PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder, character help please?

Kiyona
2010-06-28, 04:42 PM
Hello all,

I need to have a character ready for play in a few days and unfortunatly I am feeling really uninspired. To create the numbers that is. I am looking forward to actuall playing the game. :smallbiggrin:

I want to play some sort of rogue/sorc hynrid. Or maybe a bard (cause thats really what they are, right?) As far as race, I like the gnomes, and halv-elves in this setting, but humans also works.

What I want to do is to always have a trick up my sleeve. I like having multiple ways to solve situations, so lots of skills, and fun and useful spells. Doing damage comes second to preventing fights, and if that doesnt work, battlefield control.

Normally I come up with a character that I want to play, with backstory and personality and all, and then build the character. But now I seem to come up blank. So, I thought that maybe if you guys could be so nice as to crunch the numbers, I will get the inspiration I need to create the personality and backstory. :smallcool:

Oh, level 7, and 25 point buy.

Thanks a lot in advance! :smallbiggrin:

Mathis
2010-06-28, 04:47 PM
A challenge! What sort of books are allowed? Is your DM allowing 3.5 stuff? Or is this just a Pathfinder strictly game? If you could perhaps convince your DM to allow Complete Adventurer and Complete Scoundrel you can make some really fun to play bards/rogues/sorcerers. The books basically gives you lots of opportunities to be sneaky with new uses for skills and it's skill tricks. I'm playing a supporting character using mostly stuff from those books in Pathfinder now and I'm loving it. Could give you a look at the characterbuild I'm using as a rogue if you are interested.

Eldariel
2010-06-28, 04:48 PM
That's easy: Beguiler 7! Done. It's Int-based but spontaneous caster anyways which is (I think) what you wish of Sorcerer, with Rogue-like skill list, 6+Int skillpoints and spell list focused on enchantment and illusion; that is, jedi mindtricks and when that fails, disabling opponents and boosting allies rather than dealing damage.

Beguiler is in Player's Handbook II and is a rather easy class to play thanks to having a ready spell list that it knows in its entirety; no need to worry about choosing your spells on level-ups, thinking what to prepare or any such. And it's still very good for all intents and purposes. Max Int, pick some Dex, Con and Cha and go to town. Whisper Gnome [Races of Stone] is a great Beguiler, as is the traditional Rock Gnome. Rock Gnome can go Shadowcraft Mage [Races of Stone] to great effect but that may be more, and different power than what you want.

AtopTheMountain
2010-06-28, 06:33 PM
If you're allowed 3.5 stuff, then I second Beguiler. Otherwise, you'll have to come up with a good balance of Rogue and Sorcerer/Wizard, or maybe Bard, that fits your concept.

Kiyona
2010-06-29, 02:08 AM
Thanks for all the fast responses. =)

Only pathfinder is allowed I think, and only the core rulebook.
So no beguiler unfortunatly. Maybe I could convince DM to let me pick a few feats from complete scoundrel, but I dont think so. He has talked a lot about how balanced pathfinder is versus 3.5 so I dont think he would like 3.5 elements. But I can certainly try. ^^

Kaiyanwang
2010-06-29, 04:01 AM
Not every part of 3.5 is unbalanced - beguiler is a fun, nice, versatile class.

Said this, in PF core there are Bard and Arcane Trickster (rogue +sorcerer access).. quoting Scott Walker..

Which one would you choose to be?

Paul H
2010-06-29, 04:11 AM
Hi

What about a Bard/Dragon Disciple mix?

Gnome Bard 5 Drag Disc 2 (Brass Dragon)

Str 10 Dex 14 Con 16 Int 12 Wis 10 Cha 20
(Includes Racial & 4th lvl stat increase, plus the +2 Str for DD lvl 2)

BAB +4
Saves F 5 R 7 W 5
HP 8+4D8+2D12+21+5+Toughness (75HP)?

Feats:
1) Toughness
3) SF Conjuration
5) Dodge
7) Extra performance
Bonus: Eschew Mats, Improved Initiative.

Spells Known:
0) Read Magic, Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Mending, Light, Message, Flare
1) Cure Lt Wnds, Fthr Fall, Grease, Silent Image
2) Glitterdust, Eagle's Splendour, Hold Person, Cure Mod Wnds

5th Lvl Bard Abilities

Dragon Disciple also grants extra Spells/Feats/Abilities as if you had Draconic source Sorceror. Includes +2 Nat Armor

You'll eventually gain better Nat Armour, more spells/feats, shift into Dragon Form, etc.

Thanks Paul H