PDA

View Full Version : So, Windows 7..

Inhuman Bot
2010-06-28, 12:20 PM
My Dad and I have finally decided that we're going to get Windows 7, and we'll each use one install of it. However, we're not sure if we should get the 32 bit or 64 bit version.

The reason we're not sure is that my Dad plays older games, and doesn't want to use the 64 bit version because we gather that it won't run older games.

On the other hand, if we get the 32 bit version, it won't use all of either of our computer's memory, so things will run slower.

So would anyone who has used Windows 7 feel like trying to sway me one way or the other? Thanks. :smallsmile:

Ichneumon
2010-06-28, 12:22 PM
I've used windows 7 and honestly, except for some cool widgets (such as quickly making a window fill half the screen), I don't think it is that much better than vista.

Detrinex
2010-06-28, 12:24 PM
I use Windows 7 right now (desktop, Home Premium, 64), and it works out fine.

Aside from barring my access to a few unfriendly games, it works out alright.

valadil
2010-06-28, 12:52 PM
The reason we're not sure is that my Dad plays older games, and doesn't want to use the 64 bit version because we gather that it won't run older games.

Have you tried checking how your dad's games run in 64bit win7? From what I've gathered, most work but not all, so if he doesn't play any of the incompatible games, you're golden.

Erloas
2010-06-28, 12:53 PM
Just go with 64bit, there have been no problems that I'm aware of running older games with the 64bit compared to 32bit. The only games I know of that would have problems also have problems running in windows at all.

If you are really worried about it do a search for each of the games and see if there are any known issues, but for the most part the execution of 32bit programs in 64bit Windows is very well handled.

Crispy Dave
2010-06-28, 01:25 PM
I run DOS games on my 64 bit windows 7, as well as other older games. Go with 64 bit it's actually very nice.

Syka
2010-06-28, 01:32 PM
I have Win7 Home Premium 64 bit on my new laptop. I, honestly, don't know the difference between 32 and 64 bit but maybe call a Microsoft guy? If there isn't a price difference, I'd say go with 64 bit. But that is my completely uneducated advice.

I have XP on my old laptop, Vista on my desktop, and 7 on my new laptop. 7 is my favorite thus far, mostly because of the handy snap feature. The feel of it is very similar (but not exactly like) Vista, but that snap feature sold me on it. So far I've used it both for having research in one window and a paper in another, as well as doing work on one (or more windows) on one side and watching the World Cup on the other, lol.

Haruki-kun
2010-06-28, 02:15 PM
Eventually, we're all gonna have to switch to 64 bit, so you might as well make the leap now. It's the next thing.

EDIT: In fact, it's been around for a while, so I might even say it's the current thing.

Reinboom
2010-06-28, 02:19 PM
I have Windows 7 64-bit on my desktop.

Can you provide the name of some of the normal games he plays? I can test them to be sure, for you.

Civ 2 MGE works, I just confirmed that much. :smalltongue:

thubby
2010-06-28, 02:54 PM
64 is usually backwards compatible.

where it's not, there's probably a community that's patched it up.

Mr. Mud
2010-06-28, 02:57 PM
+1 for 64 bit.
Depending on how old the games are, you can use various emulators and such. (see: DOSBOX)

pendell
2010-06-28, 02:57 PM
I thought Windows Vista broke older games designed for XP and DOS? Did Windows 7 re-enable that functionality, or have people found workarounds?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Blayze
2010-06-28, 03:18 PM
There's always things like VirtualPC and DOSBox available for those of us who play older games. Hell, if all else fails he could take a look at Good Old Games to see if they've done a Vista/7-compatible version.

Edit: Also VMWare.

SDF
2010-06-28, 03:24 PM
My friend runs vista 64bit and has had nothing but problems playing old games that my 32bit vista system has no trouble with. It has really been a huge pain for him.

Flickerdart
2010-06-28, 03:46 PM
7 Pro's XP Mode should resolve all compatibility issues.

thubby
2010-06-28, 03:53 PM
7 Pro's XP Mode should resolve all compatibility issues.

^this, times 1,000

i like some older games myself, and I've yet to run into any problems that couldn't be solved from the properties menu.

GolemsVoice
2010-06-28, 04:29 PM
I've heard that Win7 is actually very friendly when it comes to older games, no matter the bit.

Mando Knight
2010-06-28, 06:50 PM
If you've got a 64 bit processor, use 64 bit Windows. If you don't, then use 32 bit Windows. It's pretty much as simple as that.

GusGusStrumSong
2010-06-28, 06:53 PM
If you've got a 64 bit processor, use 64 bit Windows. If you don't, then use 32 bit Windows. It's pretty much as simple as that.

you should be able to find that by going to my computer folder, then Right clicking and selecting "Properties" then it should show up and you can see if its 64bit or 32 bit. it really depends on your computer.

Inhuman Bot
2010-06-30, 10:46 PM

Funny story about that.

We got 64 bit.

We forgot to check this computer.

See, the other 2 computers in the house are 64 bit, so we kinda forgot to check this one.

factotum
2010-07-01, 08:37 AM
You can't seriously be telling me you've got a computer that you play games on that (a) has at least 4Gb of RAM and (b) isn't 64-bit compatible? (If it had 3Gb of RAM or less then there was little point in going 64-bit anyway...).

Inhuman Bot
2010-07-01, 02:29 PM
It's 4 years old now, I think.

So yeah.

Superglucose
2010-07-01, 02:34 PM
I have Win7 Home Premium 64 bit on my new laptop. I, honestly, don't know the difference between 32 and 64 bit but maybe call a Microsoft guy? If there isn't a price difference, I'd say go with 64 bit. But that is my completely uneducated advice.
32 bit vs 64 bit is the difference in the size of the memory address schemes. Basically, what it means is this: Instead of being limited to (iirc) 4 GB of memory, you can have up to (again, iirc) 12 GB of memory that the operating system can recognize.

Most 32 bit programs can be run in a 64 bit environment, but the reverse is not true. If you get Win 7 Pro then you don't have to worry about it at all because it comes with a Win XP virtual machine.

In either case, just get the 64 bit version. In my experience, the backwards compatibility works well.

Desyth
2010-07-01, 02:52 PM
What Super said.

Even with the same hardware configuration, a 64bit os feels snappier to me. Could just be personal bias though.

If you are really worried about having game compatibility issues, you can have 2 partitions and install something like Win98 on there or get a Virtual Machine.

Virtual Box (http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/vboxdownload.html) and Dos Box (http://www.dosbox.com/) are a bit finnicky but free and work decently enough. If you are on a Mac, check out VMWare Fusion. The student license only costs $30 iirc.

factotum
2010-07-01, 03:15 PM
32 bit vs 64 bit is the difference in the size of the memory address schemes. Basically, what it means is this: Instead of being limited to (iirc) 4 GB of memory, you can have up to (again, iirc) 12 GB of memory that the operating system can recognize.

Depends on the OS and various other factors. The *theoretical* amount of memory a 64-bit processor could access is 16 exabytes (that's a little over seventeen billion gigabytes :smallsmile:), but various OSes limit it to more reasonable values--e.g. for Windows 7 the limit is 2Gb for Home Starter, 8Gb for Home Basic, 16Gb Home Premium, and 192Gb for all "higher" versions. Some versions of Windows 2008 Server R2 can address 2Tb of physical RAM, assuming you can find a motherboard that can pack that much in...