PDA

View Full Version : Any Arkham Horror fans in the playground?

fknm
2010-06-27, 10:52 PM
So, are there any fans of the board game Arkham Horror around here?

My friends and I play it quite frequently (nowadays, roughly weekly; back when we were in college and lived within walking distance of each other, we played it nearly daily). I just got home from a game (w/Dunwich Horror expansion, our own custom "Sky" expansion, and our heavily house-ruled version of the Kingsport expansion); we lost vs. Shub Niggurath (rare; we usually beat Shubby easily). We had no problems killing the tougher monsters (I was Darrel Simmons with Enchanted Blade + Gladius of Carcosa + Grapple skill, and one of my friends was playing a character with a combination only slightly less insane), but we wound up getting pinned in the red district by a bunch of monster surges that forced us to waste a bunch of turns fighting (not much sneak in the group, and a -1 sneak environment out for much of the game) combined with the rumor that forces everyone to get innoculated at St. Mary's Hospital or drop to 1/1. We still would have won in final combat easily had the group been willing to take my suggestion of saving trophies to beat Shubby down (again, two utterly ridiculous fighters that could last 7 or so rounds...), but given that my group feels that winning via combat is lame, they instead decided to take their chances turning trophies into clue tokens (via science building)... and then losing when gate #7 opened.

So, that was my experience tonight. Anyone else have similar game reports to share? Interesting house rules? Interesting content created with Strange Eons (http://cgjennings.ca/eons/index.html)? My group is particularly big on custom content created using Strange Eons- we've got tons of custom Ancient Ones, Investigators, Heralds, and Guardians (almost all completely anachronistic and not Lovecraftian- designed around mechanics more than theme), and even a custom expansion (the Sky expansion mentioned earlier).

Gorgondantess
2010-06-27, 10:57 PM
A weedy doctor killing a star spawn, a hound of tindalos, and then a shoggoth with a shotgun and an "enchanted sword" makes me sad.:smallfrown:

It's an alright game, but it's pretty cheesy, and things happen in it that just shouldn't happen in Call of Cthulhu.

fknm
2010-06-27, 11:05 PM
I'd be interested in knowing how you took down a Shoggoth with Vincent Lee with a Shotgun and Enchanted Blade, given that a Shoggoth is Physical Resistant, and Vincent Lee is a crappy fighter.

3 Toughness, with 6 dice? Unlikely, to say the least.

I'm not claiming that there isn't Lovecraftian Blasphemy a-plenty in Arkham Horror, but that seems... improbable.

Naia
2010-07-02, 08:54 AM
I love it and play it maybe every other month with a couple of friends. Yesterday we marvelled over how the only one in that nights game to use magic (and doing so heavily) was the scientist. :smallsmile:

I like that for once, players have to work together and that we get really tense and caught up in the game. The first time we ever beat the game there was spontaneous dancing and jumping and shouting... :smallbiggrin: