PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Rage and Tumble

AdamSmasher
2010-06-28, 12:34 AM
I'm playing a fantastically unoptimized character, but I'm looking to overcome his main flaw.

It's a multiclass barbarian/scout who bounces back and forth through a battlefield pouncing things with a pair of axes. The problem, of course, is that leaving melee combat to pounce something else opens me up for AoOs that I can't tumble through because of the rage-dex restrictions.

Is there any way to not take these AoOs?

gorfnab
2010-06-28, 12:54 AM
The feat Mobility will get you +4 AC against AoO while moving through threatened areas. You can buy Mobility as an armor enhancement in the MIC.

PId6
2010-06-28, 12:56 AM
Well, there's always the option of leaving enemies dead in one charge, so that there's nobody left to AoO you afterward.

Alternatively, don't Rage. Or use Anklets of Translocation to teleport out of enemy threatened squares and then charge.

mabriss lethe
2010-06-28, 01:02 AM
Anything that will give you a miss chance will help nicely.

Hague
2010-06-28, 01:15 AM
Cloak of Displacement most likely.

PId6
2010-06-28, 01:44 AM
Cloak of Displacement most likely.
Make sure to get the Minor one. The Major one is horrible due to requiring a standard action to activate.

Patrikc
2010-06-28, 02:02 AM
Make sure to get the Minor one. The Major one is horrible due to requiring a standard action to activate.

The Minor one doesn't protect you from AoO, unfortunately.

PId6
2010-06-28, 02:06 AM
The Minor one doesn't protect you from AoO, unfortunately.
Well, it does protect you from 20% of AoOs. :smallcool:

Patrikc
2010-06-28, 02:26 AM
Well, it does protect you from 20% of AoOs. :smallcool:

Touché.

I wonder if you'd get that 20% against attacks in a Grapple, too...

PId6
2010-06-28, 02:34 AM
I wonder if you'd get that 20% against attacks in a Grapple, too...
Against grapple checks to deal Unarmed Strike damage, no it would not. Concealment only works against attacks, so it only applies if they have to make attack rolls. Dealing damage via grapple avoids needing attack rolls, so it ignores concealment.

If you mean attacks with light weapons made inside a grapple, then yes, it would still apply.

Grumman
2010-06-28, 02:40 AM
According to Crystalkeep there's a couple of Barbarian variants in Dragon Magazine that could help. One is the Dashing Step Barbarian, which replaces your damage reduction with bonuses to your AC while charging. The other is the Horselord, whose Rage-equivalent (Battle Ecstasy) lets you use all skills (although most are at a penalty) instead of the all-or-nothing for a normal barbarian.

ryzouken
2010-06-28, 02:40 AM
Take Robilar's Gambit and hit them back. Hard.

Otherwise, if you kill them with your first pounce, they won't be around to hit you when you pounce someone else.

EDIT: wait, why does rage stop you from using Dex based skills? Frenzy does that, but basic Rage doesn't, right?

Eldariel
2010-06-28, 12:52 PM
Take Robilar's Gambit and hit them back. Hard.

Otherwise, if you kill them with your first pounce, they won't be around to hit you when you pounce someone else.

EDIT: wait, why does rage stop you from using Dex based skills? Frenzy does that, but basic Rage doesn't, right?

Read for yourself, lad (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/barbarian.htm#rage).

John Campbell
2010-06-28, 01:19 PM
Play Pathfinder! The exemption for Balance becomes an exemption for all of Acrobatics in Pathfinder.

Keld Denar
2010-06-28, 01:29 PM
Does Whirling Frenzy (UA) help?

mabriss lethe
2010-06-28, 02:28 PM
The Ferocity barbarian variant in the Cityscape Web Enhancement might fit the bill.
Reader's Digest version: Trade Con bonus for a Dex bonus and retain the use of all skills except for Int and Cha based skills. For a more precise and complete description, read it for yourself (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a)

Now you can tumble while raging

comicshorse
2010-06-28, 03:06 PM
The Ferocity barbarian variant in the Cityscape Web Enhancement might fit the bill.

That's how my Barbarian PC does it

Another_Poet
2010-06-28, 03:15 PM
Check the "add x to y" thread. Maybe there is a way to base Tumble on a different stat than Dex? (Wis maybe?)

Otherwise yeah, Mobility.