PDA

View Full Version : Is there a feat to improve BAB? (3.5)

surfing.turtle
2010-06-28, 10:17 PM
I want to know id there is a feat to improve BAB, because I'm trying to make it to a Bear Warrior before Lvl 7 (barb half orc), and I would like to improve my bab to a +7, because that is the requirement.

Any help? Please and Thanks!

Shpadoinkle
2010-06-28, 10:25 PM
No, there isn't.

blueblade
2010-06-28, 10:26 PM
The B(ase) in BAB should suggest no to you. You can get attack bonuses, but never additional BAB, because that is meant as your baseline. Any PrC which uses BAB is specifically designed around specifying a minimum level for entry, and should be treated as such.

You might find the barbarian handbook useful for some ideas on what else you can do with your class while you wait:
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2502.0

surfing.turtle
2010-06-28, 11:31 PM
Thanks, bummer...

Temotei
2010-06-28, 11:37 PM
There was a homebrew feat that raised your base attack bonus by one, but raising BAB is always a bad idea with a feat. I recommend against using it.

Eurus
2010-06-29, 12:38 AM
Yeah. I don't think anyone wants to see a human fighter with two flaws taking a PrC with a BAB requirement four levels early.

Temotei
2010-06-29, 12:48 AM
Yeah. I don't think anyone wants to see a human fighter with two flaws taking a PrC with a BAB requirement four levels early.

I think it was a general feat, but your point still stands.

Agh, I feel like I should hunt for it, but I'm not going to. It's just not a good idea.

Eurus
2010-06-29, 12:51 AM
I think it was a general feat, but your point still stands.

Agh, I feel like I should hunt for it, but I'm not going to. It's just not a good idea.

Oh, I was assuming that. Human feat + two flaw feats + normal 1st level feat. Fighter was just picked at random for being full BAB. If it is a fighter feat, you could have BAB +8 at level 2. :smalleek:

...Although. Spellcasters get loads of early-entry tricks. (Earth Sense, Heighten Spell, Earth Spell, Versatile Spellcaster means 3rd level spells at 1st level, and that's one of the less efficient ways). Now I'm wondering if that would actually be such a big deal.

Temotei
2010-06-29, 12:58 AM
Now I'm wondering if that would actually be such a big deal.

Just because one part (albeit a large part) of the game is broken doesn't mean the rest should be to compensate. :smallamused:

Eurus
2010-06-29, 01:07 AM
Just because one part (albeit a large part) of the game is broken doesn't mean the rest should be to compensate. :smallamused:

That's your philosophy. No-save-just-suck effects and immediate-action hard counters for everyone! Down with action economy, up with early entry! :smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2010-06-29, 08:51 AM
Epic Prowess gives you +1 to hit, and stacks with itself.

Its in the Epic Handbook, and Complete Warrior.

However, since it's an epic feat, it won't be much help.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-29, 09:12 AM
I could maybe see a Practiced Warrior type feat, but even that seems dubious.

Mainly, I don't think this is the help to martial types you think it is - I think it helps low-BAB types enter PrCs that require BAB more easily, which is probably a bad thing.

Temotei
2010-06-29, 10:03 AM
Epic Prowess gives you +1 to hit, and stacks with itself.

Its in the Epic Handbook, and Complete Warrior.

However, since it's an epic feat, it won't be much help.

Base attack bonus, not attack bonus.

For Valor
2010-06-29, 10:29 AM
We had a guy who was willing to give up a lot to get a higher BAB, so my DM made a feat that helped him.

I don't remember anything except for the overall idea:

You take your class with the worst BAB progression (you must be playing fractional BAB for this to fly), decrease that progression by 1/4, and add that fraction to your BAB. A pure fighter would have to take 2 of these feats to increase his BAB by 1 (since he gets 3/4) progression, and the feat doesn't count as a fighter bonus feat.

Pure Clerics would increase at 1/2 rate, and Wizards would increase at 1/4.

It's still a bad idea, and flaws + human feats can send the whole thing to Hell.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-06-29, 10:54 AM
I could maybe see a Practiced Warrior type feat, but even that seems dubious.

Mainly, I don't think this is the help to martial types you think it is - I think it helps low-BAB types enter PrCs that require BAB more easily, which is probably a bad thing.

Simple fix: make the prerequisite "Must have a base attack bonus equal to or greater than your character level" and then only the full BAB classes would be able to make use of it.

Ouranos
2010-06-29, 06:52 PM
Problem with a fighter having access to BAB so fast? Simple. Iteratives. Think about it. Fighter could have 3 attacks at lvl 4. Also, because iteratives I don't beleive are actually capped at 4 attacks per round, the BAB just stops growing for most at a certain point, by level 20, this fighter could potentially have, unless my math sucks which it could because this was off the top of my head, 8 attacks per round, one weapon. Now have him dual wield. Can you picture setting while a fighter does 16 attacks? Yeah. Enjoy.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-06-29, 07:08 PM
Problem with a fighter having access to BAB so fast? Simple. Iteratives. Think about it. Fighter could have 3 attacks at lvl 4. Also, because iteratives I don't beleive are actually capped at 4 attacks per round, the BAB just stops growing for most at a certain point, by level 20, this fighter could potentially have, unless my math sucks which it could because this was off the top of my head, 8 attacks per round, one weapon. Now have him dual wield. Can you picture setting while a fighter does 16 attacks? Yeah. Enjoy.

And the problem would be...?

Getting multiple attacks at low levels is easy enough; with the feat spent on raising his BAB by +1 or +2, he could have picked up Martial Study (Steel Wind) or Rapid Shot, for instance, or he could be a barbarian or monk and get extra attacks from class levels. If it's the combat slowdown you're worried about, you can do 16 attacks and more at higher levels, when you have more to keep track of, and that's still doable if you know what all your abilities do.

Ouranos
2010-06-29, 07:22 PM
Add in Haste. Add in other bonus attack abilities. A BAB feat would seriously qoudruple a fighter's attacks per round, on top of that, His attack bonus would go up by around 20, so the majority of them would hit most targets. it would not fix any of the typical problems faced by melee, and only create more.

Milskidasith
2010-06-29, 07:25 PM
BAB doesn't grant more attacks after the fourth, IIRC. I'm pretty sure the example is monsters, since racial HD constantly progresses BAB.

At least, that's what I remember, I could be wrong since it's not a situation that ever comes up.

Temotei
2010-06-29, 07:37 PM
BAB doesn't grant more attacks after the fourth, IIRC. I'm pretty sure the example is monsters, since racial HD constantly progresses BAB.

At least, that's what I remember, I could be wrong since it's not a situation that ever comes up.

Base Attack Bonus
A base attack bonus is an attack roll bonus derived from character class and level or creature type and Hit Dice (or combinations thereof). Base attack bonuses increase at different rates for different character classes and creature types. A second attack is gained when a base attack bonus reaches +6, a third with a base attack bonus of +11 or higher, and a fourth with a base attack bonus of +16 or higher. Base attack bonuses gained from different sources, such as when a character is a multiclass character, stack.

That's what I thought and think, but I couldn't find anything in the epic rules stating that iterative attacks didn't go beyond this. Still, I'd say since it doesn't say anything about extra attacks for every +5 bonus above +6, iterative attacks stop at four.

Ouranos
2010-06-29, 07:37 PM
Well that's just it, NOTHING in the game progresses a PC's BAB after 20. You start getting an Epic AB after lvl 20, your BAB does not advance after your character level hits 20. So it's complicated.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-06-29, 07:40 PM
Add in Haste. Add in other bonus attack abilities. A BAB feat would seriously qoudruple a fighter's attacks per round, on top of that, His attack bonus would go up by around 20, so the majority of them would hit most targets. it would not fix any of the typical problems faced by melee, and only create more.

What are you assuming this BAB feat would do? I'm thinking maybe +1 or +2, but either you're thinking of a single feat that doubles BAB or you're assuming a fighter would sink every bonus feat into this one feat. Besides, as pointed out, only racial HD grant BAB above +20, so just like Practiced Spellcaster limits its CL increase to your character level, a hypothetical Practiced Warrior feat shouldn't let BAB rise above +20.

Milskidasith
2010-06-29, 07:40 PM
Well that's just it, NOTHING in the game progresses a PC's BAB after 20. You start getting an Epic AB after lvl 20, your BAB does not advance after your character level hits 20. So it's complicated.

Incorrect, racial hit dice advance your base attack bonus past twenty.

Ouranos
2010-06-29, 07:53 PM
Racial hit dice are included in a PC's character level. SO the max BAB is still 20 as far as I was aware. A stackable feat like this is asking for trouble. Now, make it not stack, and it becomes viable. But still, it just isn't worth existing.

Milskidasith
2010-06-29, 08:02 PM
Racial hit dice are included in a PC's character level. SO the max BAB is still 20 as far as I was aware. A stackable feat like this is asking for trouble. Now, make it not stack, and it becomes viable. But still, it just isn't worth existing.

You are still incorrect. Take a look at any epic monster; their BAB will be above 20. (For instance, a great wyrm force dragon has a BAB of 75)

Ouranos
2010-06-29, 08:03 PM
And explain to me how an epic monster is a PLAYER CHARACTER?

Temotei
2010-06-29, 08:05 PM
And explain to me how an epic monster is a PLAYER CHARACTER?

Monster class?

Milskidasith
2010-06-29, 08:08 PM
There is still the fact epic monsters with higher BAB don't have more than four attacks, which was my point... for an example that actually has a weapon in its statblock, look at the solar. 22 BAB, but only four attacks instead of the expected five.

lesser_minion
2010-06-30, 05:08 AM
I doubt that a feat like Practised Spellcaster for fighters would be too problematic.

You might not even need to complicate it too much -- classes with weak BAB generally don't need it improved.

hamishspence
2010-06-30, 05:32 AM
I think the demon prince imprisoned under Thay, in Champions of Ruin broke the general rule- with six attacks using one limb.

Jota
2010-06-30, 06:20 AM
One take. (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Practiced_Fighter_%283.5e_Feat%29)

Practiced Fighter [Fighter]

Your fighter level and BAB are increased by 4, up to the maximum of your HD, for the purpose of feats and pre-requisites.

Prerequisites: Fighter level 1

Benefit: Your fighter level and BAB are increased by 4, up to the maximum of your HD, for the purpose of feats and pre-requisites. For example, a level 1 fighter/level 6 sorcerer has a BAB of +4, but can qualify for feats and prestige classes as if he had +7 BAB and 5 fighter levels. This does not actually increase your BAB, grant you additional attacks, or allow your BAB or effective fighter level to exceed your character level.

Special: This can be taken as a fighter bonus feat.

I'd say as long as it doesn't go above your hit die that mitigates a lot of the potential issues (though even this one has some issues with regard to early qualification for gish-oriented prestige classes).

One could even eliminate the requisite fighter level (along with benefits of being a level X+4 fighter) from the example above without unbalancing it too much, perhaps, but that's not what the OP was asking for. I don't think there is any way to do what the OP is asking, however, without being (even more?) unbalanced, so... SOL?

Glimbur
2010-06-30, 12:39 PM
I doubt that a feat like Practised Spellcaster for fighters would be too problematic.

You might not even need to complicate it too much -- classes with weak BAB generally don't need it improved.

Rogues and Swordsages and other 3/4 BAB people would be sorely tempted by a feat to give them another iterative and up to +4 to hit. Not that that is a terrible thing, but they're the category I see benefiting the most from this feat, not fighter types.

Temotei
2010-06-30, 12:43 PM
One take. (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Practiced_Fighter_%283.5e_Feat%29)

I'd say as long as it doesn't go above your hit die that mitigates a lot of the potential issues (though even this one has some issues with regard to early qualification for gish-oriented prestige classes).

One could even eliminate the requisite fighter level (along with benefits of being a level X+4 fighter) from the example above without unbalancing it too much, perhaps, but that's not what the OP was asking for. I don't think there is any way to do what the OP is asking, however, without being (even more?) unbalanced, so... SOL?

Actually, I might propose this to my groups.

skwidkidd
2015-04-19, 10:55 PM
Ok so how would you get a feat like this as a battle scholar? http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Battle_Scholar_(3.5e_Class)