PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an Inexpensive Laptop: Recommendations?

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-06-28, 06:54 PM
I am reaching a point where it would be very helpful for me to get a laptop computer. Unfortunately, my budget is rather limited, so it would have to be rather inexpensive. I’m not very fond of Microsoft, so I want something on which I’ll use Linux (probably Ubuntu). If I can save money by getting a laptop that doesn’t come with Windows pre-installed would, then, be a very good idea. Unfortunately, my only real computer-buying experience thus-far has been with Apple computers, so I’d appreciate hearing from other people on this.

My primary needs from a new laptop would be accessing the Internet, editing HTML and PHP webpages, and using GIMP and Inkscape.

So far, one source for an inexensive Linux laptop that I’ve discovered is AVADirect (http://notebooks.avadirect.com/Notebooks). It’s got some of the best prices I’ve seen. AVADirect appears to get good ratings on various review sites, though there are a few very outspoken critics. Does anyone have any experience with AVA or any of their options?

Other than that, does anyone have any solid recommendations for other places I should check out? I look forward to any input anyone may have on this.

lesser_minion
2010-06-28, 06:58 PM
I'm pretty sure quite a few places pre-install Linux (or at least let you leave the OS out).

Dell certainly do, although I've heard less-than-positive things about them.

I believe Acer and Asus do as well.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-06-28, 07:16 PM
Dell certainly do, although I've heard less-than-positive things about them.
Yeah, definitely avoiding Dell.

I believe Acer and Asus do as well.
I’ll take a look at them.

Mustiado
2010-06-28, 09:02 PM
I don't have any thing specific to point to, but ACER makes an excellent product usually on the cheap. I'd look to them first.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-06-28, 10:41 PM
What are you looking to use the computer for. If it's just web and email, a netbook (which are definitely on the inexpensive side) are probably your best bet.

lesser_minion
2010-06-29, 05:50 AM
What are you looking to use the computer for. If it's just web and email, a netbook (which are definitely on the inexpensive side) are probably your best bet.

My primary needs from a new laptop would be accessing the Internet, editing HTML and PHP webpages, and using GIMP and Inkscape.

Graphics editing will need something a little bit more hardcore than a netbook, I believe (especially considering that you'd be stuck with a 7" screen).

Eadin
2010-06-29, 08:12 AM
I have a Dell, works just fine...
can even handle 'big' games like Dragon age ...
Acer is good too

Ichneumon
2010-06-29, 08:45 AM
I thought you're able to buy (at least through the online-shop) certain Dell laptops with only a version of ubuntu, so that would be something you're looking for.

I also believe many netbooks come with a version of ubuntu, of course a netbook might not be what you're looking for, as mentioned earlier.

lesser_minion
2010-06-29, 09:44 AM
If you're going Linux and you aren't somewhere around kernel dev level, you might want to try and ensure that you have Linux pre-installed -- that saves you the hassle that drivers can sometimes entail.

Ichneumon
2010-06-29, 11:31 AM
Alright, doing some searching, this was the cheapest non-netbook ubuntu laptop I could find: http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/laptop-inspiron-1545/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-inspiron-1545&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~linux_2~~

Now, it still is quite expensive, although I think it about as cheap as you can get with a "real" laptop. Personally, I'd try to find a 13" screen laptop, but I couldn't find one, that might decrease the price even further.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-06-29, 03:32 PM
Now, it still is quite expensive, although I think it about as cheap as you can get with a "real" laptop.
Actually, I could make that fit in my budget.

I’m just a bit wary of going with Dell, given their reputation with regards to customer service. This would be my first time using Linux since college, so if there’s a problem and I need help I can get it without a big headache on the side.

FinalJustice
2010-06-30, 01:45 AM
I only hear good things about Acer from my Computer Science colleagues who own them. I do not have one (went for a Mac), but smarter people than me recommended them, so I pass on this recommendation confortably. ;)

lesser_minion
2010-06-30, 02:16 AM
From what I can tell, Acer are, in the very least, decent.

Actual comments I've heard have been varied -- as far as I'm aware, not all companies necessarily keep their customer support in-house, so any horror stories you've heard might not translate.

However, Dell do introduce a not-insignificant quantity of shovelware onto their computers.

LCR
2010-06-30, 05:52 AM
Actually, I could make that fit in my budget.

I’m just a bit wary of going with Dell, given their reputation with regards to customer service. This would be my first time using Linux since college, so if there’s a problem and I need help I can get it without a big headache on the side.

I've had a Dell desktop for close to eight years now and the one time I've actually had a problem with it, customer service was VERY helpful and express-mailed the spare part to me in no time.

Eadin
2010-06-30, 06:39 AM
I have a Dell, and costumer service has always been very helpfull , I received a new battery within the week when the old one died

nightwyrm
2010-06-30, 12:35 PM
Personally, I find Acer machines to be very decent and economical. My last Acer lasted me for about 6 yrs and my current AS7740G (core i5) only cost me $750 cdn. I'm sure you can find core 2 duos or maybe even i3s at around $500 mark.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-06-30, 03:14 PM
I’m having a hell of a time finding good info on Acer Linux laptops. The Acer website doesn’t seem to make any mention of it. Even their page on the Aspire One (http://us.acer.com/showrooms/aspireone/?utm_source=Homepage&utm_medium=Banner&utm_campaign=AspireOne), which is supposedly the Linux-friendly version, only ever mentions Windows. Furthermore, a search for “Acer Laptops Linux preinstalled” (https://ssl.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/nbbwssl.cgi) yields a less-than-flattering review (http://constc.blogspot.com/2007/10/linux-preinstalled-on-acer-laptops-scam.html) as its first result.

In general, it also seems that a lot of the major, usually-Windows manufacturers really only offer Linux in netbooks and servers. I really can’t seem to find anyone that offers what I want in my budget range other than Dell or AVADirect, and, as I said, I’m rather wary about Dell.

factotum
2010-06-30, 03:17 PM
Dell support for hardware issues is fine, once you get past the first line support dude's checklist of pointless things to try (have you restarted it, etc). If you want support for the installed OS, and you're going Ubuntu, then online forums and HOWTOs are probably a better bet in any case!

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-07-01, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the help, everyone. In the end, though, I found a really good deal on a refurbished MacBook Pro with a configuration very close to what I was looking for in a brand new one to begin with. I decided I could dig deep enough for this anyway. It’s quite a bit more expensive than what I had when I started this thread, but I think I’ll get a lot more out of it.

factotum
2010-07-02, 01:32 AM
Yugh, Apple. *spurns Shhalahr* :smallwink:

lesser_minion
2010-07-02, 06:53 AM
Nicely remembered.

I completely forgot to look into refurbished systems.

Ichneumon
2010-07-02, 08:00 AM
Apple's always a good choice, when you can afford it. Nice to hear you found what you need. Good luck with it.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-07-03, 10:24 AM
I completely forgot to look into refurbished systems.
Yeah. I didn’t think of that too much myself, even though the MacBook was what I really wanted, because last time I looked at their refurbished items (a long time ago), there wasn’t much available, and the prices weren’t quite as good. But, hey, things change. Sometimes for the better. :smallsmile: