Focus only applies to melee weapons, though you could change it up some to say that it also applies on small firearms in a western setting of sorts.

Well, amusingly, you can draw a dagger and suddenly your bullets deal more damage.

2xMachina
2010-06-28, 04:30 AM
Because drawing a weapon makes you hit harder!

Greenish
2010-06-28, 05:12 PM
Umm, I'd assume the guys from the westerns are rogues(or fighters with sneak attack variant :smallbiggrin:) and are each having an initiative clash for the first round of the fight, to catch the other guy flat-footed.First, they have a duel of wills.

ArcanistSupreme
2010-06-28, 05:16 PM
Does part of the focus start "I do not aim with my hand. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father?"

Yeah, but if you do the whole mantra every time out-loud, you'd probably lose the initiative. And being dead goes a long a way toward making you forget the face of your father.

Greenish
2010-06-28, 05:19 PM
Yeah, but if you do the whole mantra every time out-loud, you'd probably lose the initiative.Talking is a free action that can be performed outside your turn.

My, you could even talk before rolling initiative.

ArcanistSupreme
2010-06-28, 05:58 PM
Yeah, but what happens when the referee says, "DRAW!" and you're only half-way done?

Greenish
2010-06-28, 06:02 PM
Yeah, but what happens when the referee says, "DRAW!" and you're only half-way done?It's not an Immediate Action, the referee has to wait for you to stop.

ArcanistSupreme
2010-06-28, 06:32 PM
So as long as I keep talking, the Balor can't attack. In fact, nobody else can do anything. That, sir, is one hilarious instance of RAW.

olelia
2010-06-28, 10:11 PM
Talking is a free action (http://goblins.keenspot.com/d/20050731.html)