PDA

View Full Version : Xiaolin Showdown - Let's make Shen-Gong-Wu

Hyooz
2010-06-27, 07:11 PM
So I had an idea the other day that a Xiaolin Showdown campaign might be really awesome. Super low magic, super low wealth, but an abundance of the hilarious magic items that are Shen Gong Wu.

There's potential for some setting-specific classes here too, but methinks the Shen-Gong-Wu deserve initial focus.

So who's game? Lists of Shen-Gong-Wu in the spoiler below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Shen_Gong_Wu_revealed_in_Season_One
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Shen_Gong_Wu_revealed_in_Season_Two
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Shen_Gong_Wu_revealed_in_Season_Three

mrcarter11
2010-06-28, 01:49 AM
I can try to help with this.. it sounds fun

Admiral Squish
2010-06-28, 01:51 AM
Hmm, I could be interested. I'm a little busy with my other projects, but I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this and chip in when I can.

Jallorn
2010-06-28, 01:52 AM
Yeah, sure, I'll help.

The Mentalist
2010-06-28, 08:43 AM
I'll throw a few together. Could be very fun to do them as artifacts for a normal game too.

(I actually may make low middle and high power versions, because some of them are just too cool to restrict to one level of play.)

Edit: First Season Toys (Other than Sun Chi Lantern, I'm lost on that on, I never saw what it did.) Rough drafts as to powers. It's been a while since I've seen the show.

Mantis Flip Coin
+100 to Jump checks removes distance limits for jumps

Two Ton Tunic
+20 armor bonus to AC
DR 10/-
Cannot move

Eye of Dashi
HDd6 Lightning Bolt at will

Third Arm Sash
Fuctions as an additional limb of the wielder with a 15' reach
+10 to grapple checks

Fist of Tebigong
+20 to strength for unarmed strikes
Earthquake as a full round action
+5 Shield Bonus to AC when fighting defensively

Jet Bootsu
False Gravity as the spell constantly

Monkey Staff
Gain the Were-monkey template (hybrid form)

Tangle Web Comb
Grapples a target within line of sight with a +20 Bonus
Requires concentration check DC 15

Golden Tiger Claws
Greater Teleport at will

Changing Chopsticks
Reduce user to Fine size

Sword of the Storm
Creates Hurricane force gust of wind at will

Shroud of Shadows
Greater Invisibilty at will

Helmet of Jong
Wearer can't be flanked

Ring of the Nine Dragons
Divides creature into multiples -2 Int Wis Cha and -5 to all skills per division

Falcon's Eye
Gives True Seeing, Dark Vision 300ft, and functions as a ring of X-ray vision +50 to Spot Checks

Serpent's Tail
User becomes Ethereal, can be disarmed of Tail even when ethereal

Orb of Tornami
Control Water at will
Create Water CL 100(0)?

Star Hanabi
Lights a 1000ft radius
Shoots a HDd6 Fireball

Lotus Twister
Increases reach by 20ft

Longi Kite
Gives user Fly speed 250 (Clumsy)

Tongue of Saiping
Speak with Animals at will

Heart of Jong
Animate Objects + Awaken Construct at will

Reversing Mirror
Reflects all attacks and spells back on originator

Season two and three have more complex powers, I'd have to see the show again but I can work with some of them, will be back with more later.

Admiral Squish
2010-06-28, 10:09 AM
What kind of power level are we going for here? those were kinda all over the place.

The Mentalist
2010-06-28, 10:12 AM
That was just my first thoughts on the things, as they were described in the wiki article.

I'll tone some down and bring others up a little later.

Prime32
2010-06-28, 10:42 AM
Are the Eye of Dashi and Star of Hanabi really that powerful? What would you call Kimiko's "Eye of Dashi: Fire" blast then?

You listed a power for the Orb of Tornami which is Omi's advanced Water-element power with it.

There's a feat in Savage Species which lets you recreate "punch the ground to create a shockwave".

Two Ton Tunic needs some kind of "immovability" power.

Sword of the Storm doesn't control the weather or shoot lightning, it creates wind blasts. When combined with the Eye of Dashi it turns the user ethereal (incorporeal? gaseous? I dunno, he floats there with attacks passing through him), and the Eye of Dashi can control the weather with Raymundo's (sp?) advanced Wind-element power.

[hr]

Sapphire Dragon is some kind of cursed figurine of wondrous power with petrifying breath and vulnerability to fire.

The Mentalist
2010-06-28, 10:46 AM
THANK YOU! That was exactly what I was looking for. I'll revise and get back to you.

How about HDd6 or HDx2d6 for damage on the blasty ones?

I'll look for that feat and edit the fist, can I get an estimate on how big the radius of that ground punch attack is?

Prime32
2010-06-28, 10:54 AM
I'll look for that feat and edit the fist, can I get an estimate on how big the radius of that ground punch attack is?http://www.realmshelps.org/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Stamp

Or you could use the stomp psionic power. Combine boots of stomping with at-will hammer maybe?

EDIT: Also, the Golden Tiger Claws have been used to create portals from one side of the world to another - a bit stronger than dimension door.

Some of the weapon Shen Gon Wu need properties as weapons as well (making the Sword of the Storm a +1 scimitar or something).

Jallorn
2010-06-28, 11:20 AM
I'd probably give Golden Tiger Claws a gate ability within a single plane of existence and you can't call anything through it, only use it as a portal.

Hyooz
2010-06-28, 11:45 AM
Yeah some of the Shen-Gong-Wu were really overpowered compared to others. There's only so much you can do about that, though. Mantis Flip Coin versus... well, anything else, is going to be really hard to balance properly.

I've got a couple in the works. I'm probably going to ignore the ones that are more MacGuffins than anything (Heart of Jong and the like)

Prime32
2010-06-28, 12:40 PM
Yeah some of the Shen-Gong-Wu were really overpowered compared to others. There's only so much you can do about that, though. Mantis Flip Coin versus... well, anything else, is going to be really hard to balance properly.Like the Emperor Scorpion. Good god, the Emperor Scorpion.

Admiral Squish
2010-06-28, 12:58 PM
...Isn't emperor scorpion the one that gets you total control over the shen-gong-wu golem?

Jallorn
2010-06-28, 12:59 PM
...Isn't emperor scorpion the one that gets you total control over the shen-gong-wu golem?

No, the Emperor Scorpion is the one that gives you complete control over all Shen Gong Wu including Mala Mala Jong (not that Wu Ya had any trouble the first time.)

Deathdarken
2010-06-28, 01:08 PM
interesting idea, mmm seems interesting

Hyooz
2010-06-28, 01:46 PM
All in all, I think my goal is going to be more accurately representing the Shen Gong Wu themselves, then worrying about balance later, in the distribution aspect.

As far as modeling the characters themselves, I actually started thinking a d20 generic classes system would work rather well.

Deathdarken
2010-06-28, 03:19 PM
All in all, I think my goal is going to be more accurately representing the Shen Gong Wu themselves, then worrying about balance later, in the distribution aspect.

As far as modeling the characters themselves, I actually started thinking a d20 generic classes system would work rather well.

ballance is not what this needs seldome are stuff truly ballanced in the world

DracoDei
2010-06-28, 08:36 PM
I don't think that any of them could move AT ALL when the Two Ton Tunic was activated... it was just that it could be turned on and off so quickly that they could work it smoothly into their moves... an especially favorite trick as I recall was to jump up, and then activate it to attempt to crush the opponent under the wearer.

The Mentalist
2010-06-28, 08:46 PM
Alright. I'll edit to reflect that. I only saw a few episodes so I'm relying on people who know the show better than I do.

Corporate M
2010-06-29, 12:42 AM
So I had an idea the other day that a Xiaolin Showdown campaign might be really awesome. Super low magic, super low wealth, but an abundance of the hilarious magic items that are Shen Gong Wu.
Yes...Yes...YES!!! If you make this a game I want in. I don't mine which side, (knowing me, probably Heylin)

Seems more d20 modern with many many magic items at disposale. Here's just a few.

Mantis Flip Coin:
Effect: Your gain a +10 bonus on jump checks, and when making a jump check, roll twice, and take either result you so choose. The duration is instant.

Fist of Tebigong:
Effect: Provides you with a +8 strength bonus, a +2 shield bonus to AC, and a slam attack. (Damage: 1d8 Critical: 19-20 Multiplyer: x3) The duration is equal to one round per hit die of the user, or untill discharged.

Jetbootsu:
Effect: As the spell fly. The duration is permanent unless discharged.

Two-Ton Tunic:
Effect: When activated, it is considered the amount of weight that would trigger your maximum carrying capacity. It grants +10 armor bonus to AC, and damage reduction 20. The duration of the two ton tunic is one minute or untill discharged.

Ring of Nine Dragons:
Effect: You can create copies of yourself up to eight. (For a total of nine of you) These copies have the same amount of hit die, abilities, and stats as you. But all of you take a -1 penalty to intelligence, wisdom, and charisma per copy. The duration of the ring is equal to one hour per copy or untill discharged.

There should be a use magic device check needed to use the shen gong wu properly. Failure might not mean it doesn't work, but doesn't work particularly well or even backfires if it does.

Note: As an avid fan of these series, I know all shen gong wu were not created equally and some can get away with being weaker then others or even making others obselete. The point of the shen gong wu was to create spiritual balance and the items represent that. I wouldn't even know where to begin on ying yang yo yo. Which would essentially make you two fully functional characters, but of stupid alignment. (Except for Jack Spicer, who's evil side actually became MORE competent after the transition, because he was evil stupid to begin with)

mrcarter11
2010-06-29, 01:31 AM
I was an avid fan as well.. Which is why I would love to work on this.. Just wondering if we are going to try and work the elements in.. And what about combo's like the green monkey?

The Mentalist
2010-06-29, 02:29 AM
I was an avid fan as well.. Which is why I would love to work on this.. Just wondering if we are going to try and work the elements in.. And what about combo's like the green monkey?

I was actually working on some of the combos. Again, I will be asking a lot of questions as to scales of things in the shows and for people to explain the more esoteric ones. (I would love for someone to explain what the Sun Chi Lantern did so I could finish my rough draft of season one)

Corporate M
2010-06-29, 02:43 AM
It was only used once, so that's probably why you don't know what it does. It's a bit like a steal spell from spell thief and light spell combined.

Sun Chi Lantern:
Effect: Creates an illumination of light that spreads 30ft wide and 30ft high. Can even penetrate magical darkness. You can also launch a beam of light from it with a range of 60ft. This light missle deals 2d8 damage, (reflex save halves) and if the opponent fails their reflex save, you may steal one spell-like or supernatural ability they can cast and for the remainder of the duration you can cast it as though you were them, but they can't cast it. (The duration is one round per hit die)

mrcarter11
2010-06-29, 02:49 AM
green monkey combo was... I think the tongue and monkey staff...

The Mentalist
2010-06-29, 02:50 AM
Yes I got that from the Wiki, how many monkeys were there (rough estimate) were they just normal green monkeys or were they special in some way?

Prime32
2010-06-29, 03:54 AM
Other combos:

Eye of Dashi (shoot lightning) + Sword of the Storm (control wind) = Turn incorporeal and fly
Sapphire Dragon (statue turns into a monster) + Shadow of Fear (project images of nightmares) + Moby Morpher (change shape) = Monster powered by fear
Helmet of Jong + Two-Ton Tunic + Jet Bootsu + Fist of Tebi-Gong + Third-Arm Sash + Eye of Dashi + Shroud of Shadows + Heart of Jong = Create the super-powerful golem, Mala Mala Jong
Fountain of Wui (Fills head with all the knowledge of the world, but it is too much for anyone's mind to take) + Eagle Scope (focus on distant objects) = Learn any fact

Then there was some weird thing with the Zing-zong Bone, Ring of Nine Dragons and a few others which ended with Omi and Hannibal Bean turning into stormclouds and fighting each other with lightning.

Then there was the Reversing Mirror:
Any attack Shen Gon Qu = Reflect attack
Serpent's Tail (turn ethereal) = Bring ghost back to life
Changing Chopsticks (shrink to size of a grain of rice) = Grow to enormous size
Crystal Glasses (see future) = See false future
Eagle Scope (focus on something) = Focus on the opposite

And the extra powers characters could use related to their elements.
Orb of Tornami (freezes things)
- Orb of Tornami, Water Ice (freezes things)
- Orb of Tornami, Steam (shoots steam)
Fist of Tebi-gong (powerful gauntlet)
- Fist of Tebi-gong, Earth (more powerful version)
Eye of Dashi (shoots lightning)
- Eye of Dashi, Fire (shoots an enormous stream of plasma)
- Eye of Dashi, Wind (creates a storm)
Third-Arm Sash (sash can be used as a third arm)
- Third-Arm Sash, Earth (sash turns into stone to punch things with great force)
Star of Hanabi (shoots fire)
- Star of Hanabi, Fire (can be thrown as a flaming boomerang)

mrcarter11
2010-06-29, 03:59 AM
I think you mean the 4 mala's.. Which I personally thought was kinda dumb..

Prime32
2010-06-29, 04:00 AM
I think you mean the 4 mala'sWho does? :smallconfused:

mrcarter11
2010-06-29, 04:03 AM
I read the post as talking bout the different combo's, one of the listed was Mala Mala.. Who combined with the ring to created the 4...

Prime32
2010-06-29, 07:01 AM
I read the post as talking bout the different combo's, one of the listed was Mala Mala.. Who combined with the ring to created the 4...He was composed of many more Wu at the time, the Ring of Nine Dragons being only one. IIRC the copies used a different item for the head, and had the Star of Hanabi on their chests instead of the Eye of Dashi.

One thing that annoyed me about the series - the Shen Gon Wu are introduced as items that were used by Grandmaster whatshisname in the epic battle to defeat Wuya... and when we finally see the battle it's small scale, three on one, and no Shen Gon Wu are used. It's actually less epic than the monks' normal fights, let alone the stuff the resurrected Wuya got up to.