PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Unknown, but Awesome Magic Items

Wonton
2010-06-28, 09:36 PM
Inspired by these (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155517) two (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155999) threads...

What are some magic items that people generally overlook that are nevertheless totally awesome for their price?

To start us off:

Healing Belt, MIC. For the price of a potion of Cure Serious Wounds, you get more healing than said potion, every day. Sure, it's far from unknown, but I put it here on the off chance that someone who hadn't heard of it would read this and be enlightened.

Cloak of Elemental Protection, MIC. The effect isn't exactly overwhelming - resistance 10 to an element of your choice for one round, as an Immediate Action, 1/day. But it still offers some nice flexibility for only 1000 gp.

PId6
2010-06-28, 09:44 PM
Feathered Wings graft (Fiend Folio)

Gives you a pretty fast fly speed with unlimited duration for only 10,000 gp, which is significantly cheaper than all other such items. It's also slotless, and is, best of all, completely nonmagical, so it works in AMFs and can't be dispelled. The downside is that for good/neutral characters, this will slowly drive you evil and/or insane. Small price to pay for relevance on martial characters though.

Wonton
2010-06-28, 09:48 PM
The downside is that for good/neutral characters, this will slowly drive you evil and/or insane.

This is about where I did a spit-take. I don't know about your DM, but with mine, the moment I mentioned that, his eyes would light up with a demonic glow, and he would probably start madly cackling. :smallannoyed:

Zaq
2010-06-28, 09:49 PM
First, a bit of word rage: You're missing an n in the title. You should fix that. Like, now.

Anyway, I nominate the Stormfire Ring, from MIC. It's tucked away in the magic item sets chapter, so a lot of people miss it. Faerie Fire 5/day is worth 4k, in my book, and the fact that it does a very small but unavoidable bit of damage on top is kind of nice.

PId6
2010-06-28, 09:51 PM
This is about where I did a spit-take. I don't know about your DM, but with mine, the moment I mentioned that, his eyes would light up with a demonic glow, and he would probably start madly cackling. :smallannoyed:
Yeah, evil gets all the nice things. SO JOIN US!!! :belkar: :xykon: :sabine: :miko: :amused:

(We have cookies!)

The-Mage-King
2010-06-28, 09:52 PM
Not magical, but... Aboleth Slime. 20 gp, ranged touch attack, and your target needs to make a DC 18 Fort save to not be unable to breaath air for three hours. And it only weighs a pound per use.

The Shadowmind
2010-06-28, 09:56 PM
Another, not quite magic item is Shape Sand [Sandstorm], it is a swiss army knife with more functions limited by imaginative you can get. Able to become any non-magic item of equal size with just a DC 16 wisdom check, and maintains its form as long as you are within 100ft.

Doc Roc
2010-06-28, 09:57 PM
Hank's Bow
The Griffin Shield
The Hat of Many Spells

Glyphseals
Crystal mask of visual acuity
Blindfold of True Darkness

There are rules for it, and the item is so useful that we waive that aspect in the ToS. It's very easy to reliably prevent it from engaging in crazy making.

PId6
2010-06-28, 10:01 PM
Mustn't forget to mention:

Collar of Perpetual Attendance (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c)

For a mere 2000 gp, you get at-will use of Unseen Servant. Besides the obvious uses in housework and mundane tasks, you can use it to activate traps, open doors, pour disgusting liquids on enemies, and unleash the awesomeness of marbles on them.

gallagher
2010-06-28, 10:07 PM
survivors pouch, i think it is called, from MIC, which most people who know of it only remember it for the couple of donkeys taht you can get per day. they often forget that you can get rations, a tent, a couple of torches, and a few tools if i recall (AFB)

and i cant tell you how many people i know who forget to get one in a game when they start at at least level 8. they just assume that the party fighter is gonna buy that stuff, since they can carry everything and dont have to buy wands and scrolls

on that note, i had to tell a guy who has been playing 3.5 since it has been out who normally played martial characters what strongarm bracers were

Wonton
2010-06-28, 10:07 PM
Not magical, but... Aboleth Slime. 20 gp, ranged touch attack, and your target needs to make a DC 18 Fort save to not be unable to breaath air for three hours. And it only weighs a pound per use.

Another, not quite magic item is Shape Sand [Sandstorm], it is a swiss army knife with more functions limited by imaginative you can get. Able to become any non-magic item of equal size with just a DC 16 wisdom check, and maintains its form as long as you are within 100ft.

Due to it having been QUITE thoroughly discussed in that "Handy Haversack/Item Handbook" thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101), let's stay away from mundane items.

First, a bit of word rage: You're missing an n in the title. You should fix that. Like, now.

I blame my keyboard. Keys don't always press when I press them. :smallfrown:

gallagher
2010-06-28, 10:11 PM
Mustn't forget to mention:

Collar of Perpetual Attendance (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c)

For a mere 2000 gp, you get at-will use of Unseen Servant. Besides the obvious uses in housework and mundane tasks, you can use it to activate traps, open doors, pour disgusting liquids on enemies, and unleash the awesomeness of marbles on them.

on the note of collars, collar of umbral metamorphosis. dark template for 10 min a day for 10 k, the more expensive one is unlimited use. i would gladly pay 20k for the dark template instead of having to have the LA.

oh, and i almost forgot, Gloves of the Master Strategist gives you truestrike once per day, and also act as gloves of storing for less than 4k

gallagher
2010-06-28, 10:14 PM
i must admit, Bunko (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872102/Bunkos_Bargain_Basement:_Magic_Items_That_Are_a_St eal!)knows where the real deal on awesome magical items are.

seriously, everyone who plays DnD should read that if they havent already. i know it is already a bit popular, but just like what the OP did originally, i am posting it in case someone hasnt read it yet

SurlySeraph
2010-06-28, 10:16 PM
Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis
For 10,800 gp, you get the Dark template for 10 min/day. Meaning Hide in Plain Sight, great stealth boosts, faster movement, and more. For... double the price, I think?... you can get an all-day version.

Also, relevant thread. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=350.0)

EDIT: Thoroughly swordsage'd.

Wonton
2010-06-28, 10:17 PM
Following up with more gloves...

Gloves of Fortunate Striking, MIC - Rerolls are very awesome and usually, very expensive. Here's one item that isn't, at 2000 gp. The 1 reroll/day that it allows is perfect for, say, a wizard - if you've only prepared 4 ray spells, you would really hate to roll a 2 on that d20.

gallagher
2010-06-28, 10:17 PM
Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis
For 10,800 gp, you get the Dark template for 10 min/day. Meaning Hide in Plain Sight, great stealth boosts, faster movement, and more. For... double the price, I think?... you can get an all-day version.

Also, relevant thread. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=350.0)

EDIT: Thoroughly swordsage'd.thats the first time on this board that i have been the swordsage. does that make me a level 1 swordsage?

HunterOfJello
2010-06-28, 10:20 PM
I'm not sure which items are well known or not, so I'll just state some of my favorites. I love grabbing low-cost items that can be used often and increase my character's options or adaptability.

Gloves of the Starry Sky (MIC) are a definite favorite. You can convert 1st level or higher spells into Magic Missle 3 times per day at your own caster level. These are an item that work great at low and high levels.

Amulet of Retributive Healing is a gem.

Amber amulet of vermin, Giant Bee is an amazing source for a distraction, can be used 1/day and only costs 500 gp.

Blessed bandage should be known by everyone in the universe. It's sad that such an inexpensive item almost completely replaces the need for a whole skill.

Level-0 Wands. I love level 0 wands sooooooooo much. Prestidigitation, Create Water, Detect Magic. All the players I've played with have ignored the power of being able to use level 0 spells as often as they liked.

Wand Chamber (Dungeonscape). I love using this with prestidigitation to confuse people as I change the colors of things by pointing by Dwarven Waraxe at them. It also works great with the lvl 1 spell that creates a 5ftx5ftx5ft block of wood. Dungeonscape also offers the:

Collapsible Pole
Rubber ball
Periscope, hand (look around corners without having to do a hide check)
Flour pouch x50

Riding Dogs are great.

Climb Dogs are amazing watchdogs.

AslanCross
2010-06-28, 10:21 PM
Healing Belt, MIC. For the price of a potion of Cure Serious Wounds, you get more healing than said potion, every day. Sure, it's far from unknown, but I put it here on the off chance that someone who hadn't heard of it would read this and be enlightened.

The Healing Belt is actually mentioned a lot as far as I can remember. Everyone in my recently-concluded game had one equipped. Saved their lives countless times.

One really useful item IMO:

Survival Pouch (MIC)
While the food, the mule and the shortbow are clearly useful, the campfire can be used in a lot of very creative ways.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-28, 10:24 PM
Everlasting rations are a purchase for every one of my characters. They are hella cheap and mean I never have to buy food (or make a survival roll for it) again.

Brute ring is another of my favorites. 3/day, bull rush someone within 30', using a +5 or your own mod, whichever is higher. Hellooooooo dungeoncrasher.

Rock boots: 3/day, 15' cone effect of save-or-prone, also gives you +4 stability (stacking if you're already a dwarf), and also gives you 10 nonconsecutive rounds a day of movement over difficult terrain.

gallagher
2010-06-28, 10:37 PM
Everlasting rations are a purchase for every one of my characters. They are hella cheap and mean I never have to buy food (or make a survival roll for it) again.

Brute ring is another of my favorites. 3/day, bull rush someone within 30', using a +5 or your own mod, whichever is higher. Hellooooooo dungeoncrasher.

Rock boots: 3/day, 15' cone effect of save-or-prone, also gives you +4 stability (stacking if you're already a dwarf), and also gives you 10 nonconsecutive rounds a day of movement over difficult terrain.where can i find these rations?

PId6
2010-06-28, 10:40 PM
where can i find these rations?
Where else? Magic Item Compendium.

I'd suggest the Everfull Mug to go with it. Much cheaper than Replenishing Skin.

Hague
2010-06-28, 10:41 PM
Metalline Bow. Having trouble figuring out whether or not that suspicious energy-draining winged female outsider is a devil or demon? Worry no more, a metalline weapon can be switched between silver, adamantine, or cold iron with a free action.

Not sure if this is possible, but if you carry two Scepters of the Netherworld, you effectively gain 6 levels to your turn or rebuke attempts. Take that, big ugly undead Boss Monster.

Talisman of the Disk is a nice item too. It basically lets you create a Tenser's Floating Disk at will. Despite its name, it's a held item so fewer worries there. Great for hauling out valuables that are typically too heavy to carry regularly, like that fancy tapestry you specifically avoided torching with that fireball, right?

An underrated item, the Glory Hand, lets you wear a third ring, combined with the right feats, you can wear enough Rings of Wizardry to make you one heavily-spelled arcane spell-caster. (Do the effects of a Ring of Wizardry stack? If I wear 2 rings of Wizardry IV, do I get double, triple, or quadruple the spells?)

Tavar
2010-06-28, 10:46 PM
Metalline Bow. Having trouble figuring out whether or not that suspicious energy-draining winged female outsider is a devil or demon? Worry no more, a metalline weapon can be switched between silver, adamantine, or cold iron with a free action.
I don't think that works. For bows, you need to have ammunition of the type to pass DR, and I don't think Metalline bestows such a property on it's ammunition.

Wonton
2010-06-28, 10:46 PM
Where else? Magic Item Compendium.

I'd suggest the Everfull Mug to go with it. Much cheaper than Replenishing Skin.

Also gives you the classic sci-fi thing where you've been eating artificially created food (which tastes like crap) for a while, so a real meal makes it seem like you're in heaven. (See episode 1 of Firefly)

The Shadowmind
2010-06-28, 10:49 PM
where can i find these rations?
Magic Item Compendium, pg 160.

PId6
2010-06-28, 10:52 PM
(See episode 1 of Firefly)
(And then see the rest of them, because it's that awesome.)

Hague
2010-06-28, 10:56 PM
Oh yup, you're right. Metalline bows don't bestow the effect on the ammo. Dang. Okay, but metalline is still nice for non-projectile weapons too. (I doubt it's worth the cost to stock up on metalline arrows as opposed to the individual metal arrows alone.)

HunterOfJello
2010-06-29, 01:10 AM
Elvencraft Bows are also a favorite of mine

you can use a Elvencraft Longbow as a staff at close range and an Elvencraft Shortbow as a club at close range. this removes the need to switch between weapons for doing AoO and quick melee attacks

Eldariel
2010-06-29, 01:15 AM
Elvencraft Bows are also a favorite of mine

you can use a Elvencraft Longbow as a staff at close range and an Elvencraft Shortbow as a club at close range. this removes the need to switch between weapons for doing AoO and quick melee attacks

More importantly, you can use Wall of Blades with the Staff while shooting TSS RM full attacks with your Greatbow :smallbiggrin:

Draz74
2010-06-29, 02:03 AM
I'll go ahead and mention the +1 Shuriken of Warning again, just because it makes me laugh every time I ponder it. +5 insight to initiative, for 160 gp? Wow. Just wow.

Plenty of fun abuse to do with ammunition, though. +1 Manifester Shuriken would be even more broken than +1 Shuriken of Warning, if only PsyWarriors didn't need it so badly. :smallamused: +1 Parrying Shuriken? +1 to all saves and to AC, for 360 gp? Or +1 Greater Dispelling Arrows, or +1 Illusion Bane Arrows, or +1 Binding Arrows, or +1 Stygian Arrows ... the 1/day or 3/day limits on these weapons become much more palatable when you were only planning to use that item once, ever, anyway! :smallcool:

Bad news: Everfull Mug doesn't generate a healthy daily amount of liquid for even a single creature to consume.

Good news: The Field Provisions box, while six times more expensive than Everlasting Rations, provides food and water ... and with enough to spare to give away to people around you, unless your party keeps a bunch of animals. (In which case, at least they have enough to eat too.) And it's still cheap (2k gp). Giving out free food every day can make you popular in a hurry.

Bad news: As has been discussed, this doesn't work.

Good news: For the same cost, you can just get a Force bow. Overcomes all DR, not just material-based DR. And affects incorporeals normally, as a side benefit. Way better than Metalline.

Other favorites (from MIC unless noted otherwise):

Lots of things from Dungeonscape don't get mentioned as much as they should. For example, some armor and weapon enhancements are way better than similar effects (usually armor/weapon crystals) in MIC, but get ignored because of their more obscure source. Restful Armor is a particular favorite of mine: Same cost as a Restful armor crystal, but also makes you much more likely to pass Listen checks in your sleep, and doesn't use up your Crystal slot.

Rod of Viscid Globs: Tanglefoot Bags are awesome. Entangled is a nasty status condition. But they're surprisingly heavy to carry around, and they get expensive if you use them often. Voila, enter Rod of Viscid Globs. It will pay for itself in 14 days if you use all of its charges, it only weighs 2 lbs., and it automatically launches your "tanglefoot bag" 100 feet with no range penalties, and even acts as a splash weapon for good measure. This is like buying a whole battlefield control class for a few thousand gp.

Rod of Escape: I've seen Eternal Wand (Knock) advocated a few times. This is cheaper, can do all the same things, and has other powers too.

Tome of Worldly Memory: Awesome boost to Knowledge checks for a trivial cost.

Raptor Arrow: a personal favorite. IMO, 6006 gp and a feat is totally worthwhile for +2 attack, +9 damage against everything (1/round) with your archer. The way you now have infinite ammo is just a side bonus.

Greater Blurring Armor: It's expensive, but not so bad as constant 50% miss chances go. But what really makes it excellent is the lack of any "this concealment does not allow you to Hide" clause. That means any stealthy character with the Dark template (naturally, or via Collar) essentially has the good version of Hide in Plain Sight, when used in conjunction with this Armor.

Dark Lantern (ToM): As long as I'm listing awesome Stealth items, throw this into the mix. Makes sure you will always have shadows to hide in with your Hide in Plain Sight, but without disrupting your own sight abilities at all if you have Darkvision. Gets even cooler when combined with another cheap item, the ...

Ring of the Darkhidden: Dirt cheap. Use your Dark Lantern a lot, but get foiled by all those monsters with Darkvision? Now you can laugh at them.

Mithralmist Shirt: Most characters end up with a Mithral Chain Shirt anyway. For just an additional 1300 gp, you can get a 7/day miniature obscuring mist spell on yourself ... as a swift action. And you, the armor wearer, take no penalties from it. Incredible, especially before you can afford Greater Blurring armor.

Novice Ring of the Diamond Mind (ToB): I dare you to find me a caster that shouldn't buy at least one of these. Probably two, especially for a gish.

Easy Travel Armor: Dirt cheap. Lets you carry lots of stuff. Sometimes it's nice not to be completely dependent on extraplanar containers.

Suppression Weapon (XPH): This is absolutely incredible on any psionic character. Especially a gish.

Armor Crystal of Aquatic Action: By far the cheapest magic item for functioning with a non-aquatic race in an aquatic campaign.

Whirling Weapon: Whirlwind Attack sucks because of prerequisite feats, and because you don't really need it that often. But getting 3/day whirlwind attack is a totally awesome (if not needed) enhancement to put on pretty much any slashing reach weapon.

Bow of the Wintermoon: Plenty of reason for any archer to be NG, CG, or CN in alignment. Ignore the relic power; that's not the point. The point is, 1000 gp to have your bow automatically adjust to your Strength bonus at any time. Really should have been a common magic bow property.

Stunshot Sling: Slings aren't very good. But if you're ever going to use one, might as well buy a 3/day stun ability ... with a save DC equal to your attack roll result. A far cry from the typical pitiful Save DCs of magic items.

Lesser Weapon Crystal of Energy Assault: Normally quite a bit cheaper than buying a Flaming/Frost/Shock/Corrosive weapon.

Least Weapon Crystal of Return: Wait, for 300 gp each, I can give myself Quick Draw with my backup weapons? *drools*

Amulet of Wordtwisting: Small bonus to social skills ... insight bonus. Might be worth it anyway on a high-level party face, but where it really shines is on characters who can UMD it to believe that they're orcs, doubling the bonus it gives and granting a tongues spell 1/day.

Belt of Many Pockets (CArc): Ignore the more-often-referenced Belt of Hidden Pouches. It's lame. Most characters are fine with the amount of carrying capacity in a Handy Haversack ... but for real pack-rat characters, the Belt of Many Pockets is a dream come true. Loads of extraplanar storage space, with the Haversack's same quick-draw powers, and stealthy to boot.

Belt of Ultimate Athleticism: Take 10 on all Balance/Climb/Jump/Swim/Tumble checks. For just 3600 gp, that's worth it for any character who relies on Tumble to move around the battlefield ... but it gets really nasty with a character who uses Tiger Claw Jump-based maneuvers.

Boots of Agile Leaping: Stand from prone swiftly without provoking. That's a very situational power, but ... these boots only cost 900 gp ... and that's if you're adding this power to existing magical footgear. You do need 5 ranks of Balance to use this power, but optimized melee characters tend to get that anyway, just to avoid being flat-footed when Greased.

2xMachina
2010-06-29, 02:16 AM

Rock boots: 3/day, 15' cone effect of save-or-prone, also gives you +4 stability (stacking if you're already a dwarf), and also gives you 10 nonconsecutive rounds a day of movement over difficult terrain.

I prefer Ring of Sustenance.

No need food. No need drinks. Need less sleep.

Also, Travel Cloak gives you 3x the food, and hot tea to wash it down.

Draz74
2010-06-29, 02:47 AM

Where's Travel Cloak from?

More favorites (my last post was getting really long):

Dispelling Cord: Every character who uses Dispel might as well pick this up. Dirt cheap.

Gloves of the Balanced Hand: TWF is so feat-intensive. I often don't bother with feats beyond the basic TWF. With these gloves, at least I can pick up one more off-hand attack without spending a feat on it. Too expensive for low levels, but very nice for higher-level melee (especially ToB builds).

Greatreach Bracers: Very nice to combine with a Whirling Weapon. :smallamused: For more fun, check out Reach Gauntlets, too (on a psionic character).

Hand of the Oak Father: Just casting plant growth 1/day would be easily worth the 5k gp price tag -- according to the magic item price guidelines, and also in terms of how much gratitude you can buy from NPCs in a very small amount of time by blessing them with healthy crops for a year! The fact that this item can also cast 5 other spells each day is just icing on the cake. (Most of the other five spells are kind of underwhelming, but nobody will complain about entangle, at least.)

Heartseeking Amulet: One of the better ways for a non-ToB melee character (with a two-handed Power Attack style) to pretend to be awesome.

Mask of Lies: The continuous undetectable alignment effect for such a low cost is the real benefit. The Bluff bonus and disguise self spells are just nice side effects.

Ring of Communication: I see this one discussed sometimes, but not enough for just how awesome it is. Supplement with Sending Stones for emergencies.

Ring of Silent Spells: Another inexpensive staple in the Stealth Kit.

Ring of Spell-Battle: Wow. Owch. Make the BBEG hit himself with Mindrape or somesuch.

Shirt of the Leech: Nothing is more annoying than the BBEG casting heal on himself. Until now.

Silkslick Belt: One of the better (i.e. cheaper) items to wear as a situational defense against getting grappled.

Jumping Caltrops: Decent battlefield control at very low levels (2-4).

Talisman of the Disk: Not great, but extremely cheap, so why not. It's nice that, as opposed to other utility magic items, it's actually a good deal better for the party warrior to pick up than for the casters.

Thorn Pouch: Druidic battlefield control for a mere 4400 gp.

Sandals of the Light Step: 4000 gp is generally considered a pretty fair cost for +10 speed. That means these sandals are letting you spend 5000 gp for ignoring difficult terrain (!), pass without trace, 1/day water walk, and any benefits you get out of combining them with two other (pretty decent) items in the Fleet Warrior's Array set.

Mask of the Tiger: Low-light vision and a free feat for 4000 gp? Nice. (Even if the feat is a noncombat feat with situational usefulness, namely Track.)

2xMachina
2010-06-29, 02:51 AM
Travel Cloak is from Magic of Faerun

jguy
2010-06-29, 03:32 AM
Amber Necklace of Vermin (Huge Monstrous Scorpion): 700 gold and you get a 1/day Huge Monstrous Scorpion for 1 minute. At low levels this can take out entire encounter by itself and is rather functional at mid levels too. Caster too far in the back to get to effectively? Summon it right next to him and have him taste the +21 grapple check!

PId6
2010-06-29, 03:36 AM
Amber Necklace of Vermin (Huge Monstrous Scorpion)
It's been errata'd to Large Monstrous Scorpion instead. Still good, but not broken good.

gorfnab
2010-06-29, 04:13 AM
Ring of Arming - MIC- great for characters with heavy armor
Domain Draught - MIC- useful for high level clerics
Rod of Ropes - CS - Ascension Gun and Link's Hookshot in one handy item
Liquid Sunlight - CS - decent very cheap light source

Wings of Peace
2010-06-29, 04:31 AM
I prefer Ring of Sustenance.

No need food. No need drinks. Need less sleep.

I might do the ever lasting rations and get the everlasting mug as well if I'm feeling cheap. Just because I'd prefer to save the item slots. Though were I in a really spendy mood I'd take the Clear Spindle Ioun Stone.

Ring of Sustenance isn't that expensive mind you and the sleep reduction is nice, I'm just stingy with my item slots.

jseah
2010-06-29, 04:52 AM
What about Ring Gates, Portable Holes and Quintessence? XD
Add Permanent Gust of Wind/Wall of Fire if those count.

Oh, right, you mean use them. Not blow up the world. >.>

Sliver
2010-06-29, 05:05 AM
Greater Blurring Armor: It's expensive, but not so bad as constant 50% miss chances go.

You mean 20%, right? Displacement gives you 50% but it's once per day, and normal blurring armor gives you the same thing as greater blurring, but a 5 round duration 3/day, which is enough.

Heliomance
2010-06-29, 05:07 AM
Starmantle Cape (BoED). Immunity to all non-magical weapons. Non-magical weapons disintegrate when they touch you (natural weapons aren't called out as an exception, hilariously). Getting hit with a magic weapon still entitles you to a DC 15 Ref save to take half damage.

jguy
2010-06-29, 05:07 AM
It's been errata'd to Large Monstrous Scorpion instead. Still good, but not broken good.

Really? What about the Huge Monstrous Centipede?

PId6
2010-06-29, 05:33 AM
Really? What about the Huge Monstrous Centipede?
Centipede's the same, but it's significantly weaker than scorpion. (To compare: Huge Scorpion is CR 7, while Huge Centipede is CR 2.)

Thurbane
2010-06-29, 07:28 AM
Couple of nice items in the ToM:

Tooth of Savnok: 2,000gp for an unslotted item that allows you to move at normal speed when wearing medium or heavy armor. Nice for tanks.

Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis: Gain the Dark Creature template for 10 minutes/day (10,800gp) or continuously (22,000gp).

Fax Celestis
2010-06-29, 10:24 AM
Almost forgot. Counterstrike bracers: 3/day, if someone misses you, spend an immediate action to take an AoO. Great for high-Dex Combat Reflexes-intensive builds, or can get you out of a sticky situation if you have Evasive Reflexes. One of my characters, a rogue, sometimes uses this if his opponent misses on the first swing of a full-attack to buy an AoO, then use Evasive Reflexes to forgo the AoO and instead 5' step back out of threat range.

Redshirt Army
2010-06-29, 11:12 AM
Glove of the Master Strategist: Ghostwalk.

It's like the Gloves of Storing, but with True Strike 1/day, and cheaper.

(Kept it's low cost in the errata.)

mcl01
2010-06-29, 11:26 AM
Sudden Stunning weapon ability from DMGII.

For a static +2000gp cost, you can use a swift action to stun on any successful hit with a level-scaling, Cha-based DC, Cha times per day for 1d4+1 rounds. Tasty. Makes a battle bard, sorc gish, or any CHA-based melee brute even nastier.

Draz74
2010-06-29, 11:49 AM
You mean 20%, right? Displacement gives you 50% but it's once per day, and normal blurring armor gives you the same thing as greater blurring, but a 5 round duration 3/day, which is enough.

Hmmm, yeah, seems I remembered that wrong. That's unfortunate.

Still, compared to a Lesser Cloak of Displacement it's pretty affordable. As long as you didn't intend to put many other plusses on your armor. (Much like Soulfire Armor, which is awesome for its price if that's all you want your armor to do, but gets painfully expensive if you stack it on other armor properties.)

If we're comparing things to lesser Blurring Armor, though, I think the Mithralmist Shirt wins out by a long shot.

Tooth of Savnok: 2,000gp for an unslotted item that allows you to move at normal speed when wearing medium or heavy armor. Nice for tanks.
Unfortunately, it's not unslotted at all. Teeth of Dalver-Nar take up your face slot. Kind of hard to justify combining this with another face-item fluff-wise, too (since there's supposed to be only one of them).

Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis: Gain the Dark Creature template for 10 minutes/day (10,800gp) or continuously (22,000gp).

Already mentioned in this thread. Several times. I think it's lost "unknown" status. :smallwink:

Mr.Bookworm
2010-06-29, 11:55 AM
Starmantle Cape (BoED). Immunity to all non-magical weapons. Non-magical weapons disintegrate when they touch you (natural weapons aren't called out as an exception, hilariously). Getting hit with a magic weapon still entitles you to a DC 15 Ref save to take half damage.

Also known as the "Fun-With-Evasion Cloak", or "Your-Rogue-Dies-No-Save Cloak".

I personally like the Apparatus of the Crab (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#apparatusoftheCrab). It's hellishly expensive and only situationally usable, but the fact that you can buy a magic lobster-submarine in Core gives me warm fuzzies in my heart.

EDIT: I also like the Hand of the Mage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#handoftheMage), both for it's general usefulness limited only by your creativity and your DM, and the fact that you get to have mummified hand hanging on your chest. Probably counts as a masterwork item of Intimidation.

Aharon
2010-06-29, 12:01 PM
Amulet of Transference (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060526a).

Makes the WBL-difference between casters who invested in craft feats and everybody else go away.

The Shadowmind
2010-06-29, 12:34 PM
Unfortunately, it's not unslotted at all. Teeth of Dalver-Nar take up your face slot. Kind of hard to justify combining this with another face-item fluff-wise, too (since there's supposed to be only one of them).

No, the Teeth of Dahlver-Nar are specifically called out in the item description as taking no magic item slots on pg 78 just before effect is written in bold. And there isn't only one tooth, there is one tooth per vestige.

Khellendross
2010-06-29, 01:40 PM
Non magical but nothing saying you can't make a Elvencraft Dragonbow Doublebow. Can fire twice, use it in melee and uses your strength mod no matter what it is so you don't have to worry about getting a bow to match your str score. Find a dm that lets you take rapid reload on the bow instead of on a crossbow(no reason you shouldn't be able to) and boom a nice bow.

Draz74
2010-06-29, 01:44 PM
No, the Teeth of Dahlver-Nar are specifically called out in the item description as taking no magic item slots on pg 78 just before effect is written in bold.
:smallconfused: Right you are ... I could have sworn I've looked that up specifically before.

And there isn't only one tooth, there is one tooth per vestige.

That is indeed what my words were intended to mean, although I suppose I could have added the words "... each of ..." to make it more explicit.

Quirp
2010-06-29, 02:23 PM
I really like the Bow of the Solars (BoED). for just 100.000 and something gp your archer can show the wizard what "spamming SoD`s" really means.

Heliomance
2010-06-29, 03:47 PM
Also known as the "Fun-With-Evasion Cloak", or "Your-Rogue-Dies-No-Save Cloak".

My DM pored over the rules with a fine tooth comb, and eventually ruled that Evasion wouldn't apply due to the wording that "when exposed to an effect that would normally deal half damage on a successful Reflex save..."

He said that the attack wouldn't normally have that property, it was only the cape providing the save, thus Evasion didn't function.

Draz74
2010-06-29, 05:21 PM
My DM pored over the rules with a fine tooth comb, and eventually ruled that Evasion wouldn't apply due to the wording that "when exposed to an effect that would normally deal half damage on a successful Reflex save..."

He said that the attack wouldn't normally have that property, it was only the cape providing the save, thus Evasion didn't function.

I believe the FAQ used about the same justification to rule this tactic out.

Wonton
2010-06-29, 05:50 PM

For a static +2000gp cost, you can use a swift action to stun on any successful hit with a level-scaling, Cha-based DC, Cha times per day for 1d4+1 rounds. Tasty. Makes a battle bard, sorc gish, or any CHA-based melee brute even nastier.

Holy hell... I hope dearly the Bard in our group doesn't find that. :smalleek:

Draz74
2010-06-29, 05:55 PM
Holy hell... I hope dearly the Bard in our group doesn't find that. :smalleek:

Perhaps if he does, you can work out a compromise where he takes the Stunning Surge weapon property from the MIC. It's still good, but not that good (one-round duration, more expensive).

It was, AFAICT, intended to be a nerf of the Sudden Stunning weapon property ... but since they changed the name slightly, technically it doesn't replace the DMG2 version at all. Unless the DM says it does.

balistafreak
2010-06-29, 05:59 PM

Wait, wait, wait. "Charisma-modifier" times a day, or "Charisma" times a day?

The first one is what you seem to be saying and is far scarier than I can comprehend.

1d4+1 rounds of stun, by the gods...

jguy
2010-06-29, 06:19 PM
Yeah, I am getting that on my Sorcerers Scythe

Wonton
2010-06-29, 06:27 PM
Wait, wait, wait. "Charisma-modifier" times a day, or "Charisma" times a day?

The first one is what you seem to be saying and is far scarier than I can comprehend.

1d4+1 rounds of stun, by the gods...

Cha bonus, thankfully. And, yeah. 1d4+1 rounds. Even if it was 1 round, I would still probably say it should be closer to +6,000.

Claudius Maximus
2010-06-29, 08:13 PM
Amulet of Peace from Secrets of Sarlona. Lets you replace your AC with a Diplomacy roll for a round 2/day as an immediate action. 5000 gp. A great buy for anyone with high social skills. The best part is that you can choose to activate it after you learn that the attack hit, so you never waste it.

Retributive Amulet from BoED. Provides a tasty +2 sacred bonus to AC, and whenever you are hit your attacker takes half the damage. This means that you take half damage from all melee attacks. 56k.

wick
2010-06-30, 05:36 AM
Lyre of building (DMG):
CL 6 Wondrous item
13,000 GP

When you think about the amount of gold to build castle, houses forts this item is a bargain. Just 30 minutes of playing is equal to the work of 100 humans laboring for 3 days!

Have a unlockable door in the dungeon? Build a tunnel around it. Need a quick egress from the dungeon? build a shaft to the surface with a staircase. Need a place to rest in the wilderness? Build a fort.

Quite the bargain, just need a talented muscian for everyfull hour of playing but anybody can play for the 1st half hour.

balistafreak
2010-06-30, 06:15 AM
Not sure the Lyre of Building is really "unknown" - it's been used countless times to show the inevitable Tippyverse. Something involving the only other profession possible than Wizard - the Warforged Bard, who 24/7 plays a Lyre to keep his master's fort indestructible. Or build a new fort, whatever.

Also, didn't the Cube revolve around invincibility through a Lyre?

Thurbane
2010-07-02, 03:16 AM
Not so - as per ToM p.78:

"Teeth of Dahlver-Nar do not occupy a magic item body slot."

...and also...

"If you have access to multiple teeth of Dahlver-Nar, you can use as many as you wish simultaneously"

You do, however, automatically show the sign and are under the influence of each vestige associated with an individual tooth.

Cha bonus, thankfully. And, yeah. 1d4+1 rounds. Even if it was 1 round, I would still probably say it should be closer to +6,000.
I'm firmly of the belief that the somewhat overpowered/underpriced Sudden Stunning ability in DMG II was updated as the significantly toned-down Stunning Surge in the MIC...no official backup to that, but it strikes me as logical. :smalltongue:

Morithias
2010-07-02, 03:27 AM
Belt of the Mighty, or something like that from the minature's handbook. It's a paladin's best friend.

25k..+2 to all 6 abilities, 100k for +4, 200k for +6 to all ability scores.

gorfnab
2010-07-02, 03:56 AM
Belt of the Mighty, or something like that from the minature's handbook. It's a paladin's best friend.

25k..+2 to all 6 abilities, 100k for +4, 200k for +6 to all ability scores.
Belt of Magnificence - very nice since it frees up so many item slots

Morithias
2010-07-02, 03:59 AM

That's the one. Thank you very much.

Tytalus
2010-07-02, 07:35 AM
I very much enjoy the versatility (and power) of Spellguard Rings [CM]. The ability to have an ally become immune by spells you cast (why, hello Mr. Solid Fog / Black Tentacles / Maw of Chaos!) is priceless.

Belt of Ultimate Athleticism: Take 10 on all Balance/Climb/Jump/Swim/Tumble checks. For just 3600 gp, that's worth it for any character who relies on Tumble to move around the battlefield ... but it gets really nasty with a character who uses Tiger Claw Jump-based maneuvers.

The ability to 1/day take 20 on any of those checks makes it great for any character. Got cornered and need to move? Just tumble away!

Gloves of the Balanced Hand: TWF is so feat-intensive. I often don't bother with feats beyond the basic TWF. With these gloves, at least I can pick up one more off-hand attack without spending a feat on it. Too expensive for low levels, but very nice for higher-level melee (especially ToB builds).

The real kicker is that you don't even have to meet the ridiculously high DEX prerequisites of the relevant TWF feats to gain the benefits.

2xMachina
2010-07-02, 07:44 AM

MIC lets stat bonus stack on normal items without cost increase.

All it does is make the +6 version give a small discount. The rest has a markup.

hamishspence
2010-07-02, 07:45 AM
MIC does require the bonuses to "belong" with the item though.

+6 to all stats, on the same item? I'm not sure if MIC alone would allow this- if you don't have Miniatures Handbook.

2xMachina
2010-07-02, 08:07 AM
You can't pack it all in 1, but it also does not take up magic item slots.

Gloves of Storing +6 Dex,
Amulet of Etc +6 Wis
Helmet of Etc +6 Int

Achieves the same thing, as a Belt of Mag. and Gloves of storing, amulet of etc, helmet of etc...

In fact, it saves you 1 slot. The belt slot.

hamishspence
2010-07-02, 08:17 AM
In the 3.0 book Lords Of Darkness- the lich Larloch has ioun stones that grant +6 bonuses to various stats.

Much better than standard ioun stones, and like them take up no slots.
Following the item creation rules though, they'd cost a lot.

Heliomance
2010-07-02, 08:21 AM

Generaly not worth it. How many builds actually need +6 to all their ability scores?

2xMachina
2010-07-02, 08:34 AM
It is fun lol.

Drascin
2010-07-02, 08:35 AM
Generaly not worth it. How many builds actually need +6 to all their ability scores?

Monks? They need everything but Cha, after all...

Thurbane
2010-07-02, 08:56 AM
Gestalt Monk/Warmage! :smalltongue:

Eldariel
2010-07-02, 09:23 AM

Also, don't forget the MiC rules for adding boosts to other items for free; back when you had to buy ability enhancers separately as specific items, Belt of Magnificence was basically the only way to stop them from hogging all your slots. With MiC rules fixing that slight piece of idiocy in the design, the Belt is sorta out of a job.

2xMachina
2010-07-02, 11:11 AM
It does give a small discount for the +6 though. About 16k worth.

(The other 2 weaker ones are more expensive though)

Draz74
2010-07-02, 11:42 AM
It does give a small discount for the +6 though. About 16k worth.

Yeah, but that discount is less than the amount you'd get back by dropping just one ability score down to a +4 (with MIC rules).

I can't think of any (non-Gestalt) character that really cares about all 6 scores enough to boost them all +6. Even weird things like a Paladin with Knowledge Devotion (probably will be ok with DEX +4 instead of +6).