PDA

View Full Version : What is the craziest thing you have introduced into your campaign?

TheFirstStraw
2010-06-28, 11:24 PM
I just learned aboout The Deck of Many Things in this week's Penny Arcade (relatively new to D&D), and I was wondering what some other ridiculous, game-altering artifacts, spells (beyond the obvious wish and miracle), or "things" there are. Favorites? Most infamous? Even canonical NPCs can fall into this catagory.

Things you made up are acceptable, to a degree.

If it is not obvious, please explain why said thing is so "broken".

PId6
2010-06-28, 11:30 PM
Do the PCs count?

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-06-28, 11:38 PM
Vampire sheep. Lots of vampire sheep. On the off chance that my players read this, I'm spoiling a big surprise. You know who you are: stay out!
They're going to fight a demon prince, (which they know about) who takes the form of a giant undead sheep (which they don't), after a cult dedicated to giant sheep (which is entirely non-canon as far as they know) became a running gag in our campaign.

White_North
2010-06-28, 11:43 PM
Do the PCs count?

You, sir, win.

A lot.

Masaioh
2010-06-28, 11:46 PM
A demiplane made of glow-in-the-dark rainbow jello.

sciencepanda
2010-06-28, 11:57 PM
Extradimensional parasites that take the form of fat, vaguely Russian men named Boris.

TheFirstStraw
2010-06-29, 12:00 AM
A demiplane made of glow-in-the-dark rainbow jello.

Chromatic Ooze? An epic level Ooze boss with its own demiplane?

I think I just made that up.

Ormur
2010-06-29, 12:06 AM
A thought bottle.

TheFirstStraw
2010-06-29, 12:08 AM
Extradimensional parasites that take the form of fat, vaguely Russian men named Boris.

That's the scariest thing I've heard of since... vampire sheep!

Do they mimic "the Boris" so they can get next to you and feed off your essence? GrossX3.5

I sort of picture them the way iszes(sp) can look like a group grandmothers in "The Maxx".

The Shadowmind
2010-06-29, 12:08 AM
Chromatic Ooze? An epic level Ooze boss with its own demiplane?

I think an epic level ooze boss who is its own demiplane is better.

TheFirstStraw
2010-06-29, 12:10 AM
Also, If you happen to have the time on your hands to post on this thing anyway...

If you are talking about an actual thing in D&D, it'd be nice if you could link to a description of it (or give a summary yourself).

Or don't.

You know.

That's how I roll.

I don't roll like that.

TheFirstStraw
2010-06-29, 12:13 AM
I think an epic level ooze boss who is its own demiplane is better.

That's what I meant, I guess. You are just inside an infinity of phosphorescent jello: sifting through the translucent wastes for slices of fruit to survive, constantly taking damage, searching for magical artifacts and armor of those who came before, trying to concentrate on a spell that can get you out.

hangedman1984
2010-06-29, 12:38 AM
one dm of mine introduced a baby tarrasque

we will miss you Terry

Caphi
2010-06-29, 12:41 AM
Do the PCs count?

/thread

I almost created a series of artifacts that each controlled a specific die size (it was a very silly campaign, and yes, I mean metagame dice). I never got around to actually using them, which was good because I was busy trying to figure out how to make the connection work in practice without destroying the world.

boomwolf
2010-06-29, 12:49 AM
At a section of a massive dungeon i made i placed a monster that was a part of the terrain.

On another section i had multiple rooms occupie the same space. Teleport was a bad idea to get to or out of there.

Ichneumon
2010-06-29, 01:09 AM
I'm not sure what is the craziest thing I“ve introduced my players to, but the giant demonic goldfish of doom comes a long way.

Thajocoth
2010-06-29, 01:12 AM
I had a rock that, when rubbed, as a Move action, would advance a ritual's casting by 1 minute. That's 2 minutes per round if one person is using it. Many more if people huddle around it.

Rituals are not as bad in 4e as I had previously thought.

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-06-29, 01:31 AM
Homebrew, but still nutty. Years prior to 4.0, I had crafted a Faerūn-based campaign setting in the dark spirit of Ravenloft. In this alternate history setting, the prime material had been used as the battlefield in a massive war that sucked all of the major planes into the conflict. The setting's name "Silent Nights" comes from the setting's starting planar taint in the aftermath of this extended conflict. Games using this setting begin with plane of shadow having already begun the process of bleeding into the world. As such, shadowy illumination harshly mutes sound and darkness (both magical and mundane) is affected as though under an absolute Silence effect.

As games in this setting continue, additional official and homebrew planar themes/traits begin to manifest in the world. With these variables rolled for, even identical modules run with the same characters can end up drastically different scenarios. If the inability to hear/make a sound in the dark isn't enough to unsettle the players, there are always plenty of other planar-themed effects just dying to further complicate their lives.

TheFirstStraw
2010-06-29, 01:35 AM
Homebrew, but still nutty. Years prior to 4.0, I had crafted a Faerūn-based campaign setting in the dark spirit of Ravenloft. In this alternate history setting, the prime material had been used as the battlefield in a massive war that sucked all of the major planes into the conflict. The setting's name "Silent Nights" comes from the setting's starting planar taint in the aftermath of this extended conflict. Games using this setting begin with plane of shadow having already begun the process of bleeding into the world. As such, shadowy illumination harshly mutes sound and darkness (both magical and mundane) is affected as though under an absolute Silence effect.

As games in this setting continue, additional official and homebrew planar themes/traits begin to manifest in the world. With these variables rolled for, even identical modules run with the same characters can end up drastically different scenarios. If the inability to hear/make a sound in the dark isn't enough to unsettle the players, there are always plenty of other planar-themed effects just dying to further complicate their lives.

That's pretty cool

(DC:25 to listen check to see if you can hear my awkward compliment)

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-06-29, 01:40 AM
(Is the DC to hear text an epic variant in a splat I've not, eh, heard of?)

:smallwink:

sciencepanda
2010-06-29, 01:48 AM
That's the scariest thing I've heard of since... vampire sheep!

Do they mimic "the Boris" so they can get next to you and feed off your essence? GrossX3.5

I sort of picture them the way iszes(sp) can look like a group grandmothers in "The Maxx".

Well, the campaign is still ongoing on this forum, so I don't want to give away their origin, in case one of the PC's happens to read this, but basically what they do is they produce a sort of heavily addictive venom that causes people to physically waste away before turning into another one of them. :smallbiggrin:

When they're disguised as humans, they basically look like identical men with beards and furry hats. But they're made of various exoskeleton plates that unfold into various misshapen claws and the like.

And this is in a fantasy setting, bare in mind.