PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/pf] Template Help

bartman
2010-06-27, 06:19 PM
Hey All

I am considering doing a Rogue/Swordsage for my upcoming PF/3.5 game (Pathfinder mechanics with 3.5 material available). I have looked at the Dark template, from ToM, and frankly I just don't see the appeal. I cannot see myself using HiPS too much, and while the vision and movement is nice, I can get those same benefits with magical items and traits. Can anyone recommend a good other template? I am likely going to go human, since I have a strong suspision whisper gnome will be banned (the DM had a bad experience with one of our players once(he tried to make yoda, voice and all), and has hated the race ever since). I do not want to go above a +1 LA, and I will be buying it off most likely. Something with a DEX bonus would be nice.

Thanks

Aeromyre
2010-06-27, 06:35 PM
Hey All

I am considering doing a Rogue/Swordsage for my upcoming PF/3.5 game (Pathfinder mechanics with 3.5 material available). I have looked at the Dark template, from ToM, and frankly I just don't see the appeal. I cannot see myself using HiPS too much, and while the vision and movement is nice, I can get those same benefits with magical items and traits. Can anyone recommend a good other template? I am likely going to go human, since I have a strong suspision whisper gnome will be banned (the DM had a bad experience with one of our players once(he tried to make yoda, voice and all), and has hated the race ever since). I do not want to go above a +1 LA, and I will be buying it off most likely. Something with a DEX bonus would be nice.

Thanks

Well it may help if you told us your alignment, but I'm lookin now

bartman
2010-06-27, 06:38 PM
I am leaning towards NE, but I am able to change it if i deem necessary. the character has not been created yet, and there are no restrictions from the DM

Aeromyre
2010-06-27, 07:01 PM
I am leaning towards NE, but I am able to change it if i deem necessary. the character has not been created yet, and there are no restrictions from the DM

Well I really couldn't find a good template :( Maybe you could go drow or half drow.
I like the Shifter race from Races of Eberron, it gives a dex and Cha bouns,
I wish I could help more...

Jyokage
2010-06-27, 07:43 PM
Have you thought of Catfolk from Races of the Wild? +4 dex, +2 cha, +1 NA, low light vision, 40 speed, +2 listen and move silent. All this for the low, low price of +1 LA. :-}

bartman
2010-06-28, 06:50 PM
While I have considered other races, my build is rather feat intensive, I need that bonus human feat to do what I want to do by the level we get, hence, the thought of a template. (this is moot if i lose the bonus feat when taking the template)

The-Mage-King
2010-06-28, 07:07 PM
While I have considered other races, my build is rather feat intensive, I need that bonus human feat to do what I want to do by the level we get, hence, the thought of a template. (this is moot if i lose the bonus feat when taking the template)

What level? If it's three or higher, ask if you can use the LA buy off rules (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/UA:Reducing_Level_Adjustments), and take the Dark template that you considered. Sure, you'll be down a bit of XP, but you get the abilities of the Dark template.

gallagher
2010-06-28, 10:43 PM
it doesnt make you any sneakier or help you much with your sneak attacks, which i assume is why you are going with rogue levels instead of all swordsage, but consider half minotaur. wisdom bonus, strength and con bonus, a couple of skill bonuses, darkvision, a gore attack, and will put you at large sized, giving you more damage.

the extra damage will help especially if you plan on going tiger claw.

PId6
2010-06-28, 11:39 PM
Rather than a template, you should consider the Marrulurk race from Sandstorm. It has 3 RHD and LA +1, but it's well worth the cost for a rogue. It gets ridiculous stat adjustments, +2d6 Sneak Attack, two bonus feats (Point Blank Shot and Rapid Shot), and a lot of other nice things. Well worth it for rogue characters.

TroubleBrewing
2010-06-28, 11:42 PM
Lolth-touched (MMIV) gives +6 str, +6 con, +4 bonus on hide/move silently, and all you sacrifice is +1 LA and your alignment has to be CE.

dragonfan6490
2010-06-29, 12:43 PM
Strongheart Halfling gives a bonus feat iirc. I don't recall the specifics of it though.

Keld Denar
2010-06-29, 12:50 PM
SH Halfling is in the FRCS and gives up the +1 luck bonus to all saves for a bonus feat. Thats the particulars. Everything else is straight halfling straight outa the PHB.