PDA

View Full Version : Expanded League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Darkxarth
2010-06-28, 09:08 AM
As I watched the movie last night, I thought about how cool it would be to do a one-shot or even a full adventure using the premise of the League. I quickly decided, however, that I would start the tentative game in 1909, 10 years after the Quartermaine League stopped Moriarty's plot to spark and fuel a "world war."

My plot would probably revolve around some Lovecraftian horrors and maybe Dr. Moreau as a human villain. Another idea could use the invasion from War of the Worlds. Regardless, before I work on the plot I need to create a League to thwart it.

The problem is that I cannot come up with a suitable number of characters to participate in the 1909 League. I have a few ideas, which I will list below, but obviously I can use all of the help I can get. So, I turn to you, well-read Playgrounders, to help me come up with a band of fictional (or pseudo-fictional) characters to fill out the 1909 League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Dr. John Watson - I thought about Sherlock Holmes, but he would quickly overshadow the other members of the League. Watson is clever, has medical experience, and fits the timeline. I don't have any explanation for Holmes' absence, however, other than the fact that I don't want to include him as a player character.

Phileas Fogg - It's a bit of a stretch, as far as the timeline is concerned, but I think he is a better candidate than the protagonists from either Journey to the Center of the Earth or The Time Machine.

Butch Cassidy - Not a literary character, but I think he would make an interesting American addition to the 1909 League. I am not sure how I would alter his storyline to include him in the League, but it's a thought.

As you can see, I could use 3 or 4 more characters for my 1909 League. The only restrictions are that they have to be alive and active around 1909, they have to be fictional (or mythologized, as in the case of Butch Cassidy), and they have to have some sort of use within the League.

Finally, I should note that I am not familiar with the comic books that inspired the movie. So if there is relevant information in the comics that would apply to the characters available for a 1909 League, feel free to include it.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Tanuki Tales
2010-06-28, 09:15 AM
Thomas Carnacki, Mina Murray, Quartermain, Orlando and A.J. Raffles are the League in 1910.

Baidas Kebante
2010-06-28, 09:51 AM
In the comic, the story takes place during the time that Sherlocke Holmes had 'died' and was still evading Moran. In fact, this is an important part of the plot. James Watson is free to join the League during this time without Holmes' presence, although he wasn't directly mentioned. Phileas Fogg is mentioned by one of the characters but also does not take part in the story.

The second volume introduces John Carter, Lieutenant Gullivar Jones and Dr. Moreau.

Myshlaevsky
2010-06-28, 09:55 AM
In addition to the above suggestions, these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_years_in_literature) links (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1890s_books) may (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1900s_books) be useful to you.

Darkxarth
2010-06-28, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the help so far, I have come across a couple more characters that might be appropriate.

Professor Challenger (The Lost World) – Professor Challenger may be an angry old man, but he is also a scientific genius. Especially considering the events of the Disintegration Machine, I don't think it would be too far out of line for him to have some sort of participation in the 1909 League, especially considering Dr. Moreau and the Martian Invasion as potential hooks.

Alice (Alice in Wonderland) – Alice is an unconventional choice, and it requires glossing over the perceived date of the events of the books, but I think she would be quite interesting. I was thinking of giving her some sort of teleportation powers or perhaps narratorial magic (what she says, occurs, with limits on distance and scale).

Thanks for your help so far, keep it coming.

Jyokage
2010-06-28, 11:31 AM
One thing to remember about Watson is that he is also quite an adept fighter.

Ossian
2010-06-28, 11:32 AM
What are you waiting for to add Nikola Tesla (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla)?

He is 54 in 1910 and reeks of Nobel Prize (too bad he didn't get it). Experiments with electricity, is a TOTAL GENIUS that basically gave us the technology we have now like the Aliens have done with the Egyptian and Aztecs in all pseudo archeological stories (only, Tesla did it for real)

http://apracticalguidetoracism.com/missives/images/uploads/David_Bowie_as_Nikola_Tesla2.jpg.

You said you have a Lovecraftian angle to your story? Tesla is a must...

Darkxarth
2010-06-28, 11:34 AM
What are you waiting for to add Nikola Tesla (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla)?

He is 54 in 1910 and reeks of Nobel Prize (too bad he didn't get it). Experiments with electricity, is a TOTAL GENIUS that basically gave us the technology we have now like the Aliens have done with the Egyptian and Aztecs in all pseudo archeological stories (only, Tesla did it for real)

http://apracticalguidetoracism.com/missives/images/uploads/David_Bowie_as_Nikola_Tesla2.jpg.

You said you have a Lovecraftian angle to your story? Tesla is a must...

D'oh! How could I have missed Telsa? Brilliant addition, and now I am not sure whether I need Prof. Challenger or not...

Fax Celestis
2010-06-28, 11:46 AM
Quartermain

...is going to be around for a loooooooong time.

EDIT: Also, Teddy Roosevelt (the Rough Rider!). The Wright Brothers.

comicshorse
2010-06-28, 11:49 AM
Sir Dennis Nayland Smith arch-foe of the Devil Doctor himself, Fu Manchu

Tanuki Tales
2010-06-28, 11:53 AM
...is going to be around for a loooooooong time.

EDIT: Also, Teddy Roosevelt (the Rough Rider!). The Wright Brothers.

Well, him and Mina did gain eternal life.

comicshorse
2010-06-28, 11:55 AM
How about a still young and pretty Miss Marple

Telonius
2010-06-28, 12:12 PM
Howard Carter. So he's the only one who didn't die of the curse of Tutankhamen, hmm? Sounds like mystic or magical backstory to me.

Tom Dennis Fitzgerald, aka "The Great Brain." Still a kid in 1898, would have probably been late teens(?) or early 20s in 1909.

Tankadin
2010-06-28, 12:17 PM
D'oh! How could I have missed Telsa? Brilliant addition, and now I am not sure whether I need Prof. Challenger or not...

Just remember to have Tesla be played by David Bowie, or it won't work.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-28, 12:20 PM
Max Planck basically began quantum physics in 1900. He could be a good candidate.

In 1901 Lincoln was exhumed and then re-interred inside a concrete vault. Maybe zombie Lincoln?

Eldan
2010-06-28, 12:22 PM
Concrete mummy Lincoln.

The Glyphstone
2010-06-28, 12:34 PM
League of Extraordinary Auxiliaries?

Fax Celestis
2010-06-28, 12:47 PM
This gem courtesy of the IRC channel.

[10:43] <Fax> I am a bad person
[10:43] <Fax> someone is asking for suggestions for a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen sort of deal
[10:43] <Fax> Set around the early 1900s
[10:43] <Fax> I said: "In 1901 Lincoln was exhumed and then re-interred inside a concrete vault. Maybe zombie Lincoln?"
[10:43] <UglyPanda> That would actually be a bit fun.
[10:43] <UglyPanda> Obviously a joke, but it bit fun.
[10:44] <Fax> also ZOMBIE LINCOLN
[10:44] <Fax> ciiiiviiiiiiil riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiights
[10:44] <Fax> CIIIVIIIIIIIIIL RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHTS
[10:44] <Fax> om nom nom
[10:44] <UglyPanda> Maybe he takes his revenge on Ghoul Wilkes Booth?
[10:45] <Fax> lulz
[10:45] <AJ_Impy> "I said Sic Semper Tyrannus, BITCH!" *BLAM*
[10:45] <Fax> OMG
[10:45] <Fax> John Wilkes Booth is a WEREWOLF HUNTER
[10:46] <Fax> Lincoln is a WEREWOLF
[10:46] <Fax> IT ALL MAKES SENSE
[10:46] <Fax> SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS *silver bullet*

SilveryCord
2010-06-28, 01:01 PM
Alice (Alice in Wonderland) – Alice is an unconventional choice, and it requires glossing over the perceived date of the events of the books, but I think she would be quite interesting. I was thinking of giving her some sort of teleportation powers or perhaps narratorial magic (what she says, occurs, with limits on distance and scale).

Rule of Cool supersedes any dates. I'd say that Alice is a young, superconfused girl, put into situations she has no idea how to deal with, and somehow, perhaps magically but no one knows for sure, they get resolved. She doesn't have any obvious powers, but her presence and childlike attitude change the situation just by her being involved.

Edit: ++ Planck!

candycorn
2010-06-28, 01:17 PM
This gem courtesy of the IRC channel.

That's an oft misquoted line. According to eyewitness accounts, it was "Sic Semper Fenris"!

^.^

Telonius
2010-06-28, 01:42 PM
Mary Poppins. Reimagined, obviously, but she's right for the time period.

Darkxarth
2010-06-28, 01:51 PM
Rule of Cool supersedes any dates. I'd say that Alice is a young, superconfused girl, put into situations she has no idea how to deal with, and somehow, perhaps magically but no one knows for sure, they get resolved. She doesn't have any obvious powers, but her presence and childlike attitude change the situation just by her being involved.

Edit: ++ Planck!

I was imagining a 20-something Alice, but a 8-year-old Alice would be fun to play, too. I can only imagine the looks on the faces of the others when a small girl walks into the room. They all groan, but then suddenly they never groaned and, in fact, they all have a piece of candy to give the new little girl.

Mary Poppins. Reimagined, obviously, but she's right for the time period.

Very cool, though it feels like it might be too similar to this vision of Alice.

Max Planck basically began quantum physics in 1900. He could be a good candidate.

Yeah, but the problem with Planck is that he does not seem as exciting as Tesla. Tesla already as all this built-in excitement and pseudo-mythology of his own.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-28, 02:01 PM
Yeah, but the problem with Planck is that he does not seem as exciting as Tesla. Tesla already as all this built-in excitement and pseudo-mythology of his own.

QUANTUM. PHYSICS.

Dogmantra
2010-06-28, 02:29 PM
QUANTUM. PHYSICS.

TESLA. COILS.

That's actually all I have to add to the discussion.

Mordar
2010-06-28, 02:35 PM
Though it is a touch off your timeline, I nominate Tarzan. I think he fits in a number of ways - good for adventure, link to the Lovecraft genre through indiginous tribes and witchdoctors, iconic...and he can ride an elephant. That's always useful, right? :smallsmile:

- M

SilveryCord
2010-06-28, 02:43 PM
Mary Poppins can be assigned to take care of Alice and her uncontrollable, strange, reality revising powers. Who better to deal with insanity, alternate time lines, and a girl who doesn't like going to bed on time than Mary Poppins!??

HG Wells The Time Machine's hero might also fit into this era, the main character a naive time traveller, to ready to risk his life for knowledge and ignorant of how he's negatively affecting the time stream. His name could be George! :)

Edit: I suppose ANY time traveller would fit into the time period by definition ;P I meant when the book was written though.

Edit 2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characters_in_The_League_of_Extraordinary_Gentleme n

Alan Moore beat us to a few of these, like Alice. Another one I hadn't thought of: James Bond!

Darkxarth
2010-06-28, 05:27 PM
QUANTUM. PHYSICS.

Yeah, but quantum physics requires a much higher level of technology to make use of than Teslapunk.

woodenbandman
2010-06-28, 05:34 PM
The ****ing Wright Brothers

Greenish
2010-06-28, 05:43 PM
especially considering Dr. Moreau and the Martian Invasion as potential hooks.Dr. Moreau defeated the Martian Invasion in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen II. (Or rather, H-142 did.)

In the very same comic (or "graphic novel", if you prefer) we have the one and only, John Carter, The Warlord of Mars.

Oh, and as an aside, the movie has preciously little in common with the comics.

Heliomance
2010-06-28, 05:52 PM
QUANTUM. PHYSICS.

NIKOLA. TESLA.

Greenish
2010-06-28, 05:59 PM
NIKOLA. TESLA.A rather sad guy. Brilliant, but sad. http://www.harkavagrant.com/history/marconism.pngI'd feel bad for him if he weren't so popular with ladies. http://www.harkavagrant.com/history/teslafinal.png

[Edit]: Strips shamelessly stolen from the brilliant webcomic Hark! A vagrant (http://harkavagrant.com/index.php).

Darkxarth
2010-06-29, 08:18 AM
So, for the final line-up, I guess I am looking at:

Dr. Watson: Leader, Medical, Investigative
Butch Cassidy: Strategist, Gunslinger
Phileas Fogg: Travel, Financial Backing
Alice: Reality-Bending
Mary Poppins: Magic, Alice's Caretaker?
Nikola Tesla: Science!
Tarzan: Close Combat, Wilderness Expertise

Perhaps with NPC cameos by:
The Wright Bros.
Teddy Roosevelt
Professor Challenger

Villains:
Dr. Moreau
Lovecraftian Horrors
Martian Tripod Invasion

Any other suggestions (aside from Max Planck)?

Thespianus
2010-06-29, 08:52 AM
So, for the final line-up, I guess I am looking at:

Mary Poppins: Magic, Alice's Caretaker?

Any other suggestions (aside from Max Planck)?

Mary Poppins is of a later date, isn't she? How about Wendy Darling, from the Peter Pan-story? She'd do the same kind of "Magic" as Mary Poppins, with some Tinkerbell-fairy dust thrown in for good measure?

Wendy and Alice might be of approximately the same age...

Darkxarth
2010-06-29, 09:10 AM
Mary Poppins is of a later date, isn't she? How about Wendy Darling, from the Peter Pan-story? She'd do the same kind of "Magic" as Mary Poppins, with some Tinkerbell-fairy dust thrown in for good measure?

Wendy and Alice might be of approximately the same age...

Someone suggested Mary Poppins, but I did not stop to check. According to the Wikipedia, the first book was published in 1934, but I cannot find the time in which the actual story takes place.

That said, Wendy is a good addition, but, like Alice, I am not sure a young girl would work well in a role-playing situation where the fate of the world is at stake. Instead, perhaps Wendy is a young woman who has visited Neverland several times and is as adventurous and capable as anyone. Unfortunately, I cannot imagine her having much in the way of magic or 'extraordinary' powers, which puts her at an extreme disadvantage to the others.

EDIT: Just realized that MOST of the above characters have little/no magical or extraordinary powers.

Greenish
2010-06-29, 09:31 AM
Dr. Watson: Leader, Medical, InvestigativeDr. Watson is also a crack shot, so you could ditch Cassidy. The Empire hardly requires help from the colonies.

comicshorse
2010-06-29, 09:32 AM
VILLAINS: Moriarty, Fu Manchu, Dracula, Dr Frankenstien, Robur the Conqueror, Fantomas, Dr Caligari

SilveryCord
2010-06-29, 09:36 AM
VILLAINS: Moriarty, Fu Manchu, Dracula, Dr Frankenstien, Robur the Conqueror, Fantomas, Dr Caligari

Uh... did we read the same book?

Darkxarth
2010-06-29, 09:44 AM
Dr. Watson is also a crack shot, so you could ditch Cassidy. The Empire hardly requires help from the colonies.

Aw. Yeah, you're probably right. Dang, I have to run a Western game some day and include a cameo by either an old Butch Cassidy or Sundance Kid.

So now I am thinking a core of these four characters.

Dr. Watson: Leader, Medical, Investigative, Pistols
Alice (child or young woman): Reality-Bending
Nikola Tesla: Science!
Tarzan: Close Combat, Wilderness Expertise

And one of these two ladies.
Wendy Darling (young woman): Adventurous, Experienced (Neverland), Possibly Flight from Residual Pixie Dust?
Mary Poppins: Magic Umbrella, Carpetbag of Many Things

And maybe this guy.
Phileas Fogg: Travel, Financial Backing (Does anyone have anything interesting that Phileas can do? It has been a while since I have read the book and he seems like he might be awfully boring if all he does is provide money. Much more like NPC territory)

More comments suggestions are always welcome.

EDIT:

:smallbiggrin: True. Frankenstein's monster survived, but the good doctor is unlikely to be making an appearance (unless he joins Zombie Lincoln).

comicshorse
2010-06-29, 09:51 AM
Posted by SilveryCord

You mean that self-serving account he served up to try to excuse the grave-robbing, corpse mutiliation and the innocents he got killed:smallsmile:

Seriously assuming he survived I can see the good doctor going either way, either hero or villain.

For the record I included him based on a friends campaign of Castle Falkenstien where the main opponents were the World Crime League. Frankenstein acted as the groups Scientific Advisor, partially because they had the funds to support his research, partially because they had no moral objections to any of his experiments and partially because as he was wanted for various crimes it was the only place he had to hide

Darkxarth
2010-06-29, 09:53 AM
You mean that self-serving account he served up to try to excuse the grave-robbing, corpse mutiliation and the innocents he got killed:smallsmile:

Seriously assuming he survived I can see the good doctor going either way, either hero or villain.

I am fairly certain SilveryCord was referring to the book in which he died. Ingloriously.

Postmodernist
2010-06-29, 09:54 AM
Whoa. I ran a game just like this several years ago. Phileas Fogg and Wendy Darling both showed up. Wong Fei-Hong (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wong_Fei_Hung) also showed up, as did... Dr. Frankenstein, The Monster, and Igor, if I recall correctly. Tarzan was there as a guide. Their (brief) adventures primarily surrounded entering deepest, darkest Africa looking for a fellow named Kurtz. Gunga Din made an appearance, as did Mowgli. I can't remember any other major components. The game fell apart because the players preferred infighting to my plot, but I thought the premise was good. Best of luck!

EDIT: Regarding Fogg, don't forget his manservant Passepartout. One of my PCs played as Fogg, and took on a sort of face/leadership role, in addition to being the backer and arranger of transportation. He also provided a great deal of the comic relief. He could also satisfy a thief/rogue type role, in that he was suspected of robbing the Bank of England in Around the World in 80 Days. It doesn't take much storyline sleight of hand to actually have had him rob it.

comicshorse
2010-06-29, 09:54 AM
Ah, yes. My mistake :smallfrown:
Well if you were in as much trouble as him you'd fake your death to

Telonius
2010-06-29, 09:55 AM
Someone suggested Mary Poppins, but I did not stop to check. According to the Wikipedia, the first book was published in 1934, but I cannot find the time in which the actual story takes place.

If the Disney movie is canon: "It's grand to be an Englishman in 1910." Timeframe is right.

Darkxarth
2010-06-29, 09:57 AM
Ah, yes :smallfrown:
Well if you were in as much trouble as him you'd fake your death to

:smallbiggrin: True. Personally, I found it very hard to sympathize with either Dr. Frankenstein or his creation by the end of the novel.

EDIT:
If the Disney movie is canon: "It's grand to be an Englishman in 1910." Timeframe is right.

Good catch. Wikipedia says that the original author of Mary Poppins had control over the screenplay, so I think we can assume that it is relatively accurate. Even if it takes place earlier, I think it would be reasonable to claim that Mary Poppins does not age as quickly as the rest of us, so that she can have been around in 1909 before the events of her books.

Thespianus
2010-06-29, 09:59 AM

My bad, then. I thought Mary Poppins was of later date. Sorry for adding confusion. :smallfrown:

jiriku
2010-06-29, 10:06 AM
You want to include Lovecraftian Horrors?

Randolph Carter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randolph_Carter). He has the key to gate of dreams, and with it can transcend time and travel to other dimensions. He has browsed the Necronomicon, knows the way to the Plateau of Leng, has walked the streets of unknown Kadath, and trafficked with mi-go and ghouls and stranger things.

Randolph Carter is hard-core, man.

Greenish
2010-06-29, 10:13 AM
Alice (child or young woman): Reality-BendingWhy reality-bending, when most of the other heroes lack overt supernatural talents?
Tarzan: Close Combat, Wilderness ExpertiseTarzan shmarzan. I still support John Carter over the king of apes.
Phileas Fogg: Travel, Financial Backing (Does anyone have anything interesting that Phileas can do? It has been a while since I have read the book and he seems like he might be awfully boring if all he does is provide money. Much more like NPC territory)He's a true English Gentleman, and a Gentleman Adventurer to boot. What else do you need?

It's a shame the Duke of Wellington isn't around in 1909, though.

comicshorse
2010-06-29, 10:21 AM
Posted by Greenish

Why reality-bending, when most of the other heroes lack overt supernatural talents?

The fun here, at least it would be for me, is reality-bending IN THE HANDS OF AN UNSTABLE LITTLE GIRL
Yes huge potential, but just as much potentail for utter disaster if not handled absolutley right

Darkxarth
2010-06-29, 10:24 AM
Why reality-bending, when most of the other heroes lack overt supernatural talents? Tarzan shmarzan. I still support John Carter over the king of apes.He's a true English Gentleman, and a Gentleman Adventurer to boot. What else do you need?

It's a shame the Duke of Wellington isn't around in 1909, though.

Alice's reality-bending power would be not be overt or easily controlled. I imagine it manifesting itself subtly in most cases. Alice is thrown from a speeding train, but lands on a giant, soft haystack that may or may not have been there moments before.

Alternatively, her powers simply alter things that already exist. Alice picks up a candlestick from the Baron's table and it suddenly looks more line a morningstar. Or that butter knife grows and sharpens to become a sword.

Besides, I kind of like the idea that Alice is more powerful than anyone else, deep down, but she's not fully in control of her powers. Yet.

Greenish
2010-06-29, 10:32 AM
The fun here, at least it would be for me, is reality-bending IN THE HANDS OF AN UNSTABLE LITTLE GIRLThat's not even a trope, but a flat-out cliché, and doesn't fit very well with the other, mundane characters.

Tiki Snakes
2010-06-29, 10:41 AM
It also has precious little to do with Alice, who is either a totally normal but completely insane person, or a totally unflappable person in an insane world.

I would have thought that the whole point of alice would be Badass Normal (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BadassNormal) or something along those lines.

"Now stop being ridiculous Mr Lincoln and put your head back on your shoulders, where it belongs."

Darkxarth
2010-06-29, 10:47 AM
It also has precious little to do with Alice, who is either a totally normal but completely insane person, or a totally unflappable person in an insane world.

"Now stop being ridiculous Mr Lincoln and put your head back on your shoulders, where it belongs."

Hmm... this idea intrigues me greatly. However, most of the characters on the list are going to be very familiar with the strange and outrageously disturbing, so I think Alice might need a little more than just that. Still, it's a good start for... something.

SilveryCord
2010-06-29, 01:01 PM
I didn't necessarily mean that he was dead, because who gives a crap when you're doing crossover fiction in a p&p game, but rather that I don't think that the Victor in the novel is really evil.

(Of course, that brings up the question--are any consistent, well written characters actually D&D 'Evil'?)

Any history guys know what's going on in Asia at the time? Needs a far-east character.

Darkxarth
2010-06-29, 01:15 PM
I didn't necessarily mean that he was dead, because who gives a crap when you're doing crossover fiction in a p&p game, but rather that I don't think that the Victor in the novel is really evil.
Ah, I see. I am not sure Victor or the monster are truly evil, in fact, they fall in the same sort of grey area that the members of the Victorian League do. However, my 1909 League is composed of pretty solid good guys (in my mind, anyway).

Any history guys know what's going on in Asia at the time? Needs a far-east character.

Trans-Siberian Railroad is being built and the Boxer Rebellion, other than that, I have no idea.

Heliomance
2010-06-29, 01:19 PM
Grigori Rasputin is around, actually. Can't believe no-one mentioned him.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-29, 02:13 PM
Grigori Rasputin is around, actually. Can't believe no-one mentioned him.

Alan Quartermain vs. Grigori Rasputin: The Man Africa Would Not Let Die vs. The Man Russia Would Not Let Die!

Ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny!

Eleven
2010-06-29, 05:48 PM
Alan Quartermain vs. Grigori Rasputin: The Man Africa Would Not Let Die vs. The Man Russia Would Not Let Die!

Ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny!

Potentially the most hilarious thing I've read all day.

woodenbandman
2010-06-29, 06:00 PM
I wish I had greater knowledge of 1900s fictional/legendary characters.

Dorian Gray is pretty much a given.

Put Mark Twain in if Tesla is going to be a character, at least as an NPC. According to wikipedia, they were good friends (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_twain).

Darkxarth
2010-06-30, 03:26 PM
Hmm... Rasputin would make a fairly good character, too, though as a villain, obviously, not a PC.

Dorian Grey was in the movie (which is what any game I run would be based off of since most of my friends are not avid comic readers).
He was a double-crossing villain and he died in the end.

Mark Twain is an interesting idea, but I don't think he would be useful to the League. Plus, one must be careful when including the authors of fictional pieces that one might be using (Tom Sawyer also appeared in the movie).

Also, does anyone know of any good, contemporary Asian characters that might make League recruits? Or of any events occurring in Asia around 1909? (In addition to any other suggestions for characters, villains, plots, etc.)

The Demented One
2010-06-30, 03:58 PM
Tesla? Pish posh. If you want a mad scientist, and if you want a British mad scientist, then there's only one man you want. The Doctor.

comicshorse
2010-06-30, 05:40 PM
The Boxer rebellion was 1900.
Literature of that time mainly used Asian characters as the villains so can't really think of one who would be a suitable recruit for the League

dps
2010-06-30, 07:27 PM
Despite what Greenish said, if you want some American characters, you might consider Tom Swift (first story published in 1910, so the time frame fits) or young Indiana Jones (canonically born in 1898 or 1899; some of the Young Indiana Jones TV episodes occured when he was 10 or even younger). Though Indy doesn't really fit the concept in that he's not in the public domain. Actually, I'm not 100% sure that Tom Swift is.

dps
2010-06-30, 07:35 PM
The Boxer rebellion was 1900.
Literature of that time mainly used Asian characters as the villains so can't really think of one who would be a suitable recruit for the League

You could use Admiral Togo, I suppose, but I don't know what you'd have him do.

a_humble_lich
2010-06-30, 09:46 PM
I agree that in literature of the period asian characters are usually seen as villains (although there is also the loyal Indian manservant to the gentleman adventurer motif.)

However, it was also a very exciting time for East Asia. Japan had just won a war with China (1895) and Russia (1905) taking control of parts of Manchuria (including the formerly Russian Port Arthur), Korea (which was formally annexed in 1910), and Formosa (now Taiwan). This was the rise of Japan as a major world power.

In China, this was the birth of the Republic of China. Emperor Guangxu died in late 1908, and was succeeded by his two year old nephew Puyi. This was a time of rapid change and revolutionary groups, and in 1912 the Republic of China was founded.

Both of those sound like an excellent place to have adventures

Darkxarth
2010-07-01, 06:18 AM
I agree that in literature of the period asian characters are usually seen as villains (although there is also the loyal Indian manservant to the gentleman adventurer motif.)

However, it was also a very exciting time for East Asia. Japan had just won a war with China (1895) and Russia (1905) taking control of parts of Manchuria (including the formerly Russian Port Arthur), Korea (which was formally annexed in 1910), and Formosa (now Taiwan). This was the rise of Japan as a major world power.

In China, this was the birth of the Republic of China. Emperor Guangxu died in late 1908, and was succeeded by his two year old nephew Puyi. This was a time of rapid change and revolutionary groups, and in 1912 the Republic of China was founded.

Both of those sound like an excellent place to have adventures

Thanks! Wikipedia was just failing me (or, more likely, I was failing Wikipedia) in finding useful/applicable history about Asia. I definitely like the idea of playing with the rise of Japan as a major power. Perhaps they did so on the back of some dark magic, steampunk technology, or something else equally appropriate for the campaign.

comicshorse
2010-07-01, 07:45 AM
Posted by Darkarxth

Perhaps they did so on the back of some dark magic, steampunk technology, or something else equally appropriate for the campaign.

Historically the Japenese were deeply affected by the way they were opened up to Western trade ( as this was basically at gunpoint). The country modernized like mad to insure they could deal with the Western powers on a equal basis. The use of Steampunk technology would seem entirely appropriate to this sudden technological upgrade

Cheesegear
2010-07-01, 07:56 AM
Nikola Tesla, eh? So, I take it nobody has seen Sanctuary, wherein Nikola is the last 'true' Vampire on the planet, gifted with extraordinary intelligence (and hates the new 'upstart' vampires of today) which he uses to try an take over the world?

...He also has electricity-based powers in the style of shooting-crap-out-of-his-hands and an ability to charge any and all of his inventions by just being himself.

Super spoiler
He then loses his powers and then gets them back...Sort of...In the form of control over magnetism...

The Five of Sanctuary are;
Dr. Helen Magnus (made up, is played by Amanda Tapping)
John 'Jack the Ripper' Druitt. Yeah. Jack the Ripper fits the timeline.
Dr. James Watson
Nikola Tesla
(Nigel) Griffin - The Invisible Man

Sanctuary got optioned for a third season just recently. Tesla will be back. :smallbiggrin:

Darkxarth
2010-07-01, 08:32 AM
Nikola Tesla, eh? So, I take it nobody has seen Sanctuary, wherein Nikola is the last 'true' Vampire on the planet, gifted with extraordinary intelligence (and hates the new 'upstart' vampires of today) which he uses to try an take over the world?

...He also has electricity-based powers in the style of shooting-crap-out-of-his-hands and an ability to charge any and all of his inventions by just being himself.

The Five of Sanctuary are;
Dr. Helen Magnus (made up, is played by Amanda Tapping)
John 'Jack the Ripper' Druitt. Yeah. Jack the Ripper fits the timeline.
Dr. James Watson
Nikola Tesla
(Nigel) Griffin - The Invisible Man

Interesting, I never got into Sanctuary, but a couple of my friends/relatives did. Anyway, I don't think magical-lightning-vampire Tesla really fits what I am looking for.
Jack the Ripper... hmm... he just seems too mundane compared to the others.
I have already included Dr. Watson.
The Invisible Man was part of the Victorian League, the members of which I would like to exclude from my 1909 League.

Back to fictional Japanese events:
I would like to include a named character with my 'Steampunk Japanese Empire' idea, but I cannot seem to find anyone along those lines. Does anyone want to take a stab at that? As has been stated, the 'Rule of Cool' supersedes dates to a certain extent (no one from earlier than 1800 or later than 1950 without a really good explanation). I am not necessarily looking for this character to be a League member, just a character in the world.

Cheesegear
2010-07-01, 08:34 AM
Jack the Ripper... hmm... he just seems too mundane compared to the others.

In Sanctuary, he teleports. It explains why he was never caught. :smallwink:

Greenish
2010-07-01, 09:33 AM
Jack the Ripper... hmm... he just seems too mundane compared to the others.And in the next sentence you speak of Dr. Watson, the epitome of mundaneness.

But yeah, Griffin appeared in LEG I and LEG II. In the latter he was raped and killed by Mr. Hyde during the Martial Invasion, so he wouldn't be available in any case.

Oh, and a singing, dancing Jack MacHeath returns to London in 1910.

Darkxarth
2010-07-01, 09:48 AM
And in the next sentence you speak of Dr. Watson, the epitome of mundaneness.

Yeah, perhaps "mundane" was not the right word. Jack the Ripper is too... bland. I am having a difficult time explaining why he feels bland compared to Phileas Fogg or Dr. Watson, though. Maybe I just don't like the idea of including Jack the Ripper. If someone wants to contribute a bit of backstory/exposition regarding Jack the Ripper in a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen setting, feel free and it might cause me to change my mind about him.

Tiki Snakes
2010-07-01, 10:06 AM
Yeah, perhaps "mundane" was not the right word. Jack the Ripper is too... bland. I am having a difficult time explaining why he feels bland compared to Phileas Fogg or Dr. Watson, though. Maybe I just don't like the idea of including Jack the Ripper. If someone wants to contribute a bit of backstory/exposition regarding Jack the Ripper in a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen setting, feel free and it might cause me to change my mind about him.

My guess would be it's partly the simple fact that he's just really a name. No one ever conclusively found out who he is, and few portrayals of him agree particularly, so any such character added would pretty much have to be made from scratch, rather than being an amusing and/or fond reference, really?

Heliomance
2010-07-01, 10:27 AM
There's Spring-Heeled Jack as well

Darkxarth
2010-07-01, 12:52 PM
My guess would be it's partly the simple fact that he's just really a name. No one ever conclusively found out who he is, and few portrayals of him agree particularly, so any such character added would pretty much have to be made from scratch, rather than being an amusing and/or fond reference, really?

That's probably it. I don't mind altering information I already have (see Alice, Wendy, etc.) but just making stuff up with nothing to go on is not what I want to do. There are other games and campaign ideas for that, but for this one I want PCs and major NPCs to be based on literary characters (or interesting historical figures).

There's Spring-Heeled Jack as well

There is barely more information on Spring-Heeled Jack than there is on Jack the Ripper. Although it could make an acceptable "sidequest" from whatever the main plot would be.

Thinker
2010-07-01, 01:40 PM
You're having problems with Asian literature appropriate to the time period? Botchan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botchan) is excellent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_literature#Modern_literature_.281868.E2.8 0.931945.29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_literature#Late_Qing_.281895-1911.29

You also seem to be avoiding Rudyard Kipling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudyard_Kipling) for some reason, who is very period appropriate.

White_North
2010-07-01, 02:04 PM
Has Hemingway been mentioned yet? Because a young Hemingway would possibly be the most awesome thing in there.

Darkxarth
2010-07-01, 02:16 PM
Has Hemingway been mentioned yet? Because a young Hemingway would possibly be the most awesome thing in there.

I am not a big Hemingway fan, so I don't particularly intend to include him as a character. I'd like to avoid including authors as characters, since that runs the possibility of having an author and his/her character in the same world.

You also seem to be avoiding Rudyard Kipling for some reason, who is very period appropriate.

I am not particularly familiar with Rudyard Kipling's works, unfortunately, so Mowgli from The Jungle Book is the only one I know. Are there any other characters that would make good PCs or NPCs?

Also, thanks for the Asian literature links. :smallsmile:

Thinker
2010-07-01, 02:56 PM
I am not particularly familiar with Rudyard Kipling's works, unfortunately, so Mowgli from The Jungle Book is the only one I know. Are there any other characters that would make good PCs or NPCs?

Also, thanks for the Asian literature links. :smallsmile:

Aside from himself being semi-legendary, Kipling's Jungle Book didn't end in quite the same way as Disney would have you believe.
The family that took Mowgli in was killed by the villagers and so Mowgli asked his animal friends to ransack and destroy the village and then returned to the forest. He wasn't evil, simply misunderstood.
Kipling took his inspiration from works from India and so many of his characters have clear associations with other Indian characters.

Captains Courageous's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captains_Courageous) Harvey Cheyne could work since it would have been over a decade since his adventures across the US. He's wealthy and well-traveled so he could serve as a backer type.
Kim's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_(novel)) main character is an orphaned, foreigner vagabond living in India who trains under a Tibetan lama before being put through traditional English schooling and eventually becomes a spy. He fights Russians and travels the wilderness. The ending never says what became of him, whether he continued his nationalist schooling, his mystic path, or both. He'd be my favorite to join your new league.

Another thought is to look at post-Civil War/American Expansion literature and use some characters from there as older, semi-retired characters (similar to your Butch Cassidy idea).

Also, Wikipedia lets you look at categories. May I suggest these?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1901_novels
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1902_novels
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1903_novels
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1904_novels
etc.

Darkxarth
2010-07-02, 03:29 PM
I have decided on an almost final roster of PCs.

Alice (Alice in Wonderland): 19-year-old girl
Her parents placed her in a sanitarium when she was 14. The crown pulled her out 5 years later after someone realized that the laws of physics didn't always apply when she was around.

Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins): Governess of indeterminate age
Ms. Poppins comes and goes when she feels she is needed. She arrived just as the League was forming and offered her services.

Dr. John Watson (The Adventure of the Final Problem): Adventurous doctor in his 50s
Dr. Watson was the companion of the famous detective Sherlock Holmes until his fatal fall from Reichenbach Falls. Since then, he has been keeping up his practice, with rare interludes to help close friends with mysterious happenings. He did not object when asked to lead a team of 'extraordinary gentlemen' on a top-secret mission for the crown.

Nikola Tesla (Real Life): 53-year-old scientist
Although America refused to provide Tesla with the necessary funds to expand his work, the British crown was more than willing to do so.

Tarzan (Tarzan of the Apes): 30ish jungle lord
Found by British agents in the jungles of Africa, Tarzan was recruited into the League after his wife and tribe were killed by a group of strange occultists (who have since met their demise).

Phileas Fogg (Around the World in 80 Days): 40ish gentleman adventurer
After returning from his famous voyage, Fogg expected he would want to live a relaxed life of luxury. However, his travels stirred a sense of adventure in him.

I would like to include Randolph Carter as an expert on the occult, but I am still busy catching up on his stories.

If anyone has any suggestions (particularly regarding Tarzan's motivations) feel free to post them. Thanks again for all of the help so far!

vartan
2010-07-02, 04:51 PM
Put Mark Twain in if Tesla is going to be a character, at least as an NPC. According to wikipedia, they were good friends (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_twain).

See also "The Five Fists of Science" an LXG-like comic about Tesla and Twain saving the world from Marconi, J.P. Morgan, Carnegie, etc.