PDA

View Full Version : (DND 4e) Xorvintall Exarch Powers (PEACH)

AtwasAwamps
2010-06-28, 09:26 AM
So, I'm coming up on a major plot point for my 4e players regarding a rather interesting game of Xorvintaal. There is a good chance they will end up Exarchs, so I thought I would homebrew up some extra powers for them. I'm hoping for some honest assessment on how awful these are, since I've never really homebrewed for 4e before. Each player will have two paths they can choose. The first, posted here, is the first of the Dragonborn Paladin's choices. Thanks for your help ahead of time.

Resolute Exarch – By choosing this path, you choose to devote the powers gained from your draconic master to enhancing your ability to remain upright when a lesser mortal would fall and stand in the way of foes who would seek to pass you.
~Granted Ability – Vigor Unending
-When you lose a healing surge for any reason (spending it, losing it, etc.), you heal your CON modifier in HP. At paragon tier, you heal 2xCON. At epic tier, 3xCON.

RESOLUTE EXARCH POWERS – These powers are granted automatically upon reaching the indicated tier.

HEROIC TIER – BULWARK OF SCALES - Daily
As your enemy strikes you, the power of your patron surges through your veins, mingling with the power of your heritage and making you a true nemesis to any who would seek to challenge you in melee.
Immediate Reaction
Keyword: Divine
Trigger – You are hit by an enemy’s attack and take damage to your HP.
Effect: Spend a healing surge. You gain your CON modifier to AC and Fort saves for CON+3 turns. Any enemy that successfully hits you takes your CON+3 damage of the same type as your Dragonborn breath weapon. All squares adjacent to you are treated as difficult terrain.

PARAGON TIER – CHALLENGE OF THE EXARCH – Daily
It takes a fool to turn their back on a Paladin of Bahamut. It takes a true fool to turn their back on one that has marked them for death.
Immediate Interrupt
Keyword: Divine, Implement, Radiant
Trigger – An enemy marked by either your Divine Sanction or Divine Challenge makes an attack at an ally.
Target: The triggering enemy
Range: Burst 10
Attack: CON vs. Will
Effect: Spend a healing surge. The triggering enemy takes 3d10+CON damage and is knocked prone. The triggering enemy is immobilized until the end of your next turn.

EPIC TIER – WALL OF STEEL AND SCALE - Daily
They…shall…not…PASS!
Standard Action
Keyword: Divine, Implement, Radiant
Range: All enemies within Burst 5
Attack: CON vs. Fort
Spend two healing surges. All affected enemies take 8d8+CON radiant damage, are knocked prone, and immobilized (save ends). After the affected enemies save, they are weakened and slowed (save ends both). If they save against these secondary effects, they take 8d8+CON Radiant damage again.

Krazddndfreek
2010-07-06, 06:51 PM
I'm not sure about this, since I haven't actually started playing 4e, but I think I've read enough to realize that this could unbalance things. Usually you don't just add on powers, they'd need to swap them somehow, like with a feat or maybe just arbitrarily. I'm pretty sure the limit of four encounter and daily powers is intended to be a hard limit. Maybe it would be better to make a paragon path for them? Hopefully someone else will come along and help out, but I'm not sure how much I can do.

Anyway, I always loved Xorvintal in 3.5, hope you guys have fun with it.

Shadow_Elf
2010-07-06, 09:17 PM
I am not familiar with the source material, but in general just giving PCs free powers and traits that are a) not linked into the treasure system and b) not given in lieu of any existing power or trait their posses is not a great idea. I would instead stat these out as items (see Divine Boons, DMG2, for more in-depth tasty bits on this) instead, giving each item a property and a power. Then you can debit them the proportionate treasure later on, and everything is fine and dandy. This ends up sorta being like getting cool magic items on a credit card - they get the goodies earlier (thus making them seem impressive and powerful), but they do not get the equally powerful goodies later on, so in balances things out in the long run. Note: This will still make the players slightly stronger than they should be for their level if the boons are made to match higher-level items, but as long as its not an enhancement bonus slot, this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Hope that helps; in retrospect, it kinda came out as a wall of text, so if you'd like just ignore my ramblings altogether :smallbiggrin:.