PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of DM PC's...

WarKitty
2010-06-27, 07:14 PM
I need a cool ability. The party has just acquired an awakened cat. Yes, this is the DM PC. My players:

2 Fighter/barbarians
1 Cleric/Bard
1 Ranger
1 Rogue/Werewolf
1 Sorcerer

All are level 9, all except sorcerer are gestalted or otherwise adjusted up to match. I wouldn't call them super-optimized, but they're not horrible. Mostly RP group, not exactly a combat-intensive game. (Seriously, they spent last session shopping. For candy and dresses.)

So...I could use one or two cool and mildly useful abilities for kitty. Minor magic is ok (backstory is a familiar whose wizard master died). The main purpose is as a dispenser of occasional advice and more frequent snark.

CubeB
2010-06-27, 07:15 PM
I need a cool ability. The party has just acquired an awakened cat. Yes, this is the DM PC. My players:

2 Fighter/barbarians
1 Cleric/Bard
1 Ranger
1 Rogue/Werewolf
1 Sorcerer

All are level 9, all except sorcerer are gestalted or otherwise adjusted up to match. I wouldn't call them super-optimized, but they're not horrible. Mostly RP group, not exactly a combat-intensive game. (Seriously, they spent last session shopping. For candy and dresses.)

So...I could use one or two cool and mildly useful abilities for kitty. Minor magic is ok (backstory is a familiar whose wizard master died). The main purpose is as a dispenser of occasional advice and more frequent snark.

Prestidigitation.

And a Collar of Perpetual Attendance.

Lord Loss
2010-06-27, 07:19 PM
levels in Bhu's Cat Burglar class, made for cats. I'll see if i can find it...

Cat Burglars originated in an ancient city with a group of Wizard students who had decent power but little patience. Having flunked out of school, they had turned to
theft to support themselves. While discussing how best to use their powers for gain
while drunk one night, one came up with the idea of changing form into a small cat
and appearing before the children of the richer households until one of them adopted
him. He would then scout the place for the group, and they could have advance information where the valuables were and how best to get to them. Their plan was
wildly successful and they became the leaders of a fairly decent Guild until
their secret got out.

Eventually the Cat Burglars art spread to other cities after the original Guild was
disbanded. Many have become adventurers, scouts, and people of a thiefly
persuasion. There are now schools (legitimate or otherwise) where the art can be
learned at an early age (i.e. it was originally a Prestige Class but has now become a
full Class after many decades).

MAKING A CAT BURGLAR
You are best at being a party scout. Small, sneaky, and difficult to see you blend in every where. Concentrate on Feats that take advantage of your high Dex and small Size class. Cat Burglars are best at not being seen and snitching information (among other things).
Abilities: Dexterity and Charisma are of paramount importance to the
Cat Burglar. Much of their skills and abilities key off these
two stats. A decent Constitution and Wisdom wouldn’t hurt
either.
Races: Humans and Halflings by far make up the bulk of Cat Burglars.
Some Gnomes and Elves practice the art as well but it isn’t at all common
among them. Dwarf and Half Orc Cat Burglars are virtually unknown.
Alignment: Cat Burglars may not be Lawful. Most tends towards Chaos
and Neutrality.
Starting Gold: Same as Rogue.
Starting Age: Same as Rogue.

Class Skills
The Cat Burglars class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int),
Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Escape Artist (Dex),
Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Local, Nobility and Royalty) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha),
Profession (Int), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim
(Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Magic Device (Cha)
Skills Points at 1st Level : (8+ int)x4
Skills Points at Each Additional Level : 8+ int

Hit Dice: d6

Code:
BAB Fort Ref Will Abilities
1. +0 +0 +2 +0 Trapfinding, Purr, Kitty Form (Small), +1d6 Sneak Attack
2. +1 +0 +3 +0 Evasion
3. +2 +1 +3 +1 Kitty Form (Tiny)
4. +3 +1 +4 +1 Uncanny Dodge
5. +3 +1 +4 +1 Kitty Form (Diminutive)
6. +4 +2 +5 +2 +2d6 Sneak Attack
7. +5 +2 +5 +2 Kitty Form (SR vs Alignment/Shapechanger Detection)
8. +6 +2 +6 +2 Improved Uncanny Dodge
9. +6 +3 +6 +3 Kitty Form (Luck Bonus to AC)
10. +7 +3 +7 +3 +3d6 Sneak Attack
11. +8 +3 +7 +3 Kitty Form (Improved Evasion)
12. +9 +4 +8 +4 Bonus Feat
13. +9 +4 +8 +4 Kitty Form (Defensive Roll), Kitty Feat
14. +10 +4 +9 +4 +4d6 Sneak Attack
15. +11 +5 +9 +5 Kitty Form (Swift Paws)
16. +12 +5 +10 +5 Bonus Feat
17. +12 +5 +10 +5 Kitty Form (SR vs Charms/Compulsions)
18. +13 +6 +11 +6 +5d6 Sneak Attack
19. +14 +6 +11 +6 Kitty Form (SR vs Polymorph)
20. +15 +6 +12 +6 True Kitty, Bonus Feat
Weapon Proficiencies: Cat Burglars are proficient with all Simple Weapons.
plus the Sap and the Garotte. They are proficient with Light Armor but not with
Shields.

Trapfinding: This is identical to the Rogue ability on page 50 of the PHB.

Purr: Over time you have been taught a secret language you can only use in Kitty form. It is composed of the sounds cats naturally make, and their body language. Using it two Cat Burglars can have a conversation in front of people without their knowledge. Other Cat Burglars can understand you regardless of form, so you can even point out a target by, say, rubbing against him in a certain manner while meowing in a specific tone. You also may communicate with other cats as though you had permanent use of the spell Speak With Animals (cats only) at will. Using Purr to speak to cats is a Supernatural Ability.

Kitty Form (Su): At will as a standard action you may transform into a cat (or from a cat back to your normal form). At first level you can assume the form of a Small cat. This is one of the larger breeds of housecat such as the Maine ****, or one of the very small feral cats such as the Fisher Cat. In Kitty Form you gain Low Light Vision, Scent, a Primary Claw attack doing 1d3 plus Strength Bonus, and a Secondary Bite attack doing 1d4 plus half Strength Bonus. If you make a Full Attack you get 2 Claw attacks and a Bite. You also get a +4 Circumstance Bonus on Climb, Hide, and Move Silently checks; and a +8 Circumstance Bonus on Balance and Jump checks. In areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth the Hide bonus raises to a +8. Your stats in this form are +4 Dex, -4 Str . When transforming all clothes and equipment that aren’t enchanted to remain (see below) fall off of you harmlessly and form a pile at your feet. While in Kitty Form you may use your Dexterity or your Strength bonus for Climb Checks, whichever is greater. Since you do not have hands, certain skill checks (Craft, Disable Device, Disguise, Forgery, Open Lock, and Use Rope) will be all but impossible. You can only speak as a cat in Kitty Form. You may not cast spells with Verbal or Somatic components unless you have a Feat allowing you to do so. If you are killed or knocked unconscious in Kitty Form you revert to humanoid form next round.

At third level you can assume the form of a Tiny Cat (which covers most breeds of housecats). Your claws only do 1d2 and your bite 1d3. Stats are +6 Dex, -6 Str. Minimum Strength is 3.

At fifth level you may assume the form of a Diminutive Cat (i.e. kittens). Your claws only do 1 point and your bite 1d2. Stats are +8 Dex, -8 Str. Minimum Strength is 2.

At 7th level you gain Spell Resistance equal to 10 plus half your character level plus your Charisma bonus. This spell resistance only applies to spells attempting to detect your alignment or whether you are a shapechanger. If the spell can’t get through your spell resistance you show up as Neutral. This only works while you are in Kitty Form.

At 9th level gain a Luck Bonus to your Armor Class equal to your Charisma modifier while in Kitty Form.

At 11th level you get Improved Evasion (see PHB page 51), while in Kitty Form.

At 13th level you get Defensive Roll (see PHB page 51), while in Kitty Form.

At 15th level you gain Swift Paws. If your opponent is flat footed and you are in Kitty Form you may reroll a failed attack roll a number of times per day equal to your Charisma modifier. You must accept the results of the second roll.

At 17th level your Spell Resistance extends to Charms and Compulsions.

At 19th level your Spell Resistance extends to Polymorph and similar spells that would involunarily change your form.

Sneak Attack(Ex): See PHB, page 50.

Evasion (Ex): See PHB, page 50.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): See PHB, page 50.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): See PHB, page 50.

Bonus Feat: At 12th, 16th, and 20th level the Cat Burglar gains a Bonus Feat.

True Kitty: At 20th level you become immune to any spell you formerly had Spell Resistance to, and gain the Shapechanger subtype. You are considered an animal for purposes of spells that would enhance animals in a positive way temporarily (such as Animal Growth).

valadil
2010-06-27, 07:34 PM

What else do you know about the wizard master? I'm going to assume he's weird and quirky, and gave the cat powers for his own amusement. I vote floating disc and ray of frost.

WarKitty
2010-06-27, 07:52 PM
What else do you know about the wizard master? I'm going to assume he's weird and quirky, and gave the cat powers for his own amusement. I vote floating disc and ray of frost.

Basically, the wizard was a high society spellcaster, divination focus. Mainly casting spells for wealthy families, e.g. investment advice. Level 10 when he died on an ill-advised dungeon crawl (the one the party is about to embark on). Something of a pompous buffoon, some of which has rubbed off on the cat. Black Persian cat, long hair, very vain.

BRC
2010-06-27, 08:03 PM
The Cat is secretly a Herald of Snuggles.

Lhurgyof
2010-06-27, 08:32 PM
Hmmm, some cool abilities for the cat?
Perhaps the ability to see through supernatural darkness?
Or perhaps something to allow it to manipulate people? Like charm person?
Some sort of illusion magic would be cool.
But since his master was a diviner, perhaps omen of peril?

mucat
2010-06-27, 09:25 PM
Really does bring bad luck by crossing peoples' paths?

Ranos
2010-06-27, 09:26 PM
Infinite cheeseburgers. He can always has them.

blueblade
2010-06-27, 09:36 PM
Spiderclimb and can look through walls. and ceilings.

Ajadea
2010-06-27, 09:45 PM
Read magic, tongues, prestidigitation. What school did the wizard have as his barred school?

WarKitty
2010-06-28, 03:01 PM
Read magic, tongues, prestidigitation. What school did the wizard have as his barred school?

Necromancy. I was sort of viewing it as the familiar peeked at the wizard's books while he wasn't looking. Probably some sort of weird accident bumped up the familiar's intellect somehow, I haven't quite decided how to do this.

AtwasAwamps
2010-06-28, 03:04 PM
(Seriously, they spent last session shopping. For candy and dresses.)

I demand to be allowed into your party.

I would be the prettiest candy princess orc barbarian.

Human Paragon 3
2010-06-28, 03:28 PM
Silenced Dimension Door at will, but only when he's not being observed.

Limited foresight that automatically alerts him as to when he's being observed by a person or magical sensor.

So he can creepily appear wherever he wants... "Hey, wasn't that cat over there a second ago?" You can use the knowledge of being observed as a plot hook later. "We're being watched by... something."

The New Bruceski
2010-06-28, 03:42 PM
Summon a sunbeam wherever he wants to nap, even in a dungeon. Spider Climb so he can always be above people.

Teleportation seems to be an innate feline ability, as well as Hide in Plain Sight.

WarKitty
2010-06-28, 04:33 PM

Limited foresight that automatically alerts him as to when he's being observed by a person or magical sensor.

So he can creepily appear wherever he wants... "Hey, wasn't that cat over there a second ago?" You can use the knowledge of being observed as a plot hook later. "We're being watched by... something."

Haha. I actually just figured it out. This module already has a hypercube dungeon and klein golems. The party has acquired Shcroedinger's cat!

altruist
2010-06-28, 05:27 PM
Feather Fall. And land on his feet.

Drogorn
2010-06-28, 05:43 PM

This and when the cat dies he comes back to life when he isn't being observed. Only works nine times.

Ubercaledor
2010-06-28, 09:25 PM
Haha. I actually just figured it out. This module already has a hypercube dungeon and klein golems. The party has acquired Schroedinger's cat!

THIS!!

That is totally awesome. And you can call the old Wizard Schroedinger, or some sort of derivative form, hm, Odin would be a good contraction to open a whole lot more pun-possibilities... a whole pantheon full.

also, [obligate Cheshire cat reference]