PDA

View Full Version : Old Character New Tricks

quiet1mi
2010-06-28, 03:32 AM
I lost my character sheet and need to write up a new one... I currently have 180 skill points thanks to a INT of 23 and being a beguiler... (going the KISS route on increasing INT naturally so no extra 1 point)

I was thinking about picking up 6 skill tricks to make the guy more flavorful and cinematic in combat... (something my GM likes)

What do you guys recommend as skill tricks? He is built for sneaking and enchantments...

PId6
2010-06-28, 03:42 AM
Social Recovery is very nice for allaying bad Diplomacy rolls.
Assume Quirk and Second Impression are good for disguising yourself.
Conceal Spellcasting can be useful for casters at times.
Collector of Stories is great for the large bonus to Knowledge checks.
False Theurgy is useful for social situations where you want to cast certain spells without being detected at such.

None of these really have much to do with "cinematic" combats, mostly because most of those skill tricks aren't that great and Beguilers aren't very good at stabbing things with swords anyway.

gorfnab
2010-06-28, 03:54 AM
Conceal Spellcasting - great for casting at parties
*Timely Misdirection - cast a spell without having to cast defensively
Swift Concentration - depends on your spell list
Spot the Weak Point - somewhat useful in combat if you need to land a hit
False Theurgy - if you DM throws counter spell mages at you
Clever Improviser - if you somehow find yourself without your tools a lot
Listen to This - great for spying and relaying info to your group
Nimble Stand - Kip Up for cheap, situational at best
*Group Fake Out - if you want to hit multiple targets utilizing surprise/cloaked casting

*Note: Depending on your build and campaign Combat Expertise and Improved Feint may actually work, which is great for the Surprise and Cloaked Casting abilities of the Beguiler. However this is most likely not the case in most campaigns and builds. Feinting as a swift action though works great with the above *skill tricks.

Seffbasilisk
2010-06-28, 04:28 AM
+1 to Listen to This. Note, it covers everything you hear, so crack out that listen check. Command words, overheard things in languages you don't know, your companions voices for key phrases...