PDA

View Full Version : Golem Construction

Draconi Redfir
2010-06-28, 08:09 AM
So i recently made a character for my local 3.5 game, and what i would really like this guy to do is create golems. But i quickly found that there is a bit of an issue, any golems i find online either present me with no stat blocks/construction instructions, or they are at just too high a CR for my level 6 character to possibly create.

do any of you know of any golems i could feasibly create in the near future? stat blocks and instructions on construction/ links to said stat blocks and instructions would be preffered over "its in X book"

Thanks in advance!

Snake-Aes
2010-06-28, 08:22 AM
So i recently made a character for my local 3.5 game, and what i would really like this guy to do is create golems. But i quickly found that there is a bit of an issue, any golems i find online either present me with no stat blocks/construction instructions, or they are at just too high a CR for my level 6 character to possibly create.

do any of you know of any golems i could feasibly create in the near future? stat blocks and instructions on construction/ links to said stat blocks and instructions would be preffered over "its in X book"

Thanks in advance!

Gingerbread golems (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/Cc85LTNvTgOuH1xTRjz.html) :D

Optimystik
2010-06-28, 08:26 AM
Start small - specifically, with Homunculi. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/homunculus.htm)

arguskos
2010-06-28, 08:28 AM
There are the lesser golems out of Dragon #341 (Fungus, Junk, Paper, Tin, and Wax). They're each fairly cheap and low level, as far as golems go.

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-28, 08:29 AM
Effigy creatures from Complete Arcana.

And one of the Dragon Mags has some low level friendly constructs too.

Draconi Redfir
2010-06-28, 08:49 AM
There are the lesser golems out of Dragon #341 (Fungus, Junk, Paper, Tin, and Wax). They're each fairly cheap and low level, as far as golems go.

got any specifics for them?

don’t think i could do a homunculus, im actually currently a bard ATM, though im probably going to multiclass into sorcerer at some point. (Sublime chord if i can ever find it and learn what it actually dose)

Optimystik
2010-06-28, 08:54 AM
(Sublime chord if i can ever find it and learn what it actually dose)

Sublime Chord is a PrC in Complete Arcane. It improves your bardic casting so that you (a) gain access to the Sorcerer spell list (4th level and higher) and (b) can go all the way up to 9th-level spells, typically by 19, though it can be done earlier with the right tricks. You also gain a couple of new songs, though at the cost of some of your music progression. Naturally, the spells of a Tier 2 class outweigh reduced music progression.

Draconi Redfir
2010-06-28, 11:05 AM
Sublime Chord is a PrC in Complete Arcane. It improves your bardic casting so that you (a) gain access to the Sorcerer spell list (4th level and higher) and (b) can go all the way up to 9th-level spells, typically by 19, though it can be done earlier with the right tricks. You also gain a couple of new songs, though at the cost of some of your music progression. Naturally, the spells of a Tier 2 class outweigh reduced music progression.

yes yes fair enough, but that isent what this topic is about. and even then i dont have the book, and no one is willing to post any info about it besides what you just said, wich dosent really help me
anyone got any oher suggestions/links as to low-CR golems i could possibly make?

Calemyr
2010-06-28, 11:30 AM
Effigies (Complete Arcane, I think) are a very good class of construct for the growing construct craftsman. They're limited by hit die rather than CR, since most of abilities are lost in the trade. (Obviously, this is better for some creatures than others.) There's even a prestige class in the book that specializes in making the them.

If the DM gives any leeway to creativity/rule of cool, you might even be able to customize it. For instance, gold dragons reach large size earlier than most, and the DM allowed me to make an effigy version that I could use as a mount. Sure, it didn't have all the cool dragon traits, but it had all the speed and physical power of a large dragon, the ability to fly, and (thanks to a pair of custom staffs built into the creature's throat) I was able to cast several spells through it to give the semblance of dragon breath. Wyverns are also a fun option, as they get huge pretty quickly and a huge flying creature can transport the whole party pretty nicely.

Optimystik
2010-06-28, 11:44 AM
and even then i dont have the book, and no one is willing to post any info about it besides what you just said, wich dosent really help me

Willingness has nothing to do with it; Complete Arcane is not OGL, meaning that posting too much info about the Sublime Chord on these boards is illegal. The same is true of the effigies from the same book, and the variant golems from Dragon Magazine.

If you don't have access to the books, your best bet is to reflavor a homunculus as a miniature golem until you can create full-sized ones. The link I posted earlier from the SRD is OGL, and thus perfectly legal.

Draconi Redfir
2010-06-29, 07:35 AM
so going back on topic here, golems? anyone? anyone? low level golems a bard/sorccer could possibly build?

IdleMuse
2010-06-29, 09:04 AM
I think you pretty much got the list already: Homonculus, those ones from Dragon 341, and Effigies of things with 6HD or less.

Just for fun, I went through the MM and found some cool things that work well as 6HD effigies:

Cloaker: Loses its Shadow Shift ability but retains its useful Moan power, very handy for a debuffer like a Bard.
Advanced Deinonychus: It's a robot dinosaur, nuff said.
Dire Wolf: If Dinosaurs stand out too much.
A Drider could be pretty cool-looking, though it loses virtually all its abilities.
Giant Eagle? Giant Owl?
Advanced Gibbering Mouther: Although I'm struggling to see how this even works as an Effigy, statistically it's pretty good, retains the ability to do fairly large amounts of CON damage.
6-headed Hydra: Hilarious, not necessarily very good.
Spider Eaters, for some reason, despite being effigied, retain their Implant Egg ability..
Swarms seem an amusing target for Effigy creation
Will-o'-wisp Effigies are immune to magic and can become invisible.
Various kinds of interestingly-sized Vermin.

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-29, 09:08 AM
Hmm... Can spider effigies still spin webs?

Draconi Redfir
2010-06-29, 09:12 AM
ok im sorry, but WTF is an Effigies? im looking for golems here...:smallconfused:

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-29, 09:15 AM
Effigy is a template that when put on a critter makes it a construct. With either the Effigy Master PrC or Create Construct you can make these creatures, and they are less costly than Golems.

So an effigy Dire Bear is basically a Clockwork Dire Bear, animated by magic

Beelzebub1111
2010-06-29, 09:16 AM
One dragon magazine, I forget the number. Has Origami, Wax, and Fungus golems.

Optimystik
2010-06-29, 09:30 AM
ok im sorry, but WTF is an Effigies? im looking for golems here...:smallconfused:

I think you're too hung up on the word "golem" when there is no game difference between a golem and any other construct besides the name. Whether you go with effigies or homunculi, nothing is stopping you from just refluffing and calling it a golem.

The whole idea behind golems is that they are complicated constructs to create. I think it would be very flavorful for a low-level crafter to start with smaller creations and work his way up to the big leagues. The Sistine Chapel was not Michelangelo's first painting, after all.

Snake-Aes
2010-06-29, 09:34 AM

Complete arcane. Lifelike constructs casters can make.

IdleMuse
2010-06-29, 09:45 AM
Hmm... Can spider effigies still spin webs?

Unfortunately not; Effigies lose (Ex) abilities that are based on CON.

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-29, 09:56 AM
Awww, but I wanna spider that can make me metal nets:smallfrown:

Draconi Redfir
2010-06-29, 10:40 AM
hasent dragon magazine been long since canceled? or was that just the OOTS pages at the end of them? even so, how am i supposed to get my hands on old issues?

i dont suppose you guys can post me any actual info on these effigie things? or is it like the sublime chord (also in Compleate Arcane aparently) were you cant tell me anything besides what book its in?

they definetly seem like something i could go with, at least untill i find something stronger yet still low-level.

Thefurmonger
2010-06-29, 12:09 PM
hasent dragon magazine been long since canceled? or was that just the OOTS pages at the end of them? even so, how am i supposed to get my hands on old issues?

i dont suppose you guys can post me any actual info on these effigie things? or is it like the sublime chord (also in Compleate Arcane aparently) were you cant tell me anything besides what book its in?

they definetly seem like something i could go with, at least untill i find something stronger yet still low-level.

Sadly Effigie creatures are also not OGL so its a no no to post exactly how they work.

For what its worth tho Com Arcane (the book with them, the PRC for them and SChord) can be found fairly cheep on amazon/ebay.

Snake-Aes
2010-06-29, 12:10 PM
Sadly Effigie creatures are also not OGL so its a no no to post exactly how they work.

For what its worth tho Com Arcane (the book with them, the PRC for them and SChord) can be found fairly cheep on amazon/ebay.

Also remember you don't need the prc to craft effigies. They fall under Craft Construct too.

Thefurmonger
2010-06-29, 12:16 PM
Also dont forget that all Homunculi are not the ugly little creatures from the SRD

The Eberron Campaign setting has several that are really awsome (and in all respects are mini-golems)

The Iron Defender is by far the coolest as it looks like a robot guard dog and is actually decent in combat at the lvl you can make it. (min 4th)

Optimystik
2010-06-29, 12:19 PM
As above, whether homunculi are ugly or not is purely a fluff matter. WotC draws them that way, but you don't have to envision them that way.

Ormagoden
2010-06-29, 12:27 PM
Gentlemen (and ladies), Meet the Mechonomicon (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=gqjnjf9d0otk9i6np46orlpci3&topic=177.0).

It should solve all your low level craft construct needs Gicko.

Optimystik
2010-06-29, 12:39 PM
Gentlemen (and ladies), Meet the Mechonomicon (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=gqjnjf9d0otk9i6np46orlpci3&topic=177.0).

Nice, and bookmarked.
But he'll still need the various books to get the stats for those robots.
I do note that the author appears to like homunculi (you can pick their feats.)

Ormagoden
2010-06-29, 01:07 PM
Nice, and bookmarked.
But he'll still need the various books to get the stats for those robots.
I do note that the author appears to like homunculi (you can pick their feats.)

Hopefully the OP will now know where to look for the ones he likes the sound of.

The list isn't complete however, I do note there are some missing constructs. I really hope it helps.

Beorn080
2010-06-29, 01:17 PM
I believe the item you are looking for is this.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#golemManual

Grants the XP, spells, and temporary use of the Craft Construct feat, which saves you a nice chunk of resources. Granted, to make a flesh golem, you'll need to boost your CL by a level, and the others are a touch out of your league, but I know there are many ways to boost CL.

Draconi Redfir
2010-06-29, 01:20 PM

interesting. sadly the only book i have in my posession is the pathfinder PH. but my GM has a whole basket full of em, perhaps he would be willing to photocopy/write down the comat stats of these things for me. (something tells me he's not gunna let me borrow any of em XD)

Draconi Redfir
2010-06-29, 01:24 PM
I believe the item you are looking for is this.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#golemManual

Grants the XP, spells, and temporary use of the Craft Construct feat, which saves you a nice chunk of resources. Granted, to make a flesh golem, you'll need to boost your CL by a level, and the others are a touch out of your league, but I know there are many ways to boost CL.

dont think ill need to worry about that, not planning on makeing any flesh golems :P