View Full Version : Pathfinder Favored Soul

Thefurmonger
2010-06-27, 08:14 PM
Hey Guys.

Yes I know Favored souls suck.

Yes I know there are WAY better things to do in a Pathfinder game

Thats why I am NOT doing it.

However another guy in my group wants to

Does anyone know where I can find a good Pathfinder conversion?

It seems that they are sooooo bad that nobody bothered.

Zovc
2010-06-27, 08:18 PM
I'd probably start fixing the class by keying casting completely off of Wisdom or Charisma, not this half-and-half nonsense they decided to roll with. After that, giving them domain powers and turn undead would probably make them almost comparable to a cleric.

Gaining levels in the class could probably grant either bonus feats or maybe more domains without getting too broken.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-06-27, 08:21 PM
Favored Soul is not Open Game Content, so it belongs to WotC. As such, you won’t be able to find an official conversion. You really need to look in the Homebrew Forum if you want someone else to do the conversion for you.

As it stands, though, the Favored Soul really doesn’t have any new rules, so it’s pretty easy to do a quick and dirty conversion. Just convert the class skill list to work with the Pathfinder skill list, check that the hit die and BAB now match according to Pathfinder practices, then check all its class features match what Pathfinder tends to do with similar features. The most important part, I think would be making the orisons at-will. Also, when the favored soul gets wings, make sure the character applies the appropriate bonus to his or her Fly skill based on maneuverability.

Thefurmonger
2010-06-27, 08:22 PM
And this is the issue.

Those are all great ideas to make a better favored soul.

I agree 100%

However in this case he is just looking for a 3.5-Pathfinder Conversion of it.

It was garbage in 3.5, im sure it will be garbage in Pathfinder.

HunterOfJello
2010-06-27, 08:22 PM
Take a Cleric

convert it to Spontaneous Casting via Unearthed Arcana

add bonus domains every few levels in the same method of that one popular favored soul build on the forum

Mongoose87
2010-06-27, 08:26 PM
Try The Oracle (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/advanced-player-s-guide-playtest/oracle---final-playtest)out.

Zovc
2010-06-27, 08:32 PM
Try The Oracle (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/advanced-player-s-guide-playtest/oracle---final-playtest)out.

Indeed, the Oracle appears to be Pathfinder's version of the Favored Soul.

Bosh
2010-06-27, 09:05 PM
Favored soul was a perfectly good class, it as just that in 3.5ed/Pathfinder clerics are so ridiculously overpowered that it makes favored souls look weak by comparison. Compared to most classes, the favored soul is fine and as a full caster it's above-par power-wise.

taltamir
2010-06-27, 09:05 PM
it should be fairly easy to make a spontanous cleric. just take a cleric, key their stuff off of cha, and change their spells from prepared to spont.

AFAIK flavored souls make no sense in terms of fluff...
clerics supposed gain their powers one of three ways:
1. A god bestows it upon them
2. An agent of a god (aka, angel, demon), bestows it upon them.
3. Other clerics bestows it upon them.

Once so vested the power is theirs, their god may seal their powers, but not take them away. If the powers are sealed they need to have an atonement spell cast on them by another cleric (with permission from their god)... or they may convert to another god and have one of his cleric unseal their powers with an atonment spell.
Or they may become ur priests and STEAL divine magic from the gods against the god's will.

Oh, and they don't have to worship a god anyways, they can worship causes, ideas, etc.

anyways, a favored soul, by fluff, gets his powers granted to him by a god, he is "favored" of that god... this is "type 1 cleric"... what makes a cleric who was granted his powers directly by a god a cleric, and a flavored soul who was granted his powers directly by a god a flavored soul?
Answer: The cleric is merely more powerful in every way shape and form.

it gets worse because in game characters are not aware of their class... so jonathan and sam were both personally visited by palor the burning hate himself and granted divine power to carry out his will... both join his church and call themselves "priests of palor".
Yet for some reason jonathan is significantly better at it than sam... jonathan is a cleric, while sam is a flavored soul.